[Caelum's Scrapbook] Use Your Words.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The player scrapbooks forum is literally a place for writers to warm-up, brainstorm, keep little scraps of notes, or just post things to encourage themselves and each other. Each player can feel free to create their own thread - one per account - and use them accordingly.

Postby Caelum on October 21st, 2011, 3:03 pm

On Mizahar’s 50k November Challenge

50k+ words in November for one PC. I’ve decided to do it as I’m approaching a “sit and wait” point in my writing outside of forum. This does mean, however, that anything for Dor or Izdihar is most likely going to let stew for a month. Before Feast of All Saints (read as Nov. 1st) I’ll catch up on all of their stuff, though I highly doubt any of their threads are going to be concluded before then.

Caelum has needed some attention for awhile, and boy is he going to get it. His Bible is coming along just fine, but slow. Below is a quick and dirty of what I’ve already got going or already in the planning stages for him.

Started

To Start Nov. 1st
  • stir with mighty song. Flashback solo in Ravok, part the second following and all our orisons., featuring Alander Jin and Caius Delucia. Not Begun, self mod permission gained. (Verilian)
  • dark side of the sun. Autumn travel solo in Alvadas, featuring Rahel Aurelius. Not begun, self mod permission gained. (Fallacy)
  • butcher the lamb. Flashback solo in seas off Denval, part the second following lie down with lions., featuring Cian Noc. Not begun, self mod permission gained. (Tabernac)
  • Bother Bina about That Thing
  • Bring Caelum to Denval
  • Annoy the hell out of Tabernac for gnosis thread (and give pie)
  • Actually do some training threads (OMG, right?) in Denval: Medicine, herbalism, projection, glyphing, writing, unarmed combat, etc

Guest Mods Under Caelum
Caelum
The best way out is through.

Words: 1093768
Joined roleplay: March 18th, 2010, 10:27 pm
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Featured Thread (1) Guest Storyteller (1)
Lore Author (1) Peer Reviewer (1)
Trailblazer (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Caelum on October 21st, 2011, 3:24 pm

- dark side of the sun. Autumn travel solo in Alvadas, featuring Syna cursed Rahel Aurelius. Not begun, self mod permission gained. (Fallacy)

* Hrm. Note: Maybe see if anyone wants to join me in that one.
Caelum

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Faroul on October 21st, 2011, 7:01 pm

CaelumWriMo? Sounds fantastic! And training threads - holy crap! I know how much you hate them, so this sounds like the perfect incentive.

On that note, I recently came across a really excellent training thread. Maybe it will help inspire you. Check it: "Stealing What Should be Mine" by Avari. Rather than feeling like a repetitious, unemotional log, Avari's attempts to learn lockpicking are completely integrated into the story. There is tension! Drama! Actual stakes! And she netted some incredible xp from it, too.

Everything by the acrobat Kit Rowan is also great. Most of her threads are, in essence, training threads, but they never fail to be interesting.

As for your previous post, "A Note on Language and Character Portrayal": thank you, because it is incredibly helpful. (Not to mention the anecdote was awesome.) "Every word must fall like a brick" - I think I need to tattoo that on myself somewhere. :lol:

It reminds me of something you do with Izdihar. To preserve her mysteriousness, you rarely step inside her headspace, rarely spell out her thoughts. Rather, you describe her reactions externally, leaving the reader to make of it what they will. It's so perfect for a (duplicitous?) Eypharian politician. I think I will take a page out of your book and try that with Faroul. My thread with Rak'kena was a ton of fun, but I always felt like I was exposing too much.

Thank you for the tips! I love the crap out of your scraps.
Faroul
Condemned

Words: 52454
Joined roleplay: July 25th, 2010, 10:55 pm
Race: Human, Benshira
Character sheet
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Featured Thread (1)

Postby Malia on October 23rd, 2011, 7:51 pm

Your writing advice has helped me so much in the past few days.
And your ic writing has been one of my main inspiration sources lately.

That is all. :)
Malia
The Remnants

Words: 229208
Joined roleplay: August 20th, 2009, 5:44 pm
Blog: View Blog (18)
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
Featured Character (1) Trailblazer (2)
Power Fork (1)

Postby Caelum on October 23rd, 2011, 10:43 pm

the Work Space

A while back people were posting up pictures of their work spaces. I was fascinated by this the way a nosy neighbor might be. Having been in the middle of a move, however, my own work space consisted of where ever in the hell I could find a place to sit down.

Now happily ensconced in my new house, the room that will ultimately be my office is presently loaded down with unpacked boxes and random pieces of furniture we haven't decided on a place for yet. That being the case, I have sort of taken over our front parlor. The house has an odd layout that I sort of adore. It was obviously remodeled at some point between its late seventies construction and now to the degree of walls being knocked down and rooms added, et cetera.

One of the results is a front room spanning half the house that we're pretty sure used to be chopped up into a butler's pantry, a dining room and a parlor. I have planted my flag (when my husband was looking the other way) and occupied it for all of my writing.

This needs to change, actually. I want my office set up, but in the meantime, I'm not unhappy. Nope.

Where I sit and pace in front of (I'm a mobile writer, driven to stand up and whirl about like a psychopath):

The Various & Sundry Other Things In the Room (yup, and a cat):

By the way, thank you Faroul and Malia, for the advice and kind words. It means a lot to me to know y'all are checking in.

- katie.
Caelum

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Caelum on October 24th, 2011, 3:17 pm

This day was made to drive me mad. On the bright side, Selena feels the same way. We've decided to have a party. Until then, this will suffice in the cheering upness department.

Caelum

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Bolden Denusk on October 24th, 2011, 7:26 pm

aww *hugs shyly* Katie, you're a fantastic and knowledgeable writing inspiration for everyone on miza! I hope and wish for the best for you and that things get better.

*offers cookies and hot beverage*
Bolden Denusk
Cursed

Words: 196002
Joined roleplay: July 14th, 2011, 7:37 pm
Blog: View Blog (6)
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Talen Stirling on October 24th, 2011, 7:45 pm

My T-shirt, which it took me great effort to find and take pictures of, has only one thing to say.

Talen Stirling
"What the petch...!?"

Words: 173032
Joined roleplay: May 30th, 2011, 11:07 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Faroul on October 24th, 2011, 8:13 pm

And:
Faroul
Condemned

Words: 52454
Joined roleplay: July 25th, 2010, 10:55 pm
Race: Human, Benshira
Character sheet
Plotnotes
Featured Thread (1)

Postby Kamalia Timandre on October 24th, 2011, 9:19 pm

Like the lovely people above me, I've been faithfully reading your scrapbook since you started your writing workshop. Your writing tips have been very helpful!
And I know this has been said before, but your writing and Caelum are my greatest inspirations on this site.
I wish I could thank you enough!
Kamalia Timandre
I send a hail of burning ice!

Words: 254985
Joined roleplay: September 8th, 2009, 8:37 am
Blog: View Blog (1)
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 7