[Docks] Why is money never free? (CLOSED)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A lawless town of anarchists, built on the ruins of an ancient mining city. [Lore]

Moderator: Morose

[Docks] Why is money never free? (open)

Postby Tarelde on July 14th, 2011, 1:06 am

Tarelde, after being shoved into the crates, and about to stab that petching human, rolled over to see an Isur pulling a kid, human kid, from the water and a silver haired man. She got up and walked towards them, cautiously as is the normal, to hear the last part of a conversation that the kid was finishing.“I think you were watching our interaction the whole time so why didn’t you help me? This monstrosity,” He pointed towards the Isur. “threw me in the water. Why would I grace you with my name when you have no manners?” Tarelde inserted herself into the conversation and said "Well, if an Isur threw you in the water, I'm sure he had a good reason. Not like they're known for random violence as humans are. And it's not as if you appear to have any manners either kid." She examined the Isur as she normally would, to find nothing extraordinary about him. Now the silver haired man, was a different matter. "And you" Tarelde said pointing to the silver haired man "Are interesting."
Tarelde
Player

Words: 8306
Joined roleplay: July 9th, 2011, 4:47 am
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Antar on July 14th, 2011, 2:41 am

Antar smiled and nodded politely at the woman's approach, he wasn't apt to cause trouble if there was a means to avoid it. In sunberth, trouble only served the purpose of making one's left unpleasant, or perhaps it might be more apt to say; shorter.

He looked carefully at the younger thief, nodding at the young man's words to show he was listening. There was almost a moment where he replied before the new woman went and interrupted the young thief's words... At the woman calling he himself interesting Noth's smile might have become a bit wider with a small crook turning corner of his mouth. "Why thank you madam for the compliment. It seems we have several interesting people I've kept an eye on for a bit."

Almost as if he was ignoring the subtle grousings of the boy thief, not in a vindictive way but rather as if he was amused, Noth continued, "I will not deny that I watched what happened between my young thief friend and this Isurian, but only a fool approaches people who seem to be... caught up in the heat of the moment."

He gestured to the boy, and then to the Isurian, "Not that having passion about one's work isn't a good thing. I would just rather not approach people who aren't on friendly terms with others which brings me to the crux of the manner at hand. You see, I'm looking for a few good men," Antar paused a moment to lick his lips, "and ah- women of course that I might interest in enlisting their aid for future jobs, but am rather circumspect about just whom I value as... associates.

Noth stroked his chin a little as if musing to himself for a moment, "Perhaps it might be best to ask whether it might prove beneficial in the short term to find a different place to discuss such things? The boy's ability to get into trouble could be useful if he learns how to get out of it just as quickly.

Noth furrowed his brow as if he was concerned about something, "Besides, he really should be given a moment to warm himself up don't you think? My tent is not far from the outskirts of town, perhaps it might be best to give you three shelter for the night and talk in the morning.However..." Noth's seemingly pleasant eyes turned as cold as a winter mountaintop's embrace as his eyes burned into the others."I will only warn you once, you do not steal from me, nor from my companions there. Such things... would not prove beneficial to you if wish to keep the breath in your body."

As if the conversation was resolved he turned, noting an interesting man out of the corner of his eyes as he loudly spoke enough for his voice to echo, "Of course, a gambler of sorts might be welcome to so long as he does not think there is anything but a night's shelter to be gained."

He turned back to the others and said one last thing, "Oh of course, if you do come, please leave any prejudices at the door. My companions and I do not enjoy... altercations in our presences. But we won't shirk from them either if it's necessary."

OOCI'll be shunting this into a separate thread up for those interested to continue as I figure it might be good if someone wishes to have this thread graded we split off and close it down. I know I've been asking if aberdon, and bob wanted to do a thread, but Tarelde and Darik, and even a nuit Reok would be welcome :p
"I am the Shadow and the smoke in your eyes, I am the ghost that hides in the night."
~Back, but slow. :)
Antar
"A thousand voices screaming in unison..."

Words: 902531
Joined roleplay: June 15th, 2011, 3:10 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 1
2011 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Aberdon on July 14th, 2011, 7:23 am

((Silly Mizahar gave me a 404 error and double posted.))
Last edited by Aberdon on July 14th, 2011, 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aberdon
What was bound is now broken

Words: 24834
Joined roleplay: April 13th, 2011, 11:53 pm
Race: Isur
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Aberdon on July 14th, 2011, 7:23 am

OOC: In the future, Antar, Please wait for posting order...I had a reaction typed out and had to edit it with your post.

"Aberdon," the Isur answered, a wary eye on the stranger's bow slung across his back. People who traveled by rooftop rarely did so to enjoy the view. Assassins and thieves traversed above the streets, favoring paths spaced by leaps and bounds rather than what the flat earth had to offer, "And what do I call you...watcher?" The thief squirmed on the ground beneath him, shivering in the sudden cold and no doubt favoring his twisted wrist. Aberdon no longer had mercy for the brash fellow, he couldn't learn lessons or understand that his worth was tantamount to nothing in the lawless city. Inevitably his attitude would kill him long before it benefited him.

So the child he ignored.

Shifting the Isurian crossbow on his back, Aberdon held Noth in careful consideration. His bow was the most dangerous part about him, his body showed more signs of being a dexterous fighter than particularly hardy or strong. In a fist fight, Aberdon would likely have the upper hand.

The approach of the gambler did not concern him, but the extra attention was beginning to be more trouble than it was worth. It wasn't his intent to reveal his hand too soon or let the darker powers of Sunberth know he had come to kill among them.

"Limits are only set to those who must abide them," Aberdon answered the gambler, casting him a stony look, "I saw no helping hand from you in the fight on the docks, are you limited to pacifism when you are able to profit off the suffering of others?"

Bob, and leeches like him lived to simply bask in Sunberth society. A worm could fester with the other maggots and do quite well, a king among the grub. Those carrion gamers would bet their earned gold in a day to watch someone die in an alley.

Sickening.

In a moment, he took a quick step to Darik, grasping the boy by the front of his shirt and lifting him to the side of a building. His muscles hissed under the sudden weight of the thief, but Aberdon pushed ahead and held him against the wall. "A monstrosity would have let you drowned boy, and if your way is to yap at a stronger predator, at least learn to do it out of their reach."

Letting him slide off the wall, he looked back at Noth. The night hadn't gone as he wanted, not in the least.

"Your bow could have stopped the fighting in a moment, were you curious to see the result or just didn't care?”

As the woman inserted herself into the situation, the Isur inclined his head in at least a modicum of respect. She hadn’t fought particularly well, but women were always to be afforded at least the benefit of the doubt. Her respect for his kind did not encourage him much, however. He knew nothing of his race, only that his yellow arm was some aberration, a miscolored fluke perhaps…or even that he was something different, a bloodline more. Either way, it made no difference. He had his reasons for throwing the boy into the water as he had his reasons for continuing on the child. In the youth, Aberdon saw a little of what he could have become…and it was unsettling.

“Well…watcher,” he said at last, facing Noth completely, “What sort of work do you need?”
Aberdon
What was bound is now broken

Words: 24834
Joined roleplay: April 13th, 2011, 11:53 pm
Race: Isur
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Tarelde on July 14th, 2011, 3:18 pm

Tarelde, looked at them, and then responded to the Silver Haired man. "I'd be happy to come along, that is, if you don't mind having a Konti whore in your camp for the night, besides I might prove....useful. My name is Tarelde Rielle, Sword Arm and also a current whore for Brega." Tarelde said as she bowed. Tarelde then eyed everyone, the familiar kid, the Isur, and most of all the human Antar. "So if you are ready, I am, no point in staying out here at the docks in the chill."
Tarelde
Player

Words: 8306
Joined roleplay: July 9th, 2011, 4:47 am
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Bob Barton on July 14th, 2011, 5:24 pm

The jig was up. The archer spotted Bob trying to hide in the corner. Looks like Bob is going to have to work on his stealth if he was going to become a good spy. If this was a real job, he'd probably be mobbed by dozens of guards and beaten to death, or worse. The archer was really friendly to the rest of the group but Bob knew it was just a facade. He saw the man at the bar the other day and he had the eyes of a true killer and was intimidating his own allies. Bob had a choice now to either follow them, or run.

Bob walked down the docks after he made his choice to give the man a chance. If he was setting up the group for a trap of sorts, at least the boy, scary Isurian and wicked Konti might be able to defend themselves or distract the archer's allies long enough for Bob to run. He begun to convince himself with a chain of logic. The boy wouldn't have survived Sunberth without a few tricks up his sleeve especially with a mouth like that, tbe Isurian is already big so there is no need to doubt his capabilities and the Konti he already saw in action earlier eventhough he didn't like it.

When he joined the group, he kept his distance from the Konti woman. He didn't like her at all and he was not going to hide it. Then the Isurian spoke up and insulted Bob's honour however little he had. Bob would have helped but it started with a 2 on 1 in the nuit's favor so there was no reason to help...and he also cannot control himself much when it comes to gambling. The Isurian was speaking so highly of himself but he forgets that this is Sunberth. And where was he? Bob answered the Isurian coldly "You belittle me and the archer here for not helping them but I see you are here spending your time threatening a child? Why don't you tell that to a mirror first." As he said that Bob hit his cane downwards to help him stand. The smashing sound on the wooden dock should help with getting the Isurian's attention.

He turned back to the archer who still had his mask of friendship on. "So when do we leave? As long as your shelter and hospitality has no strings attached I will hear you out."
Bob Barton
Player

Words: 1121818
Joined roleplay: July 2nd, 2011, 12:21 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
2011 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Darik on July 14th, 2011, 6:45 pm

A woman came over from the fight and insulted him for no reason. She wasn’t there, but she sounded like she was stating facts not opinions. That was very odd considering what had happened earlier in the day. Wasn’t this the women who had sworn to kill him? The darkness must have shaded his face from her view. Sometimes the darkness was a better defense than a real disguise.

“Hay women, I have manners. My nickname could be manner man. Talk to the Isur if you want to lecture someone about manners. He threw me in the water when I politely told him my opinions. Hay, it wasn’t a lie! It was just omitting some important information.

The man with the longbow then described how he didn’t insert himself into fickly situations. Well that described his personality in a nutshell. “Yep you’re a coward. That’s easy to tell from your appearance and your dignified talk. I bet if I waved my dagger in front of you would disappear in a second.” He soon regretted it when he offered them a job. A job meant money and Darik liked money.

”Nevemind, take back my previous comment. Your one of the bravest warriors in the Land of Mizhar! So you’re going to give free lodgings for the night and a job, which could make me a few mizas richer? I am listening.” Maybe this guy wasn’t as bad as he thought. He might be a rich coward.

He then did something atrocious that insulted Darik. He said that Darik couldn’t escape. Ha, this man was a terrible spy because he should have done some more research. Darik could get out of situations quite quickly if he wanted to. This man must also be stupid for underestimating him. Smart people don’t underestimates people. Then the man pulled the final straw. He told Darik not to steal anything. That goes against his nature! That’s like telling a carnivore their only allowed to eat plants. It just doesn’t work and it never will. Nature always beats nurture. He didn’t want to be associated with someone that would stop his natural preferences. Those kind of employers weren’t worth the effort. They always ended up cheating you in the end, anyway. Darik hated putting effort in and then not getting a substantial award.

He didn’t get time to respond to the coward’s final comment because the Isur took matters in his own hands. Or whatever he calls those things that grabbed Darik’s shirt. The Isur had incredible strength that was certain. He lifted him straight in the air. He then slammed him into the wall. He flayed his legs as he insulted the Isur.

You are a monstrosity. Look at your left arm. You’re hiding something under it. What is it, are you forsaken by some god? Or is it a mark of shame a fellow Isur gave you in a duel? Either way you are a shame to your race.” The Isur let him go after his comments. This caused him to fall at an alarming speed. He caught himself on with his two hands before he could slam into the unforgiving ground. His knees also connected, scrapping against the hard ground. He took a quick look at them. They were bleeding ever so slightly. His wrist also burned with agony, it didn’t react very well against things touching it. When he was safely on the ground, he rolled his shoulders reliving his tension. He was ready to give them all his piece of mind. The gambler ended up interrupting him from speaking. He cradled his wrist as the gambler talked. It didn’t hurt as much as getting the vortex tattoo but it was still quite painful. When the gambler was finally done, Darik took a deep breath before he spoke.

“Are all of you off your bouncers??? First you’re going to follow this man, when you shouldn’t.” He pointed towards the lean archer. “ He stood by, not breaking up the fight! Who wants to follow someone that can’t ever lead? Like the Isur said he didn’t do anything regarding the fight. He just stood somewhere watching. He will probably give you all the dirty jobs than claim all the credit. Do you want to employed by someone like that? You might as well get a real job then trusting a lunatic like this.” He took a quick, shallow breath before he continued.

“Secondly Isur, you’re a jerk. Jerky, jerky, jerk. I think that sums you up pretty good. Someone tells you something you don’t like and then you try to kill them. That’s like the dictionary definition of jerk. So you will fit perfectly in Sunberth. So don’t think you’re better than everyone else because you’re pure. Because you aren’t even close to pure. I have met someone pure and she’s the complete opposite personality of you. Thirdly, I am cold, tired, wet, hungry, and my left wrist hurts like a mother. So see ya suckers! Darik out. He held out his right middle finger making it so the whole group could see how he felt about them. He then walked away from all the imbeciles. His pain caused him to stumble. He almost fell into the docks multiple times. Luckily, he didn’t take another late night swim.

oocI will come to the new thread because he will try to spy on the meeting.

With the power invested in me, from the players of this thread, I proclaim this thread ended. It was awesome roleplaying with you guys/gals. :)

The end..or is it just the beginning?
Darik
Troublemaker

Words: 231903
Joined roleplay: July 6th, 2011, 5:42 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Reok on July 14th, 2011, 10:19 pm

OOC: With the greatest power of thread starter in me, I declare this thread closed!
Wanna hear a touching story? Once upon a time, you died. I lived happily ever after. The end. There's your touching story.
Reok
Unlimited Potential

Words: 5492
Joined roleplay: July 1st, 2011, 5:56 pm
Race: Nuit
Character sheet

[Docks] Why is money never free? (CLOSED)

Postby Leviathan on September 1st, 2011, 3:52 pm

Thread Award!
Reok

Skills
Skill Gain Info.
Interrogation 1 --
Running 1 --
Escape Artist 1 --

Lore
List of Lores

Tuic

Skills
Skill Gain Info.
Stealth 1 --
Unarmed Combat 1 --
Intimidation 1 --
Weapon (Dagger) 1 --

Lore
List of Lores

Leviticus

Skills
Skill Gain Info.
Weapon (Sickle) 1 --

Lore
List of Lores

Antar

Skills
Skill Gain Info.
Stealth 1 --
Observation 2 --
Rhetoric 2 --
Leadership 1 --

Lore
List of Lores

Bob Barton

Skills
Skill Gain Info.
Gambling 1 --
Hypnotism 1 --

Lore
List of Lores

Tarelde

Skills
Skill Gain Info.
Weapon (Sword) 1 --

Lore
List of Lores

Darik

Skills
Skill Gain Info.
Stealth 1 --

Lore
List of Lores

Aberdon

Skills
Skill Gain Info.
Observation 1 --
Rhetoric 1 --
Unarmed Combat 1 --

Lore
List of Lores

Additional CommentsFor future reference, this is a ridiculous amount of PCs in a single thread. Not saying you can't do it, but dear lord it's confusing and hectic for me. Not only that, but it seemed like several of your actions weren't aligned, such as half the time I thought you guys were fighting next to the shore and half the time you were in an alleyway.

Tuic, when attacking a PC, you need to make sure they are okay with it. Also, when attacking a PC, you can't declare your actions AND their results. If you are trying to sneak up on them and throttle them, you can't also do it unless they comply with your actions. Just for future reference.

I'd like to see Darik swim away from Sailors while Zulrav is just waiting to ruin him. :3
Bad News Everybody. School is picking up, Exams are beginning to happen, homework is growing time consuming, I may soon be evicted from my apartment, I'm dealing with severe and physical fights among several of my best friends, and I can't seem to find a time to get much needed sleep. I'm terribly sorry, but don't expect to see much of me for a long while.
Leviathan
Adapt, Migrate, or Die

Words: 281278
Joined roleplay: July 25th, 2010, 6:57 pm
Race: Staff account
Character sheet
Office
Scrapbook

Previous