Quest II. The night the towers cried [open]

In this epic quest, a group of adventurers is abducted during a thunderstorm and pitted against an eldritch enemy.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

An inland sea created by Ivak's cataclismic fury during the Valterrian, the Suvan Sea is a major trade route and the foremost hub for piracy in Mizahar. [lore]

II. The night the towers cried [open]

Postby Cilaes on August 9th, 2011, 3:53 am

Goat-headed One, I have certainly never been called that before, fortunate for the young lady Leth hangs, or... Hung over us before the storms, or I may have begun feeling less courteous. But outwardly Cilaes merely shook his head, the heavenly serenity that had settled across his face undisturbed. "I could not say without knowing who is was that summoned us. Though the Watchtower on Mura seemed to be attracting, or perhaps producing, much of the lightening, but the trees obscured my view... I can only say it was not Leth, though great changes are very likely moving now all the same." It was a long answer to a short question but the Ethaefal had found himself thinking aloud. The mysteries of the night had to have a clear source, no god acted so violently, on such a massive scale without identifying themselves, right?

The Pycon's body was cool and heavy in his hand as they moved the short distance to the man. And she began insulting him before Cilaes could speak. Perhaps the best response would be encouragement for the man, not a reaction to her... Attitude. "Yes, I've heard of the Lady, though I was unfamiliar with her sign. It seems to be in abundance here though. And Miss, though I doubt it will mean much to you I am quite certain our words are heard, each syllable that falls from our lips. Though perhaps that is the sort of faith that comes only with personal experience."

They do hear, of course my Lord does, Cilaes thought, remembering his nightly prayers, and how silent the moon had seemed from the mortal world. But this was evidence in itself that the Ukalas was still strong, was it not? he wondered, glancing about at wondrous place they had appeared.
Common, Kontinese, Pavi
Thought

School is a busy, busy place. I will be posting as regularly as I can, but to stay balanced only expect posts on Monday and Friday (maybe the weekend). Sorry for the delays!
Cilaes
Melancholic Medic

Words: 44297
Joined roleplay: April 24th, 2011, 6:38 pm
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet

Postby Talen Stirling on August 9th, 2011, 9:57 am

Talen stood up fully and looked around before he answered. The sight of the sky, with what he heard was Mizahar from hushed voices around him, had him reeling. Yet he was angry now and wouldn't show fear again. "Endless amounts of it if she wished, though perhaps not if that puppet is you." He smiled a brief false smile, and then looked back at the Ethaefal. His appearance was abit like an anchor dragging him back to the situation, and out his state of shock.

He hesitated abit, unsure of what to say. Instinctively, he introduced himself, although common courtesy seemed silly in a place such as this. "My name's Talen Stirling. I'm a member of 'The Watch' in Denval." He reached out for a firm handshake and decided to ignore what he believed to be a so-called "Pycon" 'lest it learn some manners.
Talen Stirling
"What the petch...!?"

Words: 173032
Joined roleplay: May 30th, 2011, 11:07 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Malia on August 9th, 2011, 10:51 am

People gathered and discussed their conditions. Some prayed to their Gods and Goddesses, others tried to blow off steam by insulting or ridiculing others, some tried to find a solution through serious debating. Either way, most of them looked very young and very reckless.

The Nuit was still lingering at the edges of the group around the two humans who had arrived shortly before her. One of them seemed to know bits and pieces about magic, the other one had some knowledge of the Goddess Priskil. She gathered as much from listening to the conversations, yet she didn’t interfere or share her own opinion. Far too early was it for her to make her existence known and take a side. Whatever it was that the Gods had planned for them, she wouldn’t take action until she knew more, until she had detailed information to draw from.

From the corner of her eyes, she saw a figure of pure white joining the crowd, wrapped in an exquisite cloak and with a staff in one hand. Obviously a Konti, even though the hood left her face in the shadows. Malia would watch and observe her, even more than the others. Konti were long-lived, as were Ethaefal, and bound to be wiser and more powerful than most other pulsers. Mortals.

Sitting down on her backpack, Malia watched and listened and that was the only thing she’d do until something significant happened or until someone addressed her.
Malia
The Remnants

Words: 229208
Joined roleplay: August 20th, 2009, 5:44 pm
Blog: View Blog (18)
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
Featured Character (1) Trailblazer (2)
Power Fork (1)

Postby Ariel on August 9th, 2011, 6:15 pm

With an agitated sigh, Ariel flicked the reins, and gave Rafael a quick kick in the side, urging him forward and into the steadily growing crowd of confused people. "Watch out, pycon and her kitten coming through," she shouted as her kitten made strained steps, more than likely exhausted from having to drag the poor pycon's money behind it. "Oh don't tell me you're getting tired already," Ariel whispered sweetly to her mount, as she leaned forward and patted his neck. Meow. "Oh dear, perhaps we did take a little too much," she whispered as she looked back up to find herself sitting directly behind a giant. Maybe that one can help us, she thought as she leaned forward in the saddle, and whispered, "wait here," to her kitten before she pulled her feet out of the stirrups, and swung her right leg over the side of the saddle. Seconds later, she had landed with both feet on the ground, with a muffled thud.

Ariel held tightly onto the reins as she stepped around her mewling kitten, brushing his fur with her free hand to help him calm down. "It's ok Rafael, this giant should be able to help us," she whispered as she looked up at the drykas again, taking note of his wavy and somewhat unruly brown hair; how he tried to keep it out of the way with a bandana. Ariel tried to catch his pale green eyes, but found it difficult. She sighed, it looks like we're going to have to make a spectacle of ourselves just to be noticed... as usual. Slowly, she stepped over to Riki, letting the reins lose their slack as she moved closer. When she reached him, he tugged on his pants leg and shouted. "Hey you! Do you know what's going on here?" she asked. There was a slight pause, "where we are?" There was another slight pause, "and before you ask, we are real. There is a tiny clay person talking to you, a pycon... I know from experience what's running through your mind. How you think you lost it, that you're dreaming, or have encountered some strange new bug..."

Ariel scrunched up her face a little, irritated by what people thought of her kind. "Anyway, it'd be nice if we could travel together, since poor Rafael here is getting tired," Ariel continued, as she tugged lightly on the rein, sending a small ripple through the thin leather. "And it's difficult to see anything from way down here... he'll follow you if you let me on your shoulder. He's really a good little kitten; just in case you're worried about him biting you or something." Meow.

OOCRiki, you have my permission to pick up Ariel, as well as the sack of money tied to her kitten for safe keeping. Rafael will follow you as long as you hold onto her. Feel free to put her on your shoulder and be entertained. Notice to everyone and anyone else involved in this thread- if you try to touch Rafael or steal Ariel's money he will claw and bite you to death. You haz been warned. Thanks =)
Ariel
I'm NOT Short, I'm Fun-Sized!

Words: 181717
Joined roleplay: December 1st, 2010, 9:27 pm
Race: Pycon
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Medals: 1
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Zlakalia on August 9th, 2011, 11:00 pm

Zlakalia's smile widened further for a moment. She loved making big people mad. Maybe one of them would try to hurt her, get themselves hurt in the process. Or even accidentally hurt each other! It was so much more fun that way.

But then serious thoughts filled her head. 'The tall one has been nice, and I don't even know what's going on. I can't go around making enemies. Yet.' Zlakalia wanted to sigh, but instead just let her face take on a sad mask, warping the grin into a stress-ridden brow and closed her eyes tight. "I'm sorry. Perhaps the gods are hearing us whisper. The end of the world has not been kind to my livelihood so far; it's been causing more stress than it has been releasing." She lowered her cloak a bit further, trying to look more relaxed and let loose the tension she had just been holding.

Her hair behaved, laying down in long strands. "I'm Zlakalia. I apologize for not being as polite as my past teachings would have taught me to. And thank you for your help, Cilaes." Her voice lost its patronizing tone, becoming much softer. Zlakalia was more annoyed with other reactions she saw around her, but she let it slid. Allies first.
Last edited by Zlakalia on August 10th, 2011, 4:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zlakalia
The Psycho Pycon

Words: 69462
Joined roleplay: July 25th, 2011, 7:48 pm
Race: Pycon
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Ma'ii on August 10th, 2011, 12:06 am

Ma'ii notices that a white-robed figure has joined him at the periphery of the group gathering around the green-skinned Akalak. It was obvious, despite the robes, that the figure was female. She held an intricately carved staff in her hands and her hood was up, covering her face.

Everywhere else, smaller knots of people were forming. As far as Ma'ii could tell, there was no rhyme nor reason as to why they were here.

The Akalak copied Ma'ii's gesture and though he could not understand most of what the green-skinned one said, he did manage to make out the words for 'peace,' 'Shiber,' and 'Tawna.' He took that to mean that he was safe from being attacked, at least by that particular group.

"Yes. Peace." he called out to the group.

Ma'ii looked around to see if anyone was willing to help him bridge the communication gap. He also wanted to take note of who was with whom, where they were and, if there was any indication, why.

"We are with you in the raven, in our gods, in our wisdom. When you leave us, you take us. When you walk alone we follow. So take no path that would turn you from honor. For when you turn aside, we all do."
— Kalanue Chaktawe Blessing
Ma'ii
"Brother Coyote"

Words: 7934
Joined roleplay: September 11th, 2009, 10:27 am
Race: Chaktawe
Character sheet
Scrapbook

Postby Darik on August 10th, 2011, 2:15 am

”If I wasn’t in such a good mood I would make you take back your comment scum.” He walked away from the man because people like him ruined Darik’s good mood. Lost in thought, a kitten passed by him unnoticed.. Subconsciously he had moved aside, stepping on moving objects isn’t smart. Because of his luck he took a look behind him and saw a kitten. The rider or the kitten wasn’t important. The bag was. Inside it there was something that made the rustle of steel hitting steel. It was either some valuable object or miza’s. Both were desirable. And it would be a east steal!

He followed the kitten’s path eagerly ready to attack. He stopped following when he saw it stop at a Drykas. A Drykas is harder to kill then a pycon. He was going to need to watch both of them very carefully and see if there was an opening to steal some of that kitties money.

oocDarn, I was going to attack the kitty!
Darik
Troublemaker

Words: 231903
Joined roleplay: July 6th, 2011, 5:42 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Hadrian on August 10th, 2011, 3:31 am

"Hello," he said, smiling faintly at those who knew him or came to know him. He nodded to Nilkayn, to Riki, and then... shit, Cassandra. The lovely Zeltivan-cum-Ravokian could be trouble. If this were a dream, it might quickly turn toward the nightmare -- Nysel forfend -- and so he tried a bit of simple Hypnotism, the best he could do, reaching out with his aura to flood hers with the relief of recognition. His name could wait, or perhaps she would forget if he was very lucky.

Suddenly he worried intensely about the friends he had left behind in that festering cesspit.

"I suppose... we might have been Summoned." Certainly there seemed to be a curve to the platform, and runes. The mark of Priskil made him wonder if this had anything to do with the Watchtowers. He had heard reports that those marked by Priskil could still utilize them safely, but he had never seen it done.
Hadrian
Most smartest and best damn tapper.

Words: 1050304
Joined roleplay: March 21st, 2010, 6:50 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 3
Featured Character (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1)

Postby Riki Stormheart on August 10th, 2011, 4:20 am

Riki kept quiet, watching instead of speaking. He did not know anyone who had collected in this strange place but those who knew each other seemed to be talking and trading ideas with one another. He did not mean to eavesdrop but when everyone was as lost as him it seemed more of a survival technique than a rude way of learning other people's business.

At Riki's feet a small voice called to him along with a tug to his pants. He looked down to see a little clay figure on the floor accompanied by a kitten. "What in Rak'keli's name?" Riki was caught by such surprise that he did not even bother to speak in common, his native Pavi slipping from his tongue. Almost as if the little clay figure could read his mind she explained herself as a Pycon. He had heard about them before, although he had never met one. Slowly he knelt down next to her, looking from her to her cat. "Ummm, I don't know really. I don't really know anything about magic except for healing." He held up a hand with his mark from Rak'keli shining in opal to show what he meant. "You are welcome to stick with me though. I'll make sure to keep an eye on your cat too. Back where I am from I work with animals. I'm Riki, of the Stormheart Pavilion. You?" He smiled lightly at the clay figure before holding out a hand to her so she could get up on his shoulder. "Do you need me to hold your cat too?" Took her money, placing it in his medicine bag.

When he looked up from the Pycon and the cat he spotted the boy from before. The one who did not believe in the divine. "Hello Godless man. Stalking one of Navre's creatures or do you still believe that we all were spawned out of nowhere?" A small smirk lightened his face as he straightened up. He was not one to crack a joke with someone he had just met but the feeling had struck him and for the love of the Gods, who knew if this was even real?"
If Riki is speaking in this color he is speaking in Pavi.
If Riki is speaking in this color he is speaking in Common.
Riki Stormheart
Not a Mongoose

Words: 68456
Joined roleplay: February 24th, 2011, 6:20 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Satu on August 10th, 2011, 4:51 am

Normally so driven and obsessed, it was a blessing to the Konti’s spirit that she felt a small measure of peace. Unaware that she had found it, her normally insane thoughts settled, and Satu slipped into remembrances of Konti Isle. And it was not the warped memories that her time in Opportunity had given her, but sweet, untainted memoires of when she had been young, and unaware of the world beyond Mura and its unending waters.

Satu hummed a tune, an old melody she had often danced to, and her mind strained to remember its song. But where her mind failed, her body remembered, tuned as it still was to movement and flow. Slowly the Konti stepped around the campfire lighting the darkness, her companions forgotten in the memory of movement. Bare feet felt the earth, small toes lifted lightly. Stepping smoothly, one foot turned outwards and she moved into it, and turned to step across. Thin muscular arms, pale as moonlight rose to accompany the melody in her mind, and on her lips. And her hands, positioned themselves in the air, with fingers long, in a most feminine manner.

The tune returned stronger, more clearly and her legs moved more quickly around the fire, lost within the dance of her memories. Satu’s dress lifted from her ankles in the breeze her passing made, to billow around her as she turned. Shadows filled the ground, a wild dancing darkness. The Konti worked to remember the sweetness, but there was none. Only death, and tragedy, and betrayal! The HeartSeer struggled against herself and the madness that accompanied every waking moment. The lovely steps faltered, and she stumbled.

And as she fell, the world changed around her. But it was not the falling that harmed her. It was the sudden onslaught of emotions, from too many at once! How many she did not know! They were confused, frightened! Weak! Her HeartSense tore at her core. Avalis’ gift, the gift of knowing another’s emotions, was as a curse upon her spirit in this moment. Satu cried out from the force of it, stunned. She tried to catch herself, but could not and fell to the now tiled floor, white curls of hair trailing behind her. The tiles… the pattern… her breath caught as she stared at the tiles, and the repeating design upon them. No! It couldn’t be! Her beloved god’s enemy?

Slowly, and cautiously the Konti stood, head high and proud as she looked upon the others in the room. Then just as painstakingly, Satu began to sift through their emotions, one by one with her HeartSense… to find strength… and power.

Though inland far we be,
Our souls have sight of that immortal sea
Which brought us hither.
~William Wordsworth, Intimations of Immortality

Signature Credit goes to:
archistock.deviantart.com
jurgita.com
catskullcollector.deviantart.com
and the ever lovely and helpful Hex for putting it all together!
Satu
Flower of the Sea

Words: 296249
Joined roleplay: September 13th, 2009, 3:34 am
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 5
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Peer Reviewer (1) Trailblazer (1)
GP's Angels (1)

PreviousNext