Archelon is October's Featured Contributor!

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

IC News travels slowly in Mizahar. Fortunately there is a constant stream of news from around campfires, from caravan to caravan and from merchants to merchants. Within this forum lies the best of the best of this talk. Also, within this forum, OOC news from the staff and players can be found. This forum requires all posts to be 'approved' by a Founder before they are displayed. So if you post within, be patient. Your post did display - it simply will not show to everyone until approved as actual 'news'. Please keep all Introductions, Status Updates, and various other discussions in their appropriate forums and leave this area for game news!

Postby Tarot on October 1st, 2011, 6:33 pm

Hello Mizaharians,

the big turtle of Sunberth, AS Archelon, gets this month's edition of the Featured Contributor award. Enjoy the insight into moderation and, well, my slowness in answering PMs mercilessly exposed in this month's installment! :)

So, tell us a little about yourself. We know you are a turtle and an AS, and you are based off Sunberth. Why did you become a Storyteller and how are you liking the experience so far?

This turtle came to Mizahar after a series of other sites, where it was a mod. I became a storyteller for the sole reason is that the tortoise saw levi was struggling like mad and getting the dreaded Writer's block. I like the experience so far as a turtle and the players involved..

You're a young mod, but you've risen to prominence also because of your 'grading blitzs'. As a grading virtuoso, do you have any advice for fellow Storytellers who have a pile of ungraded threads to read through?
The turtle's FAQ:
1. Templates
- Not only a template of what you want your grading post to look like but a template on *how* you grade. Gain a basic understanding that novice skill level xp points are suitably going to increase faster then competent level and faster then expert and master scores. This means that in expert and master levels in order to improve on one in between one level to the next the individual will have to dedicate more A. Time. B. Development. C. Ingenuity to their posts.
-copy and paste the desired skills of the player to a notepad on your desktop This can even hold a copy of your template grading post so you are not constantly flip between browser windows to slow you down and distract you.
- Ensure you read a thread or a page of a thread (10 posts) fully once before you grade it , then go back with an open notepad with your grade post template and the person's desired skills to plot out your assessments.
2. Set Specific times aside to grade and moderate- ST's are players too and the easiest way to 'burn out' is to get swamped.
3. If you are swamped- seek help. Someone if they have the free time may answer, but most of all : be patient. Find possible solutions to problems before you pass it on up the line.

What threads do you enjoy reading the most? Is there a thread genre you wish people wrote more of, and thread types that seem to be a little overdone?

In all my years rping, I've realized this type of question is androgenously skewed. Yes there are schemas that the turtle knows are present in a bunch of threads. I don't mind reading anything so long as I know the person in question has put in sufficient effort to their work based up their own abilities. Even the most horribly incorrect grammatical work may truly show the dedication of someone writing in a different language: I respect that: Greatly. As for any specific genre and 'types of threads' : You'll find a lot tend to look the same at the core of the characters. While "love'' threads are sometimes a chore, I find that as long as player or writer has done their best, then they are pallateable like a crunchy head of lettuce leaves. As for any favorites: I view each and every thread differently so I can't really point to one or the other.

In your Storyteller's opinion, what are the ingredients that make a thread shine and become a little classic? Do you reward them when you spot them?

Most often, it is a balance of attention to detail, and development of a scenario. I *know* when someone's 'done the research' on their training threads. I reward that nicely when they institute real word techniques into their combat style and play to give their character a more 'polished' approach.

Sunberth is the place mess goes when it wants to get messy. How are you planning to improve the city (or already have)?

I'm sorry, but I don't agree ;). Sunberth is a mess, only because there is a great divide between two types of people: the haves.(the one's in power and king of the anthill) and the have nots. Moreover, I feel the best improvements to the city will be in how some of the new dungeons and places to explore are set on... *ahem* "Tarot's Nightmare mode for mizahar playing." Including a giant pre-valterian manor which an Alahean mining baron died in long ago (or did he? ;) )

Come up with a COOL (since Siiri has the monopoly on HOT) one-sentence quest idea for Sunberth, no matter how preposterous!

I'll do better with four words: Ghosts in the mist.
Or perhaps a better four words: Run for your lives!

(We're still waiting on your approval of levi's pm to run that ;) Come on tarot. Don't be a slacker :P)

Ouch. Are you? Ahem. Tell us about your style as a mod. How do you challenge a PC with a clear goal and how do you go about helping a PC with no goal at all?

I have an extremely loose hand with PC's. I believe that in a modded thread the story should be added and built upon by both the player and the storyteller. With each one contributing something to whole to make it enjoyable ^-^. It's not the standard, (i know) but it's the Turtle Standard. I'll occasionally lapse back into demanding the dreaded 'contextuals' that are sometimes needed elsewhere if a thread gets bogged down, or outright create something out of thin air for a PC to help develop them. But the greatest help to give a Player is to be a resource to them and to help give them options. No choices are the 'wrong' one's here, even if they do have consequences ;).

What's your thought process in creating a new NPC for a quest or location? Do you look at real or fictional people for inspiration?

Four words: I do the Research.
It doesn't matter if it's a real or fictional person I'm basing the npc on. I always plan 10-12 steps ahead for possible situations later down the line: like future knighting quests to Lodestar Isle: I set up the pc's of aquillar hot springs to be a support base for such things even if they never see any actual use ;).

Just between the two of us, what are your big secret projects moderation-wise? Don't worry, you can deny everything later!

You know about the giant one! >.> Get back on that pm! :P But in other news: I usually link such projects together , starting out with one or two pc's and letting them grow on their. For an example: Darian right now is in a modded thread which will set up a few things down the line involving the extermination of an 'evil' and devious kryssus cult ^-^. He's doing a great job so far so ya' better get to reading!

Yes, yes, the PM's been replied to, so you should be good to go. And finally, can you post a picture that sums up Sunberth's very essence for our players?

This is the closest picture I could find, and if I could photoshop it I'd add a shanty town along the shores and a leviathan curled up peacefully on the bottom of the lake :D. I hope he gets his muse back soon!

To all players and staff: Thanks for your time in reading this all as a featured conribuwhatsamacallit. Keep on doing the great jobs you do to make Mizahar fun. If any other person needs help or assistance learning or being explained something- don't brush them off. Lend a helping fin- Erh Hand! Yeah that's the right word! Lend a helping hand!
Tarot's thread tickets: sold out. Not accepting any more threads for the time being unless I promised you one. Sorry for the inconvenience!
Tarot
May you live in interesting times

Words: 766317
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:29 pm
Blog: View Blog (11)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Thread (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Being Tarot Award (1)
O RLY Decoration (1)

Postby Ulric on October 1st, 2011, 6:39 pm

Congrats, Turtle!
Ulric
The Warrior-Poet

Words: 629666
Joined roleplay: May 20th, 2010, 5:51 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 3
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Donor (1)

Postby Aidara on October 1st, 2011, 6:44 pm

Congrats!!! What an honor! Thank you for all that you do :D
Aidara
The "i" is silent

Words: 946840
Joined roleplay: October 6th, 2010, 5:20 am
Race: Human, Inarta
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 10
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Peer Reviewer (1) Trailblazer (1)
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Wind Reach Seasonal  Challenge (1)
Power Fork (1) 2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Fallacy on October 1st, 2011, 6:47 pm

Woo! Congratulations :) You've been working hard and you totally deserve this honor. In other news, I already do all the things you recommend doing while grading ;) Oh, and great picture representing the essence of Sunberth. :D

12 hour shifts have started, and Im working 6-7 days a week mandatory overtime. My replies will be slow until I can adjust to this new groove.
Fallacy
I think you're crazy just like me.

Words: 493223
Joined roleplay: June 23rd, 2011, 7:58 pm
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 2
Featured Contributor (1) Donor (1)

Postby Darian on October 1st, 2011, 6:55 pm

Congratz my turtle buddy! You so most definitely deserve it!
I have retired Darian, and I apologize for any inconveniences this has caused with anyone threading with this character. Feel free to NPC him in any threads that he is involved in if that is of course ok with the moderator. Again, I am sorry for any inconveniences.
Darian
Player

Words: 270515
Joined roleplay: April 25th, 2011, 2:12 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Growl on October 1st, 2011, 6:59 pm

Gratz!
I carry the words of the dead.
Growl
Lost Soul

Words: 167857
Joined roleplay: April 27th, 2011, 12:51 pm
Office

Postby Cheshire on October 1st, 2011, 7:00 pm

Congrats Archelon!! You totally deserve this. Thank you for all of your continuing hard work!!
Avanthal Lore | Vantha | Avanthal | Morwen
~-----------------------------------------------~
When I was just a kitten,
They said I'd be a gem.
But now that I'm a Cheshire Cat,
It's odd how odd I am...
Cheshire
Twenty Seconds of Insane Courage

Words: 336788
Joined roleplay: August 4th, 2010, 9:12 pm
Blog: View Blog (4)
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 5
Featured Contributor (1) Peer Reviewer (1)
Trailblazer (1) Power Fork (2)

Postby Gossamer on October 1st, 2011, 7:03 pm

This is my favorite interview yet. I'll never look at turtles the same way after having Archelon in our lives. Mizahar, I hope you totally know how lucky you are to have a great guy like him roaming around. Hugs and bites of lettuce must be sacrificed to him daily. Seriously. The Turtle is A+ and made of pure 100% intelligent amazing.
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6357243
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Caelum on October 1st, 2011, 7:31 pm

Congratulations, turtle dude!
Caelum
The best way out is through.

Words: 1093768
Joined roleplay: March 18th, 2010, 10:27 pm
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Featured Thread (1) Guest Storyteller (1)
Lore Author (1) Peer Reviewer (1)
Trailblazer (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Next