Questions on Ethaefal

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Moderators: Liaisons, Assistant Storytellers, Regional Storytellers, Domain Storytellers

Questions on Ethaefal

Postby Eridanus on February 3rd, 2012, 1:41 pm

Hi, so I have a few questions that I'm pretty was not precisely specified by the wiki:

1)
The Ethaefal are free of the physical frailties of their race when in celestial form.
and
Their bodies remain untouched by age and its frailties in either form
One mentions frailties when in celestial form, but the other says in either form. What exactly are these frailties? Can I infer that ethaefal are at peak, optimal physical and mental shape only in their celestial form? Or in both?

2)
While in Ethaefal form, they neither eat nor drink or have any of the bodily processes brought on by food. Meager sunlight or moonlight sustain them. Hunger and thirst are felt only when in an earthbound form.
Can I clarify that if sunlight or moonlight is able to sustain them in celestial form, they only have to consume half the usual diet for their race (in mortal seeming)? What happens if they are enclosed in an underground place with no light, and therefore no sunlight or moonlight to sustain them? Will they 'starve' to death? Can they instead choose to eat to replace to sunlight or moonlight? Also, can they instead not eat at all during their mortal seeming and choose to 'bilge' on sunlight/moonlight?

3) I don't know what gave me this idea, but do Ethaefal require sleep in their celestial form?
NOTICE: I am currently mostly inactive til August. As such, guild activities are temporarily halted (watch out for major revamps, changes and organizations when I'm back in full force). Any activity with Eri will be rather slow as well, but I am slowly readjusting back to "Mizahar life", so to speak, so do PM me if we have a thread that I left hanging and we'll talk.

"You must be one hardcore scholar, Eri." (Laszlo)
First winner of the prestigious Mirage's No Kill Medal.
Eridanus
It's Peanut Butter Jelly Time!

Words: 1312082
Joined roleplay: October 24th, 2011, 2:03 am
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) 2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)
2011 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1) 2011 Top NaNo Word Count (1)

Questions on Ethaefal

Postby Caelum on February 3rd, 2012, 3:03 pm

Mornin’. :)

Eths do not physically age in either their eth form or their alternate form. The decreased physical and mental capacities associated with aging therefore do not affect them.

While in their eth form, they are completely physically sustained in matters of nutrition by sun or moon light. Therefore, while they may be hungry or thirsty in their alternate form, they do not necessarily have to eat or drink at all. Though, if they do not, they will probably be ravenous by the time the sun or moon rises.

If eths are kept in an enclosed space where no sun or moon light is capable of reaching them, they will need to eat and drink in a normal manner. Just being “in eth form” does not provide the necessary nutrition. Being in the sun or moon light does.

I would theorize that if eths are enclosed away from sun or moon light, they may “dim” or grow “ill”. That’s me extrapolating, however.

Eths require sleep in the usual manner of people no matter what form they are in.

Colombina may potentially have something different to say on these counts, but I’m 99.9% sure I’m on the mark.

- k.
Caelum
The best way out is through.

Words: 1093768
Joined roleplay: March 18th, 2010, 10:27 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Featured Thread (1) Guest Storyteller (1)
Lore Author (1) Peer Reviewer (1)
Trailblazer (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Questions on Ethaefal

Postby Lessira on February 3rd, 2012, 10:19 pm

Thank you for asking this Eri. I really needed to know too haha. This was brought up a few times now in chat, but are Eth's considered magical/divine beings in their celestial form? Is there blood the same color as a mortal and an Eth? If not then what color is it? Do their horns/blood have special properties in their celestial forms, and if they loose a horn while celestial does it disappear when they turn back to mortal?
Lessira
I am Fallen...

Words: 67629
Joined roleplay: January 27th, 2012, 5:31 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Questions on Ethaefal

Postby Colombina on February 3rd, 2012, 10:54 pm

Cae's replies are golden. If you don't get access to sunlight or moonlight, you'll need to supplant their absence with food in your non-Eth form. Being kept from light will make you more "spiritually" sick than physically, but such things may manifest physically.

Eths have no roots in world/personal magic, but they do have a touch of the divine and miraculous properties. I prefer the term miraculous as opposed to magical as "magic" is a literal force in Miza while a miracle lends itself toward a divine source. Their blood has no special properties, I didn't specify its color, so I leave that open to interpretation just as I do their transformations from Day to Night.

Eths don't lose horns, they just die. They wouldn't survive what it takes to remove them. And they're not really horns, that's just a descriptive term in absence of something better. Check the wiki:

From their temples flow graceful horn-like shapes that appear carved from glassy stone. These unbreakable "horns" vary in form but often resemble elaborate jewelry or intricate crowns circling the head, but they never grow forward as they are more adornment than weapon. The horns come in the varied shades of the milky jade stone including: green, lavender, red, yellow, white and black.

The cool thing about the "horns" is that they're unbreakable, and they change color. But upon death, the "horns" lose their miraculous properties. The body of an Eth is tied so closely to their soul, its absence strips the Eth of what makes it special. I imagine dead Eths bypassing the full decay process and turning into dust (sparkly dust even *_* ). In the same way, the undying nature of the soul (among other things) sustains the Eth's body, keeping it from aging.

These are valid questions because Eth physicality is hard to pin down. You're dealing with something stuck between mortality and a semi divinity. There are some mortal trappings the Eth can't avoid and others they bypass. The best way to think of them in Eth form is genetic perfection meets tiny miracles. I hope this helped as opposed to further confused.
Getting to Know Me

[Insert awesome picture of scantily clad woman and something with wings here]
Feeling very poorly lately, have mercy on your absentee merbadger. (2/20/13)
Colombina
Mizahar's Only Mer-Badger Founder

Words: 632175
Joined roleplay: March 29th, 2009, 8:56 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 2
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) O RLY Decoration (1)

Questions on Ethaefal

Postby Eridanus on February 3rd, 2012, 11:04 pm

Thanks Katie and Bina for the clarifications ^_^ Now I can at least assure myself that I know more about eths xD
NOTICE: I am currently mostly inactive til August. As such, guild activities are temporarily halted (watch out for major revamps, changes and organizations when I'm back in full force). Any activity with Eri will be rather slow as well, but I am slowly readjusting back to "Mizahar life", so to speak, so do PM me if we have a thread that I left hanging and we'll talk.

"You must be one hardcore scholar, Eri." (Laszlo)
First winner of the prestigious Mirage's No Kill Medal.
Eridanus
It's Peanut Butter Jelly Time!

Words: 1312082
Joined roleplay: October 24th, 2011, 2:03 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) 2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)
2011 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1) 2011 Top NaNo Word Count (1)

Questions on Ethaefal

Postby Lessira on February 3rd, 2012, 11:22 pm

Thanks Bina! This really helps a lot :). One more question, is Leth going to be getting a Gnosis soon?
Lessira
I am Fallen...

Words: 67629
Joined roleplay: January 27th, 2012, 5:31 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets