Location [Riverfall] The Citizenship, Housing, and Labor Aid Office

If one seeks citizenship, housing, and work in Riverfall, a guest or visitor must apply here first.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

[Riverfall] The Citizenship, Housing, and Labor Aid Office

Postby Artimus Arkham on July 3rd, 2013, 7:02 pm

30th of Summer, 513

Fox FriendIriene Padfoot is a kelvic fox that Arty managed to pick up on his way to this building. Upon speaking with her in chat, she said that she'd still be with me at this point, but I don't know if she plans to make a post. Arty is under the impression that she is a normal fox. Thread

The first thing Artimus noticed as he stepped into the Citizenship, Housing, and Labor Aid Office was the cooler air that immediately began a slight tingling on the man's face, somewhat moist all over from sweat and mist. Whether it was the thicker stone walls or just the lack of direct sunlight, he couldn't tell, but he was glad for it. He was certain his newly acquired foxy friend was certain of it too and thought just that as he swept wet locks of dark hair that clung to his forehead back behind his ears. He couldn't imagine what something covered in fur felt like right about now.

Shutting the door behind him, Arty moved forward with nothing less than a mix of confusion and curiosity. He had just arrived in the city this morning and it was the first time he'd ever been away from home. As he passed the stair well heading up, the Akalak behind the desk gave his customary greeting. "I suppose I'm looking for a job and a place to stay, sir," Artimus responded nervously. Two forms were slid across the desk for him to fill out.

Arty set down his furry friend, who oddly enough he hadn't even managed to learn the name of yet. Taking the two forms and sliding them to an empty section of the desk, he filled them out to the best of his ability, but stared at them for a long time before finally turning them in. His hands fell down and clasped one another, thumbs fidgeting in circles as he awaited a response.

Name: Artimus Arkham
Race: Human, Mixed
Relevant Skills: Observation, Acrobatics, Unarmed Combat, Stealth, and Comouflage
Preferred Employment: Courier
Expected Stay In Riverfall: Indefinitely if I like it here.

Name: Artimus Arkham
Type Of Building Looking For: Big enough for myself and a pet fox. Nothing fancy is needed.
Size: Any
Condition: Nothing beyond mild repairs needed.
Expected Stay In Riverfall: Indefinitely if I like it here.
"Life is a joke and I live it until it is no longer funny." ~ Artimus Arkham
Artimus Arkham
The Grey.

Words: 9498
Joined roleplay: June 14th, 2013, 5:17 pm
Character sheet

Postby Iriene Padfoot on July 6th, 2013, 10:18 pm

30th Summer 513

Iriene entered in with Artimus as he approached the office of Citizenship, Housing, and Labor. The mist leaving residue on her furry coat. She sat in his arms as they entered into the stone room. Although she had been insulated by her fur coat the humidity caused her breathing was relatively heavy and she panted. Tongue lapping against her lower part of her snout. She knew that it would be cooler if she changed into a her human form but she wasn't quite ready to unveil herself. It might become necessary if she couldn't find a way to cool down quickly.

Her head turned as she heard the door close. Walking about the room for a bit she eventually turned back to the desk where Artimus had been standing with on of the Akalak on the help desk. Iriene watched as the two exchanged their greetings. All the other transactions of papers were to difficult for her to see from ankle level. Padfoot walked over to the side of his feet. She was interested in assisting her new friend but she had no clue what to do. Standing beside him she sat their in her foxy form shifting forms into a brown haired woman wearing not even a stitch of clothing. She then looked over to the Akalak, "I would like to have a job as well. And I probably should check in as well?" After speaking to him she looked over to Artimus and smiled.

Name: Iriene Padfoot
Race: Kelvic
Relevant Skills: Tracking, Wilderness Survival, Hunting, Foraging, Unarmed Combat
Preferred Employment: Courier
Expected Stay In Riverfall: Depends on a few different situation.
Iriene Padfoot
Night Walker

Words: 4705
Joined roleplay: June 29th, 2013, 12:39 am
Character sheet

Postby Magpie on July 12th, 2013, 7:15 pm

OOC: I tried to be a little discerning about who was still active, so if I missed your post, please let me know! If anyone has any questions about the jobs suggested, please feel free to post in here or PM me.

Vanator

Malix raised his eyebrows slightly as he heard the Drykas’ request. There were plenty of Drykas in the city, but not many applied for citizenship with their homeland just beyond the city walls.

"Please complete this and return it to me."

He slid out the paper and turned back to his files while he waited for the man to finish. When the completed form was offered back over the desk, Malix looked over it with a discerning eye. “Battle axe, Armsmaster… Looks good. See Mizra at the Kendoka Sasaran for your competency exam, where, provided you pass, you’ll be given a certificate to give to Herrlock at Riverfall ink for your Kuvan tattoo.” Placing the paper at the top of his “In” box, to be filed later, he gave Vanator a warm smile. “Good luck.”

Sami

Malix looked up at the young woman briefly as she approached the desk, immediately marking her for an Inarta with her fiery red hair. Unsuitable for Nakivak then, unfortunately. Not many had come in recently, and he was always anxious to fill his quotas.

“You need to fill out the following…” He slid the employment paperwork across the desk and returned to his forms as he waiting for her to return. When she did, he looked over the paper and nibbled on his bottom lip. “Shortbow, wilderness, survival…reimancy? You know, a request just came in the other day…” Leaning over, he pulled a slip of paper from a small folder at his left. “The Stained Pelt just lost the young man who mans the front desk, and are looking for another. I’m sure your archery will come in handy in maintaining the archery range, and maybe they can even use some help heating the tanning vats.” He looked up at Sami over the paper with a skeptical look. “They may send you over to Loads of Leather as well to help out, since they’re owned by the same family? But that’s something you can negotiate with them. The pay you can expect is about 3gm a day.”

Writing a message in neat Tukant, he handed Sami another slip of paper. “If that sounds ok, you can take this message up there and see if they’ll have you.”

Souris

The young woman who walked in was clearly nervous, and clearly not Konti, so Malix heaved a sigh at another missed opportunity for a Nakivak.

When she returned with her completed form, he looked over it with a hum of interest. “Cooking and dancing? I’d recommend…” He paused to pull a piece of paper from a file. “Going up to Laviku’s Secret, they’re always looking for help. Pay is about 2gm per day. Though if I may offer a little advice…” He leaned forward on a forearm and game Souris a sympathetic look. “Don’t let Alia intimidate you too much. She’ll work you hard, but just do as she asks and you’ll be fine. You’ll probably start out as wait staff, but I’m sure there will be opportunities to work up to cook. Who knows, they may even have you do some dancing for entertainment.”

Jotting a few notes down in neat Tukant, he handed the slip over. “Just take this over, and they’ll see about hiring you.”

Loken

The dark haired man before him had an unnaturally serene air about him, and Malix stirred discreetly. He was armed – as most people in Riverfall were – and Malix immediately wondered if he had arrived looking for citizenship or a job.

He didn’t inquire about employment however, and Malix slid the citizenship form across the desk. When it was returned, completed, he hummed slightly as he looked it over. “Well, you can test in either Unarmed or the Sword. If Unarmed, you’ll want to go to the Tuvya Sasaran, and if you’d prefer the sword, the Kendoka Sasaran. After you pass the test, they’ll give you a certificate you can give to Herrlock at Riverfall Ink for your Kuvan mark.” He paused to file away the application form. “Good luck.”

Jack Benefort

A human man walked in and Malix ignored him until he approached the bench. It was a busy day thus far and if the man wanted something, he could come ask for it.

He did, and an employment form was promptly slid across the desk. When it was returned, Malix’s eyebrows lifted in interest. “A teacher? We don’t see many new ones come through here. I know the Academy’s always looking for new teachers, and you can work your way up into great pay, depending on what you teach. Anything from 1gm a day to 15!” He wrote a small note in neat Tukant, and handed it over the desk. “Take this to Valkahah Academy and they’ll see to the interview process. Good luck.”

Artimus

A man walked in, in the company of a small fox, which garnered Malix’s immediate attention. The fox was clearly not wild, and was, in all likelihood, a pet Kelvic. The man was looking for housing and employment, so Malix flipped through his housing file while he was filling out the forms.

When the completed forms were presented back, Malix looked over them briefly. “On the housing…” he began absently, still looking at the paper. “Just about any development in the city will do. Atri’s Place, Northwind Suites – though it’s mostly musicians there, and the Pearl House, to name a few. Simply talk to the landlord to get set up with a room.

Now, on the employment side,” he paused to look over the employment form. “I’m afraid we don’t have a formal courier service, however that is a bonus for you, if you’ve got the enterprising spirit for it! You can open a courier service here in the city. If that sounds like something that interests you, you can present a business plan to the council to get you started. Couriers typically make between 1-5gm a day. If you’d prefer a regular job, however, I may recommend the Riverfall Amphitheatre outside of town. They’re always looking for performers, and with your acrobatics skills, you’ll fit right in. Performers get 4gm a day. What do you say?”

OOC :
If you’d like to start on the exciting path to owning your own business, PM me and we’ll get you started! It’s a bit of work, especially in the beginning, but it’s very rewarding if you’re up for it.

Irene

Malix stopped short and made a small noise of shock at the sudden appearance of the nude woman. He’d been right in his Kelvic assessment, but hadn’t expected her to transform right then and there. He took her form as well and looked it over, trying to disguise his shock and sudden rise in lust for the woman who apparently had no problem displaying her nudity.

“Well, I’d…I’d offer you the same options I’ve offered your friend, however…” He leaned over his desk, intending his words specifically for her. “Being a young woman Kelvic, you have the unique opportunity to become a Nakivak, a woman who bears an Akalak child for the city of Riverfall. All you have to do is bear a child, and you’ll be paid handsomely. The Council will pay for your care and all the medical expenses the pregnancy entails. How does that sound?”

OOC :
If you’d like to pursue the Nakivak option, PM me, and we’ll get it set up. You can also have a job at the same time as being a Nakivak, if you like.
Office ~ Riverfall ~ Starting Guide ~ Q & A Forum
Moderated Threads: Full up right now, sorry!
Magpie
A-flutter

Words: 324445
Joined roleplay: January 28th, 2013, 4:49 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 1
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Rinya on July 12th, 2013, 10:15 pm

Day 16 Summer, 513 AV

Rinya sighed as she shoved the door open to Citizenship, Housing, and Labor Aid Office. She wasn’t looking forward to finding a job, but if she wanted to socialize and learn more about society, it was definitely one of the top priorities. Besides, she wanted to advance in her archery and that would certainly require money to do so.

Either way, the coolness of the building felt nice after the heat of the day had been beating on her back since she nearly crawled off the boat. She still felt like her sea legs were wearing off, and she resisted the urge to lean against the door to enjoy the moment. Taking a deep breath, she let her eyes wander the office before landing on the desk.

Making her way over to the desk, Rinya leaned over the top of it with her hands. “May I have a job application?” She fought to keep her tone gentle, and not give away the exhausted undertone that would make her appear unfriendly. “Please?” She gave a timid smile as the form was handed to her.

Name: Rinya
Relevant Skills: Longbow, Hunting, Fishing, Dancing
Preferred Employment: Something that has to do with either hunting or fishing, but I wouldn’t mind some kind of chance at gaining some experience with dancing.
Expected Stay In Riverfall: Undecided, but at the moment at least two seasons

Tilting her head a little, she was hesitant at putting down her race. It wasn’t generally something she let people in on lightly. But if she was going to live here she supposed that lying about it would come back tenfold if she were caught. Nibbling on her bottom lip, she handed the form back to Akalak.
Rinya
Socially Awkward Sea Hawk

Words: 658547
Joined roleplay: June 30th, 2013, 1:33 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 3
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Magpie on July 24th, 2013, 4:25 pm

Rinya:

The young woman who walked in looked tired, and after handing over the application, Malix watched her discreetly as she filled it out. She appeared to be human, but one never knew with Kelvics. His eyebrows lifted briefly as he took back the form and realized she was in fact one of the little shapeshifters.

"Longbow and hunting? You know, the Warren just sent in a request..." Leaning over, he flipped through a stack of files to pull out a creased piece of parchment. "Here we go. Request for guards for the Warren - the food repository for the city," he added by way of explanation. "You'll be keeping out mostly vermin and maybe a few larger creatures that have snuck into the city, but nothing too dangerous. It'd be about 5gm a day, so decent pay as well. What do you say?"
Office ~ Riverfall ~ Starting Guide ~ Q & A Forum
Moderated Threads: Full up right now, sorry!
Magpie
A-flutter

Words: 324445
Joined roleplay: January 28th, 2013, 4:49 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 1
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Niraeya on July 31st, 2013, 7:22 pm

51st of Summer, 513 AV

It was still well and early when Niraeya walked the path to the Labor Aid office. She was loathe to get a job. What significant skills she had were not exactly up to par and she had little need for a job times before. But little skill or no someone might need her for something, she hoped. Besides, she would need to pay up by the time she left the city.

Upon pushing open the door and approaching the desk, the Akalak seated behind it inquired after her reason for being there. "I am-" She stopped momentarily, having forgotten the word for looking in Common. Perhaps she was silent for too long for the man raised an eyebrow as if to say "go on". Flushing slightly, the brief words tumbled from her lips as she rephrased the sentence. "I want a job."

He pushed a form towards her. "Please fill out the following..." She grasped the form and went to sit in one of the many seats to fill it out. She had to stop a few times to think, pen tapping her chin, but she finished eventually.

Name: Niraeya
Race: Benshira Human Benshira
Relevant Skills: Organisation, Dance, Herbalism, Instrument-Flute and Lyre
Preferred Employment: Apprentice Healer/Herbalist, Dancer, Barmaid/Waitress, Performer, Book Keeper/Organiser?
Expected Stay In Riverfall: Undecided

She held the paper in front of her for inspection. The crossed out words were a bit unseemly but she had been unsure what to put. She slid off the seat and approached the desk again. She slid the paper back across the desk, sure that even just a small job would be enough to keep her comfortable.
Last edited by Niraeya on August 2nd, 2013, 4:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shiber Common Tawna Thoughts
Niraeya
Eyes like water in the desert

Words: 13131
Joined roleplay: July 24th, 2013, 8:22 pm
Race: Human, Benshira
Character sheet

Postby Kirsi Winterflame on August 2nd, 2013, 3:45 am

2nd of Summer, 513AV

The map was extremely well-detailed, and the building she searched for not too far from the gates. She stood for a moment outside, admiring the smoothly joined stonework before setting hand to door and pushing it open. It was a small mark of pride that she hesitated only a second before walking into the Labor Aid office and peeking around.

Noting with mild amusement and relief that this officiant was seated, at least, she pasted a smile on her face and walked up to the desk. "Hello. I'm looking for work, and a place to stay. Can you point me in a likely direction?" She was cheerful enough, but the Akalak sitting behind the desk barely glanced up as he slid a form across the counter.

"Fill this out," he reached back to another stack of papers and added a second form to the first."And this."

Kirsi nodded and murmured her thanks, spirits only slightly dampened by the fact that this Akalak was not nearly as excited as she was by this process. She quickly scribbled the relevant information onto the forms and handed them over for perusal.

Name: Kirsi Winterflame
Race: Human, Vantha
Type Of Building Looking For: Inn or boarding house; something with people around
Size: Single occupancy
Condition: Decent condition, not too run-down; cozy?
Expected Stay In Riverfall: Indefinite

Name: Kirsi Winterflame
Relevant Skills: Carving. Also, somewhat skilled in Drawing, Organization and Musical Instrument: Flute
Preferred Employment: Something creative - barring that, manual labor is fine, also.
Expected Stay In Riverfall: Indefinite
Kirsi Winterflame
Player

Words: 123239
Joined roleplay: July 27th, 2013, 3:50 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Jorin Ertihan on August 4th, 2013, 1:18 am

Season of Summer, Day 59, 513 AV

Jorin Ertihan was not exactly happy to be at the employment office. He had hoped, when he'd arrived in Riverfall with his troupe, that his troupe would provide for him. As it was, now that they had cut him loose, he was aware he needed an alternative means of supporting himself, if he was not to starve in the city. And so here he was.

The Akalak at the counter looked almost bored as Jorin walked up, and didn't seem to notice his weak smile as he announced himself.

"Greetings, my good man," he said with false cheer. "I seek employment here, in your fair city, and I dearly hope that I can acquire some lodging so as to be able to entertain your denizens without the indignity of living upon your streets."

Though Jorin had paid for rooms at Atri's Place, he did not know whether such accomodations would ... stick ... after his falling-out with his troupe, and thought it best to ask, just in case.

The Akalak simply nodded, seemingly ignoring the flowery nature of Jorin's speech and handed him two forms.

"Fill these out, then come back," he said, simply. Jorin smiled, and bowed dramatically, before going to one of the available seats and started writing.

Name: Jorin Ertihan
Race: Human
Type Of Building Looking For: Already paid at Atri's Place, but unsure if such accomodations will stick now that his troupe has cut him loose. If not, then somewhere where there are people he can meet.
Size: Single occupancy
Condition: Friendly, cozy, nothing too fancy
Expected Stay In Riverfall: A season, perhaps two, it depends on circumstance

Name: Jorin Ertihan
Relevant Skills: Acting (competent), Busking, Writing, Composing
Preferred Employment: Jorin wishes to use his acting skill to entertain the people of Riverfall, so probably a Busker, or some kind of Actor. If he is granted permission to busk, he'd like to work one of the busier taverns, so as to meet interesting new people.
Expected Stay In Riverfall: A season or two, depending on how well-received he is by Riverfall and whether there's anything to keep him here

Jorin stood and presented himself at the desk once he had finished.

"I've finished ..." Jorin was unable to complete his speech before the Akalak snatched the papers out of his hands, waving him aside.

"Next!"
x
Jorin's Thoughts | "Your speech" | "NPC Speech"

"Common" | "Pavi/Grassland Sign" | "Tukant"

"Written Text."

x
Jorin Ertihan
Art is the purest form of expression.

Words: 894547
Joined roleplay: July 27th, 2013, 3:41 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Overlored (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Rinya on August 5th, 2013, 10:29 pm

Rinya was surprised at how quickly he found a job match for her. He didn’t even need time to really consider it. She wasn’t bound to turn down any job that didn’t involve her carrying around some strange man’s child—even if that was considered normal in Riverfall. Tiling her head slightly, she smiled at the thought of getting to use her bow on a daily basis.

”This sounds like a good choice for me. I’ll take the job.” She had no idea where the Warren was, but she’d find it on the map easy enough.
OOCCompletely forgot I had Rinya put out a job app xD
Rinya
Socially Awkward Sea Hawk

Words: 658547
Joined roleplay: June 30th, 2013, 1:33 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 3
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Malla on August 9th, 2013, 2:20 am

Summer, Day 65, 513 AV
As Malla entered the employment office, she couldn't help but smile to herself. Who needs maps?, she thought, just proud to have found this place without one, even though she still carried the map she'd been given when she came into the city this morning. Maybe she should keep a map if she was going to keep leaving and coming back, as she was living on the outskirts in her tent, but...they kept wanting their maps returned; so a new one every day it was.

After a moment of double checking her top was hiding what she thought needed hiding, she walked over to the desk, smiling. "I'm wanting to apply for a job and citizenship," she said, looking to Akalak's eyes as she spoke.

"Please fill these out."

She nodded to the man's words and carefully took the papers up, her fingers pressed together so the webbing between them wouldn't be so obvious, though that made it a bit difficult to pick the papers up. She smiled a bit excusingly at the look the man gives her at her tries to grab the papers like she had claws instead of hands, then scurries off to the furthest seat to fill out her forms, while hiding behind her hair.

Name: Malla
Race: Human Konti
Competency In: Swordsmanship
Employment: Applying for
Expected Stay In Riverfall: Undecided, few seasons

Name: Malla
Race: Konti
Relevant Skills: Swordsmanship, horse riding
Preferred Employment: Barmaid, something with animals or even books
Expected Stay In Riverfall: Undecided, few seasons

The woman still felt that the name she wrote down looked strange written as much as it sounded strange when spoken. She also wasn't entirely sold on putting her race down either, but she needed to get a job and lying right away about something that may be later found out was probably a bad idea. At least it was easier to write the second time, even if not by much. Taking a breath, she stood and walked back to the desk to return the forms with a shy smile.
Malla's Konti gift lets her sense if someone has ever kiled anyone; the stronger the sensation she gets from someone, the more recent the kill.
Malla
Kills aren't as easy to hide as you think.

Words: 35232
Joined roleplay: July 30th, 2013, 2:27 am
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

PreviousNext