Location [Riverfall] The Citizenship, Housing, and Labor Aid Office

If one seeks citizenship, housing, and work in Riverfall, a guest or visitor must apply here first.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

[Riverfall] The Citizenship, Housing, and Labor Aid Office

Postby Silnas Windhoof on August 9th, 2013, 3:36 am

2 Summer, AV 513

This really wasn't what Silnas intended for herself, and it must have been obvious when she looked around the plain building. She could hear the sounds of fighting trailing down the staircase, and she ascended the bottom stair to crane her neck upwards to catch a glimpse, but was rewarded with nothing.

Well, she wasn't here to fight anyways. With long steps Silnas strode to the counter, and cleared her throat so the Akalaks would look up.

"Job?"

The man nodded, and passed her a sheet of paper. Silnas frowned at it, trying to make the symbols mean something, even placing a few scratches on the paper... but she wasn't fooling anyone. She cleared her throat, and swallowed her pride as the Akalaks looked up.

"Pavi is my native tongue. I do not, uhm... make knotwork on paper."

The Akalaks nodded, and picked up the quill, indicating for Silnas to speak.

Name: Silnas Windhoof
Race: Human, Drykas
Relevant Skills: Hunting, Riding, knows the geography of the Sea of Grass, Two-Headed Spear efficiency.
Preferred Employment: Helping with the raiding parties, some sort of hunting. Eventually would like to employ herself as a bodyguard.
Expected Stay In Riverfall: A season, perhaps, or a season and a half.

Silnas Windhoof
Player

Words: 13822
Joined roleplay: August 6th, 2013, 11:09 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet

Postby Magpie on August 18th, 2013, 11:40 pm

Niraeya:

When Malix received back the form, he eyed the Race line with some interest. As always, he was behind on his quota for Nakivaks, and he was always on the lookout for eligible races.

"Hmm, quite a few options for employment here... Well, the Sapphire Star is always looking for musicians, and I'm sure they'll be overjoyed you're a woman." There was a touch of bitterness in his voice, but he smiled through it at the darkhaired woman.

"It'd be 4gm a night. If you'd like something a little higher paying, however, might I suggest becoming a Nakivak? All you have to do is bear an Akalak child, and you’ll be paid quite handsomely. The Council will pay for your care and all the medical expenses the pregnancy entails. How does that sound? I know Lika at the Sapphire Star is a Nakivak herself, so I'm sure she can speak highly of the program.” He actually had no idea if Lika thought highly of her Nakivak status, but assumed she was fine with it, given how many times she'd willingly been through it. "If you'd like the musician job, go to the Sapphire Star and talk to Carla. She'll set you up with all the details."

Kirsi:

Malix eyed the woman as she brought back the form. She was beautiful, no doubt, with stunning eyes. When the pair of forms were slid back across the desk, he picked up the housing one first. "Well, miss, we have several housing options in the city, and almost all have open rooms at the moment. The Pearl House is a nice little place run by Kontis, and Atri's Place always has people coming and going. Just head to either of them and inquire about a room, and they'd be happy to set you up."

Shifting his attention to the employment sheet, he was disappointed to see she was half-Vantha. He didn't know how well Vanthas held up to Akalak pregnancy, so he was hesitant to suggest Nakivak candidacy... Oh well, let the Oathmaster figure it out, if she decided to pursue it, that is. "Ah, you're a carver! Garob just sent me... Here we go." He pulled a piece of paper out from a pile next to him. "The Terra Cottage actually specializes in pottery, but I'm sure he needs any manner of artistic hand available. Come to think of it, he actually has a room available above the shop! Go talk to him, and I'm sure he'll be happy to have you on board. Carvers make about 5gm a day."

Laying down the form, Malix leaned forward with his hands folded under his chin. If you'd like to make a good bit of extra money, however, I'd maybe consider becoming a Nakivak? Just bear a child for the city of Riverfall and you'll be paid quite handsomely. The Council will pay for your care and all the medical expenses the pregnancy entails. What do you say?"

Jorin:

It was one of those days Malix was dying to go home. After a few pretty young things had come in the day before, the present had been a veriable sausage fest. In fact, he hardly noticed when a human man walked in Apparently looking for housing and employment.

After receiving back the forms, Malix didn't even need to look at his files to know who had openings for housing. "There's housing openings all over the city, but in particular I know The Pearl House has a few rooms open, and Atri's Place always does. Check them out, decide what you like, and they'll set you up with a room."

Transitioning to the employment form, Malix hummed with interest. "A musician, hm? Well, the White Crane is always looking for new talent, but there's no guarantee if any of the other restaurants will want a regular act. You can set up a spot to busk in the city, so long as you're not obstructing the flow of traffic. You can expect about 4gm a day with that line of work. If you'd like something a bit more secure though, the Riverfall Amphitheatre is big on new talent. Actors make about the same ask buskers, 4gm a day. If you decide to go with that, go out to the Amphitheatre just outside of the city. You'll probably have an audition, and you can go from there."

Malla:

Malix did a discreet double take when the Konti walked in. At least he assumed she was a Konti; she seemed enormously shy and practically trying to hide from him. Far too few Kontis stopped by, and he was very glad when they did. She was a bit awkward in picking the papers up, but he dismissed it. Maybe she was just nervous.

When she returned, he smiled at the citizenship application. "Staying in the city? Wonderful! For the sword, you'll test over at the Kendoka Sasaran. After passing the competency test, you can head on over to Riverfall Ink for your citizenship mark. It's a tiny thing; you won't feel a thing," He leaned forward comfortingly, displaying his own citizenship tattoo under his right wrist.

"On the issue of your employment, there's actually a couple places you could go. There's the Riverfall Stables, which is pretty basic horse care and housing. Then there's the Sanctuary, which does, well, everything. Kavala up there runs a tight ship, but I'm sure she'd appreciate another hand on deck. Horse Grooms only make 1gm a day, but there's plenty of room for advancement. If you'd like to make a little more though..."

Leaning forward with a concerned look, Malix folded his hands neatly and looked up at her. "There is always the option of Nakivak. Bear a child for the city of Riverfall, and you'l be paid most handsomely. Kavala was a Nakivak - may still be, for all I know - so I'm sure she'd speak highly of the program. All your medical expenses are taken care of, and Kontis do extremely well with Akalak pregnancies. What do you say?"

Silnas:

Biting a lip, Malix transcribed the form as was dictated. He didn't speak Pavi, though at times like this, when the Drykas came in off the plain, he was he did. Form completed in his own neat script, he looked it over once more. "Hunting...bodyguard...hm." She was a pretty woman, and as usual, the Nakivak option would be available to her. Still, most people liked to hear more than one option. "You can try to freelance bodyguard, but Riverfall's pretty safe so there's not much call for it. The Kuvay'nas handle all the raiding, so you may want to volunteer with them if you're looking for some Zith blood." He didn't want to mention that her female-ness may prove a slight roadblock in the men from wanting her to join, but she looked like a tough girl. She may change their minds.

"As for steady employment however, might I recommend the Stained Pelt, just outside of town? If you're accurate with that spear, they'll want someone to hunt pelts for them. It's about 5gm a day."

He was just about to offer Nakivak status to the young woman when he swallowed his words. A woman interested in hunting and going on raids would likely not be interested in tying herself down with a pregnancy.
Office ~ Riverfall ~ Starting Guide ~ Q & A Forum
Moderated Threads: Full up right now, sorry!
Magpie
A-flutter

Words: 324445
Joined roleplay: January 28th, 2013, 4:49 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 1
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Malla on August 19th, 2013, 10:34 pm

Malla looked to the mark on the man's wrist then to him, "Tiny marks like that do not scare me," she replied matter of factly, before grimacing at the idea of being a Nakivak. Many thoughts, though, started to swirl through her head, some for, most against. In theory it could help with the whole amends process...but at the same time...a child... She bit her lip, "Stables are good...I can think on that other option and come back if I decide to?" She would wait long enough for an answer from the Akalak before quickly leaving to work on her thinking as well as citizenship and hopeful job.
Malla's Konti gift lets her sense if someone has ever kiled anyone; the stronger the sensation she gets from someone, the more recent the kill.
Malla
Kills aren't as easy to hide as you think.

Words: 35232
Joined roleplay: July 30th, 2013, 2:27 am
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Nyael Atuin on August 28th, 2013, 9:56 pm

Day 10 of Summer, 513

The Citizenship and Labor Aid Office had been difficult to find. Nyael had walked right passed the office several times while trying to find it; she didn't realize it was such a small building and had overlooked it trying to find a larger, more governmental looking building. She wondered if the secretary had noticed. The interior was ascetic as the exterior, with no flourishes save a practical bulletin board to the left.

"Hello," Nyael spoke slowly, taking extra care that her accent would make her intelligible. She cleared her throat; her mouth was feeling dry again. "Ahem, I am…here to…find a job, please."

She tried to smile, but she doubted that the Akalak would find her many rows of teeth flattering.

The Akalak behind the desk returned her smile with one of his own. He pushed a small card in front of her. "Please fill out the following."

"Thank you," she said as she took the card.

Nyael moved aside for the next body in queue and filled out the card. She paused when she reached preferred employment. She hadn't really put much thought into she wanted in terms of employment. Originally, she wanted to travel and add new plants to her garden. But now she's low on funds, and more importantly, she was running out of food. After double-checking her card, she handed it back to the Akalak. She looked at the Akalak hopefully and considered flashing another toothy smile.

Name: Nyael Atuin
Race: Charbosi
Relevant Skills: Gardening, Floristry, Coral Manipulation
Preferred Employment: Florist, Gardener, Groundskeeper, Clerk
Expected Stay In Riverfall:Unsure, at least a year
Nyael Atuin
Player

Words: 17302
Joined roleplay: August 6th, 2013, 4:44 am
Race: Charoda
Character sheet

Postby Magpie on August 29th, 2013, 11:38 am

Nyael

It had been an enormously busy day, and Malix had actually managed to sign up a pair of Nakivaks so he was in a pretty good mood. Always on the lookout for more though, he made sure to keep the disappointment out of his face when the next applicant was Charoda - unsuitable for Nakivak status.

No sense in crying over it though; women were women and more were always a welcome sight in the city, no matter the race. Taking back the application form, he hummed thoughtfully as he went over the skills. "You know, we just don't get enough gardeners in the city..." He told her absently, leaning over to shuffle through the papers to his right. "Aha!" He exclaimed, and he pulled out a particular leaflet with a fish logo drawn at the top at the top. "The Menagerie Aquarium needs a new aquaculturist. I'm sure they'd love to have you. The job pays 4gm a day, and I head Seafoam, the Charoda who runs the place, is lovely to work for. What do you say?"
Magpie
A-flutter

Office
Scrapbook
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Hornet on August 29th, 2013, 7:59 pm

90th of Summer, 513 AV, Late Morning
Riverfall, The Citizenship, Housing, and Labor Aid Office

"Well, this is it. The Labor Aid Office."

The Pycon took in the building curiously. He had passed it at times before, but had never paid much attention to the unassuming structure. There was something to say for it's simplicity though. A well maintained lawn, inviting windows, the white facade immaculate, the whole building just invited you to step inside. There was a small problem though. It's heavy wooden door was closed. Of course, all you had to do to open it was turn the knob... which was located more then three feet above the ground. With his four inch, he simply wasn't going to get there, not even when he stretched his clay out to it's breaking point. So he knocked, and the reply came immediately: "the door's open, just come in!"

It took a while to convince the Akalak manning the Office's desk that he couldn't open the door himself, but when that was settled, it wasn't long before he could start filling in his job form. Since he was writing for a blue giant of a man and level of detail was not a concern, he just used the quill and ink that were provided. There was no need to whip out his own tools and spent chimes just to get the letters at an appropriate size. Crawling all over the page, using two hands just to move the quill was not exactly comfortable, but at least it was fast.

The questions he had to answer weren't easy, though. The very first one had the little clay man thinking. The name he had chosen long ago had been chosen somewhat on a whim, and he still didn't know if he'd made the right decision. It didn't describe him at all, and now he was supposed to put it down on paper where it would never change again? Then again, he didn't really have any good alternatives. It had taken him days to settle on Hornet, and he hadn't found a better option since. He couldn't really ask the Akalak for a nickname either, the occasion was far too official for that. He didn't really have much choice other then to stick with the choice he'd made long ago, and he did so with a sigh.

The next questions were significantly easier, though he spent quite some time deciding whether or not he should list the exact number of days when giving his age. Relevant skills had him stuck for a while. There was a lot he could do, but nothing he was really good at. He didn't want to undersell himself, but overplaying his abilities and getting kicked out on the first day for not being good enough had to be avoided at all cost. Only when he realized that he could emphasize learning in the preferred employment section did he find the solution to the conundrum.

The last question was by far the most difficult of them all. How could he know what the future would bring? He would likely stay for as long as there were new things to experience here, but how could he estimate now when he would get bored? The date he eventually chose to mention would allow him to see all festivals the city had to offer at least once, but even then it was a very wild guess.

Name: Hornet.
Race: Pycon.
Relevant Skills: Writing, Calligraphy and, if necessary, Copying.
Preferred Employment: Variety in the work would be greatly appreciated; learning new things would be as well. I would like to start at season change if possible.
Expected Stay In Riverfall: Probably till the end of winter, possibly longer.
Hornet
How would you like to call me?

Words: 30542
Joined roleplay: August 16th, 2013, 10:56 am
Race: Pycon
Character sheet
Scrapbook

Postby Magpie on September 1st, 2013, 5:59 pm

Hornet:

Malix tried not to stare at the tiny...turtle creature struggling with the application. He'd seen Pycons on occasion during his tenure at the Labor Aide, but each visit was always interesting. He wanted to offer to help the little guy, but Malix didn't want to insult him.

When the little clay man finished the application, Malix took it gently, wanting to neither snatch it away or accidentally send him flying. The script was lovely, having come from such small hands, and Malix raised an eyebrow as he looked it over. A few jobs came to mind, but on the heels of each came a caveat. The Library could use a new copyist, but how would he reach the books? The Valkalah Academy could use a man to help pen new exam sheets, but could little hands keep up with the amount of work they needed?

With a sigh that trailed off into a curious hum, Malix pulled a piece of paper from a stack on his left. "I think we may have a choice of two jobs for you." He then bent over to pull another sheet from a bottom drawer. Slipping the first in front of his diminutive applicant, he pointed at the rose and compass seal at the top. "This is for the Antique's Society, who is looking for a scribe. There's a drawback though; membership into the Society costs 50gm a year. If you're looking to learn new things though, there's no better place. You might even be able to move up to cartographer if you show any aptitude with maps. The scribe position pays 3gm a day, but a cartographer pays 6.

Alternatively," Malix slipped a slightly dusty parchment in front of him. This one was of older, but finer paper, and written in beautifully ornate script. "This is for the Message Square. It's run by a Priestess of Qalaya right now, but I know she's looking for someone to man the desk while she goes about business outside the square. As a scribe here, the pay is the same, 3gm a day, and you'll be transcribing messages for customers who come in for the service. She may also ask you to transcribe some holy books, but that'd be for her to decide. It's much...tamer work, but it comes without the membership fee. What do you say?"
Magpie
A-flutter

Office
Scrapbook
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Krima on September 2nd, 2013, 2:02 am

First Day of Fall, 513 A.V.

Krima walked into the Citizenship, Housing and Labor Aid office with as much confidence as she could muster. She was apply for a job, and that meant she had to at least look like she wasn't intimidated by the idea that the man at the desk could decide her position in Riverfall.

Krima looked around the office. It was a simplistic design, which she didn't like too much. She preferred details layered with more details to make something beautiful. No matter, it was unlikely she would be there long.

Ever since she had agreed to help Jorin with two dresses when she first met him, she loved to work with colors. The rest of riverfall fashion consisted of simplicity and earthy colors. At the Amphitheater however, there were costumes that used all sorts of colors and fabrics. Everything from a rich color red, to a deep blue. Besides, after seeing the messy backstage area, she may never be able to see a play again without wanting to tidy it up.

She approached the front desk and flashed a smile."Hello, I would like a job application please." she said to the Akalak. He gave a quiet answer asking her to fill out the application he handed to her. She walked over to the closest available seat and started to fill each section out. Once she was done, she walked back over and and gave it to the man at the desk, giving another smile.

Name: Krima
Relevant Skills: Competent Sewing, Novice Time Managing.
Preferred Employment: Costume Designer at the Amphitheater. Though can work anywhere requiring a seamstress.
Expected Stay In Riverfall: At the very least, two seasons.

Last edited by Krima on September 2nd, 2013, 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

"Krima's Speech!"
My thoughts
Your speech
NPC speech
Kontinese

Krima
Love Knows No Bounds

Words: 23355
Joined roleplay: August 18th, 2013, 1:17 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Tobias on September 2nd, 2013, 2:15 am

On the 4th of Fall, 513 Years After the Valterrian.

Tobias blew into the Labor Aid with Syna’s first light, the first customer of the day.

He had a system when he got to a city; find a place to live, and then a job. Both came pretty easy for a bard, and Riverfall had proved no different. He had found Northwind Suites on the first day and when he heard the music emanating from the common room he knew he had found his place. Here he could listen to far better musicians than himself for free, and Keket wasn’t too bad of a landlord either.

Now came the job portion of his system. Each city went about it in different ways; they had similar aspects, sure, but each city was unique. For instance, as he entered the Riverfall Labor Aid Office, he hardly expected the green-skinned man behind the desk to ask, “Job, citizenship, or both?”

Tobias put on his most winning smile. “Job, for now,” he said lightheartedly, “We’ll have to see about the other one later, eh?”

The Akalak slid him a form and murmured, “Fill out the following…”

Tobias blinked in mild surprise, and filled out the form without any further comment.

“I can perform at taverns, bars, the like,” Tobias mentioned as he slid the scrap of paper back. “The more the merrier. I prefer a change of scenery now and then anyways.”

Name: Tobias
Race: Human
Relevant Skills: Singing, playing lute, storytelling.
Preferred Employment: Bard
Expected Stay In Riverfall: End of season.
Last edited by Tobias on September 5th, 2013, 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tobias
Love itself shall slumber on

Words: 31340
Joined roleplay: August 27th, 2013, 6:17 am
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Magpie on September 5th, 2013, 9:45 pm

Krima:

Malix eyed the Konti as she filled out her employment form. He loved to see Kontis come in, not just because they were nice to look at, but he had the chance to make a legitimate offer for Nakivak status. He smiled broadly when she returned and in looking at her form, the surprise drove thoughts of Nakivaks from his mind.

"The Amphitheatre? Just recently we got an actor in town who works there; doing well, from what I hear. Not often we get someone who already knows where they want to work, so you've gone and done my job for me." He winked up at her, still smiling. "You can head on over to the Amphitheatre and talk to them about getting started. Seamstresses make about 4gm a day."

Putting her application aside to be filed later, he folded his hands under his chin as he looked up at her. "I do want to make you another offer though, one you can actually do in conjunction with working at the Amphitheatre. Have you considered becoming an Nakivak? All you have to do is bear a child for the city of Riverfall - to help with the Akalak population, you know - and you'll be paid quite handsomely. All the medical expenses are covered, and Kontis do very well with Akalak pregnancies. What do you say?"

Tobias:

Malix hated when human men came in. Boring creatures, he'd decided. Human women at least were nice to look at. They still needed jobs though, so Malix was bound to assist.

He waited politely for the young man to return with his form, making mental bets against Malin as to what the skillset would be. Certainly no warrior... Teaching? Map making? Chef?

In the back of Malix's mind, Malin did a victory dance when it came back with Musician. Smiling through the irritation that he now owed his other half an additional 24 bells at the helm, Malix pulled out a few sheets of paper from a metal rack at his right. "Let's see... Just about every place in town would be happy to have some entertainment, but we should find you a 'home base', if you will...Ah!" He pulled out a sheet from the middle of the pile. "The White Crane's been low on talent lately, so they're looking for a regular to come in. Outside of that, you can probably offer up to any place in town, so long as you play the type of music they're into. Musicians make about 4gm a day. What do you say?"
Magpie
A-flutter

Office
Scrapbook
Featured Contributor (1)

PreviousNext