Flashback An Old Vow and a New Face (Ayatah)

Razkar seeks to fulfill a promise, and finds some help from outside his clan

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This is Falyndar at its finest. Danger lurks everywhere - in the ground, in the trees, in the bush. Only the strongest survive...

Moderator: Gossamer

An Old Vow and a New Face (Ayatah)

Postby Ayatah on January 9th, 2013, 1:16 pm

Image "Notch an arrow. We fire as one, when I say. Of one of us misses, the other one won't."

Indeed, she looked at him with confusion. When that smile appeared on his face, and he looked sideways to her, Ayatah didn’t know whether to punch him or laugh.

"First shot? That was just... motivation."

There was a smile on her lips now, although she wished that she could have portrayed some annoyance. But without the ‘motivation’ for the last shot, Ayatah would not have sought revenge for him beating her in the race. She wouldn’t have touched him so sensually, and then he wouldn’t have got her own back on her…

And we might have just sat in this tree silently.

It was odd, how everything had seemed to change between them just because of a promise of first shot. But she was thankful, and as she withdrew an arrow, notched it and drew it to her eye level, she too was smiling. Her fingers stoked the feathering on the arrow - a small habit of hers that wished for luck and good aim.

”On your word.”

Her keenness to complete their task was shared between the want to aid him in fulfilling his promise, but there was also a more selfish reason. There is aways afterward, she repeated in her mind, the smile broadening.

|| Ayatah's speech || Ayatah's thoughts || Others' speech ||
Ayatah
The Scholarly Savage

Words: 667148
Joined roleplay: December 27th, 2012, 11:30 am
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Razkar on January 9th, 2013, 4:12 pm

Breath steady. Don't rush. See your arrow... in your target...

Razkar hears his parents' words in his head as he takes deep breaths, then shallow breaths, then is barely breathing at all. He realizes too late that their perch in the air may be useful, but it denies them the ability to close quickly with their prey once it's down. So they'll have to make these shots count.

He blinks, rest of his body immobile, judging the distance.

Twenty-five yards. Maybe thirty. Fine...

The smile is gone now. This is serious business, the taking of another's life. In battle the rush and roar may take you and that fierce joy calls out from your blood. But this was a contest and a necessity, pure and simple. Razkar would take satisfaction from this, truly... but no joy.

"Left front thigh," he whispered to Ayatah as he aimed for the deer's back rear thigh. There was no reply, just a tiny sound as she shifted her aim. He could rely on her. He knew it.

"... now."

His fingers twitched slightly, freeing the arrow from its notch and sending it hurtling through the humid air towards the deer. That minor sound had the curious creature's head jerking up, but by the time it was in the air, it was far too late.
My Words | Your Words | Myrian | Fratavan | My Thoughts
Razkar has been cursed by Yahal, and as such finds little acceptance from others; they will instinctively view him as being deceptive and traitorous. However, when close to one blessed by Yahal, the effect is negated. The curse is etched onto his left pectoral, and viewing the mark causes others to feel dirty and unclean.
Razkar
War Is The Answer

Words: 2242619
Joined roleplay: October 8th, 2012, 12:04 am
Race: Myrian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 9
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (2)
Trailblazer (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Ayatah on January 9th, 2013, 6:06 pm

ImageThe training Ayatah received throughout her training as a child and young woman flooded into her mind. It was her mother’s voice mainly, who also selected the longbow as her favoured weapon.

There was a tension in her neck, so Ayatah bent her head either side, her bones crackled appreciatively. She also rolled her shoulders in the joints, before finally repositioning herself.

Her eyes narrowed, watching the young deer nibbling at the shrubbery. Every now and again, the creature would look upwards; it’s large eyes staring and ears twitching. It was wary - but did not know what to be wary of in particular.

She adjusted the position of her bow at his command, brow furrowed as she waited for the deer to angle itself in such a way that he would hit it’s back leg, and she it’s front.

"... now."

She released her arrow as he did his, with a gentle thwang of her bowstrings pulling back into place. The two arrows flew through the air, true to their targets. Her own buried deep into the deer’s front leg, about three inches below the shoulder.

The deer bleated pathetically as it fell flat, two arrows standing erect out of its side. It attempted to stand one or two times, both endeavors failing miserably. Eventually, it lay still, panting heavily and calling out for aid. It was far from dead, but frozen in fear and pain.

The perfect combination.

The calls rang out loudly, high pitched like a child’s scream. It would attract plenty of tigers, and quickly.

”We won’t have to wait too long,” she muttered, sliding her bow onto her back. Ayatah gave him a small sideways glance, wearing a small smirk, ”see? You needed my shot anyway.”

Ayatah
The Scholarly Savage

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Razkar on January 9th, 2013, 6:27 pm

”See? You needed my shot anyway."

Razkar's lips creased into a smirk of his own, and he leaned over sideways so his lips was tantalizingly close to her ear again. He opened his mouth to speak but then inhaled her hair, that... scent. Something that was beyond a mere perfume, it seemed to emanate from her in waves.

He blinked, remembered himself, and noticed that she was holding her breath.

"I never said I wouldn't."

The bleating and awful, inhuman screaming from below them broke whatever romantic thoughts they were having. Razkar's head snapped around to see it lying there, bleeding, crippled, possibly dying. But not for a while, unless it moved around too much and opened its wounds even more.

He tried to feel some pity for the animal. He succeeded. But it was not much. He had been killing and hunting since he was six years old, and it was as natural to him as breathing.

He notched a fresh arrow, holding his bow low, then placed three other arrows next to him. Goddess knew he would probably need them. Then he saw Ayatah putting her bow away and his hand reached out-

-touched her arm, and he shook his head.

"No. You're going to help when it comes. It won't go down easy, and we'll need two firing, not just one. Have your arrows ready. When the time comes, don't stop until it isn't moving. Then we'll finish it off."

They settled to waiting. It would be perhaps over a bell before a tiger happened upon them. Their territories could cover dozens of miles, and they patrolled them constantly. The "owner" of the one they were in could be close or far, and might not hear or smell the fresh, bleeding bait for quite a while.

So Razkar got quiet and got watchful. The boring part of the hunt...

... but it always helped to have good company.
Razkar has been cursed by Yahal, and as such finds little acceptance from others; they will instinctively view him as being deceptive and traitorous. However, when close to one blessed by Yahal, the effect is negated. The curse is etched onto his left pectoral, and viewing the mark causes others to feel dirty and unclean.
Razkar
War Is The Answer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Ayatah on January 9th, 2013, 7:12 pm

ImageHe suddenly came very close, his breath on her ear again. Her body responded by her hands reaching out to him, this time on his forearms, half-tugging him closer to her. She heard him inhale deeply, and gave a small smile. She had to admit, her Eypharian blood certainly had its benefits. She turned her head towards his, their mouths so tentatively close to each other’s.

"I never said I wouldn't."

She felt his breath on her face, could feel the way the words were formed by lips. The temptation to close the gap between them was huge, pulling at her.

Then that damn deer cried out, and the moment was gone. She looked at the thing witheringly, almost hating it for disrupting their moment - whatever their moment was about. It twitched every now and then.

When he touched her arm, she looked up questioningly. After he had spoken, she nodded slowly. There was a small knob of tree branch to the left of her, and she hung her bow off it. She placed some arrows aside, mimicking his movements. She had never come across a tiger in such a small hunting party before, but she trusted his advice and guidance.

”Looks like we have some time to kill,” she said quietly, flashing him a devilish look and a wicked smile.

The deer bleated in agreement, and it kicked out its back legs in a desperate attempt to… stay alive? Ayatah couldn’t help but since at the sound. It’s death would be necessary in the long run, but it certainly created a terrible noise. It was the sound of death, a creature knowing that it would not see tomorrow - or even tonight. It was a hard pill to swallow, but the Myrian people had been killing for hundreds of years. It was part and parcel of their success over the forest.

But it still made Ayatah’s toes curl when the deer called out.

Ayatah
The Scholarly Savage

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Razkar on January 9th, 2013, 7:26 pm

”Looks like we have some time to kill.”

With a supreme effort, Razkar managed to just nod and keep his eyes on the foliage around the deer. Oh, he was not going to fall for that. That was what he needed, of course: preparing a perfect trap for a truly deadly predator, only to miss his chance because-

-her back arching under him, on top of him, sweat on skin on skin and sliding, moans and pants, thrusting, grinding-

Razkar smacked the side of his head.

Ayatah looked at him like he'd just grown an extra limb and his mouth opened and closed a few times. Finally he muttered, "There was a... mosquito."

A slow, disbelieving nod from Ayatah, and he frowned.

"It was a big one!"

They settled in silence, and he was grateful that they both knew that rule at least. Noise was your main enemy and friend in the jungle. Visibility was often low, terrain was a nightmare, smells could overwhelm you all the time. But sounds? They were ever-present. You just had to shut up and listen...

Chimes past. They grew to nearly a bell. Razkar shuffled his body now and then, not wanting stiffness or ramp to take hold. The Question had been rattling around his mind for a while, though. Why he'd been unable to speak it so far he had no idea-

Because it would scare away the prey, idiot! And no, I'm not talking about the female!

-but he knew he did not want to leave it unsaid.

"So..." he said carefully, lowly, eyes still scanning around the deer. Its bleating was softer now, its movements weaker. That was starting to worry Razkar: if it died before their prey arrived, there could be a problem, "When will you be going back to your clan?"
Razkar
War Is The Answer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Ayatah on January 9th, 2013, 7:57 pm

ImageA small chuckle escaped Ayatah’s lips. Playing hard to get? She pondered. But no - they could not afford to be distracted with each other, in case their real prey came and left before they even noticed.

Still, there is always afterwards.

His own hand collided with his skull, as if he had been possessed momentarily

- or was pushing thoughts out of his head.

"There was a... mosquito."

”Right…” She gave a tiny nod, and a suspicious look. She did not belief the excuse at all, and he seemed to pick up on this.

"It was a big one!"

At that, she nodded and frowned, feigning belief, ”Of course. I saw it - nearly carried you away, didn’t it?” She grinned, and shook her head.

As silence coated over them, Ayatah was thinking. Would it be dark by the time they would returned to his clan village? She battled with a yawn and lost. She stretched her back and legs. She toyed with an arrow, rolling the thin shaft around in her fingertips.

The sounds of the jungle buzzed around, birds, insects. It hummed with life, even when the two Myrians were sitting in silence. The sun was still up, but had long since passed it’s height in the sky. The tiger would have to come soon, or else their visibility would drop dramatically, as well as their chances of killing it.

“So…”

His voice caught her by surprise, and she turned to him. The slight pause after he had spoken made Ayatah tilt her head; an all-to familiar habit of hers.

"When will you be going back to your clan?"

The question certainly made her think. She would have to return, eventually - that was fact. Although her family would not be anxious yet, if she left it too long before returning, even her Great-Grandmother might be concerned.

But…

She had certainly found a reason to delay her return by a day. When I leave to return home, will that be the end of… this? The thought would not leave her mind.

She shrugged her shoulders, trying to play off being casual, ”I’m… not sure. If your clan will allow me to stay tonight, I won’t not until tomorrow. Maybe.” She shrugged her shoulders again, almost hoping that he might suggest longer - or give her a reason to suggest the idea.

Ayatah
The Scholarly Savage

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Razkar on January 9th, 2013, 8:44 pm

”I’m… not sure. If your clan will allow me to stay tonight, I won’t not until tomorrow. Maybe.”

Razkar nodded and tried to keep the excitement off his face. Another night? Wonderful! That was great, grand...

Why, exactly? That voice piped up again, unwanted reality intruding on the possibilities hr liked to paint for himself. What are you going to do? Propose marriage? At this time? I think not, boy. Stop thinking with the little head.

He didn't shake his head, but gritted his teeth. To the pit with reality. He wanted to at least know where this fancy would go. Razkar was still a young male, but he had seen many in his clan crushed and deflated by regret. Chances not taken, words not spoken, moments that were ignored or missed or pushed aside that had grown to years spent wishing. He would not fall into that trap.

Here, now, he was alive and the chance we here.

"I think my clan would bid you stay a few more days, at least." He said carefully, but the hope in his voice was unmistakable. "After helping one of their suns take down such a beast. Heh... I would be honored to-"

There was a rustling like bushes and shrubs pushed aside by something... large. His eyes flashed to where it had come from, saw shadows distorted for long moments. That was not a deer. There was no fear in its movements; only stealth and certainty.

What moved there was predator, not prey.

Slowly, acting as one, the two Myrians took up their bows and notched arrows. They half-raised them... and watched...

"Here he comes..."

And come he did. Maybe thirty feet from the mewling, panting, half-dead deer. At first it was just a hint of movement, a suggestion of presence... but then an orange, black and white head twice the size of a Myrian's was visible under a massive felled tree. The body behind it was even larger, lithe and taut and without a trace of fat...

It had seen the deer, and stalked ever closer. Eyes that burst with pure killing intent were fixed on its coming meal. Even as he sighted down his arrow, Razkar felt awe rise inside him.

I could try for a hundred lifetimes, he thought to himself, and never match the perfection of this killer...

"Wait for it to make the kill," he said, voice the merest whisper, "Then aim for the head and neck. Remember what I told you."

They watched and waited and readied their bows as the tiger edged closer.
Razkar
War Is The Answer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Ayatah on January 9th, 2013, 9:41 pm

Image"I think my clan would bid you stay a few more days, at least."

Control yourself Ayatah’s subconscious demanded. She managed to swallow down a grin, and gave a polite nod. She would remain calm, cool, collected. She would not make it blatantly obvious that the offer had made her overjoyed, excited.

”I’m glad.” It was a simple acceptance of the offer, but the sincerity of her voice implied that there was much, much more to it. It betrayed her relief and optimism. But there had been hope in his voice too - she had picked up on it almost instantly.

He is pleased as much as I am. It made her smile.

His other sentence had been cut short, and Ayatah’s eyes dashed to where his own were looking.

Something was moving, slowly, in the overgrowth. Silent, but absolutely deadly.

"Here he comes..."

She did not make a reply - she didn’t need to. The tiger revealed himself, stalking his nearly dead prey. The big cat walked with ease and a confidence that came from being the deadliest creature in the jungle, the king. With each step, muscles rippled throughout his legs.

He will not go down easily

Tigers were respected and feared by all people - and it was impossible to question why with one so large and so close. Ayatah’s heart was in her throat, thudding noisily with the anticipation. He was a formidable creature, Ayatah guessed him to be around ten or twelve years old; the peak of age.

The tiger approached the barely-alive deer, sniffing at it with interest. Instead of killing it instantly, he began to toy with it. Nature was a beauty, but it was also mercilessly cruel. The tiger smacked the deer’s dead with a paw nearly as big as Ayatah’s head. The deer wept softly, twitching out helplessly.

"Wait for it to make the kill. Then aim for the head and neck. Remember what I told you." Ayatah watched as the tiger took the deer’s neck into his mouth, and with a sickening crunch, broke it in half - if not more. The deer’s wailings had finally ceased, and there were a few silent chimes whilst the tiger began clawing at the flesh.

Then Ayatah released an arrow. It thudded into the tiger’s head, behind and a little lower than his ear. The creature growled out, startled by the sudden attack.

She had already readied another arrow and was aiming.

Ayatah
The Scholarly Savage

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Razkar on January 9th, 2013, 10:35 pm

Razkar loosed a moment after Ayatah, arrow thudding into the tiger's back, between its shoulder blades. He was quietly stunned at her accuracy, scoring a hit that narrowly missed the beast's brain-

Then the tiger reared around, fur bristling, raw fury on its snarling face, and Razkar remembered what it was. This was a tiger, a bloody king of this jungle. It was not a Myrian, who would be dead by now. All these arrows would do, at this moment, would enrage it.

So keep firing!

Their hands moved in a blur, both of them, reaching for arrows, notching them, pulling back strings-

The roar shattered whatever peace was in the jungle. A cloud of birds and insects sprang from the trees in pure terror. Things unseen and horrified crashed and ran through the foliage for a mile around. They knew this sound.

-the two Myrians fired again, just as the tiger leaped.

Twenty feet high and thirty feet away is a large distance to a human, and almost the same to a Myrian. Not so to a tiger. Even with arrows sticking out of its bloody fur, it jumped from the near-decapitated deer at the impudent monkey-creatures that attacked it-

-one arrow pierced it deep in the chest, skewering through a lung. Razkar did not know if it was his or hers, and before he could wonder-

-the tiger landed on the branch below them, already swiping upwards with a bloody paw, lips curled back to reveal a mouth as wide as Ayatah's shoulders.

"JUMP!"

Razkar turned and knocked Ayatah away from the claws, both of them falling from the wide tree limb and heading downwards. Their bows went tumbling down to the muddy ground. There were other branches beneath them and Razkar reached out blindly, desperately hoping for a handhold-

His fall was stopped as his fingers found purchase on a branch, arm screamng in protest as it went from falling to stationery in a moment. Ayatah yelped as she landed on top of the branch, stomach first.

The tiger was already moving again, long claws holding it almost vertical on the tree trunk, tracking its prey was savage intent. The wounds already dealt it were mortal, but right now sheer fury and adrenaline would mean the beast would all but ignore them. So they needed to-

"MOVE!"

Razkar screamed his order as his free hand groped for his hand ax, trusting and hoping to the Goddess that Ayatah would survive this.
Razkar
War Is The Answer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

PreviousNext