Flashback An Old Vow and a New Face (Ayatah)

Razkar seeks to fulfill a promise, and finds some help from outside his clan

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This is Falyndar at its finest. Danger lurks everywhere - in the ground, in the trees, in the bush. Only the strongest survive...

Moderator: Gossamer

An Old Vow and a New Face (Ayatah)

Postby Razkar on December 30th, 2012, 10:03 pm

22nd Day of Fall, 509AV

The deer came apart under his hands like it was willing him to devour it. The thick pelt was carved and pulled away from livid pink muscle and tendons. Hooves and antlers were sawed off for use in weapons and tools. Once they were gone, shanks of meat as long as a man's arm were sliced off the bones until only they were left, them and gristle and fat.

Zek's arms were soaked in blood by the time he was finished, but as he washed them, he felt fulfilled. A job well done was its own reward. He held out a hand for a towel... but none was given to him.

There was no-one beside him now.

The old Myrian male cursed himself again, feelings that he had thought were dead and buried rising up again in such a simple error. His wife would be the one to dry his hands, back when she was alive. Such a proud and fierce woman, but she loved him enough to dry his hands, him, a mere male, after his work was finished.

He dried them himself, alone. He missed her all over again.

"Finished, father?"

He turned and saw his daughter Sheema standing in the doorway. Grown to womanhood and already taller than him, the very reflection of her mother despite her youth. He smiled slightly and nodded to the pile of meat. She grinned back and patted the back of his hand.

She would not ask his help to carry the load and, much as he disliked it, he would not offer to. She had to learn to carry her weight.

"Someone is coming!"

He had his ax in hand before his body had even fully exited the hut. Sunlight, filtered through the jungle canopy, made him blink once or twice, then the discomfort was gone. Stinking, oppressive humidity blanketed him in sweat before he'd gone ten paces, but such was the way of the jungle. He had heard barbarians complain there were no seasons here, just an endless, stifling summer.

Zek always rolled his eyes. What did they expect from a rainforest, after all?

Others were waiting. Most were armed. Raiders were unlikely, at least not from their own race. Myrians did not wage war on Myrians, so commanded the Goddess-Queen, and none dared defy her. Yukmen? A possibility, but then there would be an almighty racket as they approached. There was not. Human or Dhani? Possible... but unlikely. For centuries the Shorn Skulls had lived not far from Taloba, roughly between the great city and the Kandukta Basin. A raiding party of the snake people or the barbarians would need to get past the Taloba Army.

And that would never happen. Not while a single Myrian lived in the city of the Goddess-Queen.

No. It was his son.

Razkar of the Shorn Skulls emerged from the jungle, loaded down with his pack and his weapons. Immediately a volley of small children (small when he left, anyway) flocked to him, jabbering in joyful surprise. His face twisted into a half-smile as he greeted each one of them, looking over their heads to his father.

Zek smiled and nodded to his son.

"You have been gone a long time," he said when he finally approached, after they embraced, "Fighting?"

"Fighting. Training. Patrolling. Whatever is required of us."
The young warrior did not shed any of his load. Not yet. "I will not be staying long."

"Something is wrong?"

"Something must be set right. I have a debt still, with Mayla. I have returned to fulfil my vow."

Zek nodded, wondering when this issue would be resolved. For nearly a year Razkar had shirked this duty, but he had understood why. Mayla, the Old One, had gifted Razkar's gladius with the Power of The Bones. He had replaced it with the thigh bone of Elanosa, a fierce warrior, and the power of her spirit now aided him in battle. But her price was the skeleton, the entire skeleton, of a tiger. He had given his word, and that was that.

A month later, his mother was dead. Razkar had... not exactly forgotten, but it no longer became a priority. Zek had let that go, knowing his son well enough to understand that when he was ready, he would honor his vow.

And now, here he was.

"Come. You will eat first. You have travelled far."

Razkar saw the platter of raw meat in his beaming sister's arms, and decided not to argue.
My Words | Your Words | Myrian | Fratavan | My Thoughts
Razkar has been cursed by Yahal, and as such finds little acceptance from others; they will instinctively view him as being deceptive and traitorous. However, when close to one blessed by Yahal, the effect is negated. The curse is etched onto his left pectoral, and viewing the mark causes others to feel dirty and unclean.
Razkar
War Is The Answer

Words: 2242619
Joined roleplay: October 8th, 2012, 12:04 am
Race: Myrian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 9
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (2)
Trailblazer (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Ayatah on January 1st, 2013, 9:08 pm

It seemed a lot of effort to travel for more than a day from Taloba to the Kandukta Basin in order to simply bury a bone. But to Ayatah and her family name, it was a tradition that had existed for more than three generations.

There was no particular rule for who the bones would be left for, or where. As long as one would be left for the Godess-Queen, of course. Ayatah had simply taken it upon herself to take the bone, a femur, this time, to Kandukta in honour of Caiyha. The great lake would be shrunk back in the current fall, revealing a rich variety of boggy plants, so it made sense to Ayatah to honor the Goddess of Flora and Fauna. She would pick a bounty of plants whilst she was there, too, to provide a rich and delicious meal for her family.

The ground had quickly started to become boggy, before Ayatah even realised she was standing at the edge of the Basin. She looked out to the water, keeping her distance from the shallows to avoid a sudden attack from a Constrictor Dhani, The water seemed silent, and there were only a few chirps from birds to be heard. Nevertheless, Ayatah kept a hand on her dagger as she began to stab the shallows with a large stick. It was a tactic that her mother had shared; it revealed whether there were any snakes in the river, or anything else that might take a bite from Ayatah.

Having revealed nothing of interest, Ayatah crouched down, and pulled at the marshy dirt. She placed the fractured bone in her newly created hole, and then buried it again.

”Caiyha, I bring this offering from Ayatah of the Scattered Bones, on behalf of my clan and family. We thank you for the bounty that you have revealed from the Kandukta. And as always, we thank you for our Jungle home.”

The prayer was short, but Ayatah was not one for long homages unless she was praying to her Goddess-Queen for personal guidance. She stood up, and began investigating the muddiness around her. The gathering took no more than ten chimes. She was quick to stoop and pluck at the little plants, shaking them to get them as clean as possible. She admired her bounty - about seven plants - and turned her back on the Kandukta.

She had a journey that was too long to fit in the rest of the day, and she did not have the equipment to camp, neither the particular urge. There was a village that was approximately half way between Taloba and the Basin. Ayatah hoped that they would welcome an exhausted visitor.

She trudged her way through the jungle, barefoot as was the norm for her culture. Despite her slow pace, the sticky heat of the jungle quickly meant that Ayatah built up a sweat. She was clothed in basic leather armor, and the material did not allow her skin to breathe. She tugged at her clothes, pulling her top up to reveal her navel, and the black tattoo that swirled around it.

Relief hit when she saw the small village that she sought after. Upon coming closer, she noticed what appeared to be a welcome party; a young man was flocked by children of a variable age, and an older gentleman - a father or uncle? - greeted the wanderer returning home.

Hanging back for a chime or two, Ayatah decided that social awkwardness was favourable to sleeping in the jungle or trudging through the night to return to her home. She emerged from the foliage and nodded her head respectfully to the strangers.

”Greetings. I am Ayatah - of the Scattered Bones. I apologize for interrupting, but I was hoping to be able to rest here for the night before returning to Taloba.” She raised her hand, which was full of plants she had picked from the Kandukta wrapped in cloth. ”I have food to offer for the trouble.” She had certainly harvested more than her family would use in the four or five days that the plants would remain fresh, anyway.

|| Ayatah's speech || Ayatah's thoughts || Others' speech ||
Last edited by Ayatah on January 3rd, 2013, 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ayatah
The Scholarly Savage

Words: 667148
Joined roleplay: December 27th, 2012, 11:30 am
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Razkar on January 1st, 2013, 10:36 pm

When the shape emerged from the treeline, Razkar's hand immediately went to his gladius. Following the same instinct, his father did the same, and some of the grown Myrians around them... but then they saw one of their own, and a female at that.

"Greetings. I am Ayatah - of the Scattered Skulls. I apologize for interrupting, but I was hoping to be able to rest here for the night before returning to Taloba.”

At once the tension in the air dispelled, replaced with something akin to welcome. Myrians were a suspicious and distrusting race by nature, even among their own kind. But that tendency had become both more extreme and mellowed. Now their hatred and mistrust was directed towards the other, barbarian races, both defiling their own jungle and beyond it. But the Goddess-Queen had sought to forge a single, unified people from a lands of clans and tribes... and she had succeeded.

How? Many ways, but hospitality was one of them.

"You may stay, Ayatah of the Scattered Skulls," the words came from Lowax, the matriarch of the clan, who had appeared to greet Razkar and now turned her eyes to the visitor, "I am Lowax, and you are among the Shorn Skulls."

"I have food to offer for the trouble.”

Razkar frowned minutely as his eyes fell to the bushel of vegetables, plants and herbs in the female's hands. Truth be told, he was a little annoyed she'd stolen the thunder of his return, but, well... why worry about it? Besides, she wasn't exactly hard to look at.

He crushed a smile at that thought. Yeah, a cynical little voice said, neither were half of your instructors, and you still have scars from them.

He waited for this Ayatah to introduce herself to the elders, as was their custom. Warrior though Razkar was, he was still both young and male. Both meant he had to wait his turn in Myrian culture. But his father Zek was soon before her, rough beard parted as he smiled in greeting, red scar crossing his face somehow less vivid when he did.

"I am Zek, mistress," he said, always the epitome of manners, then reached back to put a callused hand on Razkar's shoulder and give it a squeeze, "You have met some of my daughters, and this is my eldest son. Razkar. Like you, he has only just arrived. We were about to feast, as a matter of fact."

Razkar extended his hand to the female, already wondering how they could season those dear shanks with the herbs she carried...
Razkar has been cursed by Yahal, and as such finds little acceptance from others; they will instinctively view him as being deceptive and traitorous. However, when close to one blessed by Yahal, the effect is negated. The curse is etched onto his left pectoral, and viewing the mark causes others to feel dirty and unclean.
Razkar
War Is The Answer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Ayatah on January 2nd, 2013, 1:58 pm

ImageAyatah noticed how the hands of many fell to their respective weapons, but this did not surprise her. Myrians were observant but untrustworthy. Any sounds not familiar to their day-to-day lives would be greeted with hostility. Of course, she greeted their new hospitality with polite smiles and nods to each of them in turn.

“I am Lowax, and you are among the Shorn Skulls."

The name aroused a memory in Ayatah - of her the matriarch of her own family teaching her the names of families and clans. The Shorn Skulls; known for creating capes out of their enemies’ scalps, she remembered. Whereas outside of Taloba, such an act would be seen as disgusting or even illegal, it bought a small, sick smile to Ayatah’s lips. ”I have heard of the cloaks your family makes out of the scalps of you enemy. Very artistic, they’re almost beautiful, I hear.”

She glanced at the faces of the people around her, and she flashed her teeth in a polite smile when a particularly bushy-faced gent approached her:

"I am Zek, mistress. You have met some of my daughters, and this is my eldest son. Razkar. Like you, he has only just arrived. We were about to feast, as a matter of fact."

Her dark eyes followed him, ”It is good to meet you, Zek.” she said, appreciating Zek’s politeness and manners. Outsiders would be surprised of the kindness we show each other, she thought, and she imagined that her own mysterious father would have been impressed - for all his assumed pomp and know-it-all.

Her attention shadowed Zek’s arm as it landed on the shoulder of an unusually tall younger male. The Myrian male seemed more interested in the marsh-plants Ayatah had offered to the Shorn Skulls - although Ayatah herself found it hard to ignore the aroma of meat that lingered around her in the village. ”Where have you come from, Razkar?” She asked, her head tilted to one side in an inquisitive manner. How very un-Myrian, and Eypharian. She scolded herself, rolling her shoulders in the joints as she straightened her form once again.

Ayatah
The Scholarly Savage

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Razkar on January 2nd, 2013, 3:39 pm

"Where have you come from, Razkar?”

Razkar blinked a few times before he answered. She was... unusually forward, this female. But as he looked closer at her, into her eyes and around them for the first full time, he could see why. Not that he was lacking for reason: only a madman or a fool would look at that fine face and see ugliness (well, perhaps the ball people, he thought to himself, remembering stories he'd heard in the barracks about a strange race that were comprised entirely of talking, tiny balls). No, it was... something else... something in her scent, too.

She is not wholly Myrian.

"From the barracks at Taloba," he said, looking her in the eyes and frowning just a touch when she cocked her head and cocked it back. Very unusual. "I have served for a year, so now I get thirty days to myself. Fortunately, my kin are not far from the city." He gestured around him at the smiling (and slightly envious) female faces. "Sheema, my oldest sister... Jeenu, my youngest... Karvu, my middle sister..."

Then a smaller but erect male appeared at his side, barely into his teens, but already with the proud, aggressive bearing that always set apart Myrians. But usually in females. This male would cause trouble in the future...

"And this," Razkar said with a smile, draping an arm around the male's shoulder, "Is my brother, Jakuo. Now-" he raised his voice a little higher "-mayhap we could all do with some feeding!"

There was a rumble of unanimous approval, but the feast would not start right away. There were still plenty of chores to be done, errands to be run and jobs to be finished off. The village broke around them, the Elders staying close to make sure their guest got settled in properly.

Zek leaned over to his son and squeezed his shoulder. Razkar nodded and cast his dark eyes at the woman one more time. Already he was trying to guess her second side. Human? No, she was too strong for that, and too dark. Isurian? No, too tall. What, then...?

"I will speak to you later, mistress," he said with a short bow, "when we feast."

Then he turned and walked away, to stow his baggage and help his clan prepare for their feast.
Razkar
War Is The Answer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Ayatah on January 2nd, 2013, 6:43 pm

The male did not miss much, judging by the way his eyes investigated into Ayatah's own, and then surveyed her some more. The bikka will drop, eventually she thought bitterly. It was not unusual for others to take note of her mixed blood. Men, especially, seeing as her Eypharian heritage apparently meant that she would catch the attention of men like some kind of tigress in heat. As an adolescent, she had tried to hide this by stuffing her pockets with aromatic herbs, but it was no use - the humidity of the jungle made everyone sweat, and in Ayatah’s case, this meant her sweet pheromones made heads turn. And turned heads looked on with suspicion, and this would swiftly turn to whispers. Her reaction to strangers’ inquisitive looks varied depending on how they themselves investigated her. Some would tread carefully; asking politely what clan her father had lived with before moving with her mother’s. Ayatah guessed that the young gentleman would not approach the topic so delicately, if he did at all. The strangest response to her bloodline Ayatah had witnessed was from a middle-aged woman who asked if she could bottle Ayatah’s sweat to dab on herself (Ayatah had declined graciously).

”I have just finished my service, strange our paths did not cross before.” She wished that conversation would drag his attention away from the apparent mystery of Ayatah's parentage. That frown atop of his brow made Ayatah very aware that her limbs were an inch or two too long, her skin too smooth, to be a pureblooded Myrian. Regardless, she held his gaze, with an aloofness that whispered Eypharian, Eypharian.

She followed along with his introductions, smiling a greeting to each of the family members he gestured to. She was terrible with names, unfortunately. I will have to listen to them speak amongst themselves to remember their names. She thought meekly.
"And this is my brother, Jakuo.”The male youngster was perhaps a little more memorable, with his Myrian haughtiness that made Ayatah’s dark eyes glint along with her smile.

”Mayhap we could all do with some feeding!"The mention of food suddenly made everyone around her burst into activity, finishing the day’s work before rewarding themselves with their meal. Ayatah watched silently, but felt a pair of eyes watch her. She turned, and met the gaze with a steely look of her own.”I will speak to you later, mistress.”The young man's promise of later conversation made Ayatah force herself to swallow a smirk. Instead, she nodded courteously in response to his bow.”I look forward to it.”

When he walked away, Ayatah shifted a little awkwardly as she observed the family around buzzing past her; she was used to joining in with the tasks, not simply standing apart from it all. She turned to Lowax (she was bad at names, yes, but even Ayatah could purposefully memorize the name of the matriarch of the family with whom she would spending the night).
”I am happy to lend a hand with any tasks, seeing as you have all welcomed me so warmly.” She said, a hand gesturing to the several daughters, sons, parents and the like.

Ayatah
The Scholarly Savage

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Razkar on January 3rd, 2013, 5:03 am

"Father, can we just finish this?"

"As you wish, son,"
a few chimes of silence and then it was shattered again, as Razkar knew it would be, "But she is quite an attractive girl-"

"Goddess help me...!"

Razkar hung his head again and the newly-fletched arrow in his hands is momentarily forgotten. The only good thing that he could see resulting from his mother's death was that she wasn't around to nag...

His throat tightened at the thought and he ground his teeth, welcoming the pain.

Nothing is good about her being dead. Nothing.

"Father," he finally said, sliding the new arrow into a quiver and moving onto the next featherless shaft, "Can you not wait at least until my service is complete?"

"I'm just saying-"

"You never "just say", father,"
Razkar said wryly, pointing at the older man a moment with the stick, then carefully inserting two feathers, "There's always a point. So what's yours?"

"Just as I said. She's a beautiful girl and a warrior. She would make a fine wife for you, and mother for your-"

Razkar held up a hand and winced at the same time, face twisted as if stung. Twenty-three times had he celebrated his birth, and already he was being pushed towards a mate?! He thought not. He had much more to do, so see, to experience. But the odds were against him and, now he thought of it, Ayatah. Those their age were always pushed towards popping out younglings, even though they were expected at the same time to be capable of fighting for their people, Goddess and nation at the same time.

Razkar had to smile at that thought. They were probably one of few races in the world that could, too.

"Just... later, please? I'm starving."

"As you wish..."

Razkar looked up again with a scowl under his face. Oh, he knew that tone of old. Just slightly lilting, apparently ageeing but secretly deciding to do the exact opposite of what you were intending. He sighed and finished the arrow, adding it to the quiver. Nearly done, then the hunting party would be prepared for tomorrow, and they could eat...

Four bells later and the sun had nearly set over their swath of Falyndar. Not that it was easy to tell with the canopy, of course. Even this close to Taloba the trees grew so tall and lustrous that they blocked out most of the sky, hundreds of feet worth of leaves spreading out above them.

And there was the bonfire, of course.

Razkar sat with his father and sisters and brother, legs crossed, plate of meat and vegetables before him, and considered just... staying. He'd missed this, much as he hadn't realized (or perhaps just not admitted?). Home was something to be escaped from when he had first come to Taloba. Bad memories... or just one big one in particular. Either way, he had left and he did not look back.

He understood now just how much his grief had blinded him. As he watched Sheema dance with a young male (who would, of course, get a friendly lecture from Razkar about the pros and cons of taking advantage of the sister of a man who could and would castrate him with a blunt stick), and his father talk with Lowax and gossip and laugh, and the rest of them enjoy the cooler night and good food, he felt... content.

He inhaled deeper and the good feeling inexplicably swelled... and realized it was when the visitor sat next to him.

Razkar turned, frowning, to see Ayatah sitting there. She was still a puzzlement. But she returned his level stare and smiled...

To the hells with it, he thought with a smile, offering her a roasted shank, questions can wait.
Razkar
War Is The Answer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Ayatah on January 3rd, 2013, 3:06 pm

ImageLowax of the Shorn Skulls had refused Ayatah’s offer to help the rest of the clan in their nightly chores - she was, after all, a guest. Instead, the matriarch had shown Ayatah the cloak of scalps that the Shorn Skulls’ name came from (the Cloaks of Fallen, Ayatah learnt, were their names amongst the clan). The scalp capes were, as she had expected, both hideous and impressive at the same time. She had always been fascinated how different clans had their varied traditions - an old acquaintance of hers belonged to the Shrunken Hands clan. Ayatah remembered how the tiny, mutated hands of their victims had reached out to her from the walls of the hut the family lived in.

It felt strange for Ayatah to sit beside the bonfire whilst the clan around her worked. She watched quietly, sometimes conversing with a passing man, woman or child, and offering her hand once again. She was refused on each account, which was expected for a Myrian guest, but felt unnatural all the same. They were an active race, with even young children pulling their weight by finding firewood, or bringing the adults tools as and when needed.

Still, she enjoyed witnessing a busy clan working together. Her own family was on the smaller side in comparison; her mother had been blessed with four brothers, which had meant that the clan was full of ferociously protective warrior-brothers to protect the clan. But as they grew and found their own mates, they left the Scattered Bones to move in with their respective new families. It resulted in the family home being inhabited by only eight relatives. Her uncles and male cousins still visited, and sent a share of their income to the family home, but it meant that their nightly meals were a… quieter affair.

Ayatah half-listened to the conversations about her, smiling faintly as she heard the balance of cooperatives murmurings and elsewhere, an exasperated moan. Turning in the direction of the latter, she realised that it was the male she had spoken to earlier, Razkar and his father, who seemed to be debating something intensely. She watched the two interact, interested - but not in what they were saying, but the way father and son socialised. Ayatah’s mother had found a mate when Ayatah was seven years old. Her stepfather was a kindly man, and she was incredibly fond of him. But she had been that bit too old when he moved into the Scattered Bones’ clan home to call him her own father. A father was something that she was fascinated in, yet at the same time, she had zero interest in ever finding her own.

By the time food was served, Ayatah was near salivating. It had been too many bells since she had last eaten, and the meat that was cooking smelled delicious. Whilst it was being passed around, she seated herself in the remaining spare place, next to Razkar. There she sat, watching one of the sisters she had met previously - Shyma, Sesma? Her name began with an ‘S’, but the rest of it eluded Ayatah’s memory.

A piece of meat dragged Ayatah’s attention away from the dancing. The offering was from Razkar, who was smiling. The offering - the smile as well - made Ayatah pause before accepting it. He seemed so cool earlier, she thought, almost suspicious. She batted the doubts aside and took the shank of meat from him, returning his smile with one of her own, ”Thank you, Razkar. This food is incredible, your clan is very hospitable.” She couldn’t help but admire the tattoos that covered her company’s body, even appreciate the body that was covered by them as she pulled apart the delicate meat in her hands.

Ayatah
The Scholarly Savage

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Razkar on January 4th, 2013, 1:08 am

"Thank you, Razkar. This food is incredible, your clan is very hospitable.”

Again, Razkar felt that swell. A compliment from her, even indirect, was enough to make his smile broaden. A male from his tribe - Ekual, an old friend of his - walkd past, nodded at her, smiled-

-and Razkar all but bared his teeth.

What is wrong with you?!

"Yes... thank you," he said, blinking and resisting the urge to shake his head, as if clearing it from a heavy fog, "Lowax is quite the cook, is she not?"

Something was wrong, he had decided. He had already guessed the female was not quite Myrian: he features were too soft, not angled or shaded quit right to be truly of their line. But her boy was sinewy and toughened and darkened by the jungle as only a true dweller of Falyndar could be.

Razkar turned his attention back to Ayatah and found her eyes studying the tattoos covering most of his body. Her eyes lingered on the large one covering most of his left shoulder... and he saw her eyes narrow as she saw the puckered, scarred skin under the ink.

"That was a bad one," he said, rubbing the tattoo, smile wry and rueful. "A tiger, last year, actually. Killed three of my... my friends. I managed to survive long enough for my clan to save me from it."

Razkar seemed to withdraw into himself for a moment. Was T'Umka really his friend? Some of the last words they had spoken were beyond anger: they were words that could only be solved by steel and blood. But he had come to Razkar's aid when he needed it; so did Razkar to his. So what was the lesson there? Was there one?"

His eyes flashed to her, as if angered by the introspection, and the words rasped out of him before he could stop them.

"You are different."
Razkar
War Is The Answer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Razkar on January 4th, 2013, 1:08 am

"Thank you, Razkar. This food is incredible, your clan is very hospitable.”

Again, Razkar felt that swell. A compliment from her, even indirect, was enough to make his smile broaden. A male from his tribe - Ekual, an old friend of his - walkd past, nodded at her, smiled-

-and Razkar all but bared his teeth.

What is wrong with you?!

"Yes... thank you," he said, blinking and resisting the urge to shake his head, as if clearing it from a heavy fog, "Lowax is quite the cook, is she not?"

Something was wrong, he had decided. He had already guessed the female was not quite Myrian: he features were too soft, not angled or shaded quit right to be truly of their line. But her boy was sinewy and toughened and darkened by the jungle as only a true dweller of Falyndar could be.

Razkar turned his attention back to Ayatah and found her eyes studying the tattoos covering most of his body. Her eyes lingered on the large one covering most of his left shoulder... and he saw her eyes narrow as she saw the puckered, scarred skin under the ink.

"That was a bad one," he said, rubbing the tattoo, smile wry and rueful. "A tiger, last year, actually. Killed three of my... my friends. I managed to survive long enough for my clan to save me from it."

Razkar seemed to withdraw into himself for a moment. Was T'Umka really his friend? Some of the last words they had spoken were beyond anger: they were words that could only be solved by steel and blood. But he had come to Razkar's aid when he needed it; so did Razkar to his. So what was the lesson there? Was there one?"

His eyes flashed to her, as if angered by the introspection, and the words rasped out of him before he could stop them.

"You are different."
Razkar
War Is The Answer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Next