[Wiki] 10 Things You Need to Know - APPROVED

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This is the first step to starting a lore article. Please hold all conversations about lores here in this forum. No development takes place here ie Article posting. This forum is simply for threads that want to hash out what a lore should or shouldn't include as well as its merits and flaws. One can also gauge interest in new lore here as well. Polls are encouraged.

Moderator: Scribes

[Wiki] 10 Things You Need to Know - APPROVED

Postby Dusk on June 6th, 2010, 8:23 am

Okay, so I was thinking that we needed a list of things that people need to know before they start playing. There's a section on the front page of the Lore, but it says there's not really much you need to know - which, as anyone who's been in chat in the last month or caught a few first drafts of character sheets knows, isn't quite the case. I propose that that section be changed to read the following:

"Mizahar's lore can look daunting at first, but you do not need to be familiar with the vast majority of it. However, there are a few quick points that will better help you understand the world and figure out if Mizahar is the place for you. These can be found in the Need To Know section."

And then create a page called Need To Know:

Below is a list of things you'll need to know before you begin the process of playing in Mizahar. If you have any questions on these or any other items, please contact a Storyteller and we'll be happy to help!

10 Things You Need To Know

1. Mizahar is first and foremost about collaborative storytelling, but there are rules involved in both character creation and playing. However, these rules were developed and written by the Founders of Mizahar. They are not D&D rules, or White Wolf rules, so please be sure to look them over and be aware of how things are done. Reading the rules/Lore and following the Character Starting Guide will save you an awful lot of trouble.

2. This game does not have vampires, werewolves, demons, angels, faeries, unicorns, or dragons. There are also no anthropomorphic animals - please read the Kelvic description CAREFULLY! They can only be in either fully human or fully animal form. No humans with cat ears or wagging tails. It's also important to note that Kelvics are animals that can take human form, not the other way around, so be prepared to roleplay an animal's behavior and psychology.

3. Mizahar is a dangerous world. The cities that exist do so because a large number of people have huddled together and carved out that existence with blood and sweat. Anything outside of those cities is in danger of being destroyed by predators, monsters, bandits, slavers, and the land itself. Because of this, there really aren't any villages or small settlements dotting the land. There aren't small towns ruled by Lords, and people don't live alone in cabins in the woods - if they did, they'd be killed very quickly. In fact, traveling anywhere alone, and most especially in the wilderness, should almost always end with your character in dire straits.

4. Read the Lore page of the city your character will be starting in. If a Lore page is not available, read some of the threads on the board or send a Private Message to the Domain Storyteller with any questions you may have before you start playing your character. This will give you vital information on the setting that you'll be playing in. For instance, Syliras is ruled by the Knights, who are fastidious about keeping crime out of it. As such, there are no assassin's guilds, mafias, crime syndicates, or gangs roaming the streets. Knowing your surroundings is part of being able to properly play your character and interact with other characters.

5. As a rule, everyone in Mizahar can read and write their native language.

6. After the Valterrian, there are no large-scale governments. Each city is autonomous, and has its own system of law and order (or lack thereof). There is no King or Queen, no overarching system of Lords or Dukes or what-have-you. Each city sets its own rules, and it's up to you to learn what those rules are.

7. The only steel that exists in Mizahar is Isurian steel. No need to go on and on about how your steel katana can cut through four bodies in one stroke, 'cause it just ain't so. :)

Once you build your character and start playing, there are a few key things you'll want to know...

8. In order to gain experience points and further your character, you must submit a completed thread to the region's Domain Storyteller or Assistant Storyteller for it to be awarded. Any money your character makes or items they may attain will be awarded as part of the XP Award and should not be added to your character sheet until it is approved by a moderator.

9. Flashbacks are scenes which take place in the past and allow you to further your character's training or explain backstory points of their plot. Flashbacks can only take place prior to the season in which you joined the game. For instance, if you created your character in Spring 510 AV, your flashbacks can only take place in Winter 509 AV or earlier. Once you reach Summer 510 AV, you can't do flashbacks in Spring 510 AV.

10. No, we will not restructure the Skills because you think Markmanship should be it's own category. No, we don't think it'd work better if it were structured like World of Warcraft. No, we are not accepting ideas for new races, you have 23 to choose from. This is not to say that we aren't looking for interesting ideas or for people to submit work to help us flesh out the Wiki - we have, in fact, dedicated an entire forum to encouraging player-based ideas for development. But please keep in mind that the basic foundations of the game are in place for a reason and have been in place for quite some time, and it's unlikely that they will be changed.

Lemme know what you think, these were just sort of off the top of my head; when it's turned into a Wiki page, it would of course have a hundred more links to everything under the sun, I just didn't want to go through and do the BBC for it since that won't do any good for the Wiki coding. If you have better suggestions or suggestions for changes, I'd be more than happy to incorporate them.

Also, let's try and keep this serious and not start a rant of things that annoy us - though you're more than welcome to open a thread for that in the Non-Mizahar Discussions forum. Or just reply to Goss' scrapbook. ;)
Last edited by Dusk on June 10th, 2010, 5:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
PLEASE NOTE: Finals are over, but summer is eating my soul. As such, as of the end of June I will not be accepting any new quests/modded threads until I finish some of the ones I've already started/agreed to. My apologies for this, but I don't want to be unfair to those who have been waiting for replies!

Dusk's Office - Information on Syliras - Help Desk
Dusk
DS: Syliras and Wildlands

Words: 341560
Joined roleplay: April 6th, 2010, 5:33 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 7
Featured Contributor (1) Trailblazer (1)
Donor (1) Power Fork (2)
Trash Medal (1) Thunderspork (1)

[Wiki] 10 Things You Need to Know

Postby Panna Cotta on June 6th, 2010, 8:55 am

Hey this is great! Like a welcome message especially for the newbies who get drowned with the amazing volume of original info about Mizahar. I know you mean for this to be concise, and while this is really great, I'd like to point out two things:

1. Why does it have Kelvics and Syliras specifically mentioned? I understand you mean for this to be an example, but there are thousand of other awkward things we also have to learn about, say, (in lieu of self-gratification) nuits. Or any other race for that matter. I think, stuff like this should be separated or turned into "10 Things you should know about (insert race)" (which will be awesome, if people would gladly make articles of).

When you mentioned that Syliras didn't have mafia, and all evil (but awesome!) stuff, I thought, hey there are other places where these organizations could be around. We can mention Black Rock and Ravok, cause those are dark and dangerous places. Also, it's not like players can't form one (maybe somebody will, who knows?). And same with the Kelvic-thing I pointed out: while you did say study about your area, and so on, there's still a slight promotion with the mention of specific areas, and them being highlighted might overshadow the unique awesomeness of other places. And we all know we've got tons of awesome placeseses! :)

2. Did I mention this was awesome? Cause it really is! I should make one for nuits! *kicks self into motivation* This is really great especially for the people who get overwhelmed at first. It's like a toned down version of Mizahar's Lore section. Really great for those lazy people and not-so-lazy people (or those who like informal articles) who cannot be bothered to read 10 more articles to jump into the game. It's a good way to say, "Hey guys, we've got 101s for you!"

Good job! Maybe you can tweak it a little more?
Panna Cotta
I'm your Princess P

Words: 320216
Joined roleplay: May 21st, 2010, 2:45 pm
Blog: View Blog (7)
Office
Medals: 1
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Tarot on June 6th, 2010, 12:38 pm

I think the reason Kelvics and Syliras are mentioned is that about 30% of our new players want to be a Kelvic but many think of them as werewolves/furs and don't bother reading the full article. And another 20% want to be assassins in Syliras which is just not an option. :) These are, statistically, by far the most common misconceptions among new players and the poor mods have to repeat that every single time.

Question: I got the idea from Pan's post - can you see a benefit in sending an auto-PM to every new account with this short list of things they MUST know? I can add that feature.
Tarot's thread tickets: sold out. Not accepting any more threads for the time being unless I promised you one. Sorry for the inconvenience!
Tarot
May you live in interesting times

Words: 766317
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:29 pm
Blog: View Blog (11)
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Thread (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Being Tarot Award (1)
O RLY Decoration (1)

Postby Hex on June 6th, 2010, 2:58 pm

Tarot, I like the idea of it being sent to new players, rather than us hoping they navigate it.

Good job Dusk, this is sooooooo needed!!! *punches the new idiots in the face* There are too many!!! I can't hold them off for much longer!!!
Hex
Ghost Chasing Healer

Words: 169721
Joined roleplay: December 4th, 2009, 4:57 am
Blog: View Blog (6)
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 2
Artist (1) Donor (1)

Postby Jaquise Emittere on June 6th, 2010, 3:32 pm

I like it. It hits a lot of the points I see new people miss.

Tarot, that would be sweet.
Jaquise Emittere
Magic Swordsman

Words: 173150
Joined roleplay: January 10th, 2010, 2:59 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Griffith on June 6th, 2010, 3:55 pm

Might want to include the name-must-match-character thing, since about 75% of the new people seem to miss that, and it's a hassle I think the mods would rather avoid.

Unfortunately, if it's sent in a PM, that tidbit doesn't do much good... And posting it in the wiki and making it an auto-PM would just seem pushy (or it would to me, if I were new). Hmm... Well, just thought I'd mention a reminder about the naming policy.
“No matter under what circumstances you leave it, home does not cease to be home. No matter how you lived there - well or poorly.”
Griffith
of the Tents of Malkyn, of the sons of Benha

Words: 49339
Joined roleplay: April 21st, 2010, 7:27 am
Race: Human, Benshira
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Peer Reviewer (1)

Postby Aren on June 6th, 2010, 8:42 pm

I agree with Grifith. Getting a PM with all this stuff would have seemed more overwhelming to me than simply going around at my own pace and exploring the lore sections. I would have felt like I'd done something wrong from the beginning.
Aren
By Wysar's blue balls!

Words: 434994
Joined roleplay: May 28th, 2010, 6:44 am
Race: Akalak
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Gossamer on June 6th, 2010, 10:44 pm

I like this. However, I would suggest somewhere mentioning that Syliras is not the official starting city of all newbs. I'd encourage people to start in any city - any activity and new folks would/will come. I'd also add more links to resources throughout your commentary... at least wiki tags like you have the starting guide

Otherwise a PM is a good idea. :).
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6357243
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Cayenne on June 7th, 2010, 1:49 am

Looks pretty good to me. I love the idea of a PM sent at account creation!
Cayenne
Jungle Queen

Words: 440090
Joined roleplay: March 26th, 2009, 3:48 pm
Blog: View Blog (5)
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
One Thousand Posts! (1) Power Fork (2)
Thunderspork (1)

Postby Dusk on June 7th, 2010, 7:19 am

Great suggestions!

Jen - yeah, like I said there'll be a billion links, but there's no point doing them here because the BBC doesn't transfer to Wiki Coding, so it'd just be a mess when I copied it over (assuming it's approved!). :) But the advice about not always starting in Syliras is definitely on point and added below!

Panna - Tarot's right, I dealt with the issues that come up most often during character creation (either as seen in first drafts of CS's or questions that come up daily in chat), and most of them involve either Kelvics or misconceptions about what exactly Syliras is like. Also, it's helpful to have examples of things, and the ones I know best involve Syliras. :) And I'm also a little wary of making the "10 Things" list for each race because, honestly, if they're going to read that, they're going to read the Lore page on the individual race and then they shouldn't need the 10 Things list. But it might be a good thing to get a list together of little things and put it in the Wiki on each Race's page - if you start another WD thread with it, I'd totally review and give some feedback on it!

So I made the suggested changes, and we're up to 12 now, but I think they're all necessary. Does anyone else have any more suggestions? Do you think any of these need to be edited or cut? Lemme know!

Also, I think the PM might be a good idea, but instead of being something like this, I think it should be a "These are the pages you should read (insert links to 12 Things, Starting Guide, Race List, Skill List, etc) before starting a character. If you have questions, go here (linky). You can also get help in Chat, which is here(link)." As some people said, being bombarded with information right off the bat might be a little much, but a list of links will be more helpful than hurtful in my opinion.

Anyway, updated here!

Below is a list of things you'll need to know before you begin the process of playing in Mizahar. If you have any questions on these or any other items, please contact a Storyteller and we'll be happy to help!

12 Things You Need To Know

1. Mizahar is first and foremost about collaborative storytelling, but there are rules involved in both character creation and playing. However, these rules were developed and written by the Founders of Mizahar. They are not D&D rules, or White Wolf rules, so please be sure to look them over and be aware of how things are done. Reading the rules/Lore and following the Character Starting Guide will save you an awful lot of trouble.

2. This game does not have vampires, werewolves, demons, angels, faeries, unicorns, or dragons. There are also no anthropomorphic animals - please read the Kelvic description CAREFULLY! They can only be in either fully human or fully animal form. No humans with cat ears or wagging tails. It's also important to note that Kelvics are animals that can take human form, not the other way around, so be prepared to roleplay an animal's behavior and psychology.

3. Mizahar is a dangerous world. The cities that exist do so because a large number of people have huddled together and carved out that existence with blood and sweat. Anything outside of those cities is in danger of being destroyed by predators, monsters, bandits, slavers, and the land itself. Because of this, there really aren't any villages or small settlements dotting the land. There aren't small towns ruled by Lords, and people don't live alone in cabins in the woods - if they did, they'd be killed very quickly. In fact, traveling anywhere alone, and most especially in the wilderness, should almost always end with your character in dire straits.

4. Read the Lore page of the city your character will be starting in. If a Lore page is not available, read some of the threads on the board or send a Private Message to the Domain Storyteller with any questions you may have before you start playing your character. This will give you vital information on the setting that you'll be playing in. For instance, Syliras is ruled by the Knights, who are fastidious about keeping crime out of it. As such, there are no assassin's guilds, mafias, crime syndicates, or gangs roaming the streets. However, these organizations might exist in Ravok or Sunberth. Knowing your surroundings is part of being able to properly play your character and interact with other characters.

5. Along the same lines, please keep in mind that Syliras is not the default "starting" city. A lot of new players seem to be under the impression that their character must start in Syliras, but you're welcome to start in any city you like! There's a lot of fantastic cities in Mizahar with a wide range of settings, plots, and awesome moderators - feel free to explore other forums and find out what they have to offer!

6. As a rule, everyone in Mizahar can read and write their native language.

7. When you create your account on the forums, your handle MUST be your character name. It cannot be "babygrrl89" or "TheDarknessWithin" or anything like that, it needs to be an actual name.

8. After the Valterrian, there are no large-scale governments. Each city is autonomous, and has its own system of law and order (or lack thereof). There is no King or Queen, no overarching system of Lords or Dukes or what-have-you. Each city sets its own rules, and it's up to you to learn what those rules are.

9. The only steel that exists in Mizahar is Isurian steel. No need to go on and on about how your steel katana can cut through four bodies in one stroke, 'cause it just ain't so. :)

Once you build your character and start playing, there are a few key things you'll want to know...

10. In order to gain experience points and further your character, you must submit a completed thread to the region's Domain Storyteller or Assistant Storyteller for it to be awarded. Any money your character makes or items they may attain will be awarded as part of the XP Award and should not be added to your character sheet until it is approved by a moderator.

11. Flashbacks are scenes which take place in the past and allow you to further your character's training or explain backstory points of their plot. Flashbacks can only take place prior to the season in which you joined the game. For instance, if you created your character in Spring 510 AV, your flashbacks can only take place in Winter 509 AV or earlier. Once you reach Summer 510 AV, you can't do flashbacks in Spring 510 AV.

12. No, we will not restructure the Skills because you think Markmanship should be it's own category. No, we don't think it'd work better if it were structured like World of Warcraft. No, we are not accepting ideas for new races, you have 23 to choose from. This is not to say that we aren't looking for interesting ideas or for people to submit work to help us flesh out the Wiki - we have, in fact, dedicated an entire forum to encouraging player-based ideas for development. But please keep in mind that the basic foundations of the game are in place for a reason and have been in place for quite some time, and it's unlikely that they will be changed.
PLEASE NOTE: Finals are over, but summer is eating my soul. As such, as of the end of June I will not be accepting any new quests/modded threads until I finish some of the ones I've already started/agreed to. My apologies for this, but I don't want to be unfair to those who have been waiting for replies!

Dusk's Office - Information on Syliras - Help Desk
Dusk
DS: Syliras and Wildlands

Words: 341560
Joined roleplay: April 6th, 2010, 5:33 pm
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 7
Featured Contributor (1) Trailblazer (1)
Donor (1) Power Fork (2)
Trash Medal (1) Thunderspork (1)

Next