Tsukiko Developmental Ideas~

Some development ideas that I'm tossing around. Opinions are encouraged! :D

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This is the development forum for the Suvan Sea. The Suvan is a place of great adventure and undiscovered wonders, and far below where the air touches is a place where those things are being defined. Everything is worked on down in the deep, and anyone is welcome to join. Join us as we collaborate!

Postby Tsukiko on January 31st, 2013, 10:31 pm

Oo~ that sounds good Anchor ^^

Nai'a, since I edited the images, do cpoyrights still apply? (I'm honestly clueless about this kind of thing... )
Credits to Shausha
Tsukiko
Sings both night & noon, dreaming of the moon

Words: 123880
Joined roleplay: January 10th, 2013, 1:15 am
Blog: View Blog (6)
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Nai'a on January 31st, 2013, 10:43 pm

It is just like plagiarizing someone else stories, just because you write them slightly differently, you are still using the main concept, even if you added a few words or removed a few. So it would still apply, even if you edit them, because the idea/image is still theirs. :)
Due to college I will not be as active as I was. Sorry, but do not give up on me :)! I will reply ASAP
Nai'a
Healing is the art of caring.

Words: 184578
Joined roleplay: December 31st, 2012, 6:37 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Anchor on January 31st, 2013, 11:17 pm

Maybe another reason why the whales couldn't make it to the north is because they couldn't fit through the Middle Sea?
Will be gone for a couple days, grades need lifting

The Suvan Sea

The Suvan Sea *** Fierce Currents OOC *** Current Events

Black Rock
(Temporary Responsibility)
Black Rock *** Morbid Musings OOC *** Domain Lore
Anchor
Come diving with me

Words: 155953
Joined roleplay: November 14th, 2012, 4:21 am
Race: Staff account
Office
Medals: 1
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Tsukiko on January 31st, 2013, 11:20 pm

Oh, okay, thanks for clearing that up Nai'a! :D

I found it by using google... and it's one of those free wallpapers... There is no information that I can find about the artist though.
http://www.hqwallpapers.net/trees-islands-whale-wallpapers.html
Credits to Shausha
Tsukiko

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Silarial on February 17th, 2013, 10:29 am

Maybe you can create some amphibian-like animals that can be the main inhabitants of the island? Like when the whale plunges itself underwater, these hypothetical animals can survive with it. Said animals can survive and breath on land for a period of time before needing to go under the water again.

OR it could have normal animals on its back, but whenever it submerges to look for food, it creates a big air bubble on it back that keeps the water at bay and lets the animals live normally as if it was on any normal land. I don't know if that's possible though, so you should take my ideas with a grain of salt.

And regarding copyright issues, the picture belongs to Khalid Al-Muharraqi. I've mailed him for permission so you could use his work. Still waiting for his go-ahead though.
Silarial
Well... that happened.

Words: 140345
Joined roleplay: November 19th, 2012, 6:44 am
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Tsukiko on February 17th, 2013, 10:39 am

Thank you so much for contacting him! I couldn't find who did it... thank you so much!

And those are some good ideas. The first one is very interesting... hmmm... maybe I could do something with that, perhaps make some smaller creatures... :D
As for the second one, I thought about it, but I wasn't sure if it was possible either. I could ask if it would be possible, though I'm not sure it would be, since it would have to be a large area to cover...
Credits to Shausha
Tsukiko

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Thundiirn on February 17th, 2013, 9:33 pm

Here's a biological solution to your whale problem, of course it's up to you if you take it :)

Due to genetic deficiencies, the majority of the whales body is capable for living centuries or more, however their lungs have some problem and can only last for 50 years or so. The LARGE majority of the species dies when the lungs are fully depleted, however a select few that stayed near the surface and the shore more than most of their kind as this process was happening managed to get some small plant life growing on their backs, and as they age and grow bigger this small plant life eventually grows with them to become full fledged ecosystems. You could go two ways with the instinctual-ness of this process for the whales. One could be that their brain knows that they need to get plant life on their back to live longer, and so many stay close to the coast where they are incredibly likely to be poached, explaining the low frequency of island whales. Another could be that it's a blip in nature that was never supposed to happen, but because of some strange property of their skin it could. The few 1-3 that actually managed it did so by mistake. Perhaps they were sick, their lungs were giving out faster than normal, and so they were hugging the shore, away from the rest of their pod (or whatever a family of whales is called). Sort of like how cats go and hide when they die, except in this case when they went to "hide" they unwittingly found a way to live longer. If you choose that option I recommend against the poaching idea, as if both were the case it seems more likely that there would be 0 island whales. I'm not entirely sure how smart whales are IRL, but perhaps the little ones you said sometimes swim around the island ones recognize it as one of them that has cheated death, and so they're following it to either try to figure out how it did it or, if they're REALLY smart, they're hoping some of the island whale's plant life will drop seeds that the little ones can catch. You could maintain the exceptionally low frequency of island whales because unless the seeds the little ones catch are the smallest of grasses, their smaller size wont be able to handle the root system. For instance, if they manage to catch a tree seed when they're that size the tree roots will be more parasitic than symbiotic and will overpower and kill them.

It's a symbiotic, unnatural relationship, in which the whale's skin can somehow filter the seawater and provide the plants with fresh water, while the plants provide them with continued oxygen from their photosynthesis after their lungs give out. This idea would not allow them to submerge post-lung collapse (perhaps the old lung cavity is where all the roots are burrowing into them) or their gardens would die from the salt water exposure and lack of sunlight and the whales would suffocate.

There's just a few ideas for you to play with and mix and match. Hope it helps!
I am nowhere. I am everywhere. I am the watcher unseen

"Speech" | Thoughts | "Other Peoples' Speech"
Thundiirn
Seeking New Realities

Words: 62034
Joined roleplay: November 21st, 2012, 4:43 am
Blog: View Blog (2)
Race: Human
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Tsukiko on February 18th, 2013, 12:06 am

Thank you Thundiirn,

I really like your idea for this, it is quite interesting. :)
I like the concept, but I'm kind of wondering how the roots would provide oxygen, since roots actually need oxygen to help with the plant's growth, ...
It's a good idea though ^^ I shall indeed play with these ideas! :D

Rather than smart, I think it would be more like an instinct, since whales are generally live in pods.

I'm sorry to say that it looks like this won't go through, since there are too many issues with how it would sustain itself, the ecosystem, and how it is too similar to some mythology...

I am sincerely grateful for those who tried to help with this, and am extremely sorry for taking your time,
-Tsukiko
Credits to Shausha
Tsukiko

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Cascade on February 18th, 2013, 5:40 am

Thanks for the fantastic brainstorming on the whale. Don't apologize for taking anyone's time just because it didn't push through -- it happens to the best of us. ;)
Cascade
The Demi-Goddess

Words: 182001
Joined roleplay: April 1st, 2012, 3:07 am
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 2
Featured Contributor (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Gossamer on February 18th, 2013, 6:10 am

Its always nice to find a cool picture you want to fit into the world of Mizahar. But don't let artists dictate what you want to do creatively. We have a ton of artists here on Mizahar that can do amazing things given enough time and energy. I think its more important to come up with original ideas and find images to suit them - though ideas are far more important than images - than try to use images and then write ideas to make them work.

We really want to push originality here. Sure, not everything is original here, but we really try to add content that IS. But the key - and this is by far the most important thing to me - is that you aren't duplicating popular mythos and that you are making things as realistic as possible even though this is a fantasy game.

BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6357243
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

PreviousNext