Tsukiko Developmental Ideas~

Some development ideas that I'm tossing around. Opinions are encouraged! :D

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This is the development forum for the Suvan Sea. The Suvan is a place of great adventure and undiscovered wonders, and far below where the air touches is a place where those things are being defined. Everything is worked on down in the deep, and anyone is welcome to join. Join us as we collaborate!

Postby Tsukiko on January 27th, 2013, 4:00 pm

I thought I'd borrow Cephei's idea, since it's such a good one ;) and make my own thread for developmental ideas. ^^

Anyways, Cascade, you asked about why the Erihpas/Hara has it down as two names, and why it is also written as two different sizes.
For the names, I though that it could be a dialect thing (not sure if that could work :P), and the sizes are like that because I imagine that in the South, there would be more of a food selection.

As for the Lonely Island one, it was mostly off the top of my head... I'll edit in the reactions it might have towards humans, but I'm starting to wonder if I should make it into a subspecies, or just make it 100-120 and write that only maybe 1-2 have the island...? What I think I was trying to say when I wrote "younger members of their species" are that there are actually many of these whales, it's just the ones that have been living for centuries are the ones that appear to have Islands on their backs... and that the younger members of the species rarely live to that age, but when they do, they tend to have a long lifespan....

I hope that made any sense ^^'
Here are the original Profile things for both of these. I'm hoping to edit them soon, and yes, I'm willing to put it through World Development, though I think it might be a good idea to get some of the kinks out first. :P

Name: Erihpas (In the South), Hara (In the Middle)
Frequency: Approx. 60-130
Threat level: Low

Temperament:
These creatures are generally quite complacent and tame, rarely attacking boats or people. The only times that have been recorded of any attacks has been either in defense, desperation out of starvation, or the rare occasion one becomes mad.

Abilities: They are able to move at high speeds, with a great amount of agility. They also have the ability to survive on land for a short time.

Most common in:
Southern and Middle sea

Physical characteristics: Their bodies are generally a mixed pattern of silver or white, and black and blues. Though this species is generally grows to about 3-4 feet, there have been accounts of Hara growing to about six feet in length, and Erihpas to about seven or eight feet. Long feather-like fins stretch out to, on average, two feet in length, displaying varied hues of blue. No two ever have the exact same coloring or pattern.

Social Structure:
The Erihpas, or Hara, do are not usually seen in groups, though they will gather at times when food is scarce.

Miscellaneous: Their diet mainly consists of small fish and plants, though they are able to digest creatures much larger than they are.
History: Not much is known about them, though there have been whispers of magic.

Name: The Lonely Island
Frequency: 1-2
Abilities: Is able to sustain life on it's body, and possess a large life span.
Most common in: Middle Suvan

Physical characteristics: It is a large, grey whale, the size of a small island.

Social Structure: In fact, there are actually more of these whales then described, however, they appear as an average whale. The select few that are classified as "The Lonely Island" are the few that survive for centuries, carrying what seems to be an Island on their backs.
These creatures will often travel on their own, however, they have been seen with small pods of younger members of their species.

History: These creatures are rare, and often mistaken for "mysterious islands", or "islands that disappear". Not much is known about them, and because of their rarity, they will most likely remain a mystery for generations to come.
Credits to Shausha
Tsukiko
Sings both night & noon, dreaming of the moon

Words: 123880
Joined roleplay: January 10th, 2013, 1:15 am
Blog: View Blog (6)
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Cascade on January 27th, 2013, 4:16 pm

Eriphas/Hara - Ohhh! Well, the languages spoken throughout the Suvan Sea is Fratava and Common, so the dialect idea might not fit too well. What I suggest is to choose the one name you like the most... OR you can say that the locals of the sea call it by a certain name (either of the two), but I don't think it would be much different in the South or Middle. I think the write-up's pretty much good to go, but just out of curiosity, would they be edible? Or would there be something rare about them and valuable to sell, like their skins, or eggs, or etc? :D

Lonely Island - Yep, that makes sense, you could say that only 1-2 have the island and are massive in size. Makes them more rare and WHOA to witness. Perhaps the younger ones don't make it any older for some reason? :) Anyway, I'm really glad you're willing to put them through world development. I personally would be excited to RP with them in a thread.
Cascade
The Demi-Goddess

Words: 182001
Joined roleplay: April 1st, 2012, 3:07 am
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 2
Featured Contributor (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Tsukiko on January 27th, 2013, 5:34 pm

Hmm... Hara I guess?
As for the value aspect to them, I guess we could make them edible, though maybe a certain part of them is not (perhaps the fins?).
As we talked about, they could have a morphing ability that allows them to blend in with their surroundings, which is a curiosity for many, which is why there are people who are interested in their magical properties... but no one has yet discovered the small gem-like orb in their heart (about the size of a small nut or a seed). I was thinking that their eggs could be sold on the market because of this.

(just trying to figure out how to word this :3)

As for the Lonely Island whales... the younger members could be over poached because they are edible, and very tasty? :P
(I am not sure about the above idea... I'll have to read up on some lore to see what might make sense...)
I welcome any suggestions about this with open arms (and a hug ;))
Credits to Shausha
Tsukiko

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Tsukiko on January 31st, 2013, 12:36 am

Finished! If there is anything that you'd like me to add, please let me know! :D

Name: Hara
Frequency: Approx. 60-130

Temperament:
These creatures are generally quite complacent and tame, rarely attacking boats or people. The only times that have been recorded of any attacks has been either in defense, desperation out of starvation, or the rare occasion one becomes mad.

Abilities: They are able to move at high speeds, with a great amount of agility, and are able to live on land for short periods of time.
The Hara also have a morphing ability, which allows them to blend into their surroundings. This has become a curiosity to many, though they have yet to discover the gem-like orb, the size of a small nut or seed, held within their hearts.

Most common in:
Southern and Middle sea

Physical characteristics: Their bodies are generally a mixed pattern of silver or white, and black and blues. Though this species is generally grows to about 3-4 feet, there have been accounts of Hara growing to about six feet in length in the Middle Sea, and to about seven or eight feet in the North. Long feather-like fins stretch out to, on average, two feet in length, displaying varied hues of blue. No two ever have the exact same coloring or pattern.

Social Structure:
Hara, do are not usually seen in groups, though they will gather at times when food is scarce.

Miscellaneous: Their diet mainly consists of small fish and plants, though they are able to digest creatures much larger than they are.
Besides their fins, the Hara are edible, if a person is lucky enough to catch one.

History: Not much is known about them, though there have been whispers of magic.

Name: The Lonely Island
Frequency: 1-3
Abilities: Is able to sustain life on it's body, and possess a large life span.
Most common in: Middle and Northern Suvan

Physical characteristics:
It is a large, grey whale, the size of a small island.

Social Structure:
The Lonely Island is in fact a subspecies of whale. The select few that are classified as "The Lonely Island" are the few that survive for centuries, carrying what seems to be an Island on their backs.
The younger members of their species do not usually survive to the age where they are classified, since in their younger years, they are edible, and have quite a wonderful flavor, so they are sought after by a variety of predators. These creatures will often travel on their own, however, they have been seen with small pods of younger whales.

History:
These creatures are rare, and often mistaken for "mysterious islands", or "islands that disappear". There have been a few accounts of encounters, though they are quite old, passed down from generation to generation. It is said that on their backs, there are trees, as tall as those on land, and that even birds nest on it. There have been a small variety of descriptions, some of trees like those of a pine forest, to one of a forest of what seemed to be giant kelp. From the accounts, it seems that these whales do not mind other creatures venturing onto their backs.
Not much is known about them, and because of their rarity, they will most likely remain a mystery for generations to come.

Code: Select all
[frame=black][img2=left]http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-VTRIS4Phto4/UQM339AUWzI/AAAAAAAAAHM/710HfX0VuB4/s320/Glaucus+Atlanticus.jpg[/img2]
[b]Name:[/b] Hara
[b]Frequency:[/b] Approx. 60-130
[b]Threat level:[/b] Low
[b]
Temperament:[/b] These creatures are generally quite complacent and tame, rarely attacking boats or people. The only times that have been recorded of any attacks has been either in defense, desperation out of starvation, or the rare occasion one becomes mad.   

[b]Abilities:[/b] They are able to move at high speeds, with a great amount of agility, and are able to live on land for short periods of time.
The Hara also have a morphing ability, which allows them to blend into their surroundings. This has become a curiosity to many, though they have yet to discover the gem-like orb, the size of a small nut or seed, held within their hearts.
[b]
Most common in:[/b] Southern and Middle sea

[b]Physical characteristics:[/b] Their bodies are generally a mixed pattern of silver or white, and black and blues. Though this species is generally grows to about 3-4 feet, there have been accounts of Hara growing to about six feet in length in the Middle Sea, and to about seven or eight feet in the North. Long feather-like fins stretch out to, on average, two feet in length, displaying varied hues of blue. No two ever have the exact same coloring or pattern.
[b]
Social Structure:[/b]Hara, do are not usually seen in groups, though they will gather at times when food is scarce.

[b]Miscellaneous:[/b] Their diet mainly consists of small fish and plants, though they are able to digest creatures much larger than they are.
Besides their fins, the Hara are edible, if a person is lucky enough to catch one.

[b]History:[/b] Not much is known about them, though there have been whispers of magic.[/frame]

[frame=black][img2=left]http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-ne6wGp4nazk/UQNC0XCMeGI/AAAAAAAAAHs/lMj0EjzQE04/s1600/The+Lonely+Island+-+Suvan+Sea.jpg[/img2]

[b]Name: [/b]The Lonely Island
[b]Frequency:[/b] 1-3
[b]Threat level:[/b] Low
[b]Abilities:[/b] Is able to sustain life on it's body, and possess a large life span.
[b]Most common in:[/b] Middle and Northern Suvan
[b]
Physical characteristics:[/b] It is a large, grey whale, the size of a small island.
[b]
Social Structure:[/b] The Lonely Island is in fact a subspecies of whale. The select few that are classified as "The Lonely Island" are the few that survive for centuries, carrying what seems to be an Island on their backs.
The younger members of their species do not usually survive to the age where they are classified, since in their younger years, they are edible, and have quite a wonderful flavor, so they are sought after by a variety of predators. These creatures will often travel on their own, however, they have been seen with small pods of younger whales.
[b]
History:[/b] These creatures are rare, and often mistaken for "mysterious islands", or "islands that disappear". There have been a few accounts of encounters, though they are quite old, passed down from generation to generation. It is said that on their backs, there are trees, as tall as those on land, and that even birds nest on it. There have been a small variety of descriptions, some of trees like those of a pine forest, to one of a forest of what seemed to be giant kelp. From these accounts, it seems that these whales do not mind other creatures venturing onto their backs.
Not much is known about them, and because of their rarity, they will most likely remain a mystery for generations to come.[/frame]
Credits to Shausha
Tsukiko

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Tsukiko on January 31st, 2013, 9:27 am

Woot! NPC time....
Works in progress....

Name:Pinn Oceangem
Race: Svefra
Description: The brother of Ardein, he has a very open, and carefree disposition. He is also a bit flirtatious, which sometimes gets him into trouble. He is slightly taller than his brother by a few inches, his hair is cut just at the base of his neck, playful blue eyes, and an infectious grin. Despite his appearance, he is skilled with twin Kama blades, and enjoys a challenging opponent. His name is taken from Pinniped, which is another name for seal.
Gnosis: 1 Mark of Laviku
Skills:

Name: Ceta Oceangem
Description: Granddaughter to the Lia of the Oceangem Pod, Ceta is of a kind, caring, and motherly nature. She cares deeply for her family, and immediately distrusts outsiders if they show the slightest harmful intentions towards them. Her name was derived from Cetacea for it's relevance to whales.
Gnosis:
Skills:

Name: Cea Oceangem
Description: She is an adventurous soul, who enjoys wandering off and exploring. Cea can be often found swimming with marine life of all kinds, or examining a new discovery. She is friendly, but discreet about personal matters. She stands about Half sister to Ceta, Cea's name is also derived from Cetacea.
Gnosis:
Skills: (including levels)
Last edited by Tsukiko on February 4th, 2013, 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Credits to Shausha
Tsukiko

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Cascade on January 31st, 2013, 1:53 pm

I added the Haras to the master list! Yay!

NPCs look good as well. WIPs, but it's nice to see that you know where you're going. :)
Cascade
The Demi-Goddess

Words: 182001
Joined roleplay: April 1st, 2012, 3:07 am
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 2
Featured Contributor (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Crypt on January 31st, 2013, 2:09 pm

My god, the Lonely Island is a wonderful idea. If you need any help on that, maybe something you're stuck on, just PM me or find me in the Chatbox!

A possible explanation for why they are rare - like dire animals, the whales are humongous in size, requiring a massive amount of food just to sustain itself. But with this explanation comes a few problems. The Suvan Sea is but a sea. It's not as large as the Outer Ocean. I understand that the small number of such whales would possibly prevent a seafood shortage, but a whale the size of a small island? You'd have to make it quite rare. Alternatively, if the Suvan Sea contains enough food to sustain both the whales and other beings on and in the Suvan Sea, I suppose that'd be alright then.

And how does the whale survive? For a self-sustaining island ecosystem to develop on the back of the whale, the whale must be firstly quite old and secondly, it cannot dive underwater. As such, it would be limited to gaining food on or near the surface of the water. Unless there exists a regular occurrence of an immense number of prey organisms near the surface such that the whale can feed on them, the whale would not be able to survive.

Done by the one and only Assilsa Curare!

8200th member. :)

NOTE: I will be on holiday from the 9th to the 25th, so don't expect me to post anything! Apologies.
Crypt
Apophenia.

Words: 329416
Joined roleplay: September 20th, 2012, 4:58 am
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

Postby Tsukiko on January 31st, 2013, 7:51 pm

*jumps for joy* Yes! :D

Their coming along slowly... Trying to come up with backgrounds that fit and personalitiea to match as well as skills... ^^

Thank you Crypt for pointing that out! It would be great to get some help with this, especially since it started off as a random idea :P

For why it would be unable to dive, a simple matter of it's mass. Since it is so large, it would be difficult for it to reach much depth...
Though as you say, it would be a wonder if it could survive only near the surface... I wonder if it would make it so that this whale does dive once in awhile, however, I was thinking that the whale would not be moving much (since that would attract a lot of attention), maybe even in a sort of coma, something like hibernation(possible one of the reasons they can survive for so long...)
Credits to Shausha
Tsukiko

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Anchor on January 31st, 2013, 8:01 pm

Perhaps the ecosystem on its back is unique exclusively to these creatures? Maybe the 'roots' or whatever substitutes them are entwined with depressions on its back, meaning they're sort of latched on for when it moves. That means no sand or dirt as that would come loose and fall off, but the actual forest and plants would remain.
Will be gone for a couple days, grades need lifting

The Suvan Sea

The Suvan Sea *** Fierce Currents OOC *** Current Events

Black Rock
(Temporary Responsibility)
Black Rock *** Morbid Musings OOC *** Domain Lore
Anchor
Come diving with me

Words: 155953
Joined roleplay: November 14th, 2012, 4:21 am
Office
Medals: 1
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Nai'a on January 31st, 2013, 9:58 pm

The Hara are actually really interesting creatures in RL. They are referred to in RL as the blue dragon at times, and contains poison they inject into their predator/prey.

I love the whale idea, it is a great idea!

Just make sure that you got the artist/owner's permission on the pictures, so that way you are not breaking their copy right rules.

Love the ideas though!
Due to college I will not be as active as I was. Sorry, but do not give up on me :)! I will reply ASAP
Nai'a
Healing is the art of caring.

Words: 184578
Joined roleplay: December 31st, 2012, 6:37 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Next