OOC Info Still Waters Run Deep

Feel free to post any and all OOC chatter for Kenash and Cyphrus here!

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This lazy agricultural settlement rests on the swampy shores of the Middle Suvan at the delta of The Kenash River. The River's slow moving bayou waters have bred a different sort of people - rugged, cultured, and somewhat violent. Sprawling plantations of tobacco and cotton grow on the outskirts of the swamp in the rich Cyphrus soils, while the city itself curls around the bayou and spawns decadence and sins of all sorts. Life is slower in Kenash, but the lack of pace is made up for in the excesses of food and flesh in a city where drinking, debauchery, gambling, slavery, and overbearing plantation families dominate the landscape.

Moderator: Gossamer

Still Waters Run Deep

Postby Cocoon on February 8th, 2016, 11:26 am

Just wanted to pop in and let you know that the spring calendar, challenges and every seasonal change is already completed.

Kenash is a city built by its players, and that is something I want to enforce as it is quite beautiful. As you may have seen, most of the Kenash Codex' picturesque locations were crafted by players, and it is them the ones to give life to this wonderful city of ours.

I wanted to enforce that by giving players a chance to promote events by adding them to the seasonal calendar. I know its a little early to have things like that, but the offer will still stand during the spring. So if your business has a special promotion, if your characters embark on an epic journey full of pain, or you simply feel like meeting new people, drop me a PM with an idea (or a started thread all the way in spring) and I will add it to our lovely calendar for everyone to see.

Other than that, there isn't much more to say. The Rujaro have been a bit hard, but I am proud to say that most of the brainstorming has been done and the ideas are coming along nicely thanks to all the help from my fellow moderators. Expect it in a couple of days in the announcement thread.

We're really looking forward to seeing what sort of trouble you guys are going to cause in Kenash this spring. See you then, wicked!
Cocoon
Coconuts & Cocoa.

Words: 97446
Joined roleplay: January 15th, 2016, 12:33 am
Race: Staff account
Office

Still Waters Run Deep

Postby Haeli on February 21st, 2016, 6:15 pm

Its disturbing to me that our lovely swamp wilderness is empty and devoid of locations with the city opening next season. I've taken it upon myself to gather some images for location ideas and post them in my plotnotes. I plan to have my pc heavily out in the swamp even though she's an herbalist who makes candles and incense with her own business in Kenash proper.

http://www.mizahar.com/forums/post477808.html#p477808

I'd welcome any comments on locations and certainly I hope others will take it upon themselves to think of some locations for Kenash. I will start posting these when I get time as full writeups in the development forum.
Haeli
The stars in the sky have all the answers.

Words: 366819
Joined roleplay: July 2nd, 2010, 9:33 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Trailblazer (1) Donor (1)

Still Waters Run Deep

Postby Adrian Morealis on February 21st, 2016, 6:18 pm

Are you writing up all those locations by yourself?
Adrian Morealis
Player

Words: 7381
Joined roleplay: August 7th, 2015, 10:49 pm
Character sheet
Plotnotes

Still Waters Run Deep

Postby Haeli on February 21st, 2016, 6:23 pm

Sure, why not? I wrote a ton of Lhavit's locations while I was there. Sadly, my name isn't given credit for them after the flurry of reposts and retired STs but I still did them while I was there. :)

I won't get them done all at once, but I can kick them out steady enough to try and get the forum a little more fleshed out. It's my hope others might catch the development bug and add some of their own in.
Haeli

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Still Waters Run Deep

Postby Adrian Morealis on February 21st, 2016, 6:30 pm

I see a lot of pre-Val locations. That sounds like a really interesting story concept, since the Dynasties are all post-Valterrian developments to the best of my knowledge. Maybe the swamp wilds could be like an archeologist's paradise, except for all the mortal danger and the Dynasties not caring and the Rujaro trying to kill everyone. Except for that.

For real, though, I'd love to help out with more locations. After all, the majority of the locations slots in the actual city aren't even filled yet. To the drafting board!
Adrian Morealis
Player

Words: 7381
Joined roleplay: August 7th, 2015, 10:49 pm
Character sheet
Plotnotes

Still Waters Run Deep

Postby Gossamer on February 21st, 2016, 6:51 pm

Just so everyone knows (since I've heard this a few times about Kenash having a ton of location spots empty) I did that on purpose when I created Kenash's map due to the nature of Kenash. Dynasty members are REQUIRED to own a business and with generations of players over the course of years wanting maps with exact locations of streets, buildings, bridges etc.... I added a ton of space for the player businesses that will come. Kenash is a city that NEEDS to expand and have open slots. Even Riverfall has a ton of unnamed businesses for that purpose as well.
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6357243
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Still Waters Run Deep

Postby Sayana on February 21st, 2016, 6:53 pm

Hey, just poking my head in.

I love the variety of locations you have Haeli and the images really invoke the mood of Kenash (even with my limited knowledge of the city). There's a lot of pre-Valterrian locations in your list, which surprises me since Kenash is right next to the Suvan sea which was a byproduct of the land being ripped open and a great sea gushing in to fill what would have presumably have been an enormous gaping gorge. I know I haven't seen many other pre-Valterrian locations in cities like Syliras or Alvadas that are also next to the Suvan. In cities like Sunberth, it makes more sense that certain locations might have survived the catastrophe that was the Valterrian because Sunberth is so far away from the central point of the wreckage.

I've noticed that often people tended to hide in caves or holes in the ground in the immediate aftermath of the Valterrian. For example, Xy was built on a 'hidey-hole' where the zith were ultimately formed, and Alvadas has its own 'hidey-hole' where the ancestors of the Alvads were camped out during the destruction. Deep holes in the ground make sense to have survived, even fairly close to the center of the destruction, so maybe some of the pre-Valterrian Kenash locations need to take that into account.

Anyways, just some food for thought and things to consider. I can't wait to see some of your locations written up since they seem to have great roleplaying potential.
Sayana
Dancing in the rain...

Words: 1543550
Joined roleplay: September 22nd, 2014, 12:38 am
Race: Eypharian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Peer Reviewer (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Syliras Seasonal Challenge (1) Alvadas Seasonal Challenge (1)

Still Waters Run Deep

Postby Haeli on February 21st, 2016, 6:58 pm

Its a little hard to make underground locations in a swamp. They all tend to be flooded by the high water table around Kenash. Maybe out further in the Sea of Grass something like that would work and does because there's a lot of caves around.

The Sea of Grass is supposed to be full of prevalterrian ruins, some of which weren't actually originally located there but surfed in on big tidal waves of land moving around. I figured the same would be true of Kenash. But if not, then its easy to make them pre-city ruins or old mossy buildings that have just been abandoned. I just like a sense of older history, fortresses that shouldn't be where they are even if there's nothing left of them but arches because the topography is all gone etc.
Haeli

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Still Waters Run Deep

Postby Sayana on February 21st, 2016, 7:12 pm

Oh yeah, that sounds like an incredibly cool idea about ruins moving along with the changing land. But I'm just doing a reality check that if the land itself is getting torn up, then the buildings built upon the land are likely faring a lot worse.

What if some of the swamp ruins are actually buried within the swamp? Like sunk down? Maybe you can only access it if you uncover the dirt/muck or swim near the bottom of the murky waters?

I'm sure you'll come up with something awesome, but I just wanted to check that the physical immense destruction of the Valterrian was being accounted for.
Sayana
Dancing in the rain...

Words: 1543550
Joined roleplay: September 22nd, 2014, 12:38 am
Race: Eypharian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Peer Reviewer (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Syliras Seasonal Challenge (1) Alvadas Seasonal Challenge (1)

Still Waters Run Deep

Postby Haeli on February 21st, 2016, 8:18 pm

Good ideas Sayana. Maybe you should make some locations too.

And thanks for the assistance. I'm sure I won't be approved if I'm wrong about the ruins. I can change and adapt as needed.
Haeli

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

PreviousNext