Completed [The Rearing Stallion] Hey, It's My Birthday (Razkar)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

[The Rearing Stallion] Hey, It's My Birthday (Razkar)

Postby Edreina on May 22nd, 2013, 3:14 pm

80th of Spring, 513 AV
20th Bell
The Rearing Stallion, Syliras

It seemed as if no matter how long she spent in Syliras, she would never be able to find her way around. That is why, after a day of lounging in the sun and swimming a short way from the docks, Edreina had decided upon visiting one of the few places whose location she actually knew: The Rearing Stallion.

It had taken a fair part of the evening to get there with all of her wrong turns and distractions along the way. Relief danced through her when she saw the familiar sign. Upon entry, it was almost as if she had been transported back in time. The tavern's interior was completely the same and Edreina half-expected a dark haired man with gemstone eyes to saunter over and lead her to the bar.

But she was alone, tonight. Looking about with darting eyes, Edreina took in the night's crowd as she made her way over to an empty table. That would be the night's purpose. To watch a Syliran crowd and get an idea of the people as a whole. To find out how greatly they varied from the people she had left behind in the sea. Reclining back slightly with her crossed arms resting upon her cinched waist, Edreina ordered a water from the working bar maiden. She was not given too much attention, though, not being a man who could be persuaded into giving a better tip by flirtatious looks and exposed flesh.

How different she was now, Edreina realized. Last time she had been a budding woman of only 18 years, dressed in ill fitting men's breeches and a rather unflattering woman's shirt. Now, she could pass for a woman from another town, at the very least. Her fiery hair was tamed into a long braid that coiled over one of her shoulders, brightly contrasting her off-white blouse and royal blue skirt. It was kept in place by a little yellow bandanna, tied about the end of the plait as it rested atop her breast. As always though, the red hair attempted to rebel with little fly away strands and bangs that simply would not merge with its counterparts. Her freckled face and wide cerulean eyes were, however, unmarked by makeup as many of the local women seemed to fancy. No. Edreina was still utterly plain, preferring her natural looks to those created by hours in front of a mirror.

As she sat there, watching the other men and women in the tavern, the Svefra did not notice a familiar entry. She was far too preoccupied comparing who and what she knew to what she was seeing in the throbbing mass of dancing forms before her.
Edreina
Unbound

Words: 1079180
Joined roleplay: March 18th, 2013, 1:40 am
Race: Human, Svefra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Lore Author (1) Artist (1)
Overlored (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Razkar on May 22nd, 2013, 5:16 pm

The Rearing Stallion was much more... polished, than the Blue Bull, Razkar did observe that much. It had been recommended to him by one of his new acquaintances at the Fighter's Pits and after a long afternoon alternately training, teaching and getting his profile circulating around the Syliras rumor mill, the Myrian decided this vital node in the culture of the Knight's City would be a good place to go.

He had hard-won money to spend, after all, and a few celebratory ales weren't going to harm him.

The blast of noise and music when he opened the door was familiar, though. Same in taverns the world over, he supposed. From outside he could hear the muted laughter and roars, occasional chinks of grass and metal, pipes and string instruments pounding away. Then the sounds were increased tenfold when he pushed open the sturdy oak door, and the smells hit him like a fist.

Sweat and spilled beer. Spices and perfumes that mingled together and assailed his nostrils in on overpowering bloom of sensation. Smoke - some he recognized - that hung in the air and gratefully escaped into the waning day as it turned to night.

Humans populated the Stallion, and already it was filling fast. Many turned to him when he entered, most doing a double-take when what was probably the most exotic beast they'd seen all week strode through the door. Still clad only in his breeches, weapon harness and cloak, Razkar had to admit, he cut a fearsome figure. Tattoos and scar tissue covered most of his skin, including his face, and when he walked it was the confident yet measured gait of a predator.

Myrian from toe to tip, as his mother would say.

Determined not to be cowed by the sudden attention, he walked purposefully towards the first promising little cubby he spotted, a corner booth where he could observe the throng of humanity. Some faces turned and lips muttered when he passed. He strained his ears...

"The one I told you about? Knocked seven shades outta that boy-"

"Don't know where, but I know the Knights will be-"

"Yeah, our Nathan's son told us about him, down at the Pits-"

"Where did that fifth ace come from?!"

Razkar knew that his appearance here would be talked of, too. Not because he was some hero or villain... though many would undoubtedly and instinctively classify a Child of Myri as the latter. No, it was because he was strange and new, and had already proved himself in what he was hearing was one of the most notorious training yards in the city.

Good, he thought with satisfaction, reaching the bar and rapping his knuckles politely but firmly, let the word spread. Another day or two, and the time will be ripe.

One of the maidens behind the counter - a homely-looking girl with a sharp nose and freckles that reminded him of someone - wandered over and he was impressed at her lack of fear. Wiping her hands on her apron she jutted her chin towards him, the universal unspoken question for "what're ya havin'?"

"Mug of ale, please-"

A flash to his right. Something familiar about the way it rippled, and as he turned he knew it was hair-

Red hair. Bound in a yellow bandanna, and sitting all alone...

"... no, two mug, please."

"Right-o..."

The frothy and potent brew was poured into two steins and a quartet of silver coins was handed over in return. Razkar nodded his thanks and took off towards the end booth, holding the two mugs in one hand out of habit. Never knew when you might need one free, after all.

It was a quick journey, winding around tables and knots of drinking, talking, laughing humans. Once or twice they actually parted for him, and if afraid or in awe. The Myrian simply nodded, neither smiling nor glowering. At the end of the bar a trio of men in matching uniforms daubed with sigils he recognized scrutinized him as if he were a future enemy.

Knights, he thought, recognizing those symbols on the armor of the massive Akalak he had dueled in Riverfall, another little bonus. Now they'll have placed their eyes on the mysterious Myrian, too...

As he got closer he thought he may have gotten the wrong girl, but as more of her became clear, Razkar knew he was right and a slow smile spread across his face. The lack of clothing was a hint, but what little she wore was obviously new on her.

Used to next-to-nothing in terms of garments, the Svefra was breaking in her purchases.

Edreina turned swiftly, eyes wide with surprise as a tall, tanned figure slid adroitly into the seat opposite her and placed a foaming stein in front of her with a grin.

"So, mistress," Razkar said as he raised his own drink in salute, enjoying her pleasured surprise, "What you think of big city?"
My Words | Your Words | Myrian | Fratavan | My Thoughts
Razkar has been cursed by Yahal, and as such finds little acceptance from others; they will instinctively view him as being deceptive and traitorous. However, when close to one blessed by Yahal, the effect is negated. The curse is etched onto his left pectoral, and viewing the mark causes others to feel dirty and unclean.
Razkar
War Is The Answer

Words: 2242619
Joined roleplay: October 8th, 2012, 12:04 am
Race: Myrian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 9
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (2)
Trailblazer (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Edreina on May 22nd, 2013, 8:36 pm

A sound and shadow from her side caused Edreina to turn sharply in surprise, not having expected anyone to approach her. When it turned out that the approaching stranger was Razkar, her surprise became more mild and she smiled slightly, with only one corner of her lips. It was hard for her not to show how much his appearance pleased her.

"So, mistress... What you think of big city?"

Edreina pulled the mug closer so that she could toy with it with her nimble fingers, spinning and pushing and sliding it about. "Big city is certainly... big." Edreina smiled lamely down at her stein, teeth finding purchase on her lower lip. "And what about the savage? How is he liking the big city?" Edreina grinned up at him, toying with his own descriptions despite the fact that she now saw him as anything but a savage. He had more class and culture than many of the men upon the Anchorage.

All around, there were whispers about which Edreina was not aware as she rested her elbows on the table, leaning in a little closer so conversation would not be so strained. They whispered of curiosity, confusion, and even trepidation. What was the Myrian doing talking to an innocent looking woman? Better yet, why did every nod and smile of the red haired lass suggest that she was friends - perhaps more? - with the savage? Already rumors were beginning to be spun between drunken friends. It was unlikely that a friendly Myrian was a common sight to them. Some men who had planned on approaching the red head had their hopes dashed. They would not encroach on a Myrian's territory.

Edreina took her first small sip of ale, still not too keen on the taste but too kind to tell her generous friend that. "What have you been up to since we docked?" Of course his answer was far more interesting than anything Edreina had to say so when he inevitably returned the question, she shrugged mysteriously and said, "This and that," over the lip of her mug as she took another sip, happy to have something to do other than fiddle with her fingers.

It was warm in the tavern and already Edreina was missing her "skimpy" normal attire. She fidgeted with the sleeves, pushing them up past her elbow and loosening the lacing ever so slightly about the neck of her blouse. Glancing down, she blushed slightly and righted her posture so that those directly in front of her had a less scenic view. Gods! This damned corset makes them look enormous! ... Not that I mind... She blushed and grinned to herself as she took another drink.
Edreina
Unbound

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Razkar on May 22nd, 2013, 9:21 pm

"Big city is certainly... big."

Razkar couldn't help himself, talking over the rim of his mug as he raised it to his lips. "Clue is in name, Edri."

"And what about the savage? How is he liking the big city?"

Well, he kind of had that coming, didn't he? He didn't exactly shrug; not with his shoulders, anyway. His head tilted to one side, his eyebrows popped and he grimaced briefly, casting a quick eye around the tavern. His smile stayed in place as he saw the whispering faces turn away hurriedly, eyes averting from what they assumed was the savage's woman.

Oh, if you only knew... and you won't.

"It is not Taloba, I say much. Everything is... closer. Buildings biger but everything... squashed. Smells worse." She cocked an eyebrow and his lips twisted. "What? Is true! Taloa very clean city. Once Tskanna shit is clean, it is..."

"What have you been up to since we docked?"

"I have been making name." He said with a sly smile, and only then did she noticed the livid scar running horizontal on his chest. The gashes on his shoulder were covered by his cloak, and oddly enough, he kept them that way. No cause to worry her further. As her eyes widened he held up a hand, swallowing a mouthful of ale. "Not need to worry, Edri. Went to place where fighter's go. Fight and train and make sure my name is know. People talk in big city. Once name go around, people ask about me work for them. Be good..."

Yes. Yes, it would be good. But it would probably mean that he would be leaving, and leaving for Zeltiva, if he had a say in it. And why? To find his Aya...

And yet you sit here talking and, yes, flirting with this barbarian. Priotities, boy. Keep it civil.

"You?"

"This and that."

Now Razkar quirked an eyebrow at her enigmatic tone, wondering exactly what this slip of a girl who'd barely been away from the Flotilla could have got up to. But she wasn't a girl, was she? She certainly had a brain in her head and a fair degree of cunning, if she'd but use it. His fingers drummed a tattoo on the table as he took another sip, studying the stein as he smacked his lips.

"Not as good as ale back home." He snorted at himself. "But all say that, yes? Must bring you Lethshine one day. Very strong. Made under moon from palm leaves." He mock grunted and clutched his head. "One sip and drunk. Two sip and see stars. Three sip and talk to gods..."

Obviously the atmosphere was getting to his friend, for when he glanced up he found her loosening her clothes in... oh...

Razkar quicky averted his eyes as more of her torso was revealed than she'd obviously intended. A couple of dark-haired humans at the next table were not so discreet, however, all but leering at the cleavage on display.

The Myrian fixed them with an ice-cold glare, and all they saw in his black eyes was their own, worried reflections. Suddenly the contents of their mugs became truly fascinating and Razkar grunted in satisfaction.

Satisfaction? Why? Is she your female?

He cleared his throat and put his sly smile back on, flicking a glance down at her chest even as she blushed furiously.

"Not make face red, Edri," he said, voice a mockery of a soothing tone, "Is much improvement..."

He chuckled at the glare he got in return but when she opened her mouth to throw back a barb, that same waitress was at their table, rough notepad in her hands. She smiled at them both (perhaps a little more genuinely at Edreina) and nodded.

"Anything to eat?"

"Yes!" Razkar said, patting his flat stomach and smiling. "Am... famished? That is word? What is dinner today? Oh, and what is name?"

"Oh..." she seemed stunned that the Myrian could even put a full sentence together, but rallied magnificently. If she could handle drunken Knights, one savage was a breeze, he supposed. "Carol. And, ah, the special is sirloin, from Nabato cattle. You know, from the Sea of Grass?"

"Yes, I know cattle. Have hunted them." He glanced at Edreina and winked. "Story for other day. I will have steak, with veg-ar-tables. And whatever my friend wants, I buy." Once again Edreina opened her mouth but his hand smacked down with a definite metallic edge to it. His palm moved away... and two gold mizas were there. "Should be enough for meal and ale, and something for you, yes?"

"I... I think so, yes." A savage with mizas! Wonders never cease... "And how would you like your steak?"

Razkar permitted himself one indulgence. He smiled wide... and Carol quailed just a little when she saw twin rows of filed teeth.

"Guess."

"... rare, then. And you, love?"

RecieptMeal and Drinks: 2gm
TOTAL: 2GM
Razkar has been cursed by Yahal, and as such finds little acceptance from others; they will instinctively view him as being deceptive and traitorous. However, when close to one blessed by Yahal, the effect is negated. The curse is etched onto his left pectoral, and viewing the mark causes others to feel dirty and unclean.
Razkar
War Is The Answer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Edreina on May 22nd, 2013, 10:38 pm

"Not make face red, Edri. Is much improvement..."

Edreina's jaw hit the table before she could rally herself for a retort. Gathering her wits and as much indignation as she could cram into her eyes despite the way her lips quirked upwards. It was only natural for her to be pleased by the object of her affection to show some notice of her figure. Maybe she should have undone it a bit more. A perfect response formed and just as she was about to deliver it, a waitress appeared.

As they exchanged words, Edreina could not help but admire the Myrian's toned stomach through her lashes. Stoooooop. With a nearly silent growl, she lifted her eyes to the woman, watching her obviously regain her wits after something Razkar had said sent her reeling. She had a simplistic form of beauty that Edreina appreciated.

"Yes, I know cattle. Have hunted them... Story for other day. I will have steak, with veg-ar-tables. And whatever my friend wants, I buy. Should be enough for meal and ale, and something for you, yes?"

Edreina found herself fighting a snort at Razkar's butchery of Common. But again she found herself glaring at him when he offered to buy him food. But, she quickly reconciled. She was poor after all. Why refuse a free meal. The two had another exchange which Edreina missed while lost in her own thoughts when she finally found herself drug back into the conversation by a kindly spoken question.

"And you, love?"

Oh! She must be talking about the food. "Same as him," she said somewhat shyly, realizing that she should have paid a bit better attention to the conversation.

The woman's eyebrow darted upwards into the flyaway bits of her hair. "You... want your steak rare?" Her pen hovered over the pad for a moment.

Edreina blushed brightly. On the Flotilla, beef in any form other than jerky was an utter rarity. Edreina had never personally had steak. What did rare mean? Gods she was literally a fish out of water. But, judging from what she knew about Razkar, it had to be the least cooked piece of meat possible. "Uh... One step up from rare?" She smiled somewhat unsurely.

The woman nodded and hustled off towards the kitchen, leaving the duo alone again in the crowd.

"Never had steak..." Edreina mumbled to herself, taking another sip and then stared down thoughtfully into her mug. It was one step forward on her agenda to try new things.

"So..." Edreina floundered under a possible avenue of conversation. "Are you liking Syliras? Or do you want to leave already?"
Edreina
Unbound

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Razkar on May 22nd, 2013, 10:55 pm

"Uh... One step up from rare?"

Razkar had to nonchalantly swipe a hand over his mouth to hide his smile, actually looking away for a moment. Oh, she was in for a surprise...

"Never had steak..."

He frowned as she mumbled the words and stared almost morosely into her stein. This was not the Svefra that he knew, and he didn't like seeing her so... un-Edri. With a light smile he reached over and patted her hand.

"You will like, I know. It is... not like fish. Meat is thick, more thick than fish, but, taste very strong. Full of iron. And flavor." Gods he couldn't resist it; he gripped one of his biceps and grinned, as if aware of her ridiculous he looked. "Make muscles big and strong!

A short laugh was his awful joke's result, but it did not last and finally the words came forth from her again, low and slow and... uncertain.

"So... Are you liking Syliras? Or do you want to leave already?"

Razkar looked down into his own ale, now half-empty, scratching behind his head and now he did shrug with his shoulders.

"Not... like. It is strong word. Place is... useful. Find what I need here. Make name and find job, head east..."

His eyes flickered up and he knew he had to speak before she caught onto his own hesitation. If she sensed that, she might have some glimmer of hope flare again within her, and Razkar couldn't allow that.

He couldn't be that cruel to her.

"One I love is there, I think," he said quietly, struggling to keep the guilt from his voice, "So, ah... I go find her." He rallied, forcing those brown eyes and golden skin from his mind and concentrating on more fun things. Well, fun for a Myrian, anyway. "But today? Was good day! After season spar with only Akalak and you, more people! And I find another Myrian! A female! In Syliras!"

He shook his head in genuine wonder, seeming to radiate the same awe as Edreina did at times, though his adult life had been soaked in blood, not sea water.

"Can you believe? I could not. And made other... well... not friends," he said carefully, remembering the array of personalities he had met with earlier. The human male with dark skin, arrogant and brash at first, cowed and bloody after. Sigrun, the petite blonde who took to swinging a cutlass like a corsair. Kaie, a fellow Child of Myri too long out the jungle. And Eridanus... the vantha, who defied most of Razkar's Common. "... but interesting people. Useful people."

Silence followed. Thoughts of leaving, finally voiced, and Razkar knew that much as she wanted to see the world, Edreina could not bare to be so far inland. Away from her sea, even a decent-sized river... he did not know if she'd be able to handle it. He opened his mouth, an idea in mind-

"Here ya go!"

Two plates were plonked down in front of them, steaming and sizzling with equal measure. Two thick strips of meat were in the center, a small mound of carrots and cabbage on either side. Razkar's meat was barely blackened, and thin red blood oozed out like the cow was still in the kitchen mooing. Edreina's was more cooked, with less blood, but still... blood.

"Rare and medium-rare. Enjoy!"

She bustled off and Razakr stared at his food with shameless hunger. Well... never was any good to scheme on an empty stomach. He took up his knife, ignoring the strange pronged object next to it. A fork, he'd heard it called, but who needed it when you had a good blade and teeth?

"Dig in." He said with relish, hacking off a chunk of scarlet-dripping meat and taking a bite. "Ah... good as I remember..."
Razkar
War Is The Answer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Edreina on May 22nd, 2013, 11:46 pm

"Not... like. It is strong word. Place is... useful. Find what I need here. Make name and find job, head east..."

Sounded like a solid plan to Edreina. She planned to do much the same but in a different direction. Probably not going to be in one another's company for much longer. Her eyes flickered up at the same time his did, forcing them to meet for an instant. A shame we won't be able to enjoy that time as I would like. A selfish thought, but a true one nonetheless.

"One I love is there, I think. So, ah... I go find her."

Edreina smiled a bright, genuine smile. How nice it must be to love. "That's good to hear! I hope you can find her." Edreina's only jealousy was having something - or someone in this case - to look forward to. Her life was still much a mystery.

"But today? Was good day! After season spar with only Akalak and you, more people! And I find another Myrian! A female! In Syliras!"

Edreina's eyes widened in surprise. "Damn sorry I missed that!" She lifted her mug for a moment before sipping it again. The fight was likely dozens and dozens of times better than anything Edreina could have attempted. She was glad that Razkar had found a worthy opponent to reawaken his dormant skills.

"Can you believe? I could not. And made other... well... not friends... but interesting people. Useful people."

Edreina frowned thoughtfully, running a finger round and round the lip of her mug, a nearly hypnotizing motion that left her lost in a cloud of thoughts. They lapsed into silence as the two contemplated different things. Edreina was caught up in the entire concept of relationships, how easily she came to consider someone a friend or an enemy. For this woman, usefulness was not a factor in her association with others. She she did not like them, she did not bother with them. If she liked them, she would go out of her way to make them as happy as possible.

"Here ya go! Rare and medium-rare. Enjoy!"

Edreina jumped slightly when the woman sat two heaping plates before the pair. The Svefra found herself utterly amazed at the sheer size of the plank of meat before her. With a single finger, she prodded at the meat in an almost scientific manner. It was immediately obvious that she would not be able to pry this meat apart with her fingers as she did with fish and crab. At least, not without making a horrible mess.

"Dig in. Ah... good as I remember..."

Great. A knife would be needed. Already Surai's mockery came to mind, causing Edreina to blush gently. With careful fingers, she took the knife and cut off a bite-sized chunk. Thoughtfully, she took the piece between her fingers and popped it into her mouth.

It was... different.

A bit chewier than fish, but a thousand times more flavorful it seemed. She chewed slowly, absorbing the flavor's complexity. It was nearly metallic, but tasted of earth and things that she could not recognize. Now, she had one reason to be jealous of the land-striders. As she ate, she smiled to herself, enjoying the food wholly.

When about half of the plate was clear, Edreina found herself becoming sadly full and began to slow her pace. "So. How long has it been?" Edreina smiled to herself at the possible innuendo there. "Since... uh. Since you last saw your Ayatah?" It was personal, but they had shared a dozen personal experiences. Why not speak freely now? Edreina made sure to smile at her friend, resting her cheek on one fist her friend replied. "I'm guessing you're excited to," she waggled her eyebrows mischievously, "see her, then." Edreina snorted at her own joke and took another sip of ale. Either the night was wearing on or the beef had some magical ability to make this swill taste better.

Suddenly, a question of the utmost importance came to Edreina's flighty mind. "How old are you, Raz?" He did not look to be too old, but the number of scars he had accumulated may be indicators of years more than she imagined.
Edreina
Unbound

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Razkar on May 23rd, 2013, 4:52 am

Razkar smiling around the mouthful of tangy, dripping meat as Edri poked and prodded like the steak would fight back. But then she started eating and, but by bit, her reticence cleared up...

"Told you," he said a little smugly, taking a healthy swallow from his ale and deciding it complimented the juicy meat, "Hey, maybe you get taste for it."

"So. How long has it been?"

His jaw stopped as his eyes darted up and the beginnings of a mischievous smile pulled up the corners of her mouth. Being a male, Razkar's mind went to the most obvious subject and he somehow managed to shuffle awkwardly while sitting down and eating.

"Well... ah... when I leave jung-"

"Since... uh. Since you last saw your Ayatah?"

"Oh... Oh!" Razkar said, smiling a little with a little more relief than he should have but far less than was actually washing through him. Coupling was not a subject that he wanted to brook with this female. She was too... risky. "Has been... nearly a whole year, I think. I... We, left jungle middle of Summer last year."

"I'm guessing you're excited to see her, then."

Sharp black eyes saw the mischief dancing in those "innocent" blue ones, that he knew now were definitely worthy of their quotation marks, and Razkar did his best to look no nonchalant.

Up to the point of making a guttural growling sound and biting his bottom lip, eyes flaring as he looked at her and getting just the reason he wanted.

"You have no idea..."

Well, that shut her up for a few chimes, anyway. Her ale seemed much improved, too, but Razkar put that down to the meat. The Stallion was not known for fine cuisine, per se, but the Myrian had been right in thinking that it wouldn't be swill served her. Too many scrubbed types to sell garbage and besides, when you're a Syliras landmark, people expect a little more.

"How old are you, Raz?"

Razkar cocked his head to one side and smiled indulgently. Curious. She'd never asked him that before... in fact, he'd never asked her age, either. It had seemed strangely irrelevant. It was clear from her mannerisms that she was not a child, so what more did he care?

"This Summer will be my twenty seven. Was born on day nine of Summer." He inclined his head slightly and his sharp eyes were already trying to pin down her age. Such smooth, flawless skin under her freckles, light fiery eyes... ah, they threw him. They didn't match the face. "And you?"

A blast of colder air as she answered and Razkar's gaze flashed to the doorway as it opened, black hole of night setting it apart. A man entered, fairly nondescript but the scar on his forehead, bare for all to see thanks to his shaven head, made the Myrian frown... and remember.

He'd seen him at the Pits. A gambler and spectator, if he remembered right. And he was looking for someone...

The human looked Razkar's way, and when they locked eyes, started towards them.
Razkar
War Is The Answer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Edreina on May 23rd, 2013, 3:04 pm

"And you?"

"Twenty-two springs," Edreina answered automatically. But then she stopped, pressing a finger to her lip as she thought. Was she still twenty-two? What day was it... Shivering as a blast of suddenly cold air assaulted them, she leaned over and asked another patron what day it was.

"80th of Spring," he answered irritably. Or perhaps he did not want to talk to her for too long for fear of offending her apparent Myrian suitor. The second possibility did not cross Edreina's mind but it was a possibility none the less.

80th of Spring... Hey! Today's my birthday! The thought crossed Edreina's mind with a smile that flitted across her lips for an instant. She turned back to tell that to her friend just as she saw another approaching them.

The man had average clothes, average height, average build. But his shaved, scarred head set him apart from the crowd. Well, that and the fact that he was heading towards them. Edreina could not even read the expression upon his face and that was utterly... unnerving. Something about his even gaze made Edreina want to relace the upper part of her shirt and wrap her arms around herself. It was just plain odd. Almost... unnatural. But she kept those feelings, those intuitions, silent as he approached, worried that he may be a friend of Razkar's and that any negative reaction to his approach might be an offense.

So, Edreina kept her position the same save for an uncontrollable tightening in her shoulders. Curious - despite the odd gut feeling - she allowed her eyes to flick upwards towards his when his approach was nearly complete, before returning to meet Razkar's, blue depths begging the silent question, Who is he? what is he doing here?
OOCSorry it is so short. >.>
Edreina
Unbound

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Razkar on May 23rd, 2013, 8:11 pm

"Twenty-two springs."

Razkar grimaced softly at his own appraisal. Huh. He'd actually thought older than that, given her attitude, the fact she had her own boat... Goddess, he had younger sisters the same age as her. But even as he nodded one of his eyes followed the new face as he circumvented knots of drinkers, tables, skirted the bar and...

Edreina tensed across from him and he gripped the handle of the ale stein a little harder. Tough ceramic. Heavy. But smashed into a skull hard enough, it would stun, shatter... leaving him with the jagged handle in his hand and ready to bury in the bastard's throat.

You're off your map out here, boy, a voice in his head warned him as the man approached, eyes fixed on him keenly, be careful...

The man stopped. Everything about him was nondescript, but his eyes were too cold, too clinical. They flickered up and down and Razkar suspected he'd be able to pick the Myrian out of a crowd of hundreds from that moment on. Another flicker and he too in Edreina, too, making Razkar's jaw tighten a little.

"Yes?"

"Razkar?"

Not as rough a voice as many he'd heard that day... but the accent told him that, perhaps, it had once been. Years among those above his station had changed that, though. The Myrian nodded.

"My employer wants to meet you."

Interesting, Razkar thought as he kept his carefully neutral expression, thumb caressing the handle of his stein. No mention of the fight or the sparring session, no introduction as to himself... just the bare bones. Delivering a message. What did that tell him?

Razkar sighed. He didn't know. He still didn't know how this place worked, the power plays and relationships and etiquette of those who had the money to buy and sell swords like his. But he'd set out to make his name in Syliras, for the expressed purpose of finding employment...

Employer. Telling me immediately that could be my relationship to him, too. Mentioning money without mentioning money...

"Who is employer?"

The errand boy didn't answer with his voice. His hand slipped into his pocket-

Razkar's hand tensed, his shoulder went with it, eyes seeing the sweet spots of the jaw, temple, throat, jugular-

-and a piece of parchment was produced. He placed it on the table next to Razkar's half-eaten meal, standing still while the Myrian picked it up and unfolded it. Neat script. Capital letters, as he understood the Common style. Obviously written for someone unused to the universal language of Mizahar.

SPINNING COIN
WAREHOUSE DISTRICT

"Come there tomorrow." The man said, words as clipped as the writing Razkar was reading, revealing nothing. "Looking the way you do, we'll know who you are. Then we'll talk."

Razkar frowned. First "my employer", now "we"? Was the man just trying to confuse him. Silly question... but what else have you got to go on? And they want you quick. Not in a few days or a week, but tomorrow. Maybe they're worried someone else will snatch you up...

"Yes."

A tiny nod, as if the human expected such a reaction anyway. Then, a brief display of emotion as he glanced at Edreina a moment longer than he needed to, eyes flaring with hunger then fading again back to neutrality. Razkar's own narrowed...

"Miss."

And then he was gone. He turned on his heel and left the Stallion without so much as a backward glance and only when he'd vanished through the door and it had closed behind him did Edreina's shoulders finally relax and the Myrian heard her breath wheeze out.

Razkar smiled, almost apologetically, and made a mental note that if any envoys from shadowy persons wanted to speak to him again, they would have to do so when he was alone. The fearful uncertainty that came over her when that man approached... he did not want to be the cause of it.

"Business." He said, and saw a shadow fall over face. "People I work with... for... not always nice. Not usual, anyway." He turned back to his meal and decided to slide the conversation back to something a bit happier. Like the way she'd just been smiling. "Why did you smile? When you ask about day?"
Last edited by Razkar on May 26th, 2013, 11:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Razkar
War Is The Answer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Next