PM to join [The Spinning Coin] I. The Stage And The Players

Razkar is given a mission, and attracts others to his dubious banner

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

[The Spinning Coin] I. The Stage And The Players

Postby Kyra on June 6th, 2013, 6:02 am

Kyra just watched the group but she kept her laughter inside. It was rare for her to do so, and she didn't care much for social niceties, but there was one thing that she saw clearer than anything, this wasn't going to work. Unlike the lot that sat and stood around her, Kyra was a real mercenary and had been hired by the Ravok army, a job that she had been paid very well for. She witness tactics, understood how when in a group those included needed to work as a group. This was no group, this was no army, they were a bunch of people looking to join for their own reasons. Which meant they were likely to fight the same way, as if they were the only person on the battle field.

This wasn't going to work..

Sure each of them had a skill that would be useful, but only if there was a group to pull together and work as a team. This was no team, they'd hadn't even been in each others company for a full day and they were already fighting. In truth, this group was more dangerous to themselves than any slavers would be. Kyra yawned and stretched her arms over her head, before lowering them and looking at the people around her. She could still remember the horrific battle that she had been in and how many people on their side had die, even when they were fighting as one, but this group...?

They were going to die..

Hotheads, crazed vigilantes...and the two with secrets. The two dark skinned tattooed humans seated closest together, the two that continued to give each other glances...what were they up too? Kyra had to wonder, the man said that he had a plan, a simple plan, but he didn't seem at all angered by the display in front of him. Why was this? Then she recalled his words, the ones that he had spoken more than once and very boldly at that. He didn't trust them. Such secrecy for someone who needed help from others. He didn't trust them, but he wanted them to trust him enough to follow him to a location where he might tell them more.

There was something more to it, but she could see that he wasn't going to tell anyone anything. No, the tattooed man had his mind set and he would do things his way. The rest of them were just pawns, ready to be sacrificed while he and his friend remained to collect the coin. Perhaps she was wrong, but the young kelvic knew enough about war and battle to know that what she was seeing was a blood bath waiting to be had. And so Kyra stood there silently looking from one tattooed human to the other and waiting for one of them to give her a reason not to walk out the door. There was no point in asking questions, if he was going to tell them more then he would, if not, well that was also an answer.

Kyra hadn't come there for just the coin, she wanted to have fun, but the more that she heard the less it sounded like fun, and the more it sounded like a bunch of fools going to get themselves killed while someone else made off with the coin.

Kyra
Strength is meaning

Words: 516587
Joined roleplay: June 1st, 2012, 6:39 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Razkar on June 6th, 2013, 10:20 pm

The Myrian had nothing against the healer human's first words; even his growled threat to the spiky-haired Des merely elicited a short, silent roll of his eyes. Goddess, and these barbarians thought that his people fought each other for no reason?

But his final words, spoken lower and choked with and old but still potent anger... those made Razkar pay full attention.

"My sister was taken by slavers. I couldn't give a shyke less about the rest of those weak bastards, but if I find her, I'm taking her home. And if you see a bloke in an eye-patch, real fancy like... He's mine."

"This is not rescue," Razkar said slowly, mirroring the human's low, dangerous tone, "This is ambush. We go, we wait, we strike, we kill and and then slavers can live for ever or die chime after they free. I not care which. Neither will you, or not come. What guard there, slaver there, will die quick. You kill, me kill, them-" he gestured briefly but curtly to the rest of the table "-not matter. Remember that."

He didn't feel the need to say much else, but his eye was drawn by... ah, yes... the silent one. The blonde who looked younger than him, but her eyes... they were not old, per se, but experienced. They had seen much and done even more. They were cold, careful, rarely blinking and with just a hint of mirth in them.

But Razkar picked up on her professional unease well enough. She seemed uncomfortable with amateurs, and... with him. The Myrian leaned back and massaged the back of his neck, breathing out loudly almost in unconscious mimicry of the Kelvic's earlier stretching.

"Some of you may not like me." He said finally, then rested his gaze squarely on Kyra. "Or trust me. I do not care. You are here for job. You trust enough to come to table... you trust enough to come to other place. Where we make ambush." He shrugged again, trying to put more nonchalance into the gesture than he felt. Out of all of them, Razkar sensed that this blonde human could be the most useful. "Or not come. I not care for that, also..."

Razkar knew he was... perhaps a little abrasive, but much as he tried to summon some remorse for that, he couldn't. Sellswords and mercenaries, the unhinged and the listless, that was what he had at this table. He knew only one and owed none. Why should he act like the big brother they never had?

Life's unfair. Live with it.

He sighed softly and flashed a glance at the couple that had yet to speak: the whit-haired human male whom he was guessing would have some opinion, and the blonde girl who probably would not. He hadn't been expecting so many words or questions, when a yes or no was what he was really after. But oddly enough, he appreciated the unexpected splurge of verbiage. It allowed him to assess them a little better.

"Anyone else?"

OOCOnly two left, and apparently Kyra is going to smolder in silence. Solin, waiting on you, and then I'll give you guys the place we're to assemble before we head into the Woods. Me and Spooky Anime Chick (sorry, love, I can never remember how to spell your name) have business after, so while she and Raz will stay at the table, the rest of you can go sharpish.
My Words | Your Words | Myrian | Fratavan | My Thoughts
Razkar has been cursed by Yahal, and as such finds little acceptance from others; they will instinctively view him as being deceptive and traitorous. However, when close to one blessed by Yahal, the effect is negated. The curse is etched onto his left pectoral, and viewing the mark causes others to feel dirty and unclean.
Razkar
War Is The Answer

Words: 2242619
Joined roleplay: October 8th, 2012, 12:04 am
Race: Myrian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 9
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (2)
Trailblazer (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Solin on June 7th, 2013, 1:44 am

Solin put a hand on the back of the chair that Razkar kicked out to him. He quickly sat down in the chair, leaned back, and listened to the small and short rundown of the job. The way Razkar was explaining the job was a simple kill everyone who wasn't a slave. The kelvic thought simple enough, but the problem was the slave caravan had more guards than our band of “mercenaries”, so the party were already at a disadvantage by the sheer numbers of slavers unless the Myrian's employer had employed other mercenary bands on the mission too. If it was the case, the party might have additional trouble after the raid with the other mercenary bands. Solin didn't like their odds, but a part of him had a feeling the Myrian named Razhar was worth his salt as a warrior and a leader. Solin glanced over at the kelvic woman and the way the female kelvic carried herself at the table. Solin figured she had seen her share of battles in the past, but he wasn't going to ask her at the table. Suddenly, the gambler named Des started asking detailed and specific questions about the job. Solin thought to himself, “First mistake Pup...” Solin had to admit those questions were fair to ask, but the wolf knew the myrian didn't want to explain the details of the plan sitting right in the middle of one of the most lawful cities in Mizahar. Solin had a hunch the myrian wanted to keep the job under the eyes and ears of the Syliran Knights.

Solin knew from previous experience that the initial meeting was just the contract stage of the job. It was a mistake, but it was a costly mistake for Des because the whole group turned on him in a instant. The human with the long sword started to threatening him with his vary life if he jeopardized the mission. It was a little rash because the questions were fair to ask if he did it at the right time. Suddenly, Solin felt the air turn ice cold, and he could feel on the hair on his arm stand up on end, and Suddenly, the apparition appeared out of nowhere and started strangling him for his asking his questions. The appearance of the spirit startled Solin enough that he almost fell out of his seat. He wasn't was accustom to seeing spirits, and the anger and the rage the spirit had inside her seemed to fueled her with such malice towards the young man. Solin watched the scene unfold and Razkar swiftly put a the ghost and the gambler in his place. Solin bright blue eyes flickered around at the crowds around them to see if the appearance of the ghost and her violence towards the boy drew unwanted attentions from other patrons.

Solin sat back in his chair, and he turned his attention to the myrian female. She started adding suggestions to the battle strategy. It was a sound battle strategy with a distraction and a ambush. The only issue was numbers, and if the caravan is guarded by skilled warriors than as the female myrian said about the ghost and spiritualist than the whole band would be sunk. The last person to speak up was a human with the long sword. He looked capable enough with the long sword at his side. However, he wanted to bring a personal grudge into a job, and Solin knew personal vendettas shouldn't be brought up during mercenary work. A mercenary should stomach his feeling and sometimes his morality, and do what he has do to get the job done. He had a feeling the human might do something rash on the battle field that would get him killed. The wicked grin that appeared on the man's face made it apparent that the man was blinded by his own rage.

All the time, the chaos around the table was unfolding the female kelvic was sitting in silence. Solin started to wonder if she was enjoying the show, or if she was contemplating leaving the table and the job entirely. As Solin played with one of the polished carved bones in his hair, he sat their listening and observing the already fractured group. The kelvic realized he was the only one who hasn't said a word to the party, and he took his fingers from the bone, looked at Des, and said plainly, “Syliras is a city of laws, Pup, and the kind of job you are applying for isn't looked highly upon in a city of laws especially with the authorities. Now, I am sure Razkar will give you all the details you desire when we are outside the city away from the eyes and ears of the knighthood.”

Solin looked at the apparition and the human with the long sword and said softly, “First of all don't draw unwanted attention to us. I am sure you both of you are eager to succeed in the job and getting paid like us all, but assaulting and threatening the Pup in the middle of a crowded room isn't going to help you get paid at all if you both are sitting in a holding cell.” He looked at the ghost girl and said simply, “I am sure the knights have plenty of people to deal with spirits too.” Solin was a rational man with control of his emotions, but he had people to see when the mission was over, so he didn't want them to jeopardize his future. He looked at the ghost girl knowing he didn't want to have the spirit pissed off at him in the future, so he said with a smile, “I don't mean any offense. I am sure you can take care of yourself. I just wanted to give you some advice to think about for the future.” Solin looked over at the myrian name Razkar and said simply as he stuck out a hand to seal the deal, “I don't make deals lightly with people, Razkar, and I hope you are a man of his word too.” Solin tilted his head and said with a toothy grin, “If you take my hand and shake, my bow and my teeth will kill for you for the duration of our contract, so do we have a deal, myrian.”
Solin
My Life is my Own

Words: 77566
Joined roleplay: May 20th, 2013, 12:06 am
Character sheet

Postby Razkar on June 8th, 2013, 1:25 am

“Syliras is a city of laws, Pup, and the kind of job you are applying for isn't looked highly upon in a city of laws especially with the authorities. Now, I am sure Razkar will give you all the details you desire when we are outside the city away from the eyes and ears of the knighthood.”

Razkar's eyebrow quirked upwards, his only outward sign of reaction, but inwardly, he was impressed. The barbarian had nailed it with one arrow. Syliras was structured, orderly, civilized... and thus it was utterly stifling for men like him, who walked in a grey world. The Knights were not so foolish as to rely purely on arms, Razkar was sure of that: informers, spies and information gatherers... they would all be on their payroll, too.

Hence the secrecy. Hence the lack of trust. Smart boy...

The comments to the spirit were received... apparently well, but who was Razkar to know the moods and nuances of a ghost? Solin's warning about "spiritists", whatever they were, made Razkar frown slightly. Some... specialized ghosts... busters, or something? He bore that in mind as he watched silently, giving the floor to the strange white-haired youth.

“I don't make deals lightly with people, Razkar, and I hope you are a man of his word too. If you take my hand and shake, my bow and my teeth will kill for you for the duration of our contract, so do we have a deal, Myrian.”

The Myrian in questions looked down at the proffered hand. So pale. So unlike his own. He was still getting used to that; walking among these barbarians, many of whom seemed carved from ice and frost. But the words... the words struck a chord.

Razkar was, if one wished to use the term, a supremacist. And was fully aware of it. To him, the superiority of the Myrian race was not even a theory r a question or even an opinion; it was a fact, and that was that. But to have this boy, whose words were shrewd and yet extended his hand and his bond so freely...

Don't be fooled. You've heard oaths made and broken almost immediately after. Admire if you will... but trust only when it's earned.

Razkar reached out and gripped the hand; not hard, with the showy, vice-like squeeze of a youth trying to prove something. Just the steady, solid pressure of a man... or a vow, pressing down on you.

"For the duration." He said back to the Kelvic, as he now understood Solin to be. My bow and teeth? Something of a giveaway, but perhaps a deliberate one. "That is for all of you..."

A Kelvic. A shifter. Very useful. Once again Razkar's plans for the operation shifted, morphed, like a ball of clay with one more indent or layer added to it. Much as Razkar was one who relished and needed the rush and wetness of combat, preparing like this, planning, shifting perspectives and utilizing assets for that sweet, flawless execution... that was a glory to Myri all of it's own.

"All have spoken," he said, reaching into his pocket and spreading a map onto the table. "And I think all will come on job. So. Tomorrow at sunset... you will meet me here."

He stabbed at a odd little blue blob outside the city walls, to the north-east, and looked around to make sure everyone was focusing on that spot before continuing. He knew from experience that without good directions and understanding, any unit would flounder.

"Sacred Arch Hotspru... Springs." He said slowly, mangling the last word though he had practiced it beforehand. "North side, on edge of woods. If not there by time sunset, we leave without you. I will be there. Other sellswords I say earlier? They will be there, too."

Without any more words, Razkar raised his hand and within a few moments a barmaid sashayed over, body firm and buxom but her eyes and hands callused by years in this pit. It was years, too, in Judy's case.

Some of the more cynical members of the table eyed her jaded expression critically. Two years more. Maybe four. After that, this line of work would crush here spirit utterly, or she would drift further east, to Sunberth, where all the lost and damned went to die.

"Sir?"

"Ale. For one." Razkar said pointedly, sweeping the table with a glance and actually appearing to relax. He quickly revealed why. "Meeting is over. See you tomorrow... or not. After job is over, then I might buy ale for you. Until then... we see who earn it..."

Continued here

OOCTh-Th-Th-That's all, folks! Well, for now, anyway. You can just take it as read that after Razkar left you did the same, if you want, or you can all post your exits. Entirely up to you. You'll be getting word on Part Two shortly, it should be up tonight or tomorrow.
Last edited by Razkar on July 31st, 2013, 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Words | Your Words | Myrian | Fratavan | My Thoughts
Razkar has been cursed by Yahal, and as such finds little acceptance from others; they will instinctively view him as being deceptive and traitorous. However, when close to one blessed by Yahal, the effect is negated. The curse is etched onto his left pectoral, and viewing the mark causes others to feel dirty and unclean.
Razkar
War Is The Answer

Words: 2242619
Joined roleplay: October 8th, 2012, 12:04 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 9
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (2)
Trailblazer (1) Overlored (1)
One Million Words! (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Des on June 8th, 2013, 2:05 am

Great reasons to fight money, fun, vengeance and ones own selfish reason. This is what life is worth to them. Looking at the girl who wants him dead the man who wants him to get serious. Fine if they want blood,death and suffering thats what they'll get. He wants me to get serious, then thats what he'll get. Looks over to the human man looking for his long lost sister. Des brings out his old self for these bloodhounds. An awakward silence broods between Des and the human and in a split second Des springs forth and lands ontop of the human sending him and the chair over. Crashing to the floor with Des ontop. Sitting on the man's chest with his knees on the man's shoulders. Des lets out a wild laugh while waving his kris centimeters away from his neck, Careful what you wish for Des says to the man. Staring wide eyed at the man still laughing and repeating his words over and over again. He pauses to take a breath then speaks. " I should tell you about the one time when i was still a slave to my master. He told me to send a message to his competition. Do you know what i did"? Pausing to wait for the man's response the man just looked at him blankly. " What i thought this is what you wanted wheres the the smiles and giggles"? The man continues stare blankly at him while struggling to get free. Unfortunately Des had him pin and he was not planning on letting go until he felt like it. " Now back to the story, my master's competition had a pregnant wife. So i desided to pay her a visit, she was beautiful even with her neck split open. You think that would be enough but i was masters favorite. So i cut her womb open and tore out the unborn child. Rested her holding her child on a chair near the fireplace all ready for the husband to come home. That worked better then expected the competition killed himself out of grief". He starts to smile and says to the man, well was that serious enough?

Getting off of the human and walking to the middle of the crowd and turns to tattooed man. " Since the job is done when all the guards are dead and you don't care about the slaves. I'll be taking them back to the city". Sitting back down on his seat looking back to the ghost that threatening his life. " if you want to kill me then kill me but after the job is done and i've brought the slaves to safety. Then you can join the list of people after my head".
With nothing more to say he patiently waits for the meeting to conclude.
Des
Player

Words: 13849
Joined roleplay: May 17th, 2013, 4:18 am
Character sheet

Postby Kaie on June 8th, 2013, 3:02 am

Hearing the words in her own tongue from Razkar, words she agreed entirely with, she realized she had actually spoken her thoughts. She was irritated with her own lack of control of her speech. Unintended thoughts brought on by her loss in her own mind. Had she actually managed to mentally check out like that? Spewing nonsense across a table where it didn't belong? Had she been a bystander watching herself she would've cut her own petching throat to save herself the trouble. So hard she had been working to lose the reputation her age group had earned with their stupidity. Seventeen years of age was not a reason enough to lose consideration for her own behavior. Kaie had been trying to lose the mentality she was naturally placed in. Seeking to show maturity that was represented in people older than she was. Yet, there she went. Falling victim to teenage idiocy that always seemed to strike her at inappropriate times. This business meeting was not spared either.

"Razkar of the Shorn Skulls, I will follow you into battle. May Myri guide your fists." She said making a vow to him in Common this time so that her loyalty to her fellow Myrian was clear. A promise solidified to hopefully overshadow her moment of naivety. More likely than not, the latter would fail but still the purpose would be served. She didn't trust the people around her. None other than Razkar simply for his race, bluntness, and skill she had witnessed. Don't get her wrong, she had met the guy only once before. She wasn't a fool enough to think she actually knew the man. She did considered him a friend though or at least a strong ally. "Sunset. Sacred Arch Hotsprings," She repeated in her mind to reinforce the information. She had known the place well before for a very....Different kind of business. A more social one. Regardless, she'd be sure to be present and see who had the balls to join them. Whether she liked it or not, whoever showed up was a part of the team. She didn't have to do anything more than cooperate with them and complete the mission. Any other connections were just bonuses along the way. Kaie would do her best not to get attached before the battle of course. When the time came for slitting throats she needed to worry only about the killing, not who else was being killed. Her own life needed to take precedence over these strangers'. She knew herself well enough to know if she grew fond of them beforehand, she'd be all over the place trying to keep them out of a blade's range. In this job, there would be no place for rash judgement and action. Apathy was a good friend to have. That's the nature of such a dangerous business.

Watching Razkar leave, Kaie was preparing to leave herself. That's before all hell broke loose. Anger. Fury. Kaie's eyes were darkening by the second as she watched Des eye the human, only to tackle him unnecessarily later on. What the petch was he doing? The Myrian woman was already irate with her own actions earlier. Now she'd have to worry about her possible companions ripping each other apart before the job was even on its way? Goddess sake, Razkar hadn't even given them to plans yet! It was all she could do to keep herself from making an audible groan. Or better yet, from beating the shyke out of the cocky son of a bitch right there. She may not have known either well, but from what she witnessed, she was on the "Lifesaver's" side. No question. Instead, Kaie gritted her teeth only looking on. Had she reacted, she might've drawn unwanted attention. Too many eyes would get them completely shut down. She'd be damned before she saw the inside of the tank again. That stated, the Myrian woman wouldn't let this petchery continue either. In preservation of everyone's interest and respect for her employer, Kaie decided to take matters into her own hands. Better she managed to calm herself and deal with him before the more competent man guy back up swinging.

Storming over to the two with bared teeth, the savage caught Des by the back of the neck. Bronzed hand wrapped around the back of his throat, squeezing the sides to get a nice grip and hold him in place. The free hand braced the collar of his shirt, feet moving purposefully across the floor. Practically dragging him out the door of the Spinning Coin.

"Don't you dare open your petching mouth or I'll show you what sending a message looks like. We're going to walk out these doors and you're doing to sit the hell down and listen to what I have to say." She growled lowly in his ear, moving him along forcefully. Clearly, this woman was not going to take no for an answer. She would've stayed behind, offered the tackled man her hand even, but her anger boiled. She hadn't the patience. Besides, they'd have plenty of time to get acquainted tomorrow like everyone else. After all, what better way to familiarize with a comrade than on the battlefield. If he had a sister, Kaie hoped he got the chance to rescue her. Though honestly, she wished for his own good and theirs that he would not find her on that convoy.

"I'll see you all tomorrow. Or not." She said in forced jest in an attempt to leave on a bit of a lighter note. Whether she achieved it or not she hadn't a clue, but she hadn't the time to stick around and find out. She forced Des through the crowds, eventually hurling him onto the wooden floors where they were obscured.

OOC:That's my exit. Des and Kaie will continue the discussion in a separate thread to avoid prolonging this longer than intended. That way it can be graded when Razkar wants it to. Looking forward to the next phase with all of you. :)

Kaie
Player

Words: 1635197
Joined roleplay: May 9th, 2013, 3:13 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)
One Million Words! (1) Riverfall Seasonal Challenge (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Emblem on August 26th, 2013, 8:16 pm

Congratulations!
You Get Glorious Experience!

Razkar

SkillPoints Earned
Leadership 3 XP
Rhetoric 3 XP
Negotiation 2 XP

Lore Earned
Mercenary Work
Assembling a Band
Placing Trust in Strangers
Making Plans

Other Shenanigans:- 20 gm for tip

Kouri

SkillPoints Earned

Lore Earned
Seeking Work
Slavers Are Scum
Keep it Simple
Making Plans

Other Shenanigans:

Kaie

SkillPoints Earned
Negotiation 2 XP
Rhetoric 2 XP
Investigation 1 XP
Intimidation1 XP

Lore Earned
Seeking Work
Making Plans
Fellow Myrian

Other Shenanigans:

Kyra

SkillPoints Earned
Observation 2 XP
Investigation 1 XP
Negotiation 1 XP

Lore Earned
Seeking Work
Making Plans
A Silent Observer
A Doomed Mission

Other Shenanigans:

Daelyn

SkillPoints Earned
Negotiation 2 XP
Rhetoric 2 XP
Investigation 1 XP

Lore Earned
Seeking Work
Seeking Vengeance
Seeking Someone
Making Plans
A Personal Stake

Other Shenanigans:

Solin

SkillPoints Earned
Negotiation 2 XP
Rhetoric 2 XP
Investigation 1 XP

Lore Earned
Seeking Work
Making Plans
Lecturing the Immature

Other Shenanigans:

Comments :
I am incredibly sorry for the wait on this one guys. I enjoyed the read and thought the dynamics between the characters was interesting. So great work there! If any of you think I was unfair with the grade please PM me!
Currently working at new job so I am still trying to balance it out with Miza. I apologize for any delays.
Emblem
Retired Staff

Words: 50846
Joined roleplay: January 24th, 2012, 5:56 am
Race: Staff account
Office

Previous