Open [Meeting] The Coming Winter

In lieu of the bitter weather this season, the Valintar has called a meeting in the Inclement

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The westernmost tip of Kalea, Wind Reach is home to an amazing group of people and their giant eagle mounts. [Lore]

[Meeting] The Coming Winter

Postby Turrin on October 22nd, 2013, 1:04 am

Putting on a stone face, Turrin listened to the Valintar shoot down his ideas without a second thought. The leader of Wind Reach totally missed the point with the forward camps. He already knew of the forward camps around Wind Reach, but they were still to far north to make a difference. The Valintar could easily send emissaries to the Isur, Lhavit, and Kalinor to ask the hunt their lands, but he would rather let people starve for the sake of taking a chance with his neighbors. Morwen is arriving tomorrow, and the Valintar still wanted to hunt the same barren land that has been proving unfruitful through the fall. It was asinine to keep doing something that was not working in the first place, and with the strong winter winds blowing from the Thunder Bay, hunting will be much more difficult next season with the snow and half the wildlife going into hibernation.

Turrin wanted to yell at the man in frustration but he knew it wasn't his place to call out the leader of Wind Reach for being a complete fool, so the half-Myrian turned his attention from the man and muttered softly to Drusilla with annoyance in his voice, “This is why in Tolaba our woman are in charge because men are stubborn and prideful creatures who don't listen to reason even when it is thrown in their face!” Turrin tried to control his emotions, but he noticed his mother side was starting to show when he heard laughter or people giving him bad looks for trying to help. He knew the people who tended to stay silent were the quickest to judge, but he was always a outsider in his father's and mother's society, so he figured his actions will prove them all wrong. For a chime or two, he listened to Alori's suggestion and hissed his complaints quietly to the Symenestra, “See perfectly good suggestion from Endal Alori, and it was shot down by frozen water! Bah why am I still here? She should be in charge if all he can come up with is reasons for why we can't do something...”

Turrin knew got all the information that he needed, so he was about to turn and leave, but as he was turning, he noticed the moisture swirling around Kaden. He stopped and watched it for a chime, and he noticed that the mist wasn't normal at all. Suddenly, he heard a disembodied voice fill the Inclement Weather, and he stopped and listened to voice. Turrin heart skipped a beat when he noticed that he was compelled to listen to the voice. The half-Myrian put a comforting hand on Drusilla's shoulder and listened to voice chastise the leaders of Wind Reach for being isolationists. However, Turrin raised an eyebrow when the voice said something about around them. The Endal was curious about what the voice meant by it, but he just crossed his arms and wondered if he was listening to a god.
Myrian, Common, Nari , Aponivi, Turrin

Thank you Nyxie Nadira Draer for the posting template.
Turrin
No Chains will Hold Me

Words: 581340
Joined roleplay: September 3rd, 2013, 1:13 am
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

Postby Kovac on October 25th, 2013, 1:30 pm

Kovac was admittedly relieved when Kaden insisted that the hunting Wings remain at Wind Reach, meaning Lavira would be near during the Winter. The lovestruck Avora was still finding his way around their newfound relationship, and the unfamiliar feelings Vira often elicited from her boyfriend. Overt concern for her well-being was one such sentiment that had been nurtured since the night he first held her during her nightmares. If she were off roaming the world, he could not take care of her.

Once the heated questions and firm answers regarding hunting were passed, and other artisans were addressed, the three hunters conversed among themselves. Kovac looked at Vira, and then Alori, when the one-eyed Endal invited their friend to live with them for a while. Kovac nodded. "Yes, she is crazy, and yes, we certainly don't mind. Hai, you have already slept in our bed!" The Avora teased. Alori was dear to both he and Lavira, and always welcomed in their home.

Suddenly the air moving through the crowded room shifted, taking on a quality that seemed strange to Kovac. Then the disembodied voice, more resonate and commanding than any human voice he had heard, resounded off of the stone walls. The Avora slid an arm around both Lavira and Alori, pulling them closer, as if he could protect them from something he could not see. Then he did see, or at least, saw the likeness of something. The Avora knew little of the supernatural, though he had witnessed the ghosts in the Shrine, and knew as well as any Inartan the consequences of the release of Ivak and the awakening it brought among the people of Skyinarta. There was only one explanation Kovac could draw from the frightening apparition. Divinity. Its condescending words and the fury surrounding it brought the same conclusion as many others had made. Zulrav. But Kovac was cynical, and he held final judgement until the entity revealed its alleged identity.
x
Kovac
Snarky Mongrel

Words: 534544
Joined roleplay: March 1st, 2010, 7:19 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Overlored (1)

Postby Harrier on October 25th, 2013, 2:45 pm

The grumbling from those who had asked their questions (or elsewhere) did not go unheard. Kaden new the answers he gave were tough ones to swallow. But the Valintar had his own reasons for "disregarding" the questions, and it was not about what the individuals felt. He was trying to balance the whole to ensure the most survive, and no matter what happened by the first of Spring, there was still going to be a high death toll.

However, the arrival of something far more menacing halted all further discussion as it swirled and drifted among him and his people, speaking with its thundering voice and wind-swept sonnet. Kaden frowned and looked to Glav and Akvin. But they had murmured to themselves something. Whatever had been said, even the Valintar was forced to refocus upon the swirling shape that swept throughout the Inclement, eventually settling far to the back. He was going to speak when the sound boomed through the room as if lightning had struck from just overhead. Maybe it had!

I do not want to hear your pathetic whimpering's, do I make myself clear? The figure swirled in an amorphous mass at the back of them all, searching. I do not want to hear the woes of you godless people who only grudgingly give faith to the ones who watch on high. I want only answers, do I make myself clear? And if you will not give them, then woe be to you for famine will be the least of your concerns. It partly "solidified" into a manshape again, indistinct still, but clearly silhouetted to that of a man.

There is corruption among you, a coward hiding in your midst who would seek to bring this very prison down, too, if they are caught. But one of Mine is coming and he will see that Justice is served. The winds have whispered and they have cried to me that he is here and he has come to some of you.

The winds swept through the room though the figure remained at the back near Azira. For a moment, the whispers in the wind remained, pulsing but not fierce, before they settled around a dozen individuals thusfar. The first was but a stones throw away. To him, Marrin, the winds surged, gusting and billowing, pressing against him with such hatred the young man must surely feel he would die. Until the Storm God came before him, his voice a rumbling threat. But from within, Marrin would only have the most intense urge to stay silent. Not even twitch his lips or blink his eyes. He would be unable to say one word.

Interesting...Has he found himself a friend in you, boy? But the cloudy visage swept away, the mist gone as quickly as it had focused on him to jump to another in the room. This time, a child, a wee Yasi of some eight years. The boy trembled, pressing against his Chiet teacher and the teacher holding him close, frightened for him.

And what of you, little boy? What task did he have you do?

But again, the wind moved on, posing these questions to each of the others until he came to Syveris, the god calling his winds to contain her as the cloud-figure came closer, closer, until the Inartan would feel the coolness of cloud on her skin, the wet tickle of wild winds through her hair and down her neck. And what about you, pretty doll? What favor did he win from you...

The questioning ceased soon and the cloud-figure returned to the back, a billowing and angry thunderhead roiling against the doorframe. Hear me well, Wind Reach, for when I come again it will be for the Despised's head...or for those who aid him. My Priest will be here in fifteen days. You will permit him access to what he wishes and where he wishes until this murderer has been found. I will return on Winter 60th. Those who had gained the gods immediate attention would find themselves focused upon once more, eyes like lightning boring into them from unseen in the roiling mass of clouds. Pray to who you should that he is found swiftly...or beg for mercy when I return.

And then, the thunder and the wind and the god were gone, leaving the room and those outside the Inclement in a state of shocked silence. For the first time all season, Wind Reach was still as the winds that had plagued it since the eighteenth at last ceased. But for how long?

And as the silence reigned, eyes turned one by one to the dozen figures that had been directly address, including Syveris and Marrin. It was clear in the eyes of the leaders on the stage, that this new problem was not one to be taken lightly, and that members of the city had partook in this...well...it was safe to say they were in deep, deep trouble.
Harrier
Harrier than you

Words: 365904
Joined roleplay: June 25th, 2013, 9:07 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Journal

Postby Marrin on November 2nd, 2013, 8:36 pm

Marrin could feel the winds tearing at him, as if each of his limbs were brushing the edges of a hurricane that tore him in all different directions. Winds compressed him, front and back, forging his chest cavity smaller than it should have been. Tiny whips of wind slashed at his eyes, drying them and causing them to burn. The chill was immense, and Marrin struggled even to breathe, at times completely unable.

When the being spoke, all Marrin wanted to do with all his being was protest. What have I done to cause such scrutiny? I’ve done nothing wrong! I abide by no murderers or any such betrayers of gods. I would never! Yes he could not speak, could not move, could not even blink. His body was out of his control, wishing him to do nothing and forcing him to glare back at the divine being that tore at his very essence. It was as if he was ethereal in a shell that would not obey him, a ghostly aura of himself subduing him until he could do nothing to influence any of his surroundings. He was a ghost possessing a brick wall, for all the good it did him.

He stood, frozen as the being drifted around pointing out others that were somehow involved in this. Many he’d seen in day to day tasks, but they all seemed innocent to him. He couldn’t pick out one of them that he thought capable or willing of going against the gods and committing whatever nameless blasphemy they were being accused of. These were not killers.

The being announced he would return on the 60th. 60 days to get this all solved. 60 days for Marrin to discover the truth and clear his name. 60 days he had to do that and support all of Wind Reach and train two Apprentices in the art of the hunt. 60 days slowly began to feel more and more like six.

As the being disappeared, Marrins eyes met with those of their leaders. They all seemed to be glaring at him and the others accused of treachery they were no guiltier of than Marrin. He looked from side to side, registering each of the accused in his mind and committing their faces to memory. Perhaps they could all work together and clear away all this nonsense talk of blasphemy and abiding murderers that infuriated the god of storms. Marrin had never before been so passionate about something.

He waited, avoiding the scrutiny in the eyes of those around him. He waited in silence to be called by their leaders, hoping they’d listen to reason should they actually believe this fool gods claims. There was nothing more frightening that Marrin had ever experienced than this.
"Speech in an italic font is spoken in Nari."
"Speech in unmodified font is spoken in Common."
"Speech in bold font is NPC speech."
Nonspeech text in italic font is internal dialog.
Marrin
Slave to an Unknown Destiny

Words: 94562
Joined roleplay: October 16th, 2013, 3:45 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Turrin on November 9th, 2013, 3:59 am

Putting a hand on Drusilla's shoulder, Turrin watched and listened to god accuse Wind Reach of corruption. He was wondering if the Sulrav was talking about the Endal treatment of the lower caste was it something much more sinister that the average Inarta wouldn't ever notice. When the god started to talk about finding the source of such evil, he was starting to wonder if the god was putting them a quest to find the person who insulted or stole something from the storm god. Turrin watched as the sentient cloud started to hover around the head of a blond haired young man. The god started to accuse him of siding with the so called usurper. By the look of confusion on Marrin's face, the Endal knew the blond youth was unsure of his crime against the heavens. Suddenly, the storm god started to taunt Syveris, and the half-Myrian started to clench his jaw in anger. What possible reason would Syveris have to do with the usurper? Turrin squeeze the shoulder of Drusilla and said softly with a hint of annoyance in his voice, “I need to check on someone, Dru.” Turrin smiled at his best friend and swiftly made his towards Syveris.

Turrin started to make his way through the crowd towards the young woman. The Endal had the utmost respect for the gods because of the Goddess-Queen Myri and Caiyha. He knew that Sulrav was the one who brought the rains to Taloba, so he understood the importance of him when dealing with the weather. However, he wasn't going to allow Syveris to deal with this alone even if the god controlled his destiny in the sky. Turrin made it to Avora when the god started to address the large gathering of Inarta again. Laying a hand on her shoulder, Turrin brought head close to her and said softly, “I am not sure that the God Sulrav is talking about, but you will not have to face the god alone, Syveris.” Turning his attention to the voice of god, he frowned when the god mentioned that he was going to send a proxy to Wind Reach to search for the usurper. When the god threaten the people who will aid this Despised with their life, Turrin squeezed her shoulder reassuringly. He wasn't quite sure why Syveris would be involved with this Despised, but he would find out if he can pry himself away from hunting. It will be a cold and ugly winter indeed for the Myrian endal.
Myrian, Common, Nari , Aponivi, Turrin

Thank you Nyxie Nadira Draer for the posting template.
Turrin
No Chains will Hold Me

Words: 581340
Joined roleplay: September 3rd, 2013, 1:13 am
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Overlored (1)

Postby Syveris on November 9th, 2013, 3:53 pm

Corruption? Bring Wind Reach down? Trouble was piling up, and Syveris found herself suddenly tired. Of course she would aid whomever it was to find someone Despised by a God, but she still hadn't the slightest idea about what the God was talking about.

The swirling cloud moved again, engulfing Marrin, the man she had met when she went to the Inclement Weather with Azira. The God's words made her frown. Was Marrin a traitor? She doubted it. The confused look on the hunter's face showed her that he wasn't really sure of what was going on. The God moved on, talking directly to a few others individuals, one of which was a boy, a young Yasi. He couldn't be a traitor of Wind Reach. The God must have been mistaken.

Then the cloud began to approach her, and the Avora's eyes widened. She could feel the cloud touching her, and the winds gushing at her. It was cold, and she felt herself shivering from both it and from fear. What had she done? She didn't know whom the God was talking about.

The God then moved away, and Syveris watched, helpless, as he addressed all of the Inarta in the room again. She saw Turrin walking towards her, and suddenly, she felt as frightened as she had during the big storm. He looked angry, and she was afraid that he had believed the God. After all, who wouldn't? But she hadn't done anything wrong, and she hadn't help anyone do anything wrong!

However, the hand on her shoulder was gently, and his words made her calm almost instantly. Syveris felt her eyes watering again, and she hugged the half-Myrian, glad that he would support her.

"Thank you, Turrin." she didn't manage to raise her voice above a whisper. "But I... I don't really know what is going on."

And then, the Zulrav was gone, and the Inclement Weather became silent and still. Syveris looked around, seeing the many eyes on her and on the others accused by the God. She met Marrin's eyes, and made a mental note of talking with the hunter as soon as possible. The Avora was sure he was just as guilty as she was, but maybe they, together with all the others accused, could figure some way out of this mess.

She turned her eyes to the leaders again, biting her lip and waiting. They were glaring at them, and Syveris was unsure of what to expect.

x
x

x Abstract
Syveris
Emotional Glassworker

Words: 334020
Joined roleplay: September 1st, 2013, 2:25 am
Race: Human, Inarta
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Wind Reach Seasonal  Challenge (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Drusilla on November 17th, 2013, 11:26 pm

Drusilla nodded to Turrin as left to visit a girl that the god had deemed guilty. She wasn't sure what to make of all this. They had been trying to dicuss ways of making it though the winter and a god had appeared. It had been a god, hadn't it? It came claimed that some of the residents were guilty... But guilty of what? Whatever the supposed crime was Drusilla was just thankful that she and Turrin had been passed by the swirling god. Being outsiders any extra attention wasn't a good thing. But these targeted Inarta looked as confused as everyone else. Although Drusilla didn't personally know the accused, they seemed as normal as anyone else. None seemed sinister in any way.

She decided to make her way to Turrin. Drusilla disliked large crowds and she had followed Turrin to the center when he spoke his ideas, and now standing alone in the center of this bizarre event she felt oddly vulnerable and frightened. After the appearance of a god, who knew what else could or would happen. She hurried over to Turrin.
Common|Symenos|Nari|Pavi

My Girls
Drusilla|Lyn'nice|
Piper|
Sioffra
Drusilla
New mother

Words: 272571
Joined roleplay: August 14th, 2010, 6:55 am
Race: Symenestra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Featured Thread (1) Overlored (1)

Postby Kovac on November 18th, 2013, 6:44 pm

Kovac's jaw did not lift to close his mouth during the entire incident. The Avora watched the being as it lorded over the amassed Inartans, delivering its threats and ultimatums. Certainly it was the god. Kovac felt for the poor souls the being addressed, wondering if they were random selections, or persons of interest to the barely corporeal intruder.

"Petching shyke." Kovac muttered under his breath as the wind withdrew from the large chamber, leaving the citizens and leaders of Wind Reach dumbfounded. For the first time in his life, the half-breed felt the frailty of mortals in the hands of the supernatural. Was it coincidence that this new trouble came on the crest of pending disaster? Who was this Despised supposedly among us...someone he knew? Who was this priest portended to arrive? And then, the return of the ...whatever. It made Kovac feel rather small.

The Avora realized he had clutched firmly to both Lavira and Alori, arms around their waist, pulled protectively against him. He looked down to the Endals, his arms relaxing around them. "I want us together as much as possible." Kovac knew he had little say in the matter, they all had duties in these desperate times and would have to go and do whatever was assigned. But otherwise, the suddenly concerned Avora wanted to know Lavira and Alori were safe in light of the new developments. "Alori, I hope you move in, we will want to know you are alright."
Kovac
Snarky Mongrel

Words: 534544
Joined roleplay: March 1st, 2010, 7:19 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Overlored (1)

Postby Azira on November 19th, 2013, 4:17 pm

The figure was so close. A god, a real god, was mere feet away from her. The huntress couldn't believe it, it didn't seem possible. She knew that the gods were real of course but that didn't mean that you expected to see an actual one. Azira stared at the figure in awe, understanding for the first time why some people were so religious; the beings were awe inspiring, and terrifying.

Its words seemed to sink into her mind slowly. Corruption? In Wind Reach? She couldn't imagine such a thing but perhaps it was true. If this god said so then she was certainly willing to believe it. Winds whipped about seeming to show Zulrav's displeasure before they centred on a blonde haired figure in the sea of red. Her heart sank. Marrin. The presence only lingered on him for a moment before moving on but not before the being had inferred that Marrin had done something for the one spreading corruption.

The winds whipped wildly again, making their presence known to a small boy. Apparently he had done something although he was only a child. Surely if these people had helped someone unknowingly then it wasn't their fault. The winds moved on to Syveris and the teen's heart seemed to contract painfully in her chest. The glassworker would never do such a thing intentionally. The god had made a mistake but weren't they supposed to know things that others didn't? Couldn't they see the darkness in the hearts of men that others were blind to? But no, this was Syveris and it was a mistake.

Zulrav announced that he would return for the head of the "Despised" as he called it or his helpers would die then vanished. The silence was pressing as all in the room turned to look at those who had gained the god's attention. Many were glaring at these people, others looking at them in distrust. The crowd had somehow made space for those chosen few, people having pushed against each other for the god to pass to them. The space did not fill now, on the contrary it seemed to widen as if being too close to these corrupted would bring the god's wrath upon others.

Shouldering her way through the crowd, she managed to get to her friend, stepping into the empty space beside her. She was not the only one to have stepped forward to comfort the young woman. Turrin stood beside her with his hand on her shoulder. The huntress nodded to acknowledge the man before turning her attention to Syveris. The woman was staring up at the leaders with a bewildered expression on her face. It was clear that she was clueless about what had just happened to her.

"Sy? Are you all right? What was all that about?" she asked, reaching out to take the young woman's hand. "What's going on?" As she asked, her eyes found Marrin in the crowd, standing alone. Her gaze dropped immediately, the teen unwilling to look at him in case he looked up. She couldn't meet the hunter's gaze, not now. She tried to catch the glassworker's eye instead.

x
4 out of 5 active threads

Azira
Prodigal Daughter

Words: 907811
Joined roleplay: August 31st, 2013, 3:43 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Overlored (1) 2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Lavira on November 30th, 2013, 3:15 am

The deity that had appeared seemed to put the scare in all of the gingers within and without the Inclement, including Vira. The gusting winds made her uneasy as they swirled and swept among them, encircling several throughout the crowd. Vira tried to follow where the misty figure went, but it was impossible, at least until he came to two figures in the mix that she knew.

One was that glassworking apprentice she had helped teach some beginning falconry, and the other was...

"Marrin." Her hand covered her mouth, concern for the mixed blood plain upon her freckled face. Marrin had proven to be an invaluable friend to Vira after what had happened in the baths the day after the storm. That he was now in trouble, and not just possibly with the city, but with a GOD was horrifying! Vira's free hand snaked around Kovac's wrist, pressing against his side for support. But was marrin genuinely in league with this mysterious Despised? And how did Zulrav know? "Guys, we have to help him. He is not a bad man..." she looked pleadingly to her lover and sister.

The wind swept on through the chamber, focusing on a few others before giving them all a final warning and disappearing from the revelry. Vira turned her head towards Alori first, pleading that she agree with them to come and stay, at least through this upset involving the god. The teen would be absolutely devastated if something happened to Alori during all of this. "Gods in Wind Reach again..." She shuddered, remembering the Storm the year before in spring and how much of a hell it had been. The city was still feeling the effects and likely would for a generation or more.

The hand upon Kovac's wrist crept down to return into his hand, clutching it with a sweaty, anxious palm and a silent prayer given to Priskil.

Keep us vigilant, lady of the light. Help us to see who the enemy in our camp is so that we may leave this darkness better than we entered it...
Lavira
Monocular Exception

Words: 596082
Joined roleplay: April 11th, 2013, 7:00 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

PreviousNext