Completed Seeking Answers

(Annalisa) Ricky pays Annalisa a visit at the University.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

Seeking Answers

Postby Ricky Maze on September 25th, 2013, 6:53 am

It was just as he thought of course, the constructive criticism he looked for after a given demonstration. Ricky easily took it to heart as he listened to what Anna told him as far as further practice should be. He paid close attention well enough when she had him follow her to the puddle, his eyes transfixed on the royal blue liquid mixed in with the water. Upon her instruction he gave a nod and held a hand out where his palm would face the puddle, and focused on the Res to return to its origin point as he willed it back into his palm. Sure enough the exhaustion he felt upon its return wore off a little, but only by a small amount, and he looked to see his Res had seeped into the skin of his palm. He took that as a sign that it had been restored within his body and faced Anna once more with interest in his eyes.

As he listened to her explanation on the form Res can take he found his curiosity piqued, the idea of drowing another just as easily a scary but well considered thought at how that could win a battle. If needed he would have to remember to resort to that, so that he may very well turn the tide should he find himself in a dire situation. "I take it the method o' control gets easier when I practice." He pointed out with a firm nod, assured that he would in fact be ready and able to practice this at some point. He had after all gotten past his fear even if it still existed, and maybe with further practice he wouldn't have to fear so much when he gained better control.

He found a little amusement in the fact Anna suddenly decided to just kick back, but seeing as how she was preparing to leave he assumed she was just enjoying the classroom while she still remained. She wanted every small detail he could provide about Shielding, which he could only hope what little he knew would be enough for her standards. "The first time... That's right." He remembered his first shield was on Telion, above the area where her small bump had started to form. He remembered the event so well, so clearly as it surprised him to even be able to do such a thing. Now he just had to put it to words for Anna to have an idea where to start, if she were to attempt to learn this ability too of course.

"Ah, well f'give me if I don't 'ave enough detail t' provide. I'll do me best to tell ya everythin'." He apologized in advance in the event he might've been a let down, and took a seat on the edge of a desk before Anna's. "It started when I was first with me wife, we were t'gether in our room talkin' as I had me hand over the area where the babe'd be." He recalled the feelings he felt in that momemt and took a moment before putting them into words. "I felt a bit stressed and overwhelmed at the time 'cause I've so many I wanna protect, and yet me ability t' do so wasn't as great as I'd wanted it t' be. Them feelin's were f'r the people I cared 'bout so much, and durin' the talk we were 'avin I wished I could just find a way t' keep ev'ryone safe. It was a strong feelin' I had..."

He wondered if he dwelled on that sort of detail too much, then decided if she wanted to hear more about it she would ask afterwards. "Anyway that's when I first made a shield, right over the place where our child rested. Since then I just focus on thoughts that bring peace in mind, sorta like how a place can be a sanctuary when ye're safe." He finished with a hand scratch to the back of his scalp, the blank in his mind grew after he told her about the sanctuary bit. "That's all I can say 'bout this ability, I've only just learned it can absorb magic from ye t'day." He pointed at the black pile earlier as prior explanation to his reference, a shrug to follow as he finished his explanation there.
Journal - Plotnotes - Announcement!
Scrapbook - Shop (Closed)- Vlogs
Credit goes to Fallon for allowing me to temper with her codings! :)
Ricky Maze
"Bottom's up!"

Words: 2035002
Joined roleplay: March 30th, 2011, 9:02 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Trailblazer (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) 2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)
2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Seeking Answers

Postby Annalisa Marin on September 25th, 2013, 9:23 pm

Anna considered his explanation of how Ricky gained the ability to shield carefully, picking apart the concepts behind it based off of previous experience. Magic was often fuelled by powerful feelings and emotions, perhaps shielding was unlocked by such emotions. Judging from Ricky's explanation strong feelings of protectiveness were a path to unlocking the power, probably not the only one but certainly a path open to her at this point.

Anna considered the explanation adequate for her purposes, she could easily explore the possibilities on her own time later. Her mother would likely be less than pleased, but that was just the way things went. Besides, from what little she had heard Shielding was not exactly dangerous and if Ricky had learned it on accident then she could likely learn it from deliberate attempt.

"Magic often can be fueled and manipulated by strong emotions or thoughts, anger, hatred, fear, and love being the stronger ones. However, in contrast, this makes things more dangerous as emotions can quickly get out of hand. Logical thinking needs to balance out the passion, otherwise you could give in to your desires." She affirmed, waving a hand slightly.

She herself had once let her emotions rule her casting, and she more than most knew the price you could pay for such things. Her casting had been wild and untamable, a danger to herself and to other. Ironically, the worship of Rhysol had reigned that in to a more orderly manner of going about magic. Little things like that never ceased to amuse her to some degree or another.

Idly she wondered how the curse she had planted chimes ago would affect the Wave Guard, it would be a shame she wouldn't see the fruits of her labor. Perhaps he would force himself into overgiving, or harm someone close to him. Whatever occurred it was sure to serve Rhysol in one way or another, hopefully in a larger way. Anna had forcefully decided to remain neutral through this conflict, it would not do for her to risk her neck when she could sit on the sidelines and assist in fanning the flames of chaos there.

"I'll no doubt look into this Shielding when I have the time, could be a useful trick to have in reserve. In any event, to further assist you understanding the principles of reimancy know this. Each time you generate res you are removing a piece of your very being from your body. If you give too much you'll do worse than burn out, indeed you may cease to be the person you once were. I know wizards who used to be like you, they usually don't keep their former outlook." She commented.

"You will change if you continue to use magic. Its inevitable, but know that change is not a bad thing. The purest truths are often carried upon the tides of chaos. Don't fight it, accept it." The woman intoned, nodding to herself.

Chaos was often treated as some terrible and evil force, when it was anything but. Chaos was change, and without change things stagnated and remained ever set in old ways. In an ironic and perhaps unintentional way, Rhysol was the father of change and his followers were its catalysts. Order was resolute but stagnant, Chaos flowed freely and uncontrolled as the world was meant to. The evil, well, everyone was entitled to a little dark fun every now and again.

It was a pity that all people saw when they thought of Rhysol was evil, when he was so much more than that. She could see that, but few others allowed their eyes to open wide to the truth. Which was always a pity.
Annalisa Marin
Sorceress of Chaos

Words: 1635951
Joined roleplay: May 19th, 2013, 6:52 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Thread (1) Overlored (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Seeking Answers

Postby Ricky Maze on September 26th, 2013, 4:00 am

It rather surprised Ricky that what little he could provide appeared to be enough for Anna, but it made all the more sense that his emotion is what allowed him to accidently create his first shield. The emotion was well enough to call such power out now, one look at his hands and Ricky could've sworn the memory alone allowed him to mold another shield. Although there was nothing but the skin of his palms he still felt it were possible, thus Anna's point with emotions and magic was all the more made as she explained that part to Ricky. "Maybe it's cause o' the sense o' safety I feel when I make them." It was a possible and logical explanation as he did after all need a calm mind filled with thoughts of safety, those where just the incatations (as he referred them) he needed in order to get into the mindset though. If what Anna said was true then by Ricky's very nature, these sheilds were probably fueled more so on feeling as well as Djed.

"Teh. Of all the times I wonder 'bout magic, here I am thinkin' on its possible fundaments and whatnot." The thought amused him greatly as he listened to Anna further, a bit of an ironic feel came to be known when she talked about how it changes the user. Of course the gravity of seriousness this discussion held wasn't ignored either, nor did Ricky disregard it upon hearing for that matter. The idea that change would come from further use scared him, as did many other things in life. Yet magic by far had many drawbacks that could change a person, and it was the worst changes possible he feared incredibly well. Yet the irony behind it all was that several years ago he wouldn't have even considered using such abilities if given to him, but here he was now literally discussing them and learning of ways to efficiently use them.

"It's not the change that'll scare me, but what I may become." He mumbled with a perplexed look in his eyes, which they shifted from the floor to Anna right then. She had clearly changed so much, whether it was due to the years or magic wad unknown though. Ricky could only assume it was both in this case, as she was in fact no longer the one small girl that wielded a stick, as though it were her true sword that would help her become the greatest warrior. "Thank ya, Anna. I've learned a lot t'day thanks t' ya." He stood straight up and stretched a little, his hands slightly twitched as he nervously ran a hand through his short hair. "Keepin' me family safe is all I care 'bout right now, even if I want t' help the city be free fr'm them Denval scum." There was already bitterness in his voice but more so a strong desire within the words, the desire to keep the ones he loved safe from the danger that plagued the streets.

"I s'ppose I should b' off then, let ya finish what business ye 'ave left." He planted his hands in his pocket trousers, and allowed Anna the moment to say anything else before he decided to leave.
Ricky Maze
"Bottom's up!"

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Seeking Answers

Postby Annalisa Marin on September 27th, 2013, 4:51 am

Ricky's answer was understandable, few openly welcomed the possibility that they might become a twisted version of their former selves. Few wanted to imagine what laid beyond the dark mirror, the evil that people were capable of and the depths of depravity to which they could fall. Anna of all people knew just how far and hard people could fall, she also knew how very liberating it was once one let go of the constraints of morality. Even someone like Ricky could fall from grace, if the wizard had more time in Zeltiva she would certainly welcome the chance to see how far he could fall.

His desire to keep his family safe, for instance, could likely be twisted to suit the needs of chaos. It could also break him if he lost said family, tragedy always had a wonderful way of destroying a person and making them easier to mold and shape. He was so very vulnerable, yet seemed to not even realize it. It was amusing in a way, it was a shame she wouldn't be around long enough to push him one way or another.

A smirk was firmly on her face as he looked ready to depart and leave her to her previous business. Time was certainly a concern, no doubt he wanted to be certain of his family's security as well. The Denvali were unlikely to directly target his family, but in this chaos and confusion one never knew what was going to happen. News was slow to travel as it was, people were locking themselves up and throwing away the key to sit things out. Anna, for her part, was going to be leaving the city entirely in order to both escape the turmoil and to start over elsewhere.

"Ricky, allow me to leave you with this thought. Magic is a tool, a dangerous tool and one that tempts you every time you use it, but a tool nonetheless. Control it, never let it control you or shape you. Curiosity and interest are healthy, obsession is not." She said with an affirmative nod.

A dangerous glint found its way into her grey eyes as they fell fully upon the Wave Guard, intense and chaotic. Her smirk remain, but seemed somehow more dark than it had been before.

"If you need any further help, seek out my home near the University. You look like you could use a bit of release for your pent up stress, I guarantee you I know just as many ways to show a man a good time as those whores at the Loveless." She offered, chuckling low.

He was a married man, unlikely to accept the offer in this life or any other due to his misguided loyalty to such a fragile bond. The offer was more to prick at him and get under his skin, a method to amuse herself. It was also a subtle invitation for him to seek her out if he needed something else, though there was always a price in dealing with a wizard. Always a hidden manipulation when dealing with a Chaon.

Idly, the wizard plucked an odd document from the desk and examined it, quickly losing interest in the Wave Guard as she examined the papers for evidence to eradicate. Her gaze flicked up to Ricky.

"You may leave now." She stated, a clear dismissal, with an wave of her free had that could only be described as imperious.
Annalisa Marin
Sorceress of Chaos

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Seeking Answers

Postby Ricky Maze on September 30th, 2013, 2:22 am

With Anna able to give a little more advice about magic Ricky's brow furrowed as he contemplated on the initial thoughts that followed, the wonder if he could better control his abilities after much hard practice made the idea seem all the more plausible. It was an arguable situation at best as Ricky still had to consider just how much he was in control, which judging by today's practice he still held a strong will but weak discipline in terms of this power. Anna's lessons today were all the more proof of this, thus Ricky honestly found himself at a standing point for compromise in this situation.

With the note on curiosity and obsession taken well Ricky nodded and prepared to head out until Anna had further things to say, which in turn angered him a little as he found the impression of the idea she gave a poor one to choose. He was indeed a married man who wouldn't dare risk breaking such vows with his wife, the woman that he fell in love with after a long history they shared together and yet he never really knew inside. Not until they finally wound up together. "O' course she would say somethin' like that." He frowned a bit as he received the message well, well enough to guess that her motives would go much further than to simply help him. Whether she joked to him about sleeping together or not he pretty much had what he needed, thus his opinions on Anna alone had completely taken a different turn after today.

Sure enough she did help him but it would be more so for her own gain, she did after all want to know how he picked up on Shielding. Evidently it could be described as I'll scratch your back if you scratch mine type of deal, but Ricky felt there was something more to it than just that principle. Thus he simply shrugged and kept calm before heading out the door, with a response to her suggestion as mere courtesy for their meeting today. "I'll keep that in mind Anna." He nodded as he said this to provide further assurance behind the words, yet he still held a blank expression as he merely gave one final look to her. Anna was different and he could see it now, his eyes had been opened to the truth well enough to where he could be aware. Thus any further interaction with her would be measured carefully, lest she decided to actually do something that would ruin him in the long run.

Upon her dismissal Ricky didn't wait any longer than he'd have to in order to leave, once he was out the door he found that even in a place of danger once more there was relief. Strange but true; Anna somehow started to get under the reaches of his skin, thus easily change Ricky's very own opinion of her in the short time they interacted together. Now the guard was alert and wary as he made his way back through the University, and on the way to the Old Quarter to return to his home.
Ricky Maze
"Bottom's up!"

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Seeking Answers

Postby Annalisa Marin on October 1st, 2013, 4:07 am

After Ricky left the classroom Anna allowed herself to stare idly at the ceiling musing to herself on much a similar topic as Rick had. She had indeed changed in many ways, though Ricky, indeed most people probably didn't fully grasp the degree of change. Her mind was a blur of wild musings of near insanity, curious desires that occasionally and inconveniently popped up during situations. It was a clear indication that staying in Zeltiva was not good for her continued mental health, as the combination of her mark's influence and overgiving were not a good mix. The state of affairs in the city was certainly not helping matters.

Anna liked to think that most of the changes to her were positive in nature, at least to her. She was vastly more powerful than many a wizard in Zeltiva, not just because of her near prodigal grasp of magic but because of the blessing of her god Rhysol. Power like that needed to be built upon, no matter what protests Ricky or her mother might have to the matter. Rhysol demanded chaos, lies, and betrayal from his followers and Anna fully intended to fulfill that edict. The more power she gained, the better she could serve him.

A fit of coughing fell over her as she returned her attention to the documents, the parting gift from her near house fire a week back. It had messed up her flow a little in regards to casting, so she mostly refrained from drawing upon her res just in case. Besides, she had other ways of holding her attention.

Her mother had promised to assist her in an experiment regarding Spiritism yesterday, an exciting prospect as Anna had yet to create soul mist for a ghost to use. It was something of a surprise, as Liana had been adamantly against magic use in the recent past. Perhaps she was curious despite herself, or perhaps she was just humoring her daughter. Either way it was a win for Anna as she had been intending to try something like this for some time.

The wizard considered Ricky's words, amused that he wanted to protect his family. She'd seen how he'd treated his wife, as some kind of equal partner in a loving relationship. Anna could never have that, she needed to dominate and control, to own and possess. If there was ever anyone she regarded to the degree of a true lover she'd force them to be hers, whether they wanted it or not. She loathed sharing anything with anyone, which was often a point of contention with her mother.

Ricky would likely learn one day, especially if continued to use magic. He'd change and Anna hoped her little curse would point him in the proper direction of where his change needed to go.
Annalisa Marin
Sorceress of Chaos

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Seeking Answers

Postby Edreina on March 24th, 2014, 1:36 am

Ricky

Skill Points
SkillPoints
Shielding+1XP
Reimancy+3XP
Rhetoric+1XP

Lores Gained
  • Annalisa: Less than knowledgeable about Shielding
  • Wizards: A fickle bunch to be handled with care
  • "The Restricted Section" of the Library, not for Waveguards
  • Reimancy: The Art of Attraction
  • Reimancy: Res Can Be Liquid or Gas
  • Magic is a Tool, Forged by Emotion, Tempered by Logic

Notes
Wonderful thread! I enjoyed seeing Ricky's approach to magic compared to Annalisa's. I hope he continues to pursue the arcane arts!

Annalisa Marin

Skill Points
SkillPoints
Reimancy+1XP
Teaching+3XP
Rhetoric+2XP

Lores Gained
  • Ricky: Shielder
  • Contribution to Chaos: Cursing Ricky
  • Ricky: Water Reimancer
  • Shielding: Driven by the Need to Protect

Notes
A pleasure to read, as always, Anna. You received a point in Reimancy despite using only a little at a basic level because she learned the strength of her power and how it interacts with Shielding.

~Be sure to let me know if I missed anything or if you have any questions!

Please be sure to edit your grade request!
~
Edreina
Unbound

Words: 1079180
Joined roleplay: March 18th, 2013, 1:40 am
Race: Human, Svefra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Lore Author (1) Artist (1)
Overlored (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Previous