Award Tydus Tempest is Aprils Featured Character!

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

IC News travels slowly in Mizahar. Fortunately there is a constant stream of news from around campfires, from caravan to caravan and from merchants to merchants. Within this forum lies the best of the best of this talk. Also, within this forum, OOC news from the staff and players can be found. This forum requires all posts to be 'approved' by a Founder before they are displayed. So if you post within, be patient. Your post did display - it simply will not show to everyone until approved as actual 'news'. Please keep all Introductions, Status Updates, and various other discussions in their appropriate forums and leave this area for game news!

Tydus Tempest is Aprils Featured Character!

Postby Gossamer on April 1st, 2014, 8:51 pm

Hello Fellow Mizaharians!

Keeping with our tradition, the Founders Circle and Regional Storytellers are proud to announce that the Featured Character of the Month April 2014 is Tydus Tempest! Tydus is a new player, just recently on the scene, but is none-the-less a standout among the newbies having rallied and and organized his own pod and brought others into his RP Group. Please take a moment to read his interview below and congratulate him on this prestigious award.

The Interview

1. When you create a new character, what is your thought process behind crafting a new personality? Do you take inspiration from things around you, concepts you’ve always wanted to explore, or are there other methods involved?

My characters generally aren't finished until I have several different situations where I have already played them in. I choose the qualities that I want the character to base in. For example, with Tydus, I pictured manipulation and addiction. But, I didn't realize the extent or the direction I really wanted to take those ideas until I began to thread with him.

2. How much does your PC relate to yourself? Can you relate to them at all?

How does Tydus relate to me? I see Tydus as completely separate from myself. My drunken side, if anything. I can't imagine myself throwing myself about to every such women like Tydus does when sober, or drowning myself at the end of a bottle like he does, but I know how both situations feel. I've been there, and I don't want to be there again. It's a grim fate. If anything,

3. Many people struggle to get their PCs to be the way they picture them in their head. Is Ty how you pictured him? What ways did he diverge? Do you like the differences or are you constantly fighting against them?

Tydus is much, much better than I originally pictured. I threw in this idea, as I said before, manipulation and addiction. But I couldn't imagine Tydus manipulating himself before I started to delve deeper into his past. Since he's a product of his Pod, a lot of the ideas were worked with Kel and Callipsia (primarily), and then threads I had with him had me bouncing ideas about with Adney (since him and I are close friends outside of Mizahar) and it resulted in what I call the Tydus Template. The idea of who he is and where he'll be. But, I don't really plan out threads more than half of a season ahead of where I am, so it's always bound to change and transform. At the very base, Tydus is who he is, but there's a malleability in how he will be in the near future that I love. I'm throwing him into the ocean and seeing what he catches.

4. Did you as a player do any particular writing type workshops when you created the PC or even at post creation. And what kind? How did that help your PC or hinder them? If you didn’t do any, are you planning on doing so?

Not... really. Writing workshops, for me, involve hammering out a set plan and firing off ideas in a very structured arrangement. For me, it doesn't fit because I prefer my inspiration to flow organically. In truth, the Pod and Tydus in particular don't have a particular structure for what we're going to do. We throw ideas about, but if something better comes up, we switch bases in a flash. At times, it can be problematic *laughs*, but it's also very Svefra at its base. We go where Laviku carries us and where Zulrav's winds direct us.

5. What's the one situation you couldn't imagine your character in? Why not?

I can't imagine Tydus in a situation where he's in complete control of his life. He's very much a follower type, even when he knows he has to lead. He's incapable of being in the position of leadership both because of his Svefra upbringing, but also because of his nature as a manipulator brought on by his induction into Hypnotism. He has his Pod's best interests at heart, and will subtly defy authority or argue with Lias (both past and present) in order to justify his beliefs, but if he was put in the driver's seat and steer the Pod everyone, he'd be incapable of it. It's a complicated, and rather hypocritical aspect of who he is, but he cowers from an authoritative position while wishing to be listened to. He believes himself to be fit only for an advisory position, which is an aspect of him born from his Hypnotic influence, as well.

6. If your PC lived in the real world, what sort of modern profession would they have and why?

Tydus has a head for business and gambling, a mind geared towards drinking and manipulation, and a soul geared towards potential self-torment and a love for women that very much spins to be rather spiteful. I'd bet on him putting himself at the Vegas poker table for a profession and see how well he does, honestly. Women serving him drinks, chips thrown across the table, liquor served by the pitcher. It sounds very like a very Tydus kind of life.

7. If you could list Ty’s deepest desires, what would they be and why?

Not cool. The Ranuri approach. This has already happened to him :| His deepest desires are very, VERY different from the ones he expresses. His real wants and needs are pushed away by the decimation of his Pod and how he personally is handling the grief, which is far worse than the rest of his surviving brethren. His deepest desires are to see his Pod prosper again, to see those around him happy and care-free. His heart is, really, selfless, but it's numbed by the liquor he incessantly pours down his throat in order to cast another day into the sweet, black embrace of obscurity. No one really sees it because he does so on his own time in rare moments of sobriety, and pushes away those that try to close in on him.

8. You single-handedly organized a Svefra Pod in game and recruited successfully members to this pod. How did you go about doing so and what was your secret to success? Many people try to recruit family over and over again and fail miserably. You made it look easy. Please share some of your success secrets.

This was by no means single-handed! Kel was a very, very big part in the creation and expansion of the Pod. Him and I created the concept of two brother Svefra, and it tidal waved into this huge thing. Him and I talked it out for a few days before actually making the character, then as we researched the Svefra more, we decided that the idea of a Pod is completely essential to the PC's growth and mental stability. Ideas sprung forth from there, we threw out advertisements in the chat, recruited Callipsia who we already knew... And people just liked it. I can't say that I single-handedly did anything because this is a group effort. I'm just the voice of the Pod, like Ty is :P

9. When writing for your PC, what is the most difficult aspect of your PC’s personality to convey? What is the easiest?

For me, it's difficult to portray Tydus as the decent person that I know he is. It's so hidden away under his other personal problems and the mask that he wears around everyone except for Vesh that it becomes almost unseen. The only times it comes out is when he shows concern for people, which is very uncommon, but it's there.

The easiest part is, by far, his flirtateous side. It's very present, very out there, and extremely amusing to portray, especially when it doesn't succeed. I try my best to balance Tydus, but he's very much the flirtateous type until he's pushed into something grander.

10. Does Ty have an arch nemesis? And if so, who is that and why? If not, what would his arch nemesis be like?

He does not. Tydus does his utmost to remain friendly with all sorts, but there are some he despises. For example, Kavala :P For now, he hates her because she insulted the Pod, namely him and Kel. It's very possible for that to change, as Tydus only holds grudges against himself, but for the moment, she's the closest I can consider to being his nemesis.

11. This question is for you, a soapbox if you will, to jump up on and preach to the choir. What would you like to tell the PBASE now that you have their undivided attention? Do you have anything else to share with them?

I do!

I'd just love to tell all of you that I'm glad to have the Pod so well received in Riverfall and the interest in parts beyond. The intention was never to cause a huge thing, but I guess it turned into that, and it's so much more than welcome. Anyone who wishes to join or associate in anyway with the Pod as a collective please post in our Consortia thread!

But, more than anything, thank you all for just being awesome ^.^ This community is absolutely lovely and I'm glad that something that I did can in anyway impact it. I love you all!

~Tempest out.
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6357243
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Congratulations! Tydus Tempest is April's Ft. Character!

Postby Nyxie Nadira Draer on April 1st, 2014, 9:06 pm

Congrats, Ty~! :D

Definitely a well-deserved award, my friend. Keep up the awesomeness, and I look forward to reading more of the Tempests' adventures!

P.S. The arch-nemesis question was mine :P
Nyxie Nadira Draer
slaver & swindler

Words: 111204
Joined roleplay: December 14th, 2013, 3:05 am
Race: Human, Svefra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Contributor (1) Artist (1)

Postby Wanda Endust on April 1st, 2014, 9:09 pm

Whoo! Congratz, Ty. :) Definitely very well deserved, and a great interview.
Wanda Endust
Searching for purpose.

Words: 178647
Joined roleplay: May 18th, 2013, 6:10 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Artist (1)

Postby Xira Hezmek on April 1st, 2014, 9:13 pm

I definitely agree! The character is so fascinating and intriguing, I really enjoy reading your threads. Not to mention that it is no small feat to have a successful in character group, you and the rest of the Tempests should be very proud of yourselves and what you have accomplished thus far. :)
Dear Graders: I collect location lore!
Xira Hezmek
Here's the mail it never fails.

Words: 227264
Joined roleplay: November 29th, 2013, 9:38 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Garret Sawyer on April 1st, 2014, 9:14 pm

Great read Tydus, can't think of anyone who deserves it more.
Definitely keeping an eye out for what you pesky Svefra get up to :D
Dead before bowed.
Fallon, I didn't thread because I was scared you would kill Garret, I know the rules perfectly. It was simply because I didn't like you, when I logged on and saw a bunch of veterans complaining that they couldImage not find threads and newbies should approach them because they are so much better us new people, I just thought one thing. What a bunch of cunts.

The Broken Shackles
Garret Sawyer
You got gold? Good, who do you want dead?

Words: 114969
Joined roleplay: November 24th, 2013, 10:24 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Reven Heath on April 1st, 2014, 9:23 pm

Woot! Go Ty! Congratulations!!!
Reven Heath
Happy memories.

Words: 213556
Joined roleplay: February 3rd, 2014, 2:26 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Orabelle Deepseeker on April 1st, 2014, 9:40 pm

Yay! Go Tempest!
Fratavan|Common|Thoughts

"A Svefra never goes back on their word... never."
Orabelle Deepseeker
Nobody Special

Words: 107184
Joined roleplay: December 26th, 2013, 6:23 pm
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby None on April 1st, 2014, 9:42 pm

Congrats
Adversity is like a strong wind. It tears away from us all but the things that cannot be torn, so that we see ourselves as we really are.
None
Player

Words: 10160
Joined roleplay: March 27th, 2014, 6:53 pm
Race: Ghost

Postby Eleazar Victor Syroin on April 1st, 2014, 9:54 pm

Looking forward to seeing what sort of trouble the pod gets up to. Best of luck to all of you! :D
14/14
Fast feet and an unsound mind make a man fly.
Eleazar Victor Syroin
Ownership is a matter of Opinion

Words: 154090
Joined roleplay: December 24th, 2013, 11:13 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Kendhl Pilkvist on April 1st, 2014, 10:29 pm

Tempest.

Congrats! :D
Kendhl Pilkvist
The Lonely Ghost

Words: 52800
Joined roleplay: July 14th, 2013, 11:51 pm
Race: Ghost
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Next