Using Shielding to Hunt

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Moderators: Liaisons, Assistant Storytellers, Regional Storytellers, Domain Storytellers

Using Shielding to Hunt

Postby Bitt on April 15th, 2014, 7:51 am

Hello Mizahar,

I am currently in the process of planning out an alt, and was curious as to the potential application of shielding being used to trap animals.

E.G. A Shielder erects a 3x3x3 cube of a shield in a location. Then, using a dear hide as a focus, the shielder biologically tasks the shield to 'prevent dear from exiting the shields boundaries'. So anything could enter the shield, and anything could leave it except dear, which would find themselves trapped.

I am curious if this breaks the 'shields must be used defensively' rule in the lore. The shields themselves aren't actually hurting the dear, and it would be up to the shielder to come back and kill it with a bow, knife, whatever.

My question is: Is the above example a lore-friendly application of Shielding?

Kind regards,

Bitt

"Bitt's Speech" | Bitt's Thoughts | NPC

Signature Credits: Yuri
Bitt
The Squire

Words: 115508
Joined roleplay: March 24th, 2014, 9:33 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Donor (1)

Using Shielding to Hunt

Postby Ricky Maze on April 24th, 2014, 4:34 am

Hi there Bitt!

First off a little something to note about Shielding, it is actually a Personal Magic that works with a sort of "layering" effect. What you're imagining there is created a barrier in a area of space, where as there's really nothing to have the shield physically layer down on. As far as tasking the shield you'd have to be a competent shielder in order to do that, even then the work put into tasking them can be tricky, as it requires specific detail upon what you task to keep out.

Hope this helped! If you have any more questions then ask away. :)
Journal - Plotnotes - Announcement!
Scrapbook - Shop (Closed)- Vlogs
Credit goes to Fallon for allowing me to temper with her codings! :)
Ricky Maze
"Bottom's up!"

Words: 2035002
Joined roleplay: March 30th, 2011, 9:02 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Trailblazer (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) 2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)
2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Using Shielding to Hunt

Postby Gossamer on April 24th, 2014, 4:40 am

You are assigning more intelligence to a shield than one actually has. You can't exactly task it to let something in but not something out. IT either blocks something or it doesn't. So in the example above, if you tasked the shield to block a biological like hide, it would not allow hide to pass... in or out.

See the issue?
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6357243
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Using Shielding to Hunt

Postby Bitt on May 5th, 2014, 7:51 am

Thank you both for the answers! So a shield's properties are identical regardless of 'side'. Ricky, you're answer regarding the layering confused me slightly. I was under the impression that shields were there own, three-dimensional structures.

For example in this location thread is written:

"The front room of the shop is open, allowing anyone to walk in through that entrance (there is no door there, just an empty frame), though the first room in entirely barren except for traces of rat feces and cobwebs. The next room is also without a door, but trying to move through it is met with sudden halt of movement. The entire room is heavily shielded from everything, except Doler himself, meaning he alone can come and go."

There's is nothing in the doorway, but the shield still stands. Or is it perhaps that at least a portion of a shield needs to be 'anchored' to something, be it a wall, the ground, a person, etc. and a shield can't be made to just hover in mid-air, for example?

"Bitt's Speech" | Bitt's Thoughts | NPC

Signature Credits: Yuri
Bitt
The Squire

Words: 115508
Joined roleplay: March 24th, 2014, 9:33 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Donor (1)

Using Shielding to Hunt

Postby Gale Austin McCenry on May 13th, 2014, 2:50 pm

I actually have no idea about your question Bitt, and I've probably learned more about shielding through your question than you did (Since my knowledge about shielding is 0), but I wanted to bump the thread to see if someone could help clarify your question, seeing as it wasn't answered.

At least not here... If it was answered in chat or something then ignore me. ^_^'
Gale Austin McCenry
McPainty

Words: 701701
Joined roleplay: May 6th, 2012, 2:25 am
Blog: View Blog (1)
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 6
Featured Contributor (1) Mizahar Mentor (1)
Artist (1) Peer Reviewer (1)
Overlored (1) Trash Medal (1)

Using Shielding to Hunt

Postby Ricky Maze on May 13th, 2014, 4:19 pm

Whoop! Sorry that this answer is do late, I must've missed responding to it earlier.

Shieldings layer effect is actually what you could say is used here, there being no actual door the shield itself is layered to cover the doorway. From my perspective about that location it would seem the shield serves as the door, its task meant to keep out certain people. (though the task itself is unknown)

So in a way yes shields would need an "anchor" if you were to place them over a doorway or window, and cannot be generated into thin air. :) Hope this helps!
Journal - Plotnotes - Announcement!
Scrapbook - Shop (Closed)- Vlogs
Credit goes to Fallon for allowing me to temper with her codings! :)
Ricky Maze
"Bottom's up!"

Words: 2035002
Joined roleplay: March 30th, 2011, 9:02 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Trailblazer (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) 2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)
2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)