Open [The Syliras Theater] Opening Night

Anyone welcome to join

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

[The Syliras Theater] Opening Night

Postby Oriah on August 13th, 2014, 7:05 pm

Oriah's eyes had lit at the heartfelt words that poured from Jovhel's consciousness. She was caught off guard at first as his compliments at her dancing, having almost forgotten what it felt like to have an audience, but his adamant assurance in the validity of her decisions made the squire smile from ear to ear.

The younger Benshira evoked feelings of nostalgia and kinship so poignant it made her heart ache. Oriah had spent years facing the frequent disapproval of her elders; even the younger members of their Tent eventually shied aware from her whenever she did something conspicuous. Her interpretations of Yahal's teachings had often made the others uncomfortable. Their lives were rather ascetic amidst the harsh sands of the Eyktol and few had either time or energy to go about re-evaluating their ways. Tradition was tradition. Life was difficult enough as it was without philosophical meddling.

But she had wanted to meddle. Not because the dancer didn't value or respect her people's way of life, but because she felt the constant chafing of ill-fitting rules that no one else in her Tent seemed to experience. After realizing she seemed to be the only one who felt this way, it didn't take long for Oriah to decide to strike out on her own. She loved her home, and her people even more so, but at some point the young woman was forced to admit her Tent could no longer offer what she needed.

And now she was here. A season traveler, and a squire too, no less. Sitting in Theater Square about to see a performance that would have never taken place anywhere near her old Tent, with company she would have never otherwise met. Oriah had always wondered what it would be like to have a brother, and Jovhel's presence eased more than a little of her curiosity. They seemed incredibly alike in both spirit and mind. Syna touched, as some in her past had referred to such sunny dispositions.

Marrick would like him, she mused to herself.

It was no wonder that she had bumped into Lissa as bodily as she did.

Oriah caught the hushed gratitude from Jovhel to Lissa after the girl had staked her claim on their seats and couldn't helping adding one of her own. "Nicely done!" the squire grinned beside their new friend's ear.

As Jovhel made his own, enthusiastic introductions, the elder Benshira kept an eye out on the stage, a pleasant niggling of anticipation dancing about in her stomach. Then both Benshiras sat in quiet but eager attention, ready to hear how Lissa had come about being in Theater Square this auspicious night.

"Was that man able to sell you something?" Oriah threw in a question of her own, unable to help herself. "His wares were so pretty, but a squire like me has no use for such things, sadly."

It wasn't long after their introductions that a general hush fell about the audience. People began settling comfortably into their seats, and somewhere somehow the lights began to dim. Oriah craned her neck and was able to catch a glimpse of someone snuffing out several of the torches and candles. After a few more moments, the only main source of lighting left was the one on stage, illuminating a thick set of velvet curtains and the rich umber of wooden floorboards.

"Look, I think it's starting!" she whispered to her compatriots, a flutter of excitement passing through her body.

"Common"
"Shiber"
Oriah
Never Stray

Words: 364847
Joined roleplay: December 5th, 2013, 5:06 am
Race: Human, Benshira
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Featured Thread (1)

Postby Noah Amuel on August 13th, 2014, 8:12 pm

occMind if I join? (I am not stalking you, Oriah. I swear >_> <_<)

Noah dusted off his chest having being nudged hard enough to lose his balance and fall torso first onto the theater floor. It wasn't the view he had intended on having when he decided to attend opening night but fate had chosen differently for him. He had been abused since the night began despite the jovial air around him. However, he was shoved and jarred whenever he took a turn. It was entirely possible it was because he wasn't walking the pace of the crowd around him. He had received angry stares from the patron whose path he was in.

He managed to take a peek at the dancers that opened before the show to get the audience in mood for the theatrics that were to take place in mere moments. Though, there wasn't a seat to be found except for those by strangers and the like. He wasn't encouraged to continue putting himself out in the world socially if this would become a normal occurance. Noah realized he knew no one as a friend or those he would be comfortable calling "friend" and he was doubtful this was the place to find such a person.

In fact, he was tempted to take flight here, transforming into the giant eagle he was and returning to the Bronze Woods where comfort was sure to be. He shook his head at the doubts and shouted away the thoughts. In the recent letter he received from his mother, where she was checking on his health -- mentally, physically, and socially -- she encouraged him to seek companionship, preferably Kelvic companionship, but companionship nonetheless. He wrote back promising to do so. All she wanted was him to bring home a nice girl the next time he returned to Zeltiva for a visit. In truth, it wasn't something at the top of his agenda but it was there, admittedly.

Noah's eyes noticed the dimming of the lights as torches and candles were snuffed out by the theater's staff. The show was starting and he was standing in the middle of the aisle, very much out of place. Quickly, with eyes sharp as the eagle he turned into, he scanned for an empty seat. There were many scattered throughout the crowd, however they were all uncomfortably close to other patrons who obviously had someone to talk to.
Good he thought. This way he would have to talk to anyone. Then he winced -- it defeated the purpose of even coming here if there was no one to talk to him. It was too late to turn back now though. He quickly shuffled to a seat on the end of a row, across the aisle from a talkative threesome.

Speech | Thoughts | Fratavan | Eagle
Noah Amuel
Zulrav's Golden Eagle

Words: 295310
Joined roleplay: January 20th, 2014, 9:25 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Lissa Maze on August 19th, 2014, 3:00 am

Lissa Maze

OOCI am so so sorry about disappearing—something (no idea what, I’m terrible with computers) happened and my laptop had to be shipped to the company for repairs, I was cut off from extended non-essential computer use. So sorry about that—writing a probably short and clumsy reply now in hopes of un-stalling thread progress.
The satisfaction of claiming seats lingered for a few moments as the trio settled in, nourished by the comments from the other two. As the theater rushed towards filling, Lissa glanced around, noting the others. A few people she recognized, mostly in a distant way—the sort of recognition that happens between people who walk up the same street at the same time every day, or see one another in the course of buying food, but never interact beyond that. Seeing nobody familiar, the girl turned her attention back to her two new acquaintances as Johvel spoke to her. Lissa turned to him, smiling in reply—it was, after all, always nice to meet people—before speaking.

”I guess I was,” she replied, still smiling. ”You know how it is—a night when you’re not tired and you don’t want to sit at home alone, and the theater is such a nice place to be. And,” she continued, pleased with how the evening had been going, ”sometimes things like this happen—meeting new people, I mean. And seeing new things! Your dancing was lovely,” the girl added, including Oriah in the statement. ”It didn’t look like what they usually do here, though. Where did you learn that? Did you know each other before tonight?—I mean, you must have practiced that.” Surely nobody could dance so smoothly, making all those turns and shapes, without practice.

Finally finished with her own barrage of questions, Lissa guiltily remembered all but plowing through one from Oriah. She’d seen her with the merchant? He had been near the front, she remembered, and with the light making all his wares glitter he’d been easy to notice. [b]”The merchant—his things were pretty,”
she agreed wistfully. ”I love looking at things like that, until I learn the price.” She made a face, knowing how often this happened to most people—a squire, she thought, might not have much more money than her. ”I can’t—well, shouldn’t, which is the same things really—spend so much on a groom’s salary. The horses won’t like me any less for lack of a bracelet.” She didn’t say that human style was one of those things that she thought even smart horses couldn’t be trusted with. They were beautiful, but horses seemed to think that snuffling all over a new blouse was a good idea, a mindset with which she couldn’t quite agree.

The theater began to lose the light of torches, and Lissa felt the familiar surge of anticipation at Oriah’s comment. Out of the corner of her eye, she saw a less prepared theater-goer in the aisle. She almost called out to him that there was a spare seat near her group, but the lights had been all put out and the theater was quiet—too quiet to call out, even with the best of intentions. She saw him slip into a seat at the end of their row before turning her attention to the stage, even leaning a tiny bit forward as the first performer entered the stage.

To all my threading partners: So many apologies for my major slowness, I'm being absolutely crushed by a college/health combo right now. I will be back as soon as possible and will try to keep up with any group threads. For one-on-one threads, I'll try to get back and catch up soon, but am not sure when exactly that will be.
Lissa Maze
Dreamer

Words: 35595
Joined roleplay: April 29th, 2014, 4:42 am
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Jovhel on August 28th, 2014, 3:47 am

OOCI'm so sorry, my absence was so irresponsible and it's my fault. School has just started for me and I've been so busy. I was too tired to write more than a handful of sentences at a time. This is everything I could come up with during that time. It isn't much, far from it. But I'm back and I promise I'll try harder to be more active and efficient with my time and energy.
Jovhel silently pondered Lissa’s comments. He went out to look for friends more often than he should. Living by himself caused the Citadel felt so lonely, even with all the people around. "I see what you mean, coming home with no one to greet or wait for can be so disappointing." Though the boy felt more heartbreak than disappointment recalling opening the door to his home every night. But the independence was worth the price of the pain, in his mind.

He was brought out of his pondering and straight into a humble one. “Thank you. I’ve known how to dance this way since I was a child. We all did, though, even people from different places could dance in synchronization with us. It was just something we did. And Oriah and I have really just met.” He beckoned to Oriah for something along the lines of moral support, “But dance with each other? Never. Yahal had graced us with practice before we got to dance with one another.” A shallow laugh followed.

Now the torches have been dimmed leaving embers and moonlight to illuminate the audience. The professional dancers took their light on the stage. Jovhel gave them his full attention, half trying to keep tabs on his new friends just in case they had something to say.

The dancers themselves were very talented people. It was obvious that they had practiced this routine very well, it was much more complex than the choreography they had invited Oriah to join
into. Graceful fouettés, calypso leaps, jetées all performed in perfection, all exquisitely accompanied by a flute and harp. The elegant performance under the open evening air created a unique mood to make one forget their work, responsibilities, obligations.
Last edited by Jovhel on August 29th, 2014, 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Common | Shiber | Tawna | Thoughts
Jovhel
Player

Words: 18830
Joined roleplay: August 5th, 2014, 8:22 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Garland on August 28th, 2014, 5:49 am

Garland pushed through the crowd and into the theater proper, the theater was dark and silent. He was late and finding a seat would be hard, but not impossible. He walked down the aisle, looking for a seat. The show had started, and the dancers moved onto the stage.

He walked back up the aisle and looked for a seat at the back. The dancers were graceful enough to keep the entire audience captivated. A potential theft might make short work of less expecting patrons. He kept an eye out for a seat and any suspicious person out there.

He looked up at the stage. The dancer were doing feats that Garland thought were impossible, movements so fluid and carefree but all of them are synced perfectly.

OOCMind if I join?
Garland
A Father First, A Squire Second

Words: 687461
Joined roleplay: August 24th, 2014, 2:02 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 2
Overlored (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Oriah on September 3rd, 2014, 10:07 pm

oochere are my own apologies for being delayed, and don't worry guys. It always gets busy this time of year so take your time, and welcome Garland!

Oriah listened and nodded along as Lissa spoke, knowing full well what the young woman meant. The squire herself felt the same way many a night, but training under Sera Mora had it's clear limitations, making this recent trip back into the city proper a rare treat indeed. Knowing there were no guarantees as to whether a similar trip could be made anytime soon in the near future, Oriah soaked up her free time and fine company as much as she could.

She opened her mouth to correct Lissa on assuming they'd danced with each other before, but Jovhel was quicker. The older Benshira found herself in a bit of a philosophical mood that night, first contemplating the serendipity of their meeting and now musing how, in a sense, she and Jovhel had practiced together. Only it was through the blood of their people, pass down generation after generation and true in strength despite any amount of physical distance.

Oriah supposed that was what made tradition so powerful. And while she chafed against some of the rigid rules her elders had preached, there was no denying even on her part that such things were vital to their culture.

All too soon, however, the show had begun. Several people were still taking their seats, but it wasn't long before the entire audience was silence and attentive. Since the candles and torches had dimmed, there wasn't much the squire could see besides the stage. But she could've sworn she caught a glimpse of a familiar face somewhe--

Oh, how splendid! One of the dancers had just executed a marvelously complex series of moves, causing many in the audience to gasp in surprise and appreciation. Oriah clapped enthusiastically along with the rest, everything else entirely forgotten.

"Common"
"Shiber"
Oriah
Never Stray

Words: 364847
Joined roleplay: December 5th, 2013, 5:06 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Featured Thread (1)

Postby Garland on September 4th, 2014, 12:27 am

He awed at the amazing dance moves, he was glad he had come here. It was a nice change from his regular loud time in the bazaar. The calm music and dance was soothing. He leaned back on the far wall from the stage, the coming fall was a nice change from the heat of summer.

The fluid motions of the dancers were so captivating that only the most strong willed might not look at it and awe. Garland was never the artistic type or even know the most basic of art, but he did know when something was crafted by an expert, and these dancers are very well trained.

The flourish of each end of the move, or the grand entrance of an upcoming one were as swift as the wind, but as noticeable as an explosion of emotion.

Now this... Is relaxing. Garland thought, looking as if he had just taken a relaxing massage. He was completely oblivious to whatever was around him
Garland
A Father First, A Squire Second

Words: 687461
Joined roleplay: August 24th, 2014, 2:02 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 2
Overlored (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Noah Amuel on September 11th, 2014, 5:57 pm

Noah focused his attention on the dancers in front. So much was happening and it would surely be chaotic but, somehow, the dancers kept their rhythm and all seemed calm. The music the dancers moved to flowed through the room seemingly amplified by each quick, yet fluid, movement of the women. It was captivating. All Noah wanted to do was to be on stage with them, learning the steps and practicing to eventually become as fluid as a mover as them. He didn't care if it was a feminine routine -- it was fun!

The audience erupted in applause and whooping as the dancers executed a perfect flourish. The fabric of their clothing made it appear as if they were floating, even flying in some instances. Every jump they made was met with a calculated landing that produced no sound. The dancers were more beautiful than the dance itself. They were Benshira without doubt: their skin was a pale golden tan and their hair vibrant in it's dark or light color. Their looks prodded at his memory, bringing up a friend whom he hadn't seen for weeks now.

Speech | Thoughts | Fratavan | Eagle
Noah Amuel
Zulrav's Golden Eagle

Words: 295310
Joined roleplay: January 20th, 2014, 9:25 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Orin Fenix on April 8th, 2015, 11:06 am

Grades are Served

Johvel
Johvel if you ever return to Mizahar PM me and I will happily award you your grades!

Oriah
Skill XP
Dance 2
Socialization 4
Observation 4
Storytelling 1
Philosophy 1
Intelligence 1

Lores
  • Dance: Recognizing a Pattern
  • Dance: Children's Dance for Masha
  • Dance: Partner Dancing
  • Dance: Improvisation
  • Johvel: Son of the Sons of Havid
  • Lissa: Quite Clumsy but Quite Friendly
Extras :
Despite being abandoned, still a really lovely thread. Seeing Oriah fall back in love with dance was beautiful.

Lissa Maze
Lissa if you ever return to Mizahar PM me and I will happily award you your grades!

[/tab]

Noah Amuel
Skill XP
Dance 1
Observation 2

Lores
  • Dance: Using Fabric
Extras :
Welcome back! Sorry there wasn't much to award here, but I'm really looking forward to seeing what Noah does in the future.

Garland
Skill XP
Observation 1

Extras :
Better late than never! So sorry it got dropped basically right after you came in. Sorry there's not much here.

Don't forget to edit or delete your grade request in the grade request thread.

If you have any questions or concerns about your grade please feel free to send me a message.
Orin Fenix
Almost Iron But Actually Master Chef

Words: 1186489
Joined roleplay: January 24th, 2015, 12:06 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Character (1) Trailblazer (1)