Ethaefal Race Rewrite

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This is the first step to starting a lore article. Please hold all conversations about lores here in this forum. No development takes place here ie Article posting. This forum is simply for threads that want to hash out what a lore should or shouldn't include as well as its merits and flaws. One can also gauge interest in new lore here as well. Polls are encouraged.

Moderator: Scribes

Ethaefal Race Rewrite

Postby Mateo on April 2nd, 2015, 12:32 pm

Make sure they automatically get itchy, nauseous and potentially constipated upon seeing any male of light skin, or any female with sufficiently good looks and high popularity. If they themselves are a male of light skin, or somehow of the latter category, then they will enter a diluted state where they believe themselves to be part unicorn, part vampire, part werewolfdragonfox in order to escape the reality of their own identity. They shall then be known as Otherfal, Falkin if that is their preferred pronoun.
Mateo
All's fair in law and lies.

Words: 24084
Joined roleplay: May 22nd, 2013, 9:57 am
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Ethaefal Race Rewrite

Postby Sylvette Sciath on April 14th, 2015, 2:56 am

So not that I am an expert by any means but I would like to make a suggestion ( or two) for the new right up. One thing that bothered me was the Size range of Eths the fact that they can be no shorter than 5'6, Just on the basis that there are some races that are quite obviosly shorter than this Inarta and the isur for example, Just thought I would toss that out there. (it has nothing to do with the fact that I at 5'1 don't want to ever Rp someone taller than myself) Also I was curious as to why Etherfal always appear as Adults, or mature (not sure how one defines mature, Capable of reproduction?)
Sylvette Sciath
Ginger

Words: 37951
Joined roleplay: December 30th, 2014, 4:24 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet

Ethaefal Race Rewrite

Postby Caelum on April 14th, 2015, 1:05 pm

Mornin’. :)

Unfortunately, neither of your suggestions are things set to be changed and, admittedly, I am not interested in changing them either. I do appreciate your suggestions, however, and I understand the spirit in which they were offered. They are things that occasionally frustrate players in regards to the race, but I strongly feel that to alter them would be the diminish them. Perhaps with an explanation you’ll agree?

The Ethaefal height range is set to reflect their celestial seeming, not their mortal. The Ethaefal celestial form is supposed to be tall, noble, statuesque. Their height is an actual physical trade mark of their race. Their mortal seeming can be of any height that is appropriate with the race of their mortal seeming. Their physical bodies change and it is not that their mortal seeming sprouts horns and more colorful hair, etc, but rather their entire body changes into the Ethaefal celestial body. And, you know, then it changes back into their mortal body and they look like whatever race they were in their last past life.

The reason Ethaefal appear as adults is because they are not a race capable of self-propagation. They are created directly by their patron gods and they do not grow, age, or reproduce children of the Ethaefalian race. To have a child Ethaefal would be illogical and antithetical with their purpose. Therefore, their mortal seemings must appear as adults as well. This happens regardless of the age at which an Ethaefal dies in the past life of the mortal seeming.
Caelum
The best way out is through.

Words: 1093768
Joined roleplay: March 18th, 2010, 10:27 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Featured Thread (1) Guest Storyteller (1)
Lore Author (1) Peer Reviewer (1)
Trailblazer (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Ethaefal Race Rewrite

Postby Xavior Silhouette on April 14th, 2015, 4:11 pm

Have any of this been hard cast into Lore? Just wanted to know in case I need to make changes to my character sheet.
Life is what you make of it. Why not make it a piece of art that lasts till the end of time?
Xavior Silhouette
Player

Words: 195782
Joined roleplay: January 10th, 2012, 3:58 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Ethaefal Race Rewrite

Postby Caelum on April 14th, 2015, 5:34 pm

Hey, Xavior. What specifically are you wondering is official lore yet or not?

I ask only because much of this is already lore but being gathered from the various sources and clarified. Other things are being elaborated on and still more are being made up brand new.

The revision as a whole is not yet official lore. It will be shortly going through the Peer Review process and will doubtless be further revised therein. But if you have any questions as to what is already official and what is not, I'm happy to help you with that.
Caelum

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Ethaefal Race Rewrite

Postby Xavior Silhouette on April 15th, 2015, 11:43 pm

Thanks Cae.

Nothing specific aha. Just wanted to know if there are Ethaefal hunters officially on the loose now LOL.

Thanks for what you're doing, it is shining a great light on the race.

Xavior.
Life is what you make of it. Why not make it a piece of art that lasts till the end of time?
Xavior Silhouette
Player

Words: 195782
Joined roleplay: January 10th, 2012, 3:58 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Ethaefal Race Rewrite

Postby Ssezzkero on June 12th, 2015, 1:07 am

So I've got just one question. I didn't see anything on Eth in the Peer Review forum, so I am assuming it was just a little slow lately.

As for the hair changing, how does this apply to races that maybe don't have hair like humans? Charodae, Jamoura fur and Pycons. I put Jamoura in there because their entire body is fur, it would be a little odd to see a white or blue Jamoura running around...
Ssezzkero
Player

Words: 249053
Joined roleplay: July 24th, 2014, 4:14 am
Race: Dhani
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Character (1) Mizahar Grader (1)
Overlored (1)

Ethaefal Race Rewrite

Postby Caelum on June 12th, 2015, 1:19 am

Hey there, Kero. :) This is not in Peer Review yet because I had some things going on. I have recently come to the realization that the article does not need to be flawless before Peer Review and, more to the point, I can hopefully get the help I need right now on the things that are stumping me via Peer Review.

Anyway, this means my writers block is crumbling and it'll happen soon.

As it pertains to the hair color, an ethaefal's colors only change with the seasons in their celestial form. Their mortal seeming coloring will remain the same season to season and year to year. I hope that clears this up!
Last edited by Caelum on July 15th, 2015, 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Caelum

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Ethaefal Race Rewrite

Postby Ssezzkero on June 12th, 2015, 1:22 am

Ay, no problem!

Yes, it clears it up, but I think I have another question then. If a race is clearly inhuman, are they always human-like in their Eth form? I assumed they were just a bigger better more flawless version of their original form...
Ssezzkero
Player

Words: 249053
Joined roleplay: July 24th, 2014, 4:14 am
Race: Dhani
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Character (1) Mizahar Grader (1)
Overlored (1)

Ethaefal Race Rewrite

Postby Caelum on June 12th, 2015, 1:26 am

Actually... That is entirely incorrect. You have likely received that impression due to a series of similarly incorrect assumptions performed by some past ethaefal PC players.

To be perfectly clear, the Ethaefalian celestial form is a whole different body from the mortal seeming. It is not the mortal seeming improved and beefed up and spit polished. It is not the Most Perfect Version of the last past life (aka their mortal seeming). It is its own thing, period.

And that thing, the Ethaefal celetial form, is humanoid. It is not, however, human. Not by any stretch of the imagination.
Caelum

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

PreviousNext