Ethaefal Race Rewrite

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This is the first step to starting a lore article. Please hold all conversations about lores here in this forum. No development takes place here ie Article posting. This forum is simply for threads that want to hash out what a lore should or shouldn't include as well as its merits and flaws. One can also gauge interest in new lore here as well. Polls are encouraged.

Moderator: Scribes

Ethaefal Race Rewrite

Postby Caelum on December 11th, 2014, 11:10 pm

Yes! Exactly that. I would love to see a plot form that way, and a hundred more too. My goal with this entire write up is to provide a wealth of plot tools and vehicles to the players that weren't available before.
Caelum
The best way out is through.

Words: 1093768
Joined roleplay: March 18th, 2010, 10:27 pm
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Featured Thread (1) Guest Storyteller (1)
Lore Author (1) Peer Reviewer (1)
Trailblazer (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Ethaefal Race Rewrite

Postby Jashkataal on December 12th, 2014, 1:26 am

Dear Caelum,

The rewrites are looking great. The Seeming and Horns sections look top notch, and have a nice added depth. Suddenly now, negative marks and malediction has a nice reference point and the race locks in that much better with established lore. As well as giveing us a sliver of their culture and their response to negative marks, well done.

I do – and maybe this is also the romantic in me as well – like the ring-bond you've added, but it doesn't seem cohesive as a whole with their theme of Spiritual Beings made flesh. They're evolved Souls, they've learned and grown in their time and I doubt they'd tie another soul down and impede another’s journey through the Cycle of Life and Death. Ethaefals have had many lifetimes to love and hate and just live. I – personally – don't see them taking that chance of evolution and growth away from others. They (the Ethaefal) got to where they are not by stagnation but – and maybe I'm reaching here – change courtesy of Lhex. I think it also steps on the turf of Cheva and her marks and gnosis. It feels very Victorian, this idea that a purposeful expression of the divine (Leth and Syna) is a promise-ring type of thing. This connection to Cheva seems even more tenuous than the one to Tanroa the Ethaefal purportedly have.

I think providing plots tools and vehicles to progress their characters is a perfect goal but the Ethaefal promise-ring is less a tool or vehicle and instead a forced plot. I just fail to see this putti/Victorian, constrained, romanticist facet in the Ethaefal. Maybe if this effect was broader and one of its uses was this tying together of souls. One that would give people many different options in plot and be one that progressed their character, rather than force them into single well defined route.

I think one of the difficulties in revising is the temptation to add instead of refine, to expand rather than develop. Not that they couldn't use something unique akin to the Knoti Gift or such but it feels more like a refocusing on a theme (love) they never had before. Not that they don't love but mind you.

Anyhow...

You're doing a fantastical job on the Ethaefal rewrite. Not only are you addressing small consistences with later developed lore but also taking time to be aware of player/writer concerns. And I think that's wonderful. It's much like an update to your favorite game, to correct bugs and play balance issues. I hope you know how appreciative people are of your effort. I certainly am.

~Jash

Jashkataal
Lovely, Deep and Dark

Words: 22093
Joined roleplay: August 16th, 2014, 9:35 am
Race: Ghost
Character sheet

Ethaefal Race Rewrite

Postby Caelum on December 12th, 2014, 3:31 pm

Mornin’.

Jash, you raise an incredibly important subject – the spiritual nature of the ethaefal and the whys and hows of it. They require depth and purpose that has been lacking. It’s something that I have been working on at length with this. The history I’m writing will be the key to the cipher of them and that is what I need to hold in mind as I write the other sections. For the first time, the players will know much of the mystery of the fissure and the fall though PCs largely will not.

What I’m getting at is that you’re right. We need to consider the horn ring and all other aspects of this rewrite in light of their purpose and that’s difficult because their purpose is developed but still being polished in my head. You might be correct that the horn ring won’t fit. I’m not sure yet, but I'm really glad you brought that up. I’m going to sit on the horn ring section until the rest is matured and then take another look.

And, you know, I’m going to need lots of eyes on this to see it from every angle even then. Any marks I miss we’ll rub out in the peer reviews.
Caelum

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Ethaefal Race Rewrite

Postby Traverse on December 12th, 2014, 5:27 pm

Date

So I am really enjoying the excerpts you've been providing us so far and the whole nature of everyone's input, comments, and discussion. I can tell this article is going to be an epic and beautiful read once it hits peer review stage and I can't wait.

For the horn ring, I really enjoy the concept and the idea of it, as well as the fact that it will surely enhance many aspects of the emotional Eth paradigm that the race as a whole holds, but I'll reserve final judgement for peer and founder review and see how it fits in with everything.

I know one of my interests will be how you tackle the past life memories of the Eths, I feel like they should be the only race with the ability to hone in on these other than of course, dreamwalkers.
Traverse
Journey to your limits

Words: 1283282
Joined roleplay: December 18th, 2012, 4:16 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 7
Featured Contributor (1) Artist (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Ethaefal Race Rewrite

Postby Jashkataal on December 12th, 2014, 5:44 pm

And well, the Jamoura – not to step on toes or pick nits – who pioneered Reminiscience I would think. Not sure if this thread is already known to you Caelum but here is a Founder's thoughts on past lives. I like how he envisions the recollection of therein. Ethaefals are briefly mentioned, though just in case it is applicable, here is Gillar on Jomouran Reminiscence and Past Lives.

Jashkataal
Lovely, Deep and Dark

Words: 22093
Joined roleplay: August 16th, 2014, 9:35 am
Race: Ghost
Character sheet

Ethaefal Race Rewrite

Postby Caelum on December 12th, 2014, 6:48 pm

Thank you so much, guys.

I have yet to make any solid decisions regarding past life memories, but I have a few ideas I'm mulling over with them.

This weekend I am making Christmas presents, but around that I intend to hack out the history. It's been stewing for the past couple of days and I'm ready to get my hands on it. I'll be sure to post an excerpt from it for everyone to roll around with.
Last edited by Caelum on December 13th, 2014, 3:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Caelum

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Ethaefal Race Rewrite

Postby Caelum on December 12th, 2014, 8:04 pm

Here's a fun one for y'all.

The Ethaefal possess humanoid genitalia in their celestial form whose sex will coincide with the gender selected for them by their patron deity. They can copulate but not reproduce in their celestial form. They can conceive or sire children in the mortal form in accordance with the biology lore of their mortal form’s race. All biological children will inherit the genetics of their Ethaefalen parent’s mortal form race in whatever manner and to whatever degree is dictated by the reproduction ability of the other parent’s race. There are no celestial form traits or abilities capable of being inherited. This is without exception.

A male Ethaefal can sire a child in his mortal form.

A female Ethaefal can conceive children in her mortal form. Should her pregnancy be successful, she will only be physically pregnant while in her mortal form. As there will exist no physical pregnancy for the Ethaefal in her celestial form, she will suffer no side effects of pregnancy as such. Absolutely no harm to the mother or detriment to the gestation of the child is caused by the Ethaefal’s daily or seasonal transformations. The details and duration of the pregnancy are dictated by the biology of the Ethaefal’s mortal form and she will give birth while in her mortal form. Any physical harm caused to the Ethaefal while giving birth will transfer over into the celestial form in the same manner any other physical wound transfers because the Ethaefal will no longer be pregnant at the point. The Ethaefal will not lactate while in their celestial form.

Caelum

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Ethaefal Race Rewrite

Postby Caelum on December 18th, 2014, 4:33 pm

Still writing, y'all. :) Here's another excerpt for you.

As Ethaefal are souls that attained an exalted spiritual state, many are wise and patient, with a perspective that considers long term ramifications. They are knit closely with nature and time, feeling its influence keenly as the seasons change and time’s river continues to flow. Although a number of ethaefal are vagabonds by nature, they are all nonetheless compelled to seek out the society of other people and dwell among them. Even the vagabond Ethaefal are uncomfortable and feel aimless if they remain outside the influence of Mizahar’s slowly rekindling civilization for an extended period of time. Positions of leadership and guidance, often as defined by social service, are natural roles for the Ethaefal to fall into.

The Ethaefal are biologically immortal in both their celestial and their “mortal” forms. This means that they are not plagued with cellular senescence, which is the deterioration of cellular structure and divisional ability due to time, and therefore the Ethaefal do not age. They will appear to be the same age from fall to death as dictated by the age appearances of their respective forms.

(Note: I have updated the physical appearance section already to discuss age appearance in celestial in mortal forms.)

The Ethaefal are immune to sickness and disease. They cannot catch a cold or come down with a fever. Their wounds will not rot.

The only time Vayt’s gnosis of Blight will affect an Ethaefal is if they have been exposed to poison. Because Vayt’s gnosis of Blight is not a disease in and of itself and instead causes existing conditions of sickness and disease to spread and exacerbate, Blight will not affect the Ethaefal otherwise as the Ethaefal will never be in a position of bacterial or viral weakness.

The Ethaefal are subject to physical trauma. They can be wounded and die. Major wounds transfer between forms as they heal with no significant change caused by the transformation. The wounds exist in the equivalent or as close to the equivalent location on the opposing form’s body. Very minor wounds (scrapes, shallow cuts, faint bruises, and minor rashes) rapidly heal in a matter of moments when in celestial form or once changed into celestial form. They progress normally in mortal form.

Should an Ethaefal suffer a loss of limb or appendage, the removed part will undergo normal decomposition and decay. If the part includes any bones, then those bones are capable of being magecrafted or maledicted. However, the removed bone will instantly crumble to glimmering dust, then ash, and finally to nothing whenever the Ethaefal it was removed from dies. This will happen whether that death takes place within moments or centuries. The respective physical locations of the Ethaefal at time of death and their removed body part have no bearing on this process. This will happen regardless of any magical alterations performed to the bone. Any teeth, hair, nails, or other long lasting organic material removed from the Ethaefal is subject to the same rules. The sole exception to this is the Ethaefal horns whose unique properties are outlined under Physical Appearance.
Caelum

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Ethaefal Race Rewrite

Postby Alcor on December 20th, 2014, 4:53 am

I should probably tweak my character sheet a bit more. Is it possible for your mortal form to look sick if they did when they were alive?
Alcor
Depressing Spirtist.

Words: 24727
Joined roleplay: November 13th, 2014, 1:31 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Ethaefal Race Rewrite

Postby Caelum on December 22nd, 2014, 2:22 pm

Hey, Alocor. :) That’s a somewhat difficult question.

Here’s the thing – sun or moonlight sustains them. Feeds, energizes, restores and replenishes. Unless they’ve been poisoned or wounded, they can’t be “sick”. And unless they have been forcibly kept shut out from all sun or moonlight, they can neither be starving.

Whether they were sick or injured in their last life doesn’t actually have any bearing. I mean, they’re not going to be born with, say, the mortal injuries that killed them. Nor are they going to be plagued by any potentially debilitating disease they might have suffered from long term in their mortal life. If they were sick in that last life, then they would appear as that person but healthy. The would be as they would have been had they never been sick.

Here is an excerpt from their physical appearance section:

“An Ethaefal’s mortal form can appear as either the age at which they died in that life or as an adult in their prime. One age appearance is chosen at creation and the Ethaefal cannot alternate between age appearances. The Ethefael will never appear as a child in their mortal form regardless of age at death. Child is defined by someone who has not advanced past puberty.”

I hope this helps! Of course, keep in mind that this is still in draft. It hasn’t even been submitted to peer review yet and, as such, is not yet official Mizahar lore. All of this is still subject to change. I'm just trying to keep everyone informed at this juncture as to how much change to prepare for.
Last edited by Caelum on December 22nd, 2014, 2:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Caelum

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

PreviousNext