Ethaefal Race Rewrite

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This is the first step to starting a lore article. Please hold all conversations about lores here in this forum. No development takes place here ie Article posting. This forum is simply for threads that want to hash out what a lore should or shouldn't include as well as its merits and flaws. One can also gauge interest in new lore here as well. Polls are encouraged.

Moderator: Scribes

Ethaefal Race Rewrite

Postby Caelum on December 6th, 2014, 4:47 pm

Good morning, y'all.

As the subject suggests, I've been asked to do a major revision of the ethaefal lore article. It is a beloved and fascinating race that requires a great deal of fleshing out from its original write up. The intention of this revision is to evolve the race fully into the role it is meant to play in the Mizahar world and to clear up all of the ambiguity.

There will remain an element of mystery surrounding the ethaefal as that is as much a part of the race as their horns, but the flood of day-to-day questions will be clearly addressed.

My goal is not to change the race, but to mature it. We want to empower you to create and interact with this race to the full extent of its potential. Please help us out and take a few minutes to reply here with some insight as to your typical questions regarding the ethaefal race and also some things you would like to see in this new article.

Here are some of the ambiguities I already intend to address:

• Past Life Memories
  • Skill Development
  • Reproduction Biology
  • Societal Purpose/Role

Write on,
katie.
Caelum
The best way out is through.

Words: 1093768
Joined roleplay: March 18th, 2010, 10:27 pm
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Featured Thread (1) Guest Storyteller (1)
Lore Author (1) Peer Reviewer (1)
Trailblazer (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Ethaefal Race Rewrite

Postby Pisces on December 6th, 2014, 8:03 pm

Ooh, I'm so excited for this!

A question I just came up with:
  • What do Ethaefal look like when they shift?

Some suggestions:
  • Horn examples
  • Expansion on Ethaefal and eating/drinking
  • Expansion on the age by touch! It feels a bit lacking and I rarely see it used.
Pisces
Fish out of water.

Words: 13196
Joined roleplay: October 25th, 2014, 12:17 am
Character sheet
Plotnotes

Ethaefal Race Rewrite

Postby Eleret on December 6th, 2014, 8:21 pm

I would like to see a bit added on what it means to be claimed by a god. At minimum this could be a link to the Afterlife lore, but I think the race page would benefit from a short paragraph highlighting the context of the past life's / soul's ascension, their requisite relationship with the god/dess. For example, were most/all Ethaefal third-marked priests in their past life? It's not made obvious in the current article whether that's the case, and that relationship is so fundamental to Eth characters that I think it should be up front and transparent for would-be players to absorb.
Eleret
Player

Words: 179278
Joined roleplay: October 21st, 2012, 12:33 am
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Donor (1)

Ethaefal Race Rewrite

Postby Emissary on December 9th, 2014, 6:21 pm

I would like to see an expansion of everything that currently falls under the 'Society' title on the Ethafael page. Not only about the Celestial Language but about the Mizaharian constellations. It might be a stretch to include this information since its just a race page, but currently this section is very sparse.
Emissary
Scribe

Words: 12708
Joined roleplay: December 6th, 2014, 9:30 pm
Race: Staff account
Office

Ethaefal Race Rewrite

Postby Jashkataal on December 9th, 2014, 10:25 pm

Dear Caelum,

I love this idea of deepening and evolving the race into itself more fully. I think it's wonderful.

I'd enjoy seeing something done along the lines of the Konti or Jamoura. Two other races, both heavily influenced by the Goddesses of Mizahar. Whose gifts and outlooks are greatly related to their creators. I don't know how powerfully felt it is to be a Forsaken when their relationship to their Patron isn't as fully developed as it could be.

Yeah the Tanroan touch thing never made much sense to me. Especially since She isn't their patron Diety and Syna's and Leth's appointments by Her would have happened quiet a bit before Mizahar formed or had life. It really just feels like a slight leaking of OOC knowledge -knowing in antiquity the relationship between Tanroa, Leth and Syna- and connecting it with a race born ages later.

I think it would be fun to see something akin to a Knoti gift for Ethaefals, a blessing of sorts from their patron Deity. Though I guess that brings up the questions raised by Eleret; just what is the relationship between the souls and their patron? Are they priests or etc... Personally I like the idea of a mystic-like blessing or gift of the souls from Ukalas. It enhances their mystery or otherworldly-ness. And like the Knoti, the gifts don't always have to be a boon, and could be more seen as a double-edge sword. Depending on how you'd like to stress their place (or lack of a place) in the world. Maybe each Ethaefal is marked by their Patron or something. I just always though it weird a mortal race touched and blessed by their Patron and yet a race from the Ukalas sort of forgotten of by their Parton.

I hesitate to speak to the shifting of the Ethaefal along with the season because I think it's lovely, romantic and it makes sense in holistically. Everything is connected and these celestial creatures mirror the earthly changing of perspective to the firmament that mortals experience (it seems like the stars move but it's really us that move). But it feels so … terrestrially tied and not celestially influenced. I think maybe there is room to broaden or re-focus this almost core theme of cyclical change that is a defining facet of the race. I think it also raises questions of Ethaefals on other worlds, something not addressed in the race write-up currently. Not all worlds experience the same seasons at the same time.

And lastly I would love to see the Celestial Language fleshed out in some manner. Who knows maybe that could be their gift. A Celestial Language that all mortals can understand or an understanding of all languages spoken. We know the Gods speak to mortals but like do they do so in that creature's native language or with something a little more mysterious. Just a thought, abet a fun one I feel.

Thanks for listening to me ramble.

~Jash
Jashkataal
Lovely, Deep and Dark

Words: 22093
Joined roleplay: August 16th, 2014, 9:35 am
Race: Ghost
Character sheet

Ethaefal Race Rewrite

Postby Gossamer on December 9th, 2014, 11:19 pm

Trophy Horns.

I'm just putting this here for your reference. I believe you will remember the AIM conversation.

BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6357243
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Ethaefal Race Rewrite

Postby Caelum on December 11th, 2014, 1:40 am

Thank you so very much. Y'all are proving to be an incredible help and I look forward to your continued assistance!

I have created the outline and posted to Lore Workshop here. It's been approved!

This means I am already deep into the write-up in preparation for Peer Review. Hereinbelow is an fun fact excerpt for you.

Mortal Form
When their patron deity relinquishes dominance of the sky for the other, the beauty of the Ethaefal diminishes. They revert to how they appeared in the last mortal life that aligned with their Ethaefalen gender. If a female Ethaefal was a male Human in her latest life but a female Jamoura in the life before, she will revert to Jamoura. This is because the Ethaefalen gender is the one chosen by their deity, and therefore the one that suits divine purposes best. The will of the deity continues to reign even when Leth or Syna are not in their time of prominence. This is because Ethaefal are more spirit than flesh, advanced souls gifted a celestial form while their patron is in the sky and otherwise trapped by their mortal form when not.

The change occurs at the end of the setting sun and the first light of dawn and the entire process last no less than three seconds and no more than ten. Timing may vary due to both the weather and the ethaefal’s will. They appear to ignite in the sun or moon’s glow and their features and details are completely obscured by the light. As the light dies out, they emerge as their opposing form.

Their clothing and any and all objects carried on their person or in their hands remain, including weapons, bags, and jewelry. Piercings can only hold in mortal form and will heal within seconds once they are changed into their celestial form. They will not heal around a piercing, but rather push the item out like a splinter and then heal.

Gnosis marks and Chevas/Lacun marks acquired during or following their fall will remain functional and in place on both celestial and mortal forms. Gnosis marks and Chevas/Lacun marks acquired in past lives do not exist in this one and must be re-earned. Ethaefalen abilities of celestial language and ageing objects and organisms are also suspended while in their mortal form.

Tattoos and scars acquired in the past life of the mortal seeming will remain with the mortal form in this life. Tattoos and scars acquired in this life can only be acquired in mortal form and will erase themselves within an hour once changed to celestial form. The sole exception to this are scars that are the manifestation of a deep, spiritual blow such as those found marking the Forsaken.

Ethaefal are a complicated race due to their unusual origin and some races do not pair well as a mortal seeming or require certain changes. Additionally, their mortal forms are significantly less important than either their spirit or even their celestial form. Therefore any especially powerful and defining aspect of their mortal race is denied them. Akalaks and Akontaks will lose one side of their personality, although an "echo" may remain. Isur will not have the trade-mark Isur-arm. Konti will have no Konti gift. Chaktawe don’t have a guardian. Drykas cannot bond to a strider unless they are adopted fully back into the Drykas culture. Kelvics can be the latest past life but they cannot be the mortal seeming due to their already dual nature. Mortal seeming would revert back to the next same-gender past life in line. Since Ghosts and Nuit have not died, they will never be an Ethaefal's seeming.
Caelum

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Ethaefal Race Rewrite

Postby Nal'reim Qyan on December 11th, 2014, 1:52 am

What happens during a Solar Eclipse? With the realms of both patron god within the sky... Do both change? Or yeah... That is my other question.
ImageImageImage
Nal'reim Qyan
Player

Words: 34560
Joined roleplay: July 17th, 2012, 6:59 am
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Donor (1)

Ethaefal Race Rewrite

Postby Caelum on December 11th, 2014, 1:56 am

In the event of a solar eclipse, both Synafals and Lethafals will remain/change into their celestial form and remain in their celestial forms until the eclipse ends at which point they will revert back to the usual order of things.

Good question. I'm pretty sure it's only happened once so far IC.
Caelum

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Ethaefal Race Rewrite

Postby Caelum on December 11th, 2014, 3:22 pm

Mornin’. :)

I have decided to continually update y’all on my progress. This is in attempt to receive constant feedback, prepare all of you for the Peer Review, and to promote understanding and excitement that this revision is extensive.

Below is a draft of a section I have written on the Ethaefal horns. Enjoy!

The Ethaefal horns serve far greater purpose than ornament. They are the force that solders the evolved Ethaefal spirit into their celestial, but still earthly, form via an ancient and godly animation technique. As such, an Ethaefal’s horns possess an excess of concentrated djed though notably not nearly to the excess and purity of djed found in souls. This djed cannot be manipulated by either the Ethaefal or an exterior force until the horns are removed from the Ethaefal body.

Ethaefal horns cannot be removed without killing the Ethaefal as they are what trap the advanced spirit in its corporeal state. To remove even one horn is to unlock the proverbial cage and the result is the quick separation of soul from body. The fleshly body, in fact, ceases to exist altogether in a matter of minutes, crumbling to gleaming dust and then to dull ash and finally into nothing. No hair, bones, or other organic debris survive this rapid decomposition. The horns alone remain.

Horns are highly sought for use by master maledictors and magecrafters. Mastery in malediction or expertise in magecrafting is required for successful use; but when successful, the yield is utterly incredible. Horns are also highly valued for purposes of rare and exotic ornamentation and can sell for thousands upon thousands of mizas.

For these reasons, there are those who have been known to hunt the Ethaefal for their horns. Horns can only be forcibly detached while the Ethaefal is in their celestial form for the obvious reason. Should an ethaefal be killed or otherwise die when in their mortal form there are no horns present to be left behind in the swift decay process. It requires considerable force, greater than that required to behead a person, to detach the horns from the skull. Due to this the most common method is to deliver an otherwise mortal wound to the Ethaefal, causing their death and the rapid decomposition of the body and therefore leaving the horns behind.

Anyone who forcibly removes an Ethaefal’s horns resulting in their death or murders an Ethaefal for the purpose of collecting their horns is cursed by that Ethaefal’s patron diety. They receive a negative gnosis mark immediately after from Syna or Leth and sometimes both. In extreme and vile circumstances a horn hunter has been known to receive negative marks from additional gods the Ethaefal has been marked or favored by.

A person cannot kill an Ethaefal, collect their horns, and then successfully claim ulterior motive. Additionally, the only manner in which a person who kills an Ethaefal can potentially escape receiving a negative gnosis mark from Syna or Leth is if it is undeniably obvious as an accident or done in extremely dire circumstances. They also must not collect or otherwise benefit from the collection of the horns.

A result of this is that it has become common practice for Ethaefal to kill or attempt to kill any person cursed by Leth or Syna that crosses their path. This is done for a variety of purposes, but primarily in self-defense, a sense of justice, and revenge. All Ethaefal consider it to be necessary, even their duty.
Caelum

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Next