[Baroque Bay] The Great Escape

The last stand of the Scars and the great escape.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A lawless town of anarchists, built on the ruins of an ancient mining city. [Lore]

Moderator: Regime

[Baroque Bay] The Great Escape

Postby Firenze on March 11th, 2015, 12:07 am

Image
Shoving one of her boots further into her bag, the boat swayed slowly back and forth. She could hear the ice smacking up against the side, the wood groaning in protest. Fire never believed that she would ever be in this kind of situation, naivete had always been a close friend despite growing up in the hard side of a rough city. The pain in her chest echoed the thoughts of her mind, wishing that she could go back to the orphanage and curl up in her bunk. Her mood shifting back and forth between anger and confusion, the gaping hole in her chest only visible to her.

The stomping of feet moving above her head made the quarters feel cramped. She loved the water but doubts of being trapped on the boat surrounded by it started to creep up from inside like fingers curling around her throat. Panic trying to seize her she closed her eyes for a moment, breathing deeply, trying to relax.

Thudding became louder, shouts began and the panic rose further. Her heart was trying to turn traitor on her and make her grab her things and flee. Her mind knew better. She needed a fresh start, somewhere where every place she went and everything she did didn't remind her of Dor'gen.

Lying down in the spot that she would call home until they reached their new destination, she curled up into a ball, still breathing deeply until slumber took her into a dreamless sleep.

Image


BAM!

Her eyes snapped open quickly, focusing on her surroundings. Ropes swayed and creaking boards reminding her of where she was... and why. The pain ripped through her chest again just as shouting above deck became louder. Was that clashing of swords or the men chopping at the ice?

The sound rang out again, more yelling ensued and it was becoming more obvious to Firenze what was going on. She watched as a woman made her way above stairs, sheathing her weapon. Should she join her? Reaching to her side, her fingers wrapping around her small dagger she fought with herself internally.

Aide those who she barely knew and possibly die from her lack of training? She may be more of a hindrance than a help... If she could shift form she could have more than just her one small dagger... would they care? Yes. She couldn't afford to do that, she needed to get out of this city and showing her natural form would most definitely shatter any hope of escaping.

Standing up abruptly, things really started to become hectic above her head, the clinging of the picks ringing out fast and furiously, she paced the floor. Feeling trapped and unsure, she walked the tension out, feeling as if she were a in a cage. She wasn't sure how long she'd paced, a tick, a chime or more? Her knuckles white from squeezing the hilt of her dagger. Things had appeared to quiet down and she'd felt herself finally starting to calm. There was still a faint shouting and cries but she pushed that aside and felt that she should at least see if there was anything she could do now it sounded as though most of the fighting had subsided. Were they fighting over the ship? Why?

As she peered over the edge of the opening, she only saw crew running around preparing the ship for sail. Where is everyone else? She stepped up further onto the deck and saw a mass of people running toward the ship. Ducking down she made her way toward the edge, looking over the side she noticed one of the women that was taking passage on the ship running toward her. Fire shifted out of the way as the woman jumped aboard, the captain and her began fighting as Fire peered back over the railing again.

Her eyes darted around, surveying the situation, she hoped that the captain would still take them to their destination, this caused her previous panic to return with a vengence. One of the crew ran at her, balling up she squeezed herself as close to the side of the boat as she could. Thinking that he was going to attack her, she prepared herself for what was coming the best she could, her hand going to the small dagger at her side. A tick or two passed and she let one of her squeezed eyes peep open, noticing that he was no longer there, unsure of where he'd gone but glad that he was none the less. The trip was going to be interesting.

A rock pinged off one of the poles nearby, another bounced off her shoulder. The sting faint, as her fear was trying to swallow her whole. She watched as angry faces made their way toward the ship, the other passengers trying anyway possible to board. Chants began, more rocks thrown and cries rang out. She'd seen fighting in Sunberth before, that was common, but this... was something on a whole different level.

Just as she'd peeked her head over the side again another woman came flying toward her, she ducked down and cowered behind the railing, biting the edge of her nail, scared of what to do next. She'd never been in any situation like this before, there were so many people running around she felt the urge to leave her things and just flee. She glanced around quickly, finger still in her mouth, her body and heart screaming at her to jump ship and run.

Just as soon as she prepared herself to flee, things on ship started to mirror the energy on the street. The levels of energy and panic soaring, crew left their place from behind their captain and scattered, preparing the ship in a frenzied manner. The boat jolted and Fire jumped to her feet, they were leaving! It was now or not at all, she either stayed or ran. Taking a deep breath, she steeled herself, she had to stay. She'd made her choice. Suck it up Firenze. Do you want to be remembered as a coward?

Her fingers grasped the side until her knuckles turned white, surveying the area, the man she knew as Palaren yelled, throwing his shield and weapon on ship he grabbed one of the women that were wet, he jumped and landed a few feet from where Fire stood, the woman landed on the deck. One after another, people jumped on board, frozen in spot she stood staring with her mouth agape. She didn’t know what to do, brow creasing and teeth chewing her lip she counted the people who’d boarded… where was Fallon?

Markus called for someone to get S’Essy, she felt this was actually something she could do… instead of standing around looking the fool. She didn’t know where the woman was, but she hoped to find her and possibly aid in anything the other shipmates needed as they looked ten times worse the wear than she did.

Others | Firenze | Thoughts

.
User avatar
Firenze
Food, or Friend?
 
Posts: 804
Words: 654034
Joined roleplay: October 8th, 2014, 8:25 pm
Location: Sunberth
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Featured Character (1) Mizahar Grader (1)
Artist (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)
2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

[Baroque Bay] The Great Escape

Postby Fallon on March 11th, 2015, 1:46 pm

Image
Her family went, gathered and unified together in their fleeing. One helped the other without question, they did not scorn against her words to go first despite that glimmering to make her. She did not stop them, letting the limp rope from her hold drop. She felt the dull ache as stones came flying at them, her eyes slipping back to the mob that begun to close in around her. Her hip gave an ache, her arm raising to protect her face when the rest begun to pelt at her. She heard the bellow of Pulren, that call as he dragged their Myrian up and took that leap of faith. It was in the opposite direction that the other Myrian ran - war cry filling her lungs as she positioned herself upon the narrow docks. Her moved back round then, the stumbling adrenal forcing her to blink slowly at the moving boat. She barely heard the shouting cry of the captain upon the wind, the dulled beating of the heart filling her ears and ego into one thought.

Her feet gave a step, gaze forcibly watching as Pulren and the Myrian took the first leap at the vessel. It caught in her throat, a breathlessness as they tumbled into the safety of the vessel - alive and safe. Her gaze looked to Noven then, the words turning to Markus and the hum of conversation stringing between them. She did not really know what occurred, but the knight whisked the smaller up onto his back. The man gave a shout at her, her name rung somewhere beyond the steady rhythm that drowned out everything else. With that he was off, she watched him as he thundered down the narrow docks as if possessed by his name sake - a lion. It was with a push off he leapt at the vessel himself, the clinging form of Noven as he scrabbled upon the edge for a moment. Her form gave a lurch, a deep, forced inhale as she pushed the legs into that final push of the form.

Behind her the roars grew louder, but she did not look back. She looked only forward as knight and thug managed to clamber up onto the deck and lie their catching their breath. By now the ship was reaching the point of no turning back, no momentary pause to allow her to look at what was coming. It was the simple fact of no time for rehearsals and no turning back. And so, Fallon did as she did best. She ran away.

Feet begun their thundering, the steel clinking around her as the quick steps grew, a jog, a stride, a run, an all out sprint. Her mind was focused, back straightening as she inhaled even deeper, the forcing of air into her lungs as she felt the length of dock shorten quicker than she imagined. A sharp twist, the speed and adrenal filling her veins into a mighty roar of noise as she met the edge and had no other choice but to take that leap of faith into what would either save her or destroy her. Toes pressed upon the edge, first foot forward, the second coming up behind to give that final push off spring. Her aim was for the railing, or anything she could get a grip on for that matter - it did not matter at this point. And it was in that moment that the whole world seemed to hold its breath, a muted moment of simple silence as things were left to the hands of fate.

It was her gut that slammed into the lower rails, her forehead coming forth to rattle against the upper with a piercing throb. A falter, hands and arms wildly swung about to grasp upon whatever she could. The slash pulled in rebellion, the once projected arm struggling to find purchase. She felt it slide away, legs dangling precariously above the water as the gauntlet covered hand managed to hook itself around one of the railings. A jerk, the slash complained, the pained gasp as she swung there breathing hard. Just that final push, just that little bit more. It was with the other she attempted to grasp at another section of the railing. Teeth gritted, stiff fingers wiggling as she brushed against the surface straining the rebellion of the body up to grasp it. She barely managed to gain a grip upon it as she pulled, toes barely brushing against the side of the boat as she continued to attempt her upward pull. Just that bit more. Just make sure they were all safe.
Image
FALLON
Fallon | Coffee Codes | Skill Images

Fallon is a Master of Intimidation, "At this level, a Master intimidator often unconsciously intimidates their target unless the intimidator monitors their stance, tone, and actions to prevent this. Master intimidators will nearly always have a reputation that precedes them unless they have taken special care to prevent it."
User avatar
Fallon
The Red Wolf
 
Posts: 2114
Words: 2252959
Joined roleplay: January 21st, 2013, 4:24 pm
Location: Riverfall
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 9
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Artist (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

[Baroque Bay] The Great Escape

Postby Zandelia on March 14th, 2015, 4:57 pm

Image
Surprise flickered across her countenance as Shai weaved something she was not familiar with. She was not even sure what was happening but it was over quickly enough, the spider ceasing her motions and instead opting for the safer choice to standing before the growing throng – she landed upon the deck nearby as the rope was cut by the captain and what she had thrown to Fallon became useless in moments. She was about to turn to him and scream as loud as she had ever done before, oaths and curses long repressed unleashed but at that moment – as the crowd was paused with Shai's distraction – the cowardly leader rushed back into the battle. She refocused and pulled back the bowstring once more, aiming for the silver beard. She let the arrow fly after a slow exhale, not even caring if it actually hit him. She nocked the next arrow of her last three and let it shoot out at random into the throng, aiming to give them pause rather than kill. The third and final one leapt out into the masses.

“If I get out of this Shai remind me to give the Captain my regards,” she growled as she let the bow fall and instead pulled out her throwing daggers now, holding them in her left hand as she surveyed the situation.

Things were escalating rapidly thanks to the surging intervention of their would-be murderers, pushing forwards towards those that still remained upon the pier with clear intent. Fear and wrath flooded through her in equal measure as she knew Fallon would be the last to escape. She threw one dagger through the air and into the crowd at the same time that Pulren dashed for his freedom with Kaie in his arms. Slamming into the side Kaie sprawled across the deck and she jumped forwards as Pulren began to disappear. Reaching over the edge she grasped at his jacket with her free hand and helped to pull him up and over the side. She pushed him gently to one side so that he was out of the way of any other jumpers. She turned her head to see Kaie threatening with her weapon. She padded back to ease the sword down to the deck.

“Easy Kaie, they'll be safe. You just concentrate on getting out of the way and resting. Someone get her some help! Get them both out of the way and somewhere safe” she barked at the few crew members surrounding them still, others were busy getting the ship moving as fast as was possible.

“But...she is holding a sword”

“And she can barely use the damned thing. Grow a spine before she dies because if she dies someone else will die too”

“You can't!”

“You think I have anything left to lose right now? Just...just do it! I'll pay you if I live. For petch sake!” she shouted, her voice was getting louder by the moments as she became mores trained emotionally, stress was pushing her beyond breaking point now.

As she pushed herself back and turned she was met by a brief shine of metal blur and in that split second she threw herself sideways to roll across the deck painfully. It had been a sound decision she found as she twisted and pushed herself up, shaking the stars from her vision, and regarded Kvist and Noven sprawled after their rough landing. She coughed and felt the wetness on her abdomen where clotting had been broken enough for blood to trickle once more. She felt the consistency between finger and thumb, thick and filled with meaning. She hissed further as she pushed herself up dumbly, was that everyone? Had the massive knight brought Fallon with him too? Her gaze darted about, seeking frantically and finding nothing. She turned and saw the blur that was her partner make the mad dash, the leap...the cracking into the side.

“Oh pe- grab my legs!” it came under her breath as she hoped someone would follow her command.

She threw herself forwards, sliding painfully across the wood and slipping over the edge at her waist, falling forwards and fingers flailing to catch at something, anything, to prevent Fallon from falling. There was a brief few moments where it seemed she had failed, that she had lost the one thing she wanted to keep. Relief flooded through her as both hands found purchase upon her jacket and wrist. She heaved and pulled at her, levering her up so that she had her arms wrapped around her and under her armpits. Her legs began to slip as the weight tilted her forwards, there was a precarious teetering until she felt weight – uncomfortable but life saving – upon them.

“Pull us up!” she shouted upwards.

Slowly and with great pain they ascended until they were upon the deck and she was upon her back, blood smearing her front and lungs working rapidly. They were safe, they were all safe now. Injured perhaps, wounded certainly but safe. She didn't have the strength to fight, had lost most of weapons to do so with at any rate. The ship lurched and tilted beneath her but she could hear the depressed jeering of the mob, bereft of quarry and the death that they had desired. Even if they had tried to catch them they were now out of reach.

“Let's...let's not do that again. Make sure. Safe. Everyone safe. And okay” she panted between the pains as consciousness finally gave way to tiredness.
Image
Image
User avatar
Zandelia
I Aim To Misbehave
 
Posts: 1295
Words: 1799278
Joined roleplay: September 23rd, 2011, 12:35 am
Location: Sunberth
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 4
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Mizahar Grader (1) 2011 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

[Baroque Bay] The Great Escape

Postby Shakune on August 3rd, 2015, 5:50 pm

Grades Are Up!!!!

Fallon :
Skills
Intimidation +3
Planning +4
Leadership +5
Tactics +4
Dual Wield +3
Endurance +3
Weapon: Tulwar +3
Acrobatics +2
Projection +2
Endurance +2
Running +1
Climbing +1

Lores
An escape to Zeltiva
Planning: An alternative escape
Even thugs have a hierarchy
Leadership: Protecting your people from harm
Tactics: In battle, every tick counts
Projection: Unarming a foe
Sunberth: Turned against the Scars.
The Scars: family
Sunberth: A narrow escape

Other
Various cuts and bruises, though fortunately nothing serious. Will heal in a maximum of 7 days.


Noven :
Skills
Intimidation +4
Tactics +4
Deduction +3
Acrobatics +2
Unarmed Combat +2
Endurance +3
Weapon: Tamo +1
Poison +1
Medicine +1
Leadership +2
Bodybuilding +1

Lores
Self: Suffers sea-sickness
Tactics: Thugs fight worse when provoked
Intimidation: Insult their weapons and their brains
Tactics: Killing one's own foes before helping others
Intimidation: Fishing for thug bait
Poison: Recognizing a tainted weapon
Unarmed Combat: The classic knee into balls move.
Medicine: To stop blood flow with a knotted piece of material
Fallon: Always puts her Scars before herself

Other
One puncture wound to Noven's right calf. Will heal in 20 days, but until then Noven will have to hobble everywhere. A small indent in his skin will forever remind him of this near escape.
Various other cuts and bruises, though fortunately nothing serious. Will heal in a maximum of 7 days.

Comments
Unless I'm mistaken, Noven was initially stabbed by the mace-spikes in the calf, but on a later post it was mentioned the wound was on his thigh. Feel free to alter the related wound above to reflect where this damage was. The healing time will be the same regardless :)


Zandelia :
Skills
Tactics +2
Leadership +3
Stealth +1
Stalking +1
Intimidation +3
Dual wielding +1
Weapon: Tonfa +2
Brawling +1
Unarmed Combat: +2
Endurance +3
Medicine +1
Deduction +2
Running +1
Acrobatics +2
Weapon: longbow +2

Lores
Tactics: Use all potential weapons
Leadership: Following one's own orders
Stealth: Sticking close to a crowd
Noven: Uses comical threats
Tactics: Divide a foe's attention
No hopes of a peaceful exit
Unarmed Combat: Crippling a foe with a kick to the knee
Tactics: Be rid of poor fighters first, and then target the real thugs
The Scars: All family
Medicine: Recognizing a broken nose
Medicine: Fixing a broken nose
Those bastard Gods have got a sick sense of humor

Other
Various cuts and bruises, though fortunately nothing serious. Will heal in a maximum of 7 days.


Kai :
Skills
Intimidation +3
Endurance +4
Brawling +1
Tactics +3
Deduction +1
Weapon: Spear +2
Weapon: Gladius +2
Philosophy +2
Swimming +1

Lores
Endurance: Fighting through extreme pain
Brawling: Turning a mop into a spear
Tactics: Recognizing weaponry potential in a mundane object
Deduction: Recognizing a fellow Myrian
Philosophy: Myrian shall not kill Myrian
Zedra of the Scattered Bones: Sister Myrian

Other
Kai will suffer hypothermia for the next 24 bells. She will require covers and blankets on her person at all times to abate this.
Various cuts and bruises, though fortunately nothing serious. Will heal in a maximum of 7 days.


Shai :
Please update your ledger to include living expenses for Spring 515AV. After this, I'll upload your grade :)


Pulren Marsh :
Skills
Tactics +3
Running +1
Leadership +2
Endurance +2
Rhetoric +1
Medicine +1
Bodybuilding +1
Acrobatics +1

Lores
Tactics: Running in Sunberth attracts unwanted attention
Tactics: Knowing when to flee
Endurance: Pushing through fear and pain
Rhetoric: Delivering the basics of a desperate message
Medicine: Act quickly to avoid hypothermia

Other
+50GM for the sale of 1 rowboat.
A large bruise on the centre of Pulren's back from the rock that was thrown at him. Will heal in 5 days but will be sensitive until then.
Various other cuts and bruises, though fortunately nothing serious. Will heal in a maximum of 7 days.


Markus :
Skills
Acrobatics +1
Endurance +2
Bodybuilding +2
Leadership +2
Flux +1

Lores
Acrobatics: Landing with a forwards roll
Witnessing an indescribable battle
Fallon: Keeps her secrets
Fallon: A secret mage?
Sunberth: An insane city
Zandelia: Quite capable of both blasphemy and cursing
Noven: A real damsel in distress


Firenze :
Skills
Endurance +1
Observation +1

Lores
Fleeing the memory of Dor'gen
Fighting the urge to run and hide.

Other
A small bruise on Fire's left shoulder, form the rock that hit her. Will heal in 4 days.
Just a note: on your ledger, it's not 100% clear what years the living expenses refer to. I'm sure it's quite obvious to someone possessing a human-level of common sense (which I unfortunately don't!), but you might want to think about explicitly writing the year next to each LE cost just to avoid anyone potentially withholding a grade unnecessarily :)


Comments :
WOW. I'm a little bit speechless after all that. Seriously, well done guys. Absolutely amazingly well written, really addictive and exciting. Excellently well written, thank you all for giving me this to read and grade!

If you have any question about your grade, please don't hesitate to PM me :)
Image
User avatar
Shakune
I drive a hard bargain.
 
Posts: 352
Words: 281911
Joined roleplay: August 21st, 2014, 10:43 am
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Contributor (1) Sunberth Seasonal Challenge (1)

Previous

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests