PM to join [World's End Grotto] Gratitude Overdue (Pulren)

Someone's got some reciprocating to do...

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

[World's End Grotto] Gratitude Overdue (Pulren)

Postby Kaie on May 27th, 2015, 5:12 am

The woman quickly found herself laughing along with the man. It was a bit more than a simple half-hearted laugh, being that her head was torn between emotions. Her heart more so. Yet even as Pulren's story haunted her she found herself quickly seeking an escape from the thought process that came with it. The Myrian allowed the quirky Zeltivan to command her fullest attention. Another drink from her mug and she flashed him a broader grin."Thank you, Pulren. That means quite a lot coming from you," she offered between breaths of gentle laughter, shaking her head in good nature. His assessment had been incredibly superficial. However, the jungle-born didn't mind one bit. His implying that her traits and skills lived up to the reputation of her people and served her Goddess Queen was worthwhile in itself. That confirmation alone was enough to lighten her mood.

"I suppose that's probably for the best," Kaie agreed at mention of the suspension of further inquiries about her intimate relationships. Amber eyes tore themselves from the alcohol to gaze at the man for several ticks. He's more clever than I've ever truly given him credit for. Casual game's not too bad either, she found herself musing thoughtfully. A hand snaked through her long curls. "Just until I recover from the beating we took. I really should be heading west the first moment I get. Time to go back home to my clan and my people." She thanked the tavern keep and refilled her own mug with the replenished flagon. A thoughtful drink was taken. Perhaps it was the alcohol that coaxed the stubborn Myrian to finally reveal her true intentions. "Sunberth hasn't seen the last of me though. Before I start doing what I should've long ago, I'm going back. Back to punish those petching bastards for what they did to us."

Despite the darkness in her words, it didn't carry into the tone of her voice. Clearly the woman had been thinking about the list of sins against the Scars, her chosen family, for some time. Orvin. The attack on the Quay. The mercenaries. Zedra. The Sunberth mob. The list encompassed all the misfortunes and pain the gang had suffered until their own leadership was crushed beneath it. A nefarious gleam came to her focused, increasingly intoxicated gaze.
"I'm going to find the ones that orchestrated the attacks on us. And then I'm going to kill him. Or he'll kill me. Whichever comes first." Kaie shrugged, noticing that since they'd started drinking the wound upon her ribs was less agonizing as the night went on.

"Fallon, the others, you. Everyone escaped harm, thank the gods. So I haven't found a reason to tell them what I plan to do. No one but you, so congratulations I guess." Another long drink from the mug. It was perhaps an unsettling fact she neglected to even reach out to the Scars' former leadership to so much as discuss her insane agenda. Yet, as she implied to the fisher of men, the last thing she wanted was to drag any of them back into Dira's path. Kaie had a feeling none were nearly so crazed that they wished to venture back to the wretched city. She wasn't ready to hear their lectures if they'd chosen to try to talk her out of it either. "I'll be sure to send them, whoever they are, your regards if you'd like."

Kaie
Player

Words: 1635197
Joined roleplay: May 9th, 2013, 3:13 am
Race: Myrian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) Riverfall Seasonal Challenge (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Pulren Marsh on May 31st, 2015, 7:16 am

Pulren couldn't pretend to lie about the fact that he was pleased with the growing attention he was receiving from the Myrian. It was like catching a fish when you were just casting to pass time. It was a good feeling, all around, though not completely innocent. As good a guy as Pulren was, the occasional montage of Myrian sweat on his skin traveled among the more honorable thoughts. Was it the ale? Who knew? Did it really matter? He had as much chance of spending a night with her as Aider probably would from this night forward, a thought that pleased him greatly. At least he wouldn't pollute her bloodline with his weak blood.

Once they had decided that Aider and relationships were off of the table, she spoke of the jungle and her desire to return to it. She also spoke of returning to Sunberth and doling out punishment to those who had attacked the Scars. He really didn't see the point. Most of them and their leaders had been cut down as the group desperately tried to break free from the ice and the grip of the town. He suspected it had something to do with the Myrian woman who had sacrificed herself to give them the time to flee. He wasn't going to bring her up. He was happy that the mood had lightened and he was going to try to keep it that way.

Not knowing if he would see her again after the night they were enjoying, a thought of curiosity occurred to him and he thought to mention it. "Let me ask you something. It is clear that you are faithful to your Goddess and I have heard you call out to Her when you battle. Can She hear when others call to Her? Is it wrong to do so if not one of her people?" He took a long drink and rubbed aimlessly at his chin before finishing the thought he had put out there. "I guess what I mean to say is would it be wrong if I called out to Her when I am going to war? I certainly don't expect the blessing you receive, but I think it might give me a little comfort to know that I was calling on the same power that drives you....if that's alright, of course."

As he listened to her plans, he nodded and listened. While he wasn't a complete believer in her goals, he couldn't knock them. He did have something he wished to pass on, but it was something that just made its way into his ale addled mind. "Actually, if I wanted anything to be passed on, I guess it would just be my well wishes to you. I don't know if I will ever see you again, so if not, I'd like to hear from you again. Somewhere, somehow. Maybe on your way back to your home or when you arrive, you could maybe send me word that you are well. That would be great."

Pulren Marsh
Your favorite Uncle

Words: 503518
Joined roleplay: March 22nd, 2014, 3:33 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

Postby Kaie on June 6th, 2015, 2:54 am

Old habits kept the Myrian alert despite the calm surroundings of the inn's tavern. In some ways it brought her back to the relative tranquility of Syliras. The Rearing Stallion had been an easy gig. The threat of the peace-enforcing knighthood kept most lawbreakers and common ruffians away. Bar fights were few and few between, though the woman never minded leaping over the bar she kept to serve punishment. Once or twice she found herself tossed in the tankard under controversial pretenses, but even that was a rare occurrence for the ever troublesome savage in the City of Peace. Unlike the Pig's Foot or the Drunken Fish in Sunberth, Kaie had once again found herself enjoying a drink in good company and relative safety. The revelation was almost...nice. Even more comforting was the return to the familiar topic of her Goddess Queen, which brought a broad grin from the Myrian who had grown serious only ticks ago.

"Myri is our Mother, yes, but she is also the Goddess of War and Victory. Her realm extends well beyond the reaches of our jungle. Battles waged and wars fought by outsiders bring her strength just as much as we Myrians bring her glory," the foreigner confirmed with a final drink. Almost uncharacteristically so, the drunken savage pushed away the empty container and turned her body to convey the fisherman had her fullest attention. "Our Mother hears those who call out to her, especially in a fight. Pledge the blood of those you've slain to Myri, and after a time, she may very well find you worth listening to. Even if you're a barbarian." A gentle slur characterized her words, but the genuine smile offered toward the man ensured the remark about him being a 'barbarian' was anything but patronizing. It was uttered no differently than when he labeled her Myrian. A conditioned label and nothing more. "You're one of the few that have ever asked me something like that. I have to believe She would be pleased to listen to your prayers."

A hand snaked back through her wavy hair, shoving it back out of her peripheral vision. So far, other than the bar keep, few paid them much mind. The Zeltivans, as distrustful of her sort as they were, seemed more content that night to pick at their dinners and chuckle over their Kelp Beers. Only a few times did she catch their curious glances. Yet they proved to be nothing more than innocent eye movements, and whatever they'd been doing before they caught the Myrian and the Wave Guard in their corner, they'd gone right back to.
"Zeltiva's the only city I know of that's the closest to Sunberth heading west. With Myri's blessing, I'll be back to run your kegs dry soon enough. " A bronze hand rested upon the man's shoulder then in good nature. Fingers gave a squeeze. "Thank you, Pulren. Your well wishes are greatly appreciated and I hope you'll accept mine as well for whatever it is you plan to do next."

That final notion send the Myrian's brow furrowing again. This is his home. Unlike me, he's made it to his most important stop. She let her hand slide down from his shoulder and upper arm before slipping back down to empty space.
"I never did ask you what you were doing in Sunberth. Why would the Wave Guard of Zeltiva want you there, hiding in plain sight under a new alias?"

Kaie
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Pulren Marsh on June 8th, 2015, 5:34 am

The barkeep roamed back over in their direction and Pulren covered his mug with his palm, indicating he was done for the time being. He was riding high enough on his wave of ale and he wanted to stay in the realm of function. Besides, Kaie had changed the subject to something he found fascinating: The Gods. Myri was now being described and Pulren found her words very educational and inspiring. He could indeed call out to Myri and the thought of Her presence being aware of his battle prayers was something that the Guard found very exciting."Haha, a barbarian indeed.", he muttered as she spoke. It was amusing to him that he was the barbarian to her. He wondered what it would be like to fight among the Myrians. That seemed as sure a task of prowess as Sunberth ever cold be.

He enjoyed the honest intimacy of her touch and the closeness he felt to her as a friend and comrade. He liked the idea of seeing her again on the other side of her next Sunberthian adventure. "I'm going to hold you to that, Kaie. I am sure you will receive Myri's blessing and I pray Laviku also blesses you with safe travels to and from." All the fighting power in the world didn't save a person from Laviku's wrath. It's not like you could punch a rogue wave to death, after all. People really needed to learn to swim, he thought to himself as he looked into her eyes. "My plans are to just get better. Sunberth showed me where I was weak and now I will work on those weaknesses, burn them out like a smith does to metal."

As she moved her hand away, the last vestiges of her touch left him and he longed for them again, the ale bringing him visions one last time of greater unions. Fortunately, she changed the subject to another interesting topic, something to change the man's mind to the past instead of the glowing presence of the present. A very interesting question, indeed. "Ah, a fine story for the night. Well, you see, I was there actually on my own authority. I had met Markus and S'Essy here in Zeltiva the season prior to heading out to Sunberth. He was looking for some slavers that had kidnapped some of his family members and I, as a staunch opposer of slavers and their ilk, chose to travel with him to find clues. Since Sunberthians generally hate Guards and Knights, I decided to put on the alias then and there and it became me. I guess I took a little vacation from myself in the guise of Palaren Marshall. It's my uncle's name, Palaren. Running into Fallon and saving her life was a complete fluke, or perhaps not, since it seems the Gods and Goddesses are working in our favor."

Pulren smiled, truly believing his own sentiment.

Pulren Marsh
Your favorite Uncle

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Kaie on June 25th, 2015, 4:20 am

It had seemed like such a blatantly curious subject long before the Fisher of Men and the Tigress found themselves cozied up with ale and good company to keep them warm. What was the point of sending a Wave Guard of Zeltiva all the way to the most dangerous, shyke-hole of a city known to Mizahar? She should've asked much sooner. It was almost unsettling to her that she'd overlooked the potential value to whatever answer he was about to provide to her prying for so long. Twisted his way, the Myrian let her inside elbow rest upon the table. Her hand cupped against the side of her resting jaw like some sort of stand. Eyes studied the man as if they could find the truth before he revealed it. She was keen to fall into silence. The stage was very much his own. For all she knew, Pulren might've very well been preparing to spin a web of lines rather than spill any honesty at all.

But what reason would he have to lie? We've come so far, spilled so much blood, survived against horrifying odds. And he is now home, tucked safely in city nestled on Matthew's Bay in the company of his fellow compatriots. Then again, there's always more beneath the surface than what one can visibly see...

As pessimistic as her thoughts dared to be, an apparent product of her time in Sunberth, her undivided attention attested to her willingness to give Pulren the benefit of the doubt. Respect for the man gave her no other option. A smile began to grace her lips as names and events began to click, connecting to one another as deliberately as drops of water that bound together fiercely when they neared one another.
"Ah, the Syrlias Knight and the Konti healer," she concurred with a certain satisfaction to her tone. Her voice practically rung with it. "You must be a righteous, moral man to follow strangers so fervidly into the dark." Mirth gleamed something ferocious in the black of her eyes. "In any case, I feel like I can speak for all the Scars in that we're glad you did. The poor sods that found themselves on the wrong end of your trident? Maybe not so much." Kaie laughed for a tick, shaking her head as new information was carefully pieced together with the old. It seemed that falling victim in one way or another to some pack of greedy slavers was a vicious epidemic in Mizahar.

"Your alias was clever. I suppose it would be easier to answer to a name that means something rather than something more random. You "taking a vacation" from yourself reminds me of those who commit crimes while wearing a mask...like the tick they put it on, they're capable of being something else. Anonymous, is that the word? Think maybe that's why it was easier for Sunberth to eat at you?" What was it about alcohol that always made her so philosophical? Visions of the new breed to Dhani crawling onto Sunberth's shore as she fought alongside a odd, masked crusader rushed back to her. If nothing else, at least what she'd gathered that night seemed somewhat accurate in one context. Only Pulren could confirm or deny if it was the same in another.

"Syna will be setting soon. I should head up to my room here at the Grotto. My new roommates seem convinced my apathy for my own wounds is going to be the end of me." The savage rolled her eyes for effect, grin turning crooked and into one of utter sarcasm. It had been bad enough the two men had practically bathed her like an infant, fretting over whether or not letting her handle the task herself would only result in letting her wounds fester. No faith, those two. "Anyway, thanks for joining me, Pulren...and for, you know, saving my ass back there. I wouldn't think to wish you harm on one of your Guard-ly duties...but if I was so lucky to find trouble before it found you like you did once for me, I promise I'll show you what real Myrian gratitude looks like." With that the tawny woman rose with naught but a momentary wince. The chair was pushed in behind her, a new courtesy she'd seemed to have picked up in Syliras so long ago. A bronze hand was extended toward Pulren, the same expression of genuine happiness in light of his presence still evident.

"I'll be seeing you real soon, fisherman. In this lifetime or the next. Until then, I trust you know where to find me."

Kaie
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Pulren Marsh on June 28th, 2015, 7:20 am

Drink or not, Kaie was easy to talk to. As the evening swindled and the buzz began to float and stretch out, conversation lowered to murmurs and friendliness. If she was just another woman or Pulren had other intentions, this would probably be about the time to start getting closer and discussing where they might end up at the end of the night. She wasn't and he didn't, so it was just a couple of good friends finishing their good time. Also very good.

He smiled when she spoke of Markus and S'Essy. They were good people and he was proud to know them. Sure, they had their faults, but who didn't? A low staccato of chuckling escaped his lips at the mention of morality. "Well, you know them too. They are good people. Some people you can just tell." Like this one. She had bathed in blood, even before Pulren's eyes, and he trusted her as much as he did the aforementioned couple. His small chuckle opened up into a larger laugh when she thanked him on behalf of the Scars. "We were a good team. I'm glad for the time with you. Made some friends." He really did. As much damage might have occurred to his psyche, the friends he had made would last a lifetime, even if he never saw any of them again.

Her next words gave him some food for thought. He seemed to mull over it for a moment and as it seemed to be a rhetorical question, he took a breath and looked off into nothing, answering as best as he could. "I guess it was like a mask. No one there knew me anyway, but I get what you are saying. Palaren was an interesting face to wear but specifically being Uncle is what I would call a mask. There's something about being Uncle that makes everything equal and permitted. It's strange." He hung on that last statement for what seemed like a long time before she was speaking again, thankfully diverting his attention from the dark shadow of himself.

It seemed she was ready to go to bed and frankly, so was Pulren. It had been a long night of revelations and camaraderie, a night he would remember. He stood as she did, reaching out and grasping her forearm in a warrior's way of welcoming and thanks. " When I see you again, we will either both pray to Myri or I will buy that round. I'm good either way." He released her firm forearm, smiling and looking at her with genuine friendship. "I do and I will. Be well and may Myri bless your every step to victory." He bowed slightly and walked off into the night.

Pulren Marsh
Your favorite Uncle

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Ball on December 6th, 2015, 5:04 pm

And the grades come rolling in.

Overall Comments
I actually choked several times emotionally when grading this thread. It made it hard to actually continue grading it at times. But it was still an amazing read!

As with every grade, please be sure to mark your request as graded and any questions PM me!

Kaie
Experience Points.
Philosophy+1

Lores.
  • Kelp Beer: Ugh this is alcohol?
  • Pulren: A sailor who does not truly sail.
  • Masks and Alias: Making it easier to deal with the chaos

Just a few notes to remember: When you receive grades you MUST show where the XP is coming from in your CS, I noticed that you have it all listed, but you do not show the proof. You have done so with the Lores, please do the same with the XP. If you have listed it in another thread or post (such as in a Plotnotes or Scrap) please provide that link in your CS.

Also, you should be putting the year in your timestamp as is required. As of right now I cannot tell if this thread is 514, 515, 400… etc. It was only until I looked through your CS I located the year. Please list that as well. A full timestamp contains a full date: Day, Season, Year.

Pulren Marsh
Experience Points.
Seduction+2
Interrogation+1
Storytelling+1
Philosophy+1

Lores.
  • Kaie: Pays her debts
  • Seduction Technique: Slightest Touches
  • Myri: Goddess of War, Smiles Upon those who bathe in the blood of their enemies
  • Masks and Alias: Making it easier to deal with the chaos

Template Credit: Edric Wingard
Avatar CreditsMy lovely Avatar was drawn and created by the most awesome Nivel

Graders Please Note :
As Ball is getting closer and closer to maxing out Pyken as a skill, I would like to request that in places where Ball is not doing enough to constitute Pyken XP if Pyken technique lores could be issued instead.

Examples of proper XP level for Pyken would be: Ball developing or refining his technique by adding new thing against an actual moving target, not a dummy.

The use of basic skills alone are not enough to accomplish XP at Ball's current level of Pyken.

Thank you.

I will be handling all Ball related posts on Mondays @ 1800 my time *
Ball
Ser Ball -- Pycon Knight of Syliras

Words: 460478
Joined roleplay: January 31st, 2012, 4:52 pm
Race: Pycon
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes