[Peer Review] Tracking [Skill]

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This is the Archives forum for Peer Review.

Moderator: Scribes

Postby Dravite on June 26th, 2015, 9:04 pm

Under Revision.
Last edited by Dravite on January 21st, 2016, 3:19 am, edited 18 times in total.
Dravite
Ra’athi of The Watch Troha to Tavehk

Words: 775240
Joined roleplay: April 20th, 2015, 12:38 am
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Overlored (1) Advocate (1)
2015 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Tribal on August 26th, 2015, 11:21 pm

B U M P
Tribal
Lost in the Tall Grass

Words: 242363
Joined roleplay: June 28th, 2015, 11:43 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Plotnotes

Postby Ruari Darkwind on August 26th, 2015, 11:59 pm

Alright, so I've not really peer-reviewed before, but I'll do my best here.

Altogether, the article is well-structured and well-written, with great attention to detail. Kudos to you for that. In reading over it, though, I do have some suggestions.

Tracking is the ability to pick up on spoor and follow a trail or movements of someone or something, typically in order to find them or note their course. Trackers know the environment, how to recognise certain animal or human behaviours, and understand that everything has a season. Tracking is not only useful when it comes to pursuing a target, but also evading dangerous animals, people, and places. Trackers are patient, methodical, and observant.

This could be worded differently, as there seems to be a bit of redundancy in the wording. My suggestion would be something more concise, such as:

Tracking is the skill associated with finding and following the trail of a person or animal whether in a hunt or for reconnaissance. The skill includes environmental knowledge and the behaviour of animals and humans, including seasonal variations.

I left out the bit about evading, as I feel skills like Stealth, Disguise, Tactics, and Escape Artist cover it. Tracking would make a good partner to those skills when put in a dangerous situation.

Footprints and patterns associated: Understanding that animals leave different prints, determined by print size, animal weight, speed of travel, and terrain.
Disturbances to natural settings: Broken branches, scat, clawing on bark, and compressions, etc.
Sounds and Voices: Footfalls, growling, territorial calls, and talking.
Time: Early morning to late in the afternoon before rain or snowfall is the best time to start tracking.

This is a pretty good little list, but if I might again offer some changes:

Footprints: Understanding that animals leave different prints, determined by print size, animal weight, speed of travel, and terrain.
Markings: Broken branches, scat, clawing on bark, and compressions, etc.
Sounds: Footfalls, growling, territorial calls, and talking.
Time: Knowing when animals are active most, when they are at rest, and when they are beginning or ending their activity.

I've changed everything to one-word terms as everything that fell into their definition was summed up by that single word. To be honest, Footprints and Markings could fall under a larger heading and be separated like that, as they are spiritually the same idea where the difference lies in what it is you're seeing but for the sake of brevity, they work well like this. When it came to time, it seemed there'd been no consideration given to the tracking of nocturnal prey, or even prey that's active around dusk. While tracking might be best done when it's light, it's still imperative to know that what's being tracked may be active at night.

I'm leaving it at here right about now so I can look over the article some more and do some things, but I wished to give this article some love. You've got a fantastic start! :)
Ruari Darkwind
skulls.

Words: 62295
Joined roleplay: August 23rd, 2015, 3:15 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Kailey on August 27th, 2015, 8:04 pm

I'll try to cover some different things not previously mentioned. So you're not hearing the same thing over and over. Anyways, here goes.

Trackers know the environment, how to recognise certain animal or human behaviours, and understand that everything has a season.

A few things:

1- Might want to consider changing the word "the" to "their."
2- Since the site seems to use the American version of English over any of the other forms, you may want to change "recognise" to "recognize."
3- You may want to break up this sentence, and although it's a bit of a pain, expand on the word "everything."

Sorry to make you feel like you're back in school with those obnoxious "whys" on all of your paragraphs. But I feel like the most precise language possible is important to insure that everyone knows what you mean!

Tracking is not only useful when it comes to pursuing a target, but also evading dangerous animals, people, and places.

Edit: but also WHEN evading

OR

but also when trying to evade ...

Trackers are patient, methodical, and observant.

Perhaps they should be, but they might not always be. As such, you may want to take this into account, and consider saying something like...

It is important for a tracker to be patient, methodical in their ways, and rather observant.

There are many elements to take into consideration when tracking a target and recognising key signs will insure a more successful outcome; these include:

I think the semi colon should be swapped for a comma, but I am not positive.

Also, just the spelling of the word "recognizing" again.

Footprints and patterns associated: Understanding that animals leave different prints, determined by print size, animal weight, speed of travel, and terrain.

I find this awkward.

Maybe... Footprints and Other Markings?

OR

Footprints and the Patterns Associated With?

You use the word "print," which can make the sentences both redundant and confusing. I don't get how the second part of this sentence flows into the first at all. Maybe if you broke your thoughts up again, it could help.

Time: Early morning to late in the afternoon before rain or snowfall is the best time to start tracking.

1- Why?
2- You seem to use a sort of bullet point, grammatical format most often, which may not be ideal for this sort of piece. You may want to consider starting with the word "the," and writing "proper sentences" for these points. Sorry I don't know any other way to put that.

The ability to track has been mastered and used throughout the ages by military groups, intelligence gathering agencies, Slavers, Pirates, Bandits, Hunters, Foragers, and Scouts to trap, pursue, avoid, and survive. Today, tracking is used more by the likes of soldiers, such as the Knights of Syliras or societies who rely on their hunter-gatherer roots to survive and make a living, including the Drykas, Benshira, Chaktawe, Myrians, and Zith.

Part 1- Things in the middle of the sentence, like "slavers," for instance, should not be capitalized.
Part 2- Simply put in an awkward fashion. May be reworded to improve flow.

There is no prerequisite for Tracking, however, a novice would have a hard time following a trail or recognising a print left by animal or man without any skill in Observation.

-Skills do not need to have their first letter capitalized.
-Spelling on "recognized."
-I don't get why there are bullet points beneath this. You might want to clearly link these ideas together.

Aging: Determining when the print was made, taking key aspects into consideration, including but not limited to, weather, damaged vegetation, environment, and other natural elements.

EDIT: Determining when the print was made, taking key aspects into consideration, which include but aren't limited to: the weather, damaged vegetation, the environment, and other natural elements.

Or something like that.

A tracking novice understands that tracks lead to somewhere or something, but often tend to lose the trail over certain types of terrain, or in unfavourable weather conditions.

-that tracks lead somewhere or to something
-you spelled unfavorable incorrectly

Recognising and categorising different types of trails becomes easier. A competent tracker has built up a small wealth of knowledge regarding different animal prints and can follow them with less difficulty.

-Recognizing
-Categorizing
-different TYPES of animal prints

Trailing quarry or people seems no harder than reading a book, having amounted a large variety of tracking knowledge, the expert tracker is able to follow spoor across all kinds of terrain, though different environments, in all types of weather.

Trailing quarry or people seems no harder than reading a book. Having amounted a large variety of tracking knowledge, the expert tracker is able to follow spoor across all kinds of terrain, though different environments, in all types of weather.

I think...

They take tread depth and gait (stride) into consideration when determining the weight, height, and speed at which their target is traveling.

EDIT: They take tread depth and gait, (stride), into consideration when determining the weight, height, and speed at which their target is traveling.

Not only is the master track skilled at following any trail to its end, they can also move without a trace, concealing their every move if they so choose.

-master level tracker

If you don’t know where to find a certain type of prey, the master tracker can point you in the right direction as they have familiarised themselves with the migratory routes of animals, people, and even sailing vessels.

-familiarized

OVERVIEW:

Just a few things to be mindful of.

1- Spelling and Grammar
2- Expansion. Make sure a reader, who knows nothing on what you are writing about, will have a good grasp on the concepts you are discussing when they are done reading. Leave little to no room for misinterpretation.
3- Pacing. Slow down, this isn't a race!

Hope that helps you!

And feel free to shoot me a pm if any of my comments aren't clear.

<3 Kailey
Kailey
Whittle Bunny Foo Foo

Words: 45748
Joined roleplay: March 14th, 2015, 3:55 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Scrapbook

Postby Revali on September 16th, 2015, 1:16 am

Hello!

I don't have a ton to add, because this looks pretty good, but there a couple things I would like to see added or changed.
There are many elements to take into consideration when tracking a target and recognising key signs will insure a more successful outcome; these include:

The semi-colon right next to the colon makes it easy to stumble upon the text there. Perhaps it would be best to use a period, in place of the semi-colon?

I would also like to see the history expanded a bit. It seems short, especially since hunting is a very old skill. How has it evolved? What were old methods that have been replaced? This may be too big of a topic to include, and if it is, I totally understand.

There is no prerequisite for Tracking, however, a novice would have a hard time following a trail or recognising a print left by animal or man without any skill in Observation.

• Observation
• Hunting
• Stealth
• Camouflage
• Foraging
• Land Navigation
• Scouting

The next thing is simple, and more of a preference than anything. Although it may be self-explanatory, I would like to see explanations of why those skills listed are related to tracking. For example, why would being able to forage aid in tracking? Simply because you would understand what the animal might be foraging for, and recognize those signs, or is it because you need to be able to sustain yourself while in the wilderness?

I liked that you included terminology. It's a nice addition. :) Perhaps you could include some of the tools to hunting as well?

Lastly, I would like to see those 4 main considerations from your introduction expanded upon. I know nothing about tracking, and I'm not certain I understand exactly how to identify what animal left a certain print, or why one would care what animal they are tracking? If it's meat, does it really matter?

Just some things to think about. Good work so far, and good luck!
Last edited by Revali on September 17th, 2015, 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
6/8 Active Threads
Have some time? Come leave a peer review
Revali
'Fraidy 'Kat

Words: 45187
Joined roleplay: August 9th, 2015, 3:34 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Tribal on October 21st, 2015, 10:12 pm

Ruari Darkwind wrote:
Alright, so I've not really peer-reviewed before, but I'll do my best here.

Altogether, the article is well-structured and well-written, with great attention to detail. Kudos to you for that. In reading over it, though, I do have some suggestions.

Tracking is the ability to pick up on spoor and follow a trail or movements of someone or something, typically in order to find them or note their course. Trackers know the environment, how to recognise certain animal or human behaviours, and understand that everything has a season. Tracking is not only useful when it comes to pursuing a target, but also evading dangerous animals, people, and places. Trackers are patient, methodical, and observant.

This could be worded differently, as there seems to be a bit of redundancy in the wording. My suggestion would be something more concise, such as:

Tracking is the skill associated with finding and following the trail of a person or animal whether in a hunt or for reconnaissance. The skill includes environmental knowledge and the behaviour of animals and humans, including seasonal variations.

I left out the bit about evading, as I feel skills like Stealth, Disguise, Tactics, and Escape Artist cover it. Tracking would make a good partner to those skills when put in a dangerous situation.

Disturbances to natural settings: Broken branches, scat, clawing on bark, and compressions, etc.
Sounds and Voices: Footfalls, growling, territorial calls, and talking.

This is a pretty good little list, but if I might again offer some changes:

Footprints: Understanding that animals leave different prints, determined by print size, animal weight, speed of travel, and terrain.
Markings: Broken branches, scat, clawing on bark, and compressions, etc.
Sounds: Footfalls, growling, territorial calls, and talking.
Time: Knowing when animals are active most, when they are at rest, and when they are beginning or ending their activity.

I've changed everything to one-word terms as everything that fell into their definition was summed up by that single word. To be honest, Footprints and Markings could fall under a larger heading and be separated like that, as they are spiritually the same idea where the difference lies in what it is you're seeing but for the sake of brevity, they work well like this. When it came to time, it seemed there'd been no consideration given to the tracking of nocturnal prey, or even prey that's active around dusk. While tracking might be best done when it's light, it's still imperative to know that what's being tracked may be active at night.

I'm leaving it at here right about now so I can look over the article some more and do some things, but I wished to give this article some love. You've got a fantastic start! :)

1. I disagree, if you know what someone is looking for (because you’re already good at finding it); you also know what to hide from them (e.g. your tracks).
2. Good observation, much cleaner that way. Fixed.
Tribal
Lost in the Tall Grass

Office
Plotnotes

Postby Tribal on October 21st, 2015, 10:16 pm

Revali wrote:
Hello!

I don't have a ton to add, because this looks pretty good, but there a couple things I would like to see added or changed.

The semi-colon right next to the colon makes it easy to stumble upon the text there. Perhaps it would be best to use a period, in place of the semi-colon?

I would also like to see the history expanded a bit. It seems short, especially since hunting is a very old skill. How has it evolved? What were old methods that have been replaced? This may be too big of a topic to include, and if it is, I totally understand.

• Observation
• Hunting
• Stealth
• Camouflage
• Foraging
• Land Navigation
• Scouting

The next thing is simple, and more of a preference than anything. Although it may be self-explanatory, I would like to see explanations of why those skills listed are related to tracking. For example, why would being able to forage aid in tracking? Simply because you would understand what the animal might be foraging for, and recognize those signs, or is it because you need to be able to sustain yourself while in the wilderness?

I liked that you included terminology. It's a nice addition. :) Perhaps you could include some of the tools to hunting as well?

Lastly, I would like to see those 4 main considerations from your introduction expanded upon. I know nothing about tracking, and I'm not certain I understand exactly how to identify what animal left a certain print, or why one would care what animal they are tracking? If it's meat, does it really matter?

Just some things to think about. Good work so far, and good luck!

1. Changed.
2. I don't think hunting needs a breakdown in the tracking lore. I think some people get too hung up on length, it doesn't need to be lengthy, it just needs to be factual and give the writer enough to write a skill well.
3. I've made changes here so some of them may need to be reworked.
Tribal
Lost in the Tall Grass

Office
Plotnotes

Postby Azmere on December 12th, 2015, 4:51 am

So after everything I've seen that has been mentioned by the others and what you have changed [or not changed], I feel this article is very well written. There are a few minor details about tracking that seem to elude the article but they are so specific I am not sure how you would incorporate them or even where they would be best placed.

~ You touched on Sound in reference to calls, growls, etc. There is also the art of using environmental sounds to follow or track someone. Indians used to place their ears on the ground to gauge how far away they were from a herd of buffalo. The absence of natural sounds [bugs, birds, small animals, etc] often indicates a larger presence in the area.

~ You could also add some aspects to Time by several different means. A fresh print in mud will be clear and often have a 'tug' or place where the edge is distorted as it tried to cling to the hoof/boot/claw. Over time, this little ridge will settle back into the print and may distort the shape to be less striking. Another way to tell time is heat. If a deer lies in the grass, the blades will be flattened which is generally easy to spot. One could place his hand on the compression and determine if it is recently vacated by any residual heat. This is essentially useless in winter or cold climates since the weather will steal that tony trace of warmth very quickly. However, it is still a skill that can be used just as one who has a high enough proficiency can tell how long a fire's been put out by the heat that remains in the ash.

~ Logic and Animal Husbandry might be useful skills for tracking for the same reason. Logic is a human trait used to flesh out problems and draw connections so it would be helpful when trying to follow a person. On the flip side of that coin, understanding what animals need and their behaviors would make tracking them and predicting their movements much easier.

Other than those things, I feel it to be a very complete explanation of the skill.

It's you and me against the world.
Attn: GradersObservation is maxed. Thank you for all your hard work.

where do you go when you don't know who you are?
Azmere
Seeker of the Lost

Words: 754081
Joined roleplay: October 14th, 2015, 11:57 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

Postby Firenze on December 13th, 2015, 11:04 pm

I'm so glad you're expanding on this lore as it's one of my PCs main skills and it will be very useful! I look forward to seeing this finished. Here are what I think may help, apologies if there may be replicates that haven't been added in, I'm going off what's currently showing.

Maybe expand upon the Tracking overview a little? How is it beneficial to use?

Why? Maybe give a little explanation on why tracking that during that time is best?

Capitalizations are kind of random, should they all be capitalized or all lowercase?

by military groups, intelligence gathering agencies, Slavers, Pirates, Bandits, Hunters, Foragers, and Scouts

Note: I do like that you included who may use it after this sentence in reference to the people of Mizahar.

Perhaps change this sentence from:

Knowing what can be found beyond a familiar area and what to look for is a vital part of the information gathering process, and being able to determine different print types is some scouts are renown for.

to something like:

Knowing what can be found beyond a familiar area and what to look for is a vital part of the information gathering process, being able to determine different print types is what some scouts are renown for.

(Under Competent) Change:

Recognising and categorising

To:

Recognizing and categorizing

(Under Expert) Change:

though different environments,

To:

through different environments,

(Under Master) Change:

the master track skilled

To:

a master tracker skilled

Add a comma? (added it in red)

their every move, if they so choose.

Thank you for working on this! I hope my review can help and if there are any questions please shoot me a PM and let me know.
Firenze
Food, or Friend?

Words: 674676
Joined roleplay: October 8th, 2014, 8:25 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Mizahar Grader (1) Artist (1)
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) 2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Tribal on December 21st, 2015, 6:22 am

Firenze that was a fantastic review! Thank you so much for all of your feedback. I ignored the English to American spelling as I was told that wouldn’t be an issue, but everything else has been implemented. Cheers.

Azmere, I liked your input regarding the animal husbandry prerequisite and will go into greater detail with sound and time when time permits.

Last edited by Tribal on December 21st, 2015, 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tribal
Lost in the Tall Grass

Office
Plotnotes

Next