WD Braindump 2015

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This is the first step to starting a lore article. Please hold all conversations about lores here in this forum. No development takes place here ie Article posting. This forum is simply for threads that want to hash out what a lore should or shouldn't include as well as its merits and flaws. One can also gauge interest in new lore here as well. Polls are encouraged.

Moderator: Scribes

WD Braindump 2015

Postby Amunet on December 12th, 2015, 4:45 pm

Now that i got that off my chest, my goals for assisting with world development are the following projects starting 2016 if this helps what we are talking about. I know this was about 2015, but i honestly don't have any time till the end of the year to put towards development.

Cyphrus Botanical index.
This a huge project: trees, shrubs, grasses, vines, ground cover, herbs, moss/lichen, fungus are among the category types. The Sea of Grass will have a large section of grasses. Like the sea, there are multiple different types of seaweeds, there should be various types of grasses that evolved for various purposes.

Healing lore expanded
I am eager to bring the knowledge and experience i have in healing modalities into the healing lore of Mizahar. This will combine concepts of Reiki and Qigong.

Meditation lore expanded
I have some knowledge in this as well and the lore is not developed though there is a page for it and this would be something right up my alley to put in lore for.
Amunet
**The Healer** There has to be a better way!

Words: 565239
Joined roleplay: July 11th, 2015, 3:30 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

WD Braindump 2015

Postby Sayana on December 12th, 2015, 5:06 pm

As a grader, I'd like to make a few comments on game mechanics regarding a reputation system. With a new reputation system, it would require additional work for graders or STs. I know that currently graders sometimes forget to award Shield Points in Syliras, or they shy away from grading in that city due to the extra things to consider. Not to say this happens to everyone, but I've seen a couple of cases where it happened.

I like Azmere's idea of making it simply the number of threads you have in that region. It's simple and doesn't require additional 'administration' tasks by the staff or graders.

Although, frankly I just roleplay the reputation factor into my own threads based on the skill level of the character. At Expert, you're probably going to start being known within your city (unless you take steps to prevent that). And at Master, people are probably going to start knowing you potentially in other cities too. Whether it is through rumors, bards, hearsay, or word of mouth, I figure the word will start to spread around.

Additionally, in terms of persuading NPCs to help you out (by kindly persuasion or by intimidation), there are already skills for that: Persuasion, Negotiation and Intimidation. I use these frequently with Sayana to exchange favors or to get a NPC to help me out temporarily. Also Leadership would be another skill that would encourage NPCs to rally to your PC.

So I'm on the fence as to whether we actually need a reputation system. We also lack graders as it is.
Sayana
Dancing in the rain...

Words: 1543550
Joined roleplay: September 22nd, 2014, 12:38 am
Race: Eypharian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Peer Reviewer (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Syliras Seasonal Challenge (1) Alvadas Seasonal Challenge (1)

WD Braindump 2015

Postby Eosi on December 12th, 2015, 5:53 pm

Good ideas all around folks. Let's focus less on the reputation system and more on the wiki development for now.
Eosi
Act first. Teach them to fear you.

Words: 244471
Joined roleplay: November 20th, 2012, 7:42 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

WD Braindump 2015

Postby Nivel on December 12th, 2015, 5:59 pm

Sayana does have some valid points. Until I got the hang of it Shield points they were kind of a pain in the but to remember and I after I've done threads from other regions I find myself forgetting again.
Theres also the fact that very few if anyone actually ever uses the shield points, I think the only person that cashed them in was Katelyn Marks and that was a while ago.
I plan to cash them in when I reach 400 so I can get something hella cool, (Although I want to see about modding it myself or maybe having a prompt made or something)
I am starting to feel that the only real purpose for rewards systems is to get actual rewards and that should probably be up to the Story teller of the region if they want to deal with that.
I think Shield points work because squires don't make an income so they get shield points instead.

On another note I might look into doing an article on Sewing or knitting/crochet. I wanted to try to do an update on Pycons but I think that might have to wait. (It still bugs me that the lore on pycons says months instead of seasons.) Plus there's things that might need further explanation on pycons since their such a weird race.
Last edited by Nivel on December 12th, 2015, 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nivel
The Pint-Sized Mage

Words: 461307
Joined roleplay: March 24th, 2014, 7:06 pm
Race: Pycon
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Donor (1)

WD Braindump 2015

Postby Factorum on December 12th, 2015, 6:13 pm

On a side note, Astator and I are working actively on an updated and new Character creation guide.
[size=200]
I will be reviewing CS's and checking messages on Tuesdays and Thursdays. If you need it checked before these days, reach out to a storyteller and they will know how to get a hold of me. Thank you.
[size]
Factorum
Player

Words: 8797
Joined roleplay: November 22nd, 2015, 4:41 am
Race: Staff account

WD Braindump 2015

Postby Astator on December 12th, 2015, 6:17 pm

Also, I want to point something out with the reputation system: It would be too difficult to ingrain into existing characters that are have hardlined themselves.

Reputation and Renown come through word of Mouth in Mizahar. Reputation takes in so much more than just skills, number of threads, etc. It is perceptions. People are going to hear about this person sure, but until they seem them or really get a grasp of what they can do, zero reputation beyond 'Oh damn there is someone somewhere damn good at this thing.'
Which way do you want to go? Up or Down?

Attention Players, Graders, and Storytellers:

A character sheet does not require the green checkmark for the player to roleplay. This is just a notification to all that the character sheet has passed through the Liaisons thorough checklist and meets Mizahar standards.

All sheets with a large red X or a speech bubble beside their thread title do not recieve grades and cannot continue threads they are currently involved in until all issues have been fixed and verified.

She said down...

Template Credit: 'Ello!, Helping Hands and Red-X Gift codes and images are from Firenze.

Image Credit: 'Ello Worm, Helping Hands Hands, and Avatar are all from the movie Labyrinth.

I will be handling all CSL related posts on Thursdays @ 1800 my time *
Astator
Helping Hands.

Words: 101205
Joined roleplay: January 30th, 2013, 3:34 pm

WD Braindump 2015

Postby Eosi on December 12th, 2015, 6:25 pm

Just so everyone is clear, the reputation system I was proposing is not intended to resemble shield points or the perk point system. It would be a four level system each player could work toward, like gnosis levels.

Perk points and rewards are something different entirely. Like grave points and every other iteration of the point system every place has ever had, it focuses more on OOC site development with rewards to the character than IC plot development with rewards to the character. But even with that clarification, it may be unnecessary. Plus, we're going to globalize a perk point system for the whole site. And by we, I mean me. :ninja:

Since I was struggling to find the adoptable articles thread that once existed, I am going to post some articles that could use expansion or outright development below:

• Geography
  • Economy
  • Bells [of Tanroa]
  • ANYTHING RELATED TO EYKTOL
  • Skyglass
  • Chiet
  • Locksmithing
  • Politics
  • Cosmetology
  • Stubs
If anyone else wouldn't mind just nosing around the wiki for stuff to be worked on, I would be super grateful!
Eosi
Act first. Teach them to fear you.

Words: 244471
Joined roleplay: November 20th, 2012, 7:42 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

WD Braindump 2015

Postby Nivel on December 12th, 2015, 6:26 pm

Factorum wrote:On a side note, Astator and I are working actively on an updated and new Character creation guide.

Awesome :P I hope that goes well.
Nivel
The Pint-Sized Mage

Words: 461307
Joined roleplay: March 24th, 2014, 7:06 pm
Race: Pycon
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Donor (1)

WD Braindump 2015

Postby Alija on December 12th, 2015, 6:34 pm

Well I've been working on a fortunetelling article for ages now, so that's something you don't have to worry about.
Although I would like some help with that *hint, hint*.

About the reputation system, I think it is quite cool but would be hard to implement. It might be easier to have people assume things according to their character's skills, PC and NPC relations, and just knowing what sort of things their character might do. For example, Alija wouldn't be well known in Nyka because she is fairly knew, but a lot of women who are pregnant or have young children in her quarter would know of her because of [url=http://www.mizahar.com/forums/topic62095.html]this thread[/url.]. In my threads, I use this knowledge to consider how people would act towards her.
Alija
Blacksmith and Aurist

Words: 349054
Joined roleplay: November 11th, 2014, 6:35 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

WD Braindump 2015

Postby Gossamer on December 12th, 2015, 7:58 pm

Here's a thought. I, like a lot of people, are on the fence about a Reputation/Renown System. I don't want an overly complex system put in place and like others I don't want more work for graders or something that's inserted into the game that can't be utilized by PCs that have been here since day one.

It's going to be very difficult to design a system that works for everyone, but that's what we need if demand requires it. Also, Gillar has a Merchant Master in place for a multi-tired business person who juggles more than one business. Why? Because he didn't want business ownership to be a n end game for high level PCs.

Just a thought. We might want this reputation system to be something for end-game PCs to continue to expand. There are a lot of maxed out PCs in the game now.

This is NOT something that is also already approved. I was more than willing to let Kate talk about it with people to see where the interest is. I don't want to shut anything down if there's an overwhelming demand for it. But something like this needs to be fluid, easy, painless... and not unwieldy and overburdening.

But more importantly I do think we need to talk about having some new ideas injected into the game so we can keep growing and changing. I can't write all the lore. I've wrote massive amounts in the past. But I can't do that and run the site and play. Slack needs to be taken up.

That means ACTUALLY developing lore, not sitting on it for ages or claiming it and then not actively showing work on articles. Really, fleshing out more of the lore goes a long way to really fleshing out our Mizahar experiences and gives us as PCs and Staff more tools to utilize.

To that end, I'm putting in a global perk point system this weekend finally to get more tools out there for fair incentives for ALL Pcs to get some development done.

I think we need Scribes that are active. I think we need writers that are talented and creative enough to write articles. And I think we need to push these articles through.

Do I think we need plants and animals? No. I think we need ideas, concepts, monsters, factions.... think of Mizahar as a clean room with no decorations. We need Christmas lights, garland, and a glorious tree all proudly displayed. We have some of that now, but its never enough.
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6357243
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

PreviousNext