Closed Death and Business [2][Clyde]

Grand Oath

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

Death and Business [2][Clyde]

Postby Shimoje on May 2nd, 2016, 2:48 am

Shimoje watched almost entranced by the work that Clyde was doing. Every stroke of the quill was like artwork, and the markings across the parchment were utterly beautiful. Although no recognizable words were seen at first, just symbols, Shimoje wondered if these marking the work of another language or a magic in and of itself. Thinking back to the way that the grand oath was made and how it is magical he led to the conclusion that whatever markings these were they were indeed magical.

He was completely unaware of what the markings could have meant, but finally after a few bells of waiting Shimoje saw Clyde start to copy the portions of the rough draft onto the grand oath. The workmanship and detail he put into it took a few more bells. Shimoje’s feet started to tire from the standing, but the offer of taking a seat was not acknowledged, and he didn’t wish to feel as if he was intruding on the mage’s workplace more than he already has. He almost not even dare to move because of the dog.

Once the grand oath was completed Shimoje glanced over it, trusting that nothing had changed. He made the appearance of reading through it all once more, but more or less was just staring at the way that the words were written. He was still entranced by how nice the grand oath looked. With a brief moment of hesitation Shimoje picked up the quill, gently tapping it to release some of the extra ink on the bottle, and proceeded to sign his name taking his time.

Shimoje Arawn

If it was one thing that his father taught him it was that someone’s full name has power to itself. That is the reason mainly of why Shimoje rarely ever gives out his last name, even when asked. In his past his father explained to him that his last name could give a person more information from others, how to find him, and even be used against him. Though, that didn’t hold much precedence now. He was in another land, and his father dead. Most even regard to his name as being strange and foreign so it’s not like what his father had said in his past held much to it in any regard.

Once fully signed Shimoje stood in awe as the paper burst to flames. All of that for the paper to mysteriously combust. It was bewildering and shocked him, but in all of that it vanished as well, with nothing left behind. He was in such shock that he couldn’t really speak a word. He would most likely wait for the mage to make the next move, and hopefully continue on with their deal. Though, he couldn’t be completely for sure.

All of this was just too real to be true, and surely this memory would stay with him for a while. Finally Shimoje gathered up the courage to speak. “So what now, Clyde?” Shimoje asked in a level headed tone.
Last edited by Shimoje on September 14th, 2016, 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shortly after departure of the Tipsy Wench, a deeply held secret started to show itself as Shimoje's mental stability started to become more clear. His hand will bear the mark of Lykata and glow with a symbol of Lormar.

test

Imagetest test testtest testtestesteste testtettttttt Image

test
Shimoje
Scientist

Words: 301120
Joined roleplay: March 26th, 2016, 11:25 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Clyde Sullins on May 2nd, 2016, 11:13 pm

Clyde gestured at where the oath had lain, a small smile no his face.

“Now? Now it has taken effect. Once an oath is signed and accepted, it leaves in one manner or another, leaving nothing behind. Not really sure how that works... But if it was still here, then we'd know it hadn't been accepted, and wasn't in affect.”

“Since its gone, that means it is in affect.”

Taking a moment, Clyde stretched, flexing his arms and legs after his work on the oath. Clyde pulled out the chair at the desk, gesturing at Shimoje, and then took a few steps back. He preferred to talk from a standing position while teaching, as it helped him get his message across and speak from a position of power and authority.

“Anywho, on to the magic. The magic in question, which I believe is the one your fathers letter implied, is called Animation. At its basic it allows one to give an imitation of life to an object, with all that such a thing entails. I'm not overly skilled in it, though I have made a golem, which is what you call a creation of animation.”

“You basically use another soul, another thing, and use it as a template of sorts, creating a new soul from the ground up, which is placed inside of the body, the golem. I've seen ones on Sahova that were quite fancy, able to move and talk, walk and roll. Complex creations of wood and metal. That is what is possible for a skilled user, something I'm not.”

“You can infuse knowledge into the golem, or even motion if the body is made right and allows it. If you animate a rock, it can't move, but if the golem has the capability then the golem should also be capable of motion, and even other senses with comparable replacements for the sensing apparatus.”

“At its highest level however, it becomes possible to infuse a living soul into a golem, or in the usual case a dead body. This is how the undead race the Nuit are made. Using Animation to transfer a living soul from a living body, into a dead one, thus giving them continuity. If it works... Which it doesn't always.”

“If your father died as an Animator, I think there are two likely reasons. One, he died in a failed attempt at becoming a nuit, and instead of having his soul transferred over and making him immortal in a sense, it didn't take and he died truly.”

“The second option that occurs to me is that one of his creations killed him. Golems if not well made can act unexpectedly. It occurred on Sahova sometimes. If one of his didn't work, it might have been responsible for his death.”
Clydes Stuff

I am actually in RL a super intelligent hamster from Rhode Island, with a 7 year plan to take over the world.

Update 6/2/18- 1:10AM EST: His 7 year plan a success, and several weeks ahead of schedule, Clyde leaves to oversee the world he has taken over.

No new threads after end of Spring 518-Will still be checking for PM's occasionally, but focusing on a new character.

Graders note: :
Please be aware Clyde is a master Magecrafter. He therefore should not be gaining full xp(or possibly shouldn't gain any at all) for simple tasks related to this magic, such as low level MC items, particularly for repetitions of creations he has done before. Feel free to contact me if unsure of a instance of his magic use compared to his skill level.
Clyde Sullins
Player

Words: 2343955
Joined roleplay: June 18th, 2011, 1:14 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Shimoje on May 3rd, 2016, 1:27 am

Shimoje took the kind gesture and placed his hand on the chair carefully just before sitting down. The grand oath was successful. Almost immediately Clyde started to go on about the magic, which he had revealed to be Animation. Not soon after Shimoje scrambled through his pack and brought out his own parchment, quill, and ink. Scooting himself a little bit closer to the desk, Shimoje started to take notes quickly of what Clyde was explaining. These notes would hopefully help him remember and help formulate sound thoughts before questioning the mage. He was familiar with the act of taking notes, seeing as how he was Zeltivian born, and most children of Zeltiva go through a school there.

Shimoje didn’t even dare try to question some of the aspects of what he spoke while he was teaching him of this foreign magic. His jotted down what he could.

“Animation:
The art of giving imitation life to objects. Can create golems.
Using souls as a template and another thing: creates a new soul from the ground up.
Sahova has complex golems able to speak, move, talk.
Infuse knowledge, motion into it if made right
Can’t animate a rock, has to have capabilities to move?
Possible to have other senses as well?
Infuse a living soul into golem or dead body. Nuit?
Father was an animator, and possibly died by trying to become a nuit or one of his golems killed him.”

The notes were hastily made, but Shimoje could make out his own handwriting well enough. Shimoje looked up to Clyde and started to annotate some aspects of his notes towards him. “So animation is the act of creating new souls for things that currently doesn’t have them? This might imply that when someone dies their souls leaves their body. If this is the case, then how does one transfer the souls exactly?” Shimoje spoke as he contemplated the act of sacrifice. He had witnessed sacrificial acts once before, not too far from Syliras. He almost wondered what made this any different. He thought on it some more that the souls become bound to the object that the mage would try to Animate. “So what would keep that souls from remembering the ordeal or leashing back on the performer of the animation? I suppose that is what you meant be how it doesn’t work properly and can make the animation act unexpectedly.”

Shimoje’s thought trifled about what he had just said and perhaps answered his own question. Though, through this he was still curious in how it was done. “So you can remove your own soul to try and animate a dead body. What if someone tried to take a dead body and put something in it that could be animated and then performed the animation with another souls besides his own? To explain, if you took something you could make into a golem and put it into a preserved body?” Shimoje’s questions were perhaps getting too far into it, and he was overthinking things once again like he did while trying to be stealthy on the way to the lab.

“Could you perhaps try your hand at animation once again to allow me to see how it is done?”
Shimoje asked dangerously. He wanted to see it to believe it, and he knew that he himself would not be capable of such things at this time. Furthermore, Shimoje was a carver himself, and had some disassembled pieces in his bag that might be able to be used. The only thing missing was a soul. Shimoje remembered back to the night before with the interaction he had with Sayana, he remembered the rats. Catching one should be easy enough, some were fairly slow and fairly stupid, and perhaps this dog might be able to perform a task of catching an animal?

As Shimoje replayed more of the notes in the back of his mind his face seemed to screw with the concentration of how it just didn’t make much sense to him at this current time. Turning back to the parchment to examine something he had a newfound fervor. “Clyde, might I also ask. If my father was to actually attempt to make himself a nuit, surely he was not being as honorable of a man as I had been raised to believe. This act goes against some Zeltivian principles. Family is very important in Zeltiva, and as far as I can remember I had been somewhat of an outcast to my father. I dare not get you involved with my past life, that is where it should remain, but … what does that exactly mean?”

He had read way too far into the situation, and just as matters of magic had quickly turned to matters of personal affairs Shimoje shook his head and was disappointed in himself. How could he not have seen such a thing sooner? Was he truly that naïve that he couldn’t even grasp this simple concept that didn’t make sense until now? From that moment Shimoje had a newfound purpose and resolve. He vowed to himself to never be the kind of man to hold family and even friends in such a manner. The thought of even staying in Syliras to learn more crossed his mind, but he had a sense of adventure and discovery that could not be tainted. Even if Clyde decided to teach Shimoje more of magic, which was no guarantee at all, he wanted to explore. He had to explore, and he would do it one way or another. As if somehow through exploring he would find himself and who he is.

Shimoje’s hands slapped against his face in frustration and with a quick release from his face he dropped them onto his lap. “Well Clyde, I would really love to see exactly how this Animation occurs or learn more of animation as much as you can provide me.”

With his last sentence Shimoje’s bright green eyes were glistening with a spark of inner fire that desired to learn more.
Shortly after departure of the Tipsy Wench, a deeply held secret started to show itself as Shimoje's mental stability started to become more clear. His hand will bear the mark of Lykata and glow with a symbol of Lormar.

test

test
Shimoje
Scientist

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Clyde Sullins on May 6th, 2016, 1:55 am

Clyde stifled a sigh as Shimoje began to tear through his things, and then began to feverishly take notes.

He almost argued with him on the point, as it was a rather unsafe thing to do leaving notes about magic in existence. It was one of the reasons he was giving the lesson verbally, in the relative safety from prying ears of his lab.

But then he recalled the wording of the oath, and decided against arguing. Shimoje wouldn't be physically capable of being careless with the notes, because if he did he would be exposing Clyde's secrets, his knowledge. Which he couldn't do.

He wasn't sure how it would be enforced, if he might even be forced to destroy the notes should he think someone might see them, but he left that to be Shimoje's problem.

His next comment about souls and leaving the body at death actually did make Clyde roll his eyes at his student, at his stupidity.

“Of course a soul leaves the body when they die! How else the petch would ghosts exist! Ghosts are body-less souls, golems pre-animation are soulless bodies.”

“As for how its done, I don't know exactly, I'm not a master Animator. I've seen it attempted, and basically the Animator transferred the dying soul as it left the body, and put it into the golem. Of course the time I saw it the attempt failed, and the person died. I don't know the specifics, and I doubt any but the highest caliber of Animator would understand the concepts involved, let alone be able to attempt it.”

“Maybe if you asked a few less questions, while I'm still explaining things and haven't gotten through my explanation, and didn't twist my words, you'd get more answers. I can't tell you everything at once Shim, I teach in bits and bites, that's the only way to explain topics like these if you want to retain and understand anything. Just because I pause for a moment doesn't mean I'm done explaining things.”

Clyde paused for a moment, letting out a sigh, and giving Shimoje a short annoyed glare.

“Now, I said quite clearly did I not, that you use a soul as a TEMPLATE! I did not say every instance of Animation transfers over an entire soul. Only the highest order of Animators can do that. A basic Animation's soul is but a caricature, a rough sketch of a soul, not a real soul. Everything brought across must be done with purpose, bit by bit. Everything. Thats why the more complex golems can take so long to make.”

“The golems can't remember anything from the transfer, don't act oddly because of some treatment, unless you specifically bring those memories across. They aren't a soul, they are an imitation, just as a child playing int he mud making a mud castle next to Syliras isn't making a real castle. They might have some points in common, but they are not the same.”

“As for transferring a person over, think about that Shim. Why would they act oddly or not function right? They are a person, an actual soul, simply in a new flesh. You don't make them. They either get transferred over completely, or not at all. The artificial souls, they might mess up, might work in unexpected ways, but that's because they weren't made properly or you messed up. When I spoke of golems messing up, I spoke of these artificial ones. A golem. A person transferred over isn't a golem, its a nuit. An undead. A living soul in a decaying body.”

“It doesn't matter what you put it in, if you put it into a doorknob, or a wall, or a dead body, if you place an artificial made soul in it then its a golem.”

While Clyde said this as if he knew it, some of the thoughts were ones he was also puzzling out himself. He had the disparate facts, ghosts, nuit, golems, dead bodies, but he'd never put them together in quite that particular way in reference to Animation. As always when he taught it made him think about things, and often he learned a bit about the topic himself.

Using his own logic, and running through the questions in his head, he was able to put together a sure sounding answer even on the points he was less than sure on.

Which admittedly with his basic understand of Animation which entailed a few lessons and one golem creation, weren't that broad.

But then he'd also spent time on Sahova amongst many golems and nuit, and so perhaps had without realizing it picked up on certain facts along the way.

At his questioning of if Clyde would attempt a work of Animation, Clyde let out another annoyed sigh.

Shimoje was far to impatient, which was not a good sign in someone attempting to learn magic. Particularly someone who wished to be initiated by Clyde. It was yet another factor that made him want to put off teaching him to use any magic.

“Not today. Maybe another time. Perhaps if you make something for me to animate, something simple. And that does NOT mean make something now! I don't want you messing about with blades and wood off in a corner for five chimes, slapping together some oddity. Put some petching time and thought into it.”

“This isn't a practical lesson, I've barely even gotten across the basic theory, let alone told you about the process itself. I've told you about Animation the magic, but I've told you nothing about how to Animate. And you need to know about that a good deal before you would even understand what I was doing if I did show you. And I'm not going to tell you everything today. Who is the teacher? And let me tell you, me droning on endlessly with line after line after bell after bell of talking wouldn't get anything across. That's not how I teach.”

When he brought up his father, and his point of view about it, Clyde just shook his head.

“You seem to have a firm idea of honor and principles. Something I like to call assumptions and prejudice. You know nothing about what he did, or why he did it. You don't even know what it means to become a nuit. So don't go assuming things about it which you don't know. A man who stuck his hand into a fire might call it evil, and refuse to go near it again. But then he'd be left cold and eaten raw food. Don't go making assumptions or generalizations from half knowledge. What the petch does trying to become a nuit have to do with his caring or lack of caring for his family?”

“Besides, you don't make yourself a nuit, you get made a nuit. Someone else does it, you can't do it to yourself as far as I know. Least not with Animation.”
Clydes Stuff

I am actually in RL a super intelligent hamster from Rhode Island, with a 7 year plan to take over the world.

Update 6/2/18- 1:10AM EST: His 7 year plan a success, and several weeks ahead of schedule, Clyde leaves to oversee the world he has taken over.

No new threads after end of Spring 518-Will still be checking for PM's occasionally, but focusing on a new character.

Please be aware Clyde is a master Magecrafter. He therefore should not be gaining full xp(or possibly shouldn't gain any at all) for simple tasks related to this magic, such as low level MC items, particularly for repetitions of creations he has done before. Feel free to contact me if unsure of a instance of his magic use compared to his skill level.
Clyde Sullins
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Shimoje on May 6th, 2016, 10:26 pm

Shimoje was finished taking his notes and remembered the facts of the oath and preventing others from learning of the secrets which Clyde was teaching him. In that action Shimoje properly marked out each of the sentences he had taken with very thick and dark line of ink before crumpling up the paper and throwing it in his pack.

Now understanding more of the facts of Animation that Clyde had explained to him, Shimoje was almost annoyed that he wouldn’t get to learn more in this day, but still he had enough to try and grasp onto. “Fairly well Clyde.” He had stated to the mage. “I seriously doubt that five chimes would even do it, though. Perhaps around five days?” He had stated and before giving ample enough time for Clyde to respond he headed towards the door of the lab and was about to exit when he looked back solemnly and said “Yes, around five days should be alright."

Shimoje didn’t await and was eager to get back to his apartments to begin his project. He would continue to walk back ignoring any attempts that someone might give him in communication along the way. His thoughts mostly to himself, and would reappear at Clyde’s door again on the 81st of spring.

test

test
Shimoje
Scientist

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Clyde Sullins on May 8th, 2016, 12:21 pm

Clyde shook his head slightly as Shimoje charged off, focused on his own thing or idea.

He considered stopping him, but then it appeared his focus was on a task of vague interest to Clyde, and so he let it be.

At least if nothing else it seemed he was taking his work a bit more seriously, saying he'd come back in five days time. He just hoped he woudn't return with anything to complicated, as he'd prefer to not mess up the animation on such a thing.

He also considered what he would bring, since Clyde had not had the chance to explain sensory apparatus to him. Which meant whatever he brought would have no means of sensing anything... Not a big deal for a simple thing.

Whatever he did manage would be simple, and not overly complicated by any means in terms of its mentality or actions.

Clyde sighed as he unlocked the lab door and let Shimoje out, locking it behind him.

In the meantime he had his own things to do.

Sitting in the chair at his writing desk, Clyde called Rye over, giving him a small pet on the back and ears. The dog however didn't respond, just staring at at Clyde with his red eyes that saw in ways his didn't.

He was a loyal dog, good at following orders from his master, but he'd had his spunk and uncertainty trained out of him in Ravok where he had purchased the Bozderan shadow hound.
Clydes Stuff

Clyde Sullins
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Dove Brown on September 13th, 2016, 9:28 pm

Don't forget to edit/delete your grade request. If you have any questions, comments or concerns regarding your grade, please do not hesitate to send me a PM.

Shimoje
Skills
  • Cosmetology 1
  • Socialisation 2
  • Observation 3
  • Subterfuge 1
  • Negotiation 1
  • Writing 1
Lores
  • Clyde: prefers to err on the side of caution
  • Overgiving: seductive but deadly
  • The oath sets the rules, you find the solutions
  • A name has power
  • Taking a Grand Oath
  • Grand Oath: bursts into flame once signed
  • Animation: gives life to objects
  • Animation: creates an artificial soul
Miscellaneous:
You are bound by the following Grand Oath:
I, the undersigned, hereby swear upon the divine halls of Ukalas and all those who dwell within that I shall do as follows:

- To not bring harm(defined later) to Clyde Sullins, either directly, indirectly, or through inaction, whether through means magical or mundane, unless said harm is to stop Clyde Sullin's assured and immediate death.

> In the case of Clyde Sullin's overgiving and total loss of control/inability to stop using magic when he should, the signee would be allowed to physically harm Clyde Sullins to hinder or stop him from using magic, so long as said action would not lead to the assured and immediate death of Clyde Sullins. Maiming would only be allowed as a last resort and if no other viable and less harmful method is possible.

- To not use magic on Clyde Sullins without his direct and express permission, or in the case that not using said magic would lead to Clyde Sullins assured and immediate death. In the case of having his permission or attempting to stop his demise, the signee would not use said magic in an attempt to control or manipulate Clyde Sullins, or to alter his reasoning or mentality.

-Duty- The signee will aid Clyde Sullins in his endeavors(to be defined later) in any way possible, within their ability, so long as said assistance will not directly lead to the assured death and/or permanent maiming of the signee or Clyde Sullins.

- The Signee will use all available means to remain in contact with Clyde Sullins, and to when possible meet up with Clyde Sullins whether in Syliras or in other places.

Definitions:

Endeavors- A goal, mission, plan, experiment, or action, that's end desired result is a gain for the maker or leader of said endeavor. Said gain can be related to research or career. (career to include the below mentioned socially and politically)

Harm- Any permanent damage, diminishment, or undermining to a person, in terms of the person (list to be expanded upon individually)physically, mentally, socially, politically, intellectually, and/or monetarily.

> physically- Their body and person- bodily harm and/or maiming/death.
> mentally- Their psyche or mentality, or mental well-being.
> socially- Their social standing or growth.
> politically- Their political standing or progression.
> intellectually- Their secrets or non-publicly held knowledge - disclosing said knowledge to third parties beyond Clyde and the signor.
> monetarily- Their possessions or property- to include damage, destruction, or theft.

Final Clause:

- The above mentioned duty clause, which requires the signor to aid Clyde Sullins in his endeavors, will activate and become enforced upon Clyde Sullins teaching the signor about the magic which he believes is mentioned in the signors fathers letter, which was shown to Clyde Sullins prior to the oath signing.

- The Signee will be released from the aforementioned Duty upon an agreement in writing and verbally agreed between both Clyde Sullins and the Signee, without duress and of each ones own free will, that said duty has ended.

signed Shimoje Arawn

Clyde Sullins
Skills
  • Animal husbandry 1
  • Planning 1
  • Writing 2
  • Animation 1
Lores
  • Shimoje: fails at sneaky
  • Drafting a Grand Oath to bind Shimoje
  • Glyphing Shimoje's Grand Oath
  • Shimoje: asks stupid questions

Comments: Nicely written, both of you. Enjoy your grades. I will ask Prophet to do the necessary SS work.
Very busy at work. May not be around much for a while.
Threads: 3/3

Dove Brown
Keeping my head, my backbone, and my heart

Words: 181194
Joined roleplay: July 30th, 2015, 9:36 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
Featured Character (1) Mizahar Mentor (1)
Mizahar Grader (1) Overlored (1)

Previous