OOC Info Discussion Table

A place for questions, comments, and general chat pertaining to Avanthal development.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Inside the Icehouse is Avanthal’s development subforum. This forum is designed to support all Avanthal players in an OOC manner and allow players across Mizahar to contribute to the development of the city and the Vantha race. Found within are the Suggestion Box and other threads meant to contribute towards the development of the city as well as threads to aid players in their story and plot planning process.

Discussion Table

Postby Junco on May 29th, 2016, 1:06 am

I'm sure that it simply hasn't been added to lore. How long as it been since that map was created? Has it ever been updated? Wind Reach doesn't have a sea trade route either though I know it has a port and I've seen some events where merchants of sorts come into Wind Reach to trade and travel.

Somewhere in Vantha/Avanthal lore I did read that the Inarta come to the city sometimes on their eagles. So that could be a source of trade by air. Though I doubt the eagles can care large things like building supplies...
Junco
Chris John Millington - Model

Words: 83397
Joined roleplay: May 26th, 2016, 10:14 pm
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Discussion Table

Postby Aladari Coolwater on May 30th, 2016, 3:58 am

Hey guys. I'm planning on coming to Avanthal eventually, so I was curious about this, too. Hope you don't mind if I jump in.

I was assuming that there was at least one sea route, even if it is minor, considering the fact that there are plenty of sailors and fishers in the Holds. That's how I explained my character's distance in the first place- her parents were out trading on the seas when she was born. Just like selling ice in the winter, it'd be pretty difficult to get the Vantha to buy the goods that they could easily collect themselves. On top of that, the lack of variation in their diets would be awful if they had no crops. So without both imports and exports, not only does the town struggle with population and such, it would also struggle with health and happiness. I find it difficult to believe they'd manage at all without significant trade.
"The sea always filled her with longing, though for what she was never sure."
- Cornelia Funke
Aladari Coolwater
Rock the boat.

Words: 267621
Joined roleplay: March 8th, 2016, 3:26 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
Sunberth Seasonal Challenge (1)

Discussion Table

Postby Junco on May 30th, 2016, 5:40 am

There is absolutely trade there is no question about that. Although the city does have some farming, and obviously fishing and hunting, they absolutely need to trade for other foods, building supplied other than their icestone, among many many other things that the Vantha do not have the skill or the materials to make.

I have been informed that Trade Routes are solely developed by Founders, so there's nothing officially we can do about that. But I think it is safe to say there is trade with other cities such as Wind Reach or The Spires. We just have to use our imagination and assume.
Junco

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Discussion Table

Postby Prophet on May 30th, 2016, 12:08 pm

I have updated the cuisine section of the linkmap. The farming aspect has been removed from Avanthal - the logistics of it made my skin crawl. Vantha eat mostly meat supplemented by dairy products (from sea mammals) and a small bit of greenery from sea plants. I do have in mind to create an underwater garden near Coolwater hold but just haven't gotten around to it yet.

In regards to your comment, Aladari, I have been doing some research on diets of the Inuit and Masai peoples to use as a comparison for the Vantha. The high fat and high protein diets seem contrary to what we have been taught for most of our lives. However, the human body is an amazing thing and over generations has learned to adapt to the alternate diet. The lack of carbs creates lean bodies while the massive amounts of protein and fat help to combat the extra work a body has to do to stave off the cold. The happiness aspect is something I'll leave to the individual. ;)

The trade question has been addressed in the Q&A. While a person(or Jamoura) with the right skills could navigate from the Spires to Avanthal, there would be very little they could transport from the Spires. Likewise, wind eagles can't fly across the bay but they could make the journey from the Spires but once again, their capacity would be limited. Thus, almost all trades run by sea from Lhavit and Wind Reach.

Hope this helps a bit for now.
Prophet
Cannibal of Faith

Words: 816271
Joined roleplay: January 16th, 2016, 5:18 am
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 2
Artist (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Discussion Table

Postby Argos on May 30th, 2016, 12:49 pm

Appreciate the updates Prophet :)

Just wanted to point out an inconsistency in the lore and the linkmap. The lore page states, in regards to Icewatch initiation,
Before one can become a member of the watch, they must undergo a test, in which they are expected to survive three nights out in the Northern Wastes,

The linkmap, however, states both
Once you have received ST approval to join Icewatch you will need to complete a moderated thread which requires your character has to survive for three days in the Northern Wastes.
and
To become an Apprentice one has to survive out in the wild for 10 days to prove they have the skills necessary to be independent and protect themselves or avoid predators.

Three seems to be the more agreed upon number, but ten days seems like the more realistic challenge. So which is it?
Argos
Just a pinch of madness

Words: 9438
Joined roleplay: May 28th, 2016, 2:37 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Discussion Table

Postby Junco on June 8th, 2016, 4:30 pm

Glowstone Games

Game Type: A hide and seek or scavenger hunt type game played with small stones painted with Skyglows glowing paint, this game has many different rules and ways to be played or tailored to ones wants. Below are listed two commonly played versions.

Version 1: A classic hide and seek game, where one child hides a certain number of stones, and another has to go find within a certain time limit. If the latter child does not find all the stones before time is up then the first child is the winner. If the latter child, however, does find the stones within the allotted time period then the first child is the loser.

Version 2: Multiple children are let loose to find stones, the one who comes back within the allotted time period with the most stones receives a prize. Or each stone has a small prize attached to it, and each child is awarded instantly for finding each stone.

Best played during the day as the glowing effects of the paint cause the stones to jump out from their hiding places, it can be deemed too easy to find during darkness where the glow can be seen off from large distances. The rules of the game can be changes numerous times to challenge the seekers, climbing trees, searching ruins or houses, as long as there is a reward in place, whether it be the joy of beating a friend, or earning prizes.

Shimoje was here?
Last edited by Junco on June 10th, 2016, 4:04 am, edited 3 times in total.
Junco

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Discussion Table

Postby Junco on June 8th, 2016, 4:53 pm

Northern Ruins

Deep in the Northern Wastes, many miles outside the gates of Avanthal, lay a desolate ruin of a small human settlement. Perhaps Pre-Valterrian, the city, seemingly unfit for the hazardous cold and snowy environment, remains somewhat intact, sporting wrecked cobblestone walls, pathways, and a watchtower as well as a small graveyard with dilapidated headstones. Although the majority of the city is lost to the elements, some walls, rooms and smaller artifacts still exist, battling against erosion and destruction. Not much is known about the settlement, although many archeologists and historians have braved the weather to study the ruins, it is now abandoned by its eager visitors who gave up on learning its secrets. Assumed to be a human city, judging by the simple architecture, many believe the humans were simply unfit for such a cold environment and died off soon after settling. The location of the ruins was never accurately documented, so travel to the town is difficult and most often directions are given by word of mouth, others simply stumble upon it.

Persons wishing to visit the ruins must know the general direction of the city, as well as be prepared for a long travel from the nearest populated city of Avanthal. Those not marked by Morwen should take extra care in traversing the desolate and freezing wastes, or else expect to succumb to cold before the destination is reached.

Although thought to have been combed thoroughly by historians, archeologists, anthropologists and the occasional treasure hunter, the town no doubt hides more secrets or artifacts its previous visitors were unable to unlock.

Larger Pic

Shimoje was here?
Last edited by Junco on June 10th, 2016, 4:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Junco

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Discussion Table

Postby Prophet on June 9th, 2016, 2:44 am

Junco-

Glowstones game! I love it... make the article a little more organized, please? Avanthal at no point in the history of the world was every a jungle. Sorry, I asked the powers that be and that was the answer. I like where you're going with the idea but the images don't fit and the scale of your ruins is just too much. Think smaller. :)
Prophet
Cannibal of Faith

Office
Scrapbook

Discussion Table

Postby Maro on June 9th, 2016, 1:26 pm

This is an idea that has been bouncing around in my head for a while. I don't know if it is possible, but I dearly hope so. I leave that up to you, Prophet, as well as the founders. I look forward to any comments or suggestions anyone has to improve this.

The Aurora Borealis

In the early days after the Valterrian, before Avanthal was born, there were times when darkness covered the North, and Syna’s and Leth’s light did not come for many days on end. It was Priskil who saw the need to spread light and, with it, hope. It was Her first great act after the loss of Her love to the plots of Sagallius. Even though She had taken on some of the powers of Her love, Aquiras, She still lacked the strength to complete the task on Her own, and so She turned to the other Gods and Goddesses for help. As seemed to be the case with every one of them, they wanted to leave their own mark on the creation, and every mark seemed to pervert the purpose of the light. All but one.

When Rhaus came to Priskil, He told Her of a vision He had of a beautiful creature gracing the skies over the Northern Wastes, one that outshone Syna and Leth both, but rather than just be a visual being, Rhaus wanted to give it a voice. The creature should be able to speak and to sing, no more, no less. She had intended the creature to be the Protector of the North when it seemed all other Gods and Goddesses had abandoned it, and Rhaus’ suggestion only gave the creature more power to do so. She acquiesced to the God of Song’s request, and the aroura borealis was born as the God and Goddess weaved song and light into the folds of the sky.

When Morwen took the Vantha north to find a place for them to live and for Her to retreat during the three seasons of the year when She was not active in the rest of Mizahar, they followed this strange new light in the sky, its dancing colors guiding them home. It was beneath this light that Avanthal was founded.

The Voice of the Aurora

In the early days of the creation of Avanthal, Morwen communed with the Aurora. She heard its song and, realizing the creature was alive, attempted to talk to it. The creature, having been born to protect the North and understanding who Morwen was and what She intended, took immediately to Her and spoke at great length with Her, but it had had no interaction with anyone since its creation. It didn’t understand the world the way humans or even the Goddess did. Instead, it merely talked about what it had seen and what it continue to see.

It was said that this was one of the greatest challenges Morwen had ever faced, but She was as formidable as the winter. With the patience of the ever-building snow, She taught the aurora how to converse in terms people would understand. The creature had been lovingly crafted by two deities and had a cold intelligence. It learned quickly and soon began to have regular chats with the Goddess as She watched over the creation of Her city. As the aurora grew more comfortable, Morwen revealed her discovery to Her people, and those who wished came to talk with the light of the North. As the Protector of the North, the aurora willingly spoke with any who came to it, but only twice did it consider someone to be its friend.

The fortunate two were not its creators. As much as it adored them for giving it life, they were nothing but distant memories; they had created it and left it to pursue more immediate concerns. No. It was Morwen and another who came much later.

But, as it seems happens with all good things, an end came. As Vantha seem want to do, they spread tales of what they had seen. Foreigners heard of the auroura, and some wished to gain the knowledge and power it had for themselves. Few were successful making it to the growing city. The wilds of the North protected themselves. Those who did make it, though, were the cleverest of those attempting, and they in no way lacked ingenuity or motivation to obtain what they had come for.

Morwen saw what was happening and struck down the offenders but not before the aurora was wounded. When the thieves were questioned, it was revealed that they had intended to take the aurora for its voice. It could see much and tell of it all. Anyone who could control such a power would undoubtedly be at an advantage. Justice was brutal and cold, and they were given undefended to the wilds of the North.

Consulting the aurora’s creators, Morwen brought them to nurse their wounded creation back to its former glorious self. Priskil infused it with more of Her light, but the creature wasn’t the same. It had retreated into itself. It wanted to hide. Morwen begged Rhaus to defend his creation by taking away that which had made it a target to begin with, but Rhaus refused to let the voice of the aurora die. Instead, He tasked the Vantha with its keeping, and from that day on, a single Vantha has always been blessed with the Voice of the Aurora.

The Voice of the Aurora is a spectacular gift. It lends the singer immense vocal beauty that few with a lifetime of practice could obtain. This voice is passed on at the whim of the aurora to keep those who hold it humble. When the aurora seeks a new carrier, it doesn’t necessarily choose based on musical talent. Rather, it chooses based on attributes only it could possibly understand. While the carrier is usually a Snowsong, this has not always been the case. Up until five years ago, Lee’ena was the Voice of the Aurora. At that time, the Voice was passed on to Neena.

The Temple of Aurora

During the events of the Djed Storm of 512 AV, Neena Snowsong sought solitude as a comfort. She found that the Kaliara Observation Deck was a great place to find some peace. Not to mention, it kept her out of the water that seemed to pervade everything. In the warm nights, she watched the aurora dancing through the sky, and on the nights when the wind wasn’t howling, Neena began to hear a voice. This troubled the young Snowsong, and she brought her worries to Morwen.

The two returned to the observation deck and waited, listening for what the girl had heard. For two full nights, even in the midst of the turmoil of the storm, the two anticipated the return of what Neena had heard. Their patience was rewarded. In the early hours of the second morning, a voice came. Morwen smiled, maybe for the first time since the storm had begun. There was no mistaking the voice of Her old friend. Somehow, through the power of the storm, the aurora had found its voice again, but it was changed. It was frightened by what had happened to it centuries prior, and it had forgotten how to speak in ways people understood.

But Morwen knew her old friend well, and She did understand it. She spent the rest of the night responding to its odd observations in between telling Neena the story of the aurora, its voice, and how it had lost it. Neena asked Morwen to construct a place for communing with the creature. The following year, when the effects of the storm had subsided and the world was frozen again as it should be, a place with open access to the sky where the aurora seemed to glow brightest was selected and a simple temple erected.

The Temple of Aurora was a very simple construction. It was a roofless building with a single room. Its round wall was constructed of icestone and built with perfect acoustics to enhance the sounds from the sky while dulling the roar of the wind. For any who wished to commune with the aurora, they needed only to enter and listen. But the new voice the aurora had found was a quiet one, and only by truly listening and stilling one’s mind could the aurora truly be heard.

*I leave the details of interaction with the aurora and its temple up to you, Prophet. As I imagine it, interaction with the aurora would be a moderator only thread. Meditation and, to a lesser extent, observation would be skills required to hear anything at all from the aurora, with hearing coming easier the more experience one has with those. Competent meditation would be the lowest level at which one would be able to hear the aurora. Those blessed by Rhaus and Priskil would also have an easier time hearing the creature.*
Maro
Player

Words: 179660
Joined roleplay: August 11th, 2014, 1:56 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Donor (1) Power Fork (1)

Discussion Table

Postby Prophet on June 9th, 2016, 11:10 pm

Sadly, Maro, the Auroras can never have a voice or be sentient.

I do think, if presented properly, that we might be able to do something with 'The Voice of the Aurora' as an ability but it will have to be an exceptional idea to gain the approval of the higher ups. Also, instead of a temple, maybe you could make some kind of performing center/concert hall dedicated to the Auroras.

-P
Prophet
Cannibal of Faith

Office
Scrapbook

PreviousNext