OOC Info Discussion Table

A place for questions, comments, and general chat pertaining to Avanthal development.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Inside the Icehouse is Avanthal’s development subforum. This forum is designed to support all Avanthal players in an OOC manner and allow players across Mizahar to contribute to the development of the city and the Vantha race. Found within are the Suggestion Box and other threads meant to contribute towards the development of the city as well as threads to aid players in their story and plot planning process.

Discussion Table

Postby Junco on June 10th, 2016, 4:18 am

Prophet: I have edited both posts. I hope that's what you mean by more organized for the Glowstone Games, and I changed the ruins to a basic human settlement instead.
Junco
Chris John Millington - Model

Words: 83397
Joined roleplay: May 26th, 2016, 10:14 pm
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Discussion Table

Postby Solemn Warborn on June 11th, 2016, 10:26 am

Quick question, Prophet. Do training threads at the Stadium need to be moderated?
Solemn Warborn
Even the broken can hope.

Words: 127195
Joined roleplay: April 22nd, 2014, 2:23 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Discussion Table

Postby Junco on June 16th, 2016, 10:18 pm

So I noticed while browsing the linkmap that the description of Mirror Lake describes some purchases that can be made there such as:
If someone wants to skate but does not own any skates they can rent or buy skates from Savina. She also offers lessons to people who do not know how to skate with the help of her brother Aldin.
and
Savina sells warm drinks and food to people who need a break from the cold.

Yet there is no Price List within the Location page. So I thought I'd make one up for it.

Skates: 2gm a pair
Skate Rentals (Per Day): 6sm a day

Hot Chocolate: 1sm
Hot Tea: 1sm
Hot Coffee: 1sm
Apple Cider: 3sm
Hard Apple Cider: 7sm
Spiked Coffee: 5sm
Hot Meal: 6sm

Skating Lessons: 1 bell - 2sm
3 bells - 7sm
6 bells - 1gm
Full day - 2gm

Honestly I made the majority of these up so they probably all suck. But at least its an outline. Let me know what you think.

Shimoje was here?
Junco

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Discussion Table

Postby Aladari Coolwater on June 17th, 2016, 12:34 am

Being of the Coolwater type, I was looking through the Coolwater lore and I noticed, although the lore says they are good at navigation and astrology, there are no locations dedicated to those skills in the hold.

Would it be plausible for me to write up a sort of lighthouse/observatory near the water? It could serve as a place to learn about the stars and how to navigate with them, and also just a place to observe the skies for personal or spiritual purposes.

On top of that, would it make sense for them to have a library of maps, maybe? There could be maps of various cities and a few regions (of varying accuracy) kept for copying. Here they could also rent out expensive navigation equipment such as compasses, spyglasses, or sighting lenses.

If anybody thinks either of those sounds workable, I'll get a real write-up figured out soon.
"The sea always filled her with longing, though for what she was never sure."
- Cornelia Funke
Aladari Coolwater
Rock the boat.

Words: 267621
Joined roleplay: March 8th, 2016, 3:26 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
Sunberth Seasonal Challenge (1)

Discussion Table

Postby Junco on June 17th, 2016, 12:54 am

Aladari:

Would it be plausible for me to write up a sort of lighthouse/observatory near the water?

That sounds like a really awesome concept, though Avanthal already has a lighthouse! Its called the Frostpoint Lighthouse and although its not an observatory it does have a 'map room' of sorts, like you mentioned.
In the interior of the third floor a map room shares space with a reception area for visitors.

And the lighthouse also employs scribes for the very reason of copying. I do really like your idea of renting out expensive equipment because compass' and stuff like that are outrageous really. Maybe Prophet would let you add to the already existing lighthouse?

Shimoje was here?
Junco

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Discussion Table

Postby Alekxandra Winterflame on June 17th, 2016, 12:59 am

Okay so this is a very rough draft of the Practice Kitchens for the Winterflame Hold. Anyone is free to put in their input of course or suggestions! I did most of this on my phone so if there are any corrections needed let me know.

Practice Kitchens

Description: When it comes to learning how to cook, the practice kitchens of the Winterflame hold is at the top of the list. The kitchens are actually one very large room mostly made of wood, as the constant warmer temperature is not safe for Icestone. The kitchen itself is broken down into several small kitchen stations each with it’s own set of counters, island top, and fire. Most must bring their own meat, but herbs and vegetables are often available depending on the time of year.

While any are allowed to participate, the kitchens are run by Karali Winterflame, though her daughter and son also offer to teach or simply observe.

Products/Services: (If Applicable)

Employment and Training Info: (If Applicable)

NPC Info :
Name: Karali Winterflame
PoB: Avanthal, Taldera
DoB: Spring 23rd, 464 A.V.
Skills: Cooking 74, Herbalism 66, Leatherworking 52, Teaching 67, Food Preservation 53, Leadership 69
Gnosis: 1 mark of Morwen

Karali Winterflame is in charge of the kitchens. She handles any of the other teachers and also spends a lot of time teaching the basics of cooking to the younger children in the hold. She takes cooking very seriously and demands respect not only to herself, but to the kitchen itself. Anyone unwilling to follow her rules is kicked from the kitchens until they prove otherwise. While she’s harsh in her rules, she’s also very understanding and patient with her students. Anyone in need of extra one on one time she freely gives her time to.

NPC Info :
Name: Essay Winterflame
DoB: Summer 78th, 488 A.V.
Skills: Vinting 61, Cooking 58, Teaching 78, Organization 70, Leadership 55
Gnosis: 1 mark of Morwen

Unlike her mother Karali, Essay enjoys the art of winemaking far more than cooking. The only thing Essay enjoys more than vinting however is organization. Between the two she’s very dedicated to her work and projects. Whenever there is a celebration that needs attention in the hold Essay is one of the first to respond. She’s fairly laid back in her teaching as well compared to her mother, though she doesn’t help in the kitchens unless her mother is in need of an extra teacher.

NPC Info :
Name: Lorval Winterflame
DoB: Spring 9th, 492 A.V.
Skills: Leatherworking 50, Cooking 47, Teaching 41, Sculpting 54, Baking 61
Gnosis: 2 marks of Morwen

Unlike his sister and mother, Lorval prefers baking whenever possible. It isn’t too often he gets to use his baking skills unless it’s for a special occasion. Most of his time is spent preparing the meats that come in for cooking in the future and ensuring they stay fresh. Otherwise he is sculpting in his free time or assisting his mother in overseeing the students while they cook.
Alekxandra Winterflame
Player

Words: 109020
Joined roleplay: May 10th, 2016, 6:56 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Discussion Table

Postby Aladari Coolwater on June 17th, 2016, 4:04 am

Ah, must've skipped over the lighthouse, Junco. Good catch.

In that case, here's a pitch for the shipwright location that needs to be filled out. Let me know what you guys think of the repair prices. I couldn't decide whether to list at a rate for different repairs, or whether to do it on a sliding scale.

Kesuk's Ship Shack

Kesuk's Ship Shack stands in the Coolwater Hold, just on the edge of the docks. It is a wooden building which is rather low to the ground, and so is often blocked by snow and ice. However, should one manage to move through the snow, they will find a single Vantha inside by the name of Kesuk, who crafts the finest ships of anyone in the Coolwater Hold.

The inside of the shack is rather simple, furnished with various wood benches and tables, as well as an hearth, which is only occasionally lit for visitors without Morwen's mark. Most of the time, Kesuk can be found at the small adjacent workshop, where he carves figureheads and weather vanes, which can be commissioned or purchased for a price.

Products/Services: :
Ships, ship extras, or weaponry are the same as the price list. Ship repair is based on the damage to the ship, and how large it is.
Simple Repairs/CheckupPatching small leaks, sanding or varnishing outside, replacing ropes and anchor or nets, repairing/replacing oars*: 10% of ship's original price
Significant RepairsPatching sails, repainting, patching holes smaller than a fist's size, fixing till or rudder*: 25% of ship's original cost
Major RepairsReplacing sails, patching holes larger than a fist's size, replacing till or rudder:50% of ship's cost

*multiple simple or significant repairs may cause the price to rise to "Major repairs"

NPC :
Name: Kesuk Coolwater
DoB: 2nd of Summer, 443 AV
Skills: Shipwrighting- 76, Carpentry- 52, Carving- 33, Painting- 24
Gnosis: 1 Mark of Morwen

Perhaps because of the rather dull interior, anyone who enters the shack will likely first notice Kesuk's eyes, which are frequently colored a jolly, bright gold. Kesuk loves visitors, despite the closed-off nature of his home, and will always have a soft chair and drink ready for anyone who comes in. He is an aging man, and tires easily, so patrons must give his work extra time- usually two days at least. But Kesuk thoroughly enjoys his work, and will not hesitate to bark at anyone who suggests he retire or even hire help.

Employment Info: :
One would be hard-pressed to get Kesuk to take an apprentice, but if they were an old friend, or someone with lots of stories to share, Kesuk may give in. Apprenticeships pay the full 5gm wage.
"The sea always filled her with longing, though for what she was never sure."
- Cornelia Funke
Aladari Coolwater
Rock the boat.

Words: 267621
Joined roleplay: March 8th, 2016, 3:26 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
Sunberth Seasonal Challenge (1)

Discussion Table

Postby Epifanio Snowsong on June 17th, 2016, 5:12 pm

So I would like to talk about the practice kitchens a bit. Vantha eat mostly meat and protein, but the lore still states that they gather vegetables and etc. There are only a few vegetables and fruits that can grow in a winter environment. Roots are perhaps the most common. Though, when I worked as a chef I often grew my own herbs and vegetables in the kitchen. This produce would be used fresh when the time of growth is right. It is possible for winterflame hold to have an indoor growing area. Herbs and vegetables can be coaxed to grow year round as long as they have the proper soil, lighting, watering, and care to them. I remember growing around 20+ herbs year round to freshly use.

I would suggest looking up what sort of produce and stuff could be viable to be grown/used in the kitchen. Seeing as how many Vantha might have to gather their own food, it might be that the kitchens provide an indoor retreat to learn how to cook. Would winterflame hold be the ones to help to manage the entire cities food?

In anycase I really like having the practice kitchens here. Though, one might have to gather their own resources to be a part of it.
Secret :
Epifanio Snowsong
Bard

Words: 96514
Joined roleplay: May 28th, 2016, 12:05 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Avanthal Seasonal Challenge (1)

Discussion Table

Postby Prophet on June 17th, 2016, 5:56 pm

I'm going to caution you all away from growing things in Avanthal. Goss eliminated the garden/greenhouse for lack of realism. There is no dirt, everything is essentially ice. The trees that grow are old and go down a long ways to find sediment lodged in the ice to generate a root system. It's part of the reason why maintaining the hunting circles is so important. If a chef wants a few herbs, but s pot or two of soil from a merchant in the spires or WR and go from there but that will be it.

There will be no gardens. That is all.
Prophet
Cannibal of Faith

Words: 816271
Joined roleplay: January 16th, 2016, 5:18 am
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 2
Artist (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Discussion Table

Postby Junco on June 17th, 2016, 6:12 pm

About that though, Prophet. For occupations such as doctor, philter and stuff like that they would need access to medicinal herbs. They could I guess have their own personal store like you said. But I could also see them having a conservatory of sorts, even if its small, for the Whitevine community to make medicine and stuff like that.
Junco

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

PreviousNext