OOC Info A Profusion of Rum and Coconuts - Syka's OOC

For all Syka's OOC Chatter, Announcements, and Q&A.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Syka is a new settlement of primarily humans on the east coast of Falyndar opposite of Riverfall on The Suvan Sea. [Syka Codex]

Moderator: Gossamer

A Profusion of Rum and Coconuts - Syka's OOC

Postby Gossamer on May 25th, 2017, 10:23 pm

Because, as I said...

... I'm not manifesting treasure for mercs to become treasure hunters when they can actually figure out jobs to do that would involve them actually making use of the jungle.

Before you come to Syka, you need to have some idea of what sort of thing you are going to do in a virtually empty of people environment to earn coin. Guarding, guiding, hunting.... that sort of thing is something that there aren't enough people to really do that for.

BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6357243
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Gossamer on May 25th, 2017, 10:24 pm

Its called doing some research, using that thing perched on your neck for something other than a hat rack, etc...
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Ashka on May 27th, 2017, 4:19 pm

Gossamer wrote:Miz isn't really set up to be self employed. If you are a weaver, you would sell your things to the Mercantile or you'd sell them out of your home or both. Either or its a business.

I hear you.
Ashka
Spinning between two seas

Words: 114863
Joined roleplay: April 20th, 2017, 2:31 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 3
Featured Character (1) Mizahar Grader (1)
Overlored (1)

Postby Jade Laken on May 27th, 2017, 11:21 pm

Hello everyone, I wanted to pop in and say I am excited to be joining yall at the season change
Jade Laken
Even the most confident fall to fear

Words: 194195
Joined roleplay: September 12th, 2014, 2:03 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Gossamer on May 28th, 2017, 12:05 am

Welcome!
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Gossamer on May 30th, 2017, 9:12 pm

Hello Sykians!

The Season Change is upon us. You have roughly the next 24 hrs to get all your threads posted that you want to take place in this season. As always, I allow placeholders to finish up last minute job threads and things you want to see accomplished. Please don't let them linger too long though. Work on the current season and in your spare time work backwards and fill in previous season unless of course your flat broke because you've been neglecting threads.

Paradise Rediscovered has a thread for turning in wage requests. Please feel free to do so. If you are still looking at picking a job, we need to get that done before the season change. If you are a slave PC, your owner needs to pay your living expenses. If you are an owner PC, please make sure any slaves and NPCs you support are paid for as well.

Update your CSs!

I will have a new calendar and registry up tomorrow.

Anyhow, you have tonight and tomorrow to take care of business. By the time I go to bed tomorrow night, I will have the site changed over to summer everywhere. I go to bed early too! So don't take too long to decide what's necessary to complete the season. After the season change, all threads in this season will become Grandfathered, which means no one can join them and they must be finished ASAP. All new threads posted must be posted in the current timestamp, ie.. Summer 517.

Summer in Syka will be a sizzler. I hope you all enjoy what I have planned.

Goss
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Jacques on May 31st, 2017, 12:31 pm

I have a couple of SYKA questions ...

I've been wondering if it's meaningful to think of tropical farming/gardening. Vegetables and herbs grow wild in Syka. Perhaps they don't need to cultivate anything, just forage ? But there's also the enormous diversity of the plant life, with "many species few specimen". Maybe this seems to mean farming/gardening may be necessary if you don't want totally random "harvests" ?

How much wilderness survival would be needed in the start?

Is it possible for a PC to arrive by boat in the summer season, get five acres of free land, put up a tent to live in, make a business (with plan etc) and then just start to work at a farm/garden project and explore the settlement?

Trade seems necessary for selling products from a farm/garden, like for example certain vegetables, dried tropical fruit and spices, oils, herbal treatments (those are only examples). Can this kind of stuff be sold to a local buyer ?
Jacques
Player

Words: 3234
Joined roleplay: September 16th, 2016, 10:04 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Plotnotes

Postby Gossamer on May 31st, 2017, 10:02 pm

Hey Jacques...

Welcome to Syka! I'll try to do my best answering your questions.

Farming would be hard to do in Syka. Truthfully there are RP reasons why crops grow wild all over the area, but in order to really farm here you'd need to clear land and since you only get 5 acres free when you settle in (don't get free land just to visit and travel away), then you are only going to be able to farm on 5 acres which honestly will feed yourself nicely, but once you clear the trees, the soil is very poor and needs to be augmented heavily. You can do some googling about why farming in the tropics is a hellishly bad idea and see where I'm coming from.

So my answer to that is no... no farming really unless its personal farming because you can't get enough land and you don't have modern farming practices to keep you going (like spray on fertilizer etc).

Forging for yourself works, but really there's only about ten people or so in Syka.. plus a few NPCs right now so you aren't going to be able to forage for everyone. The added bonus on this is that almost everyone else is doing some form of foraging too.

I require you try and get competent within the first season of you being here so there's no set 'starting' survival. You just have an ongoing requirement to be here.

You can live in a tent, sure... but you don't get the land unless you contribute to the city somehow with either a business or something that the Founders deems adds to things. Like I said... farming on a large scale won't work. You farm yourself a garden though.

We have pcs that are already doing spices, oils, herbal treatments, etc... and we have an NPC that is an herbalist/botanist that does that. Stuff you make can be sold to the Merchantile and to individuals on an order by order basis. I had to start my PC on Leatherworking so she'd have an actual trade skill to contribute to the settlement other than just big and scary. That being said, there's really only room for one.

The tavern is hiring some help too that would be full time. THe medical clinic is also hiring healing assistants which will be on the job training.

I hope that helps.

Goss

Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Jacques on June 1st, 2017, 6:25 am

Okay, thanks for the answer. I already had a feeling I was out on a branch with the farming ideas when I read your materials i the codex. I'll need to have a new look at the PC concept and see what I can make of it.
Jacques
Player

Words: 3234
Joined roleplay: September 16th, 2016, 10:04 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Plotnotes

Postby Ashka on June 11th, 2017, 12:10 pm

Interesting calendar.

I'm trying to work out when Ashka officially arrives in Syka. Will the Veronica be making any trips this season, or should I back-date arrival to the last trip of Spring?
Ashka
Spinning between two seas

Words: 114863
Joined roleplay: April 20th, 2017, 2:31 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 3
Featured Character (1) Mizahar Grader (1)
Overlored (1)

PreviousNext