Closed [Kitrean Krafts]A Honed Blade... Or Four[Terag]

Clyde and Terag search Alvadas for some Isur made items.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Considered one of the most mysterious cities in Mizahar, Alvadas is called The City of Illusions. It is the home of Ionu and the notorious Inverted. This city sits on one of the main crossroads through The Region of Kalea.

[Kitrean Krafts]A Honed Blade... Or Four[Terag]

Postby Clyde Sullins on July 9th, 2016, 7:45 pm

35 Summer 516

Clyde looked up as he entered the building he'd been directed to, with Cha in his hand and the Isur Terag at his side.

He had the hope that bringing along an Isur to do the dealing would make things work smoother, if not giving him an advantage outright over non-Isur customers seeking wares.

And if it came up he also had Cha herself, which was a clear case study of what he intended to do with any items he acquired. Cha was made of a branch of vian wood, something found on Mura. However it had then been izentor crafted into the staff he now carried, though it had been done by a half Isur in Ravok.

After that he'd Magecrafted the staff on Sahova, turning it into a true Magic Staff, and making it indestructible by normal non-magical means.

Three steps of enhancement to one aspect of an item tended to do that with Magecrafting.

Finding the place had been oddly easy compared to other places in Alvadas. When he'd asked about where to find Isur made goods, people had quickly enough pointed him to the smithy and shop. That alone was odd, since a few literally pointed, pointed with the assumption that it would indeed be where they pointed. Something that in Alvadas was none to certain.

He knew when the two arrived at the indicated location and they found the Isur shop, that there was something rare about it. Every other place in Alvadas moved about almost constantly, or so it seemed, which made it almost impossible to find a place.

This place however didn't seem plagued by this problem, or at least seemed more stable as compared to the other structures about the city. It was a point he was interested in understanding, though not chief on his list of things to do.

As he headed inside Clyde spoke quietly to Terag, trying not to be heard by anyone else.

“Now remember Terag, when we speak to whoever is in charge, you do the talking. Your in charge of the dealing. If nothing else I need the dagger, but I'd also like a few other things. Possibly a second dagger, a pair of light hammers, and some type of light armor that's easy to wear, but still good. I'll leave that bit to your expertise as a craftsmen to pick out something. All of it Izentored and of Isurian Steel if possible.”

While it wasn't often Clyde gave someone else the lead, as a leader he did know that at times others had the skils, knowledge, or other qualities(such as being an Isur in an Isur shop) to do things he could not. With that in mind he gave Terag the lead, hoping he could get things done as needed.
Clydes Stuff

I am actually in RL a super intelligent hamster from Rhode Island, with a 7 year plan to take over the world.

Update 6/2/18- 1:10AM EST: His 7 year plan a success, and several weeks ahead of schedule, Clyde leaves to oversee the world he has taken over.

No new threads after end of Spring 518-Will still be checking for PM's occasionally, but focusing on a new character.

Graders note: :
Please be aware Clyde is a master Magecrafter. He therefore should not be gaining full xp(or possibly shouldn't gain any at all) for simple tasks related to this magic, such as low level MC items, particularly for repetitions of creations he has done before. Feel free to contact me if unsure of a instance of his magic use compared to his skill level.
Clyde Sullins
Player

Words: 2343955
Joined roleplay: June 18th, 2011, 1:14 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Terag on July 13th, 2016, 5:55 pm

Terag felt relieved when he saw the building that was their goal. He had been skeptical that the people they had asked would actually know which way the building was, as just about everything in the city seemed to like to move as easily as it was to breathe.

These last couple of days had been a bit taxing on the Isur. Not that he didn't enjoy it, in fact it was almost like a game to see what you might stumble across around the next corner. Although the constantly moving buildings and the strange illusions felt so different than what he was used to. As an Isur he was used to the unchanging nature of his people, the fact that to get anything to change could take several years at the earliest. This city however, change happened in an instant or perhaps even before that.

This building, however, it stood strong. Well, stronger at least. Just looking at the building he almost felt like he was home in Sultros again. It felt more stable to him, though it was more an inner desire rather than any sort of aura or magic that could tip him off. With a slight smiled and feeling of relief, Terag followed Clyde into the building. When Clyde was finished speaking, Terag nodded in understanding.

With a bigger smile this time, Terag took a short moment to look over the wares of Kitrean Krafts. With a practiced eye he looked over the weapons as he made his way to the counter, it felt good to be here. It felt like he was in Syliras for just a moment with the weapons around him and the smell of metal in the air.

Once at the counter Terag noticed two things, first the set of armor behind the counter. It looked amazing, and the workmanship in the piece was astounding. Out of all the armor he had seen it was definitely one of the most beautiful pieces, as well as functional. His experience with creating armor was still a bit lacking, but even he could tell that it would do a better job than most at its job. The second thing he noticed was the man tending the store, an Isur just like him. He had heard that an Isur ran this store, but it was good to actually see him in person. In his excitement, Terag couldn't help but change from common to Isurian.

As Terag approached the other Isur, he smiled and offered his hand for a shake. "Hello! A pleasure to meet you, my name is Terag Magehand Pitrius." It almost felt strange to say his clan name after so long, since he usually only spoke to the other races since he had moved to Syliras. "My companion here is Clyde Sullins," as he said his name, Terag would motion back with his free hand to Clyde. He would wait a moment for the Isur to formally introduce himself, not that Terag didn't know his name but more as a sign of respect to let the other Isur speak his turn. "I'm looking to purchase a couple of weapons while we were in town, and there's few things better than a weapon from an Isur. Though we do have a few things we're looking for. One of them pretty easy to manage, which is that they have been Izentored. The second however is a bit harder. We're looking for weapons made of Isurian Steel if possible. The list of things we're looking for is a pair of light hammers, a dagger, and some light armor that won't hinder movement too much. The armor fitted for my friend here. Specifically for the armor, actually let me ask him his preference, and if you have an opinion please feel free to add in?."

Terag turned to Clyde for a moment, and was silent for a moment to make sure he was going to speak in the right language. "For armor, for what we are going for, it is probably light armor. If you want metal, you are basically looking at a chain shirt. Otherwise we want to try leather, and that will be good for the most movement. I suggest either the chain shirt or some studded leather though for you, do you have a preference one or the other between the two?"
Last edited by Terag on July 26th, 2016, 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thoughts "Isurian" "Common" "Others' Speaking"
The above colors are subject to change, bear with me please!
My Character Sheet, I'm working on making it prettier.
Terag
The Singing Smith

Words: 226408
Joined roleplay: April 16th, 2015, 7:21 am
Race: Isur
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Clyde Sullins on July 13th, 2016, 9:26 pm

Clyde gave Terag his moment to evaluate the items within the shop as they entered. He supposed one craftsman to another it was standard to look over things before beginning any kind of negotiation or dealing. He supposed however unlikely that this could be the one unskilled Isur, and so it made sense to look over things first.

The full set of armor garnered both Clyde and Terag's attention, as it was clearly something special by its place of importance.

As the Isur began speaking to the other Isur in an unknown tongue, he was left to assume things were going well.

He didn't speak the Isur tongue, but he had made his expectations clear to Terag. Or so he hoped.

Clyde nodded when he heard his name spoke and Terag motioned to him, letting him continue on afterward without any input.

However when after speaking for a bit Terag turned to Clyde to ask him a question, he was a bit annoyed. He was disciplined enough to not let it show, his calm meditative face showing only a neutral expression, but inwardly he was annoyed that the Isur had already not done as asked.

He'd told him to take the lead and seem in charge, to be in charge of the deal. And yet they'd been there but a few chimes and already he was clearly deferring to him and showing Clyde was in charge.

Clyde knew Terag wasn't likely too skilled at negotiating, but he'd hoped he'd at least understood a few basic principles. Ones such as negotiating from a position of power and authority, not as an intermediary. He'd wanted to use the advantage of having an Isur dealing with an Isur, but now it occurred to him perhaps he should have gone over some basic negotiation tactics first.

To late now that they'd already begun, but a clear failure in leadership on his part, to properly prepare those working for him beforehand.

A lesson learned if nothing else.

A small smile to his face, Clyde simply nodded at Terag and his question, hoping to give a bit more authority back to him, or if nothing else the seeming of it, knowing everything he said in common was also audible to the shop owner, one who likely spoke both Isurian and common.

“I leave it to you, you are the expert on such things. I'm not really sure what the different uses are for the two armors, let alone which is better.”
Clydes Stuff

I am actually in RL a super intelligent hamster from Rhode Island, with a 7 year plan to take over the world.

Update 6/2/18- 1:10AM EST: His 7 year plan a success, and several weeks ahead of schedule, Clyde leaves to oversee the world he has taken over.

No new threads after end of Spring 518-Will still be checking for PM's occasionally, but focusing on a new character.

Please be aware Clyde is a master Magecrafter. He therefore should not be gaining full xp(or possibly shouldn't gain any at all) for simple tasks related to this magic, such as low level MC items, particularly for repetitions of creations he has done before. Feel free to contact me if unsure of a instance of his magic use compared to his skill level.
Clyde Sullins
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Kaleidoscope on July 13th, 2016, 10:02 pm

The Isur watched them mistrustfully, but allowed them their talk and their discussion, before a nod of recognition. "Aye, the Izentored steel is manageable, but Isurian steel... That on the other hand is a difficult product to get ahold of outside of Sultros. The man thought for a moment, and brushed a hand through his hair. "But yes, I do think I can provide you an Isurian steel dagger, if nothing else. Excuse me one moment."

With that, he tucked behind a door for a moment, before returning with a dark, wooden case lined with dark blue cloth. "See here, this dagger is of Isurian steel. Quite expensive though, but if you have the money, then..." He ran his gaze over the two of them, as if making a decision. With a satisfying click, he opened up the case to reveal a beautifully honed dagger, polished and engraved with curious patterns.

"I'll let you have a feel for it, and then we can discuss the other items you were asking for, although let me warn you now that Isurian steel items are few and far between. No roads through the Unforgiving, y'see." He nodded towards the fellow Isur, and then busied himself around the shop, gathering items and discussing something through the door of the smithy.
Alvadas | Linkmap | Calendar
Ahnatep | Linkmap | OOC
Office
~
Stepped down from ST roles: 1/9/2017
Thanks for all the fish.
Kaleidoscope
Taking a Bow

Words: 320260
Joined roleplay: January 26th, 2016, 6:13 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook

Postby Terag on August 1st, 2016, 7:21 am

Terag nodded at Clyde's response, in truth he had already had an idea about what he figured would fit the man best for armor. He turned his attention back to Vacielli, giving the man his full attention as the Isurian steel dagger was brought out and then showed. Terag once again nodded, this time in response to the shopkeeper's mention of letting the two of them have a feel for the dagger and giving a knowing look back to the other Isur. Without their race's tunnels it was horrible trying to get anywhere, even sometimes with their tunnels it wasn't the safest.

With his left hand, Terag gently lifted the dagger from the case it laid within. With a practiced eye he looked over the dagger, and it was truly beautifully made - as was everything Isurs made. "A beauty, she is." He looked over the dagger for a few more long moments, inspecting the dagger a bit more and moving it as carefully as he could as well as briefing looking for the rune on the dagger that would indicate who made the weapon. Being a weapon smith had taught him a healthy respect for other weapons, they liked to bite when one least expected it after all. When he was satisfied he offered the weapon to Clyde for a moment, hilt first.

For a few moments Terag was silent as he thought a few things over before speaking out to Vacielli once more in Isurian. He tried his best to imitate the few memories he had of his father, as a Pitrius it was supposed to be assumed you could talk your way through everything. And for once, he tried to fulfill that silly rumor he had heard. He at least attempted to appear to be a man that knew what he was talking about, which he did at least when it came to making weapons at least, and a man that would think the price to be no issue. He waited to talk until Vacielli seemed to be done speaking for a moment through the door, to what Terag assumed was where the smithy was located.

"Well, if there are any Isurian steel hammers then I would love to look them over as well. The prices should not be a real issue. If not, then your finest steel pair, Izentored. As for the light armor for my companion, let us go with a slender chain mail shirt, steel. So he can wear it under his robes, he does like the look of them quite a bit." Terag winked playfully and chuckled a bit after his joke at Clyde's expense, hoping the man truly didn't know Isurian. It felt good to be speaking in Isurian for a conversation, and even more so to talk to a fellow smith, despite the experience gap. He could feel the stress of the issue begin to fade away as he spoke more and more, a bit of his old accent from living in Pitrius City beginning to show through. It was partially due to the relaxation, and hoping that him using it would show that he was a bit more at east to the shopkeeper. Weapons were his specialty after all.
Terag
The Singing Smith

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Clyde Sullins on August 2nd, 2016, 10:58 am

Clyde wasn't surprised to hear that it would be difficult to get all of the items of isurian steel. He'd dealt in it before, while Magecrafting in Ravok, and in that case it had only been a single dagger made of it. Other items he'd used had been simple steel izentored, or other materials, but he'd not run into many items of isurian steel.

Still, he understood that an item of both would be that much finer. Anything that added to the quality of the item was good, or that made it stronger, something he'd explained at length to Terag in a lesson on Magecrafting.

If Cold Iron or Steel or whatever one called it was better than base steel, then of course he'd prefer that. And if Isurian Steel was even better, then he'd want that.

But from the new Isur's words it appeared it was less a pricing tactic, trying to jack up the price by its rarity, and more an issue of it not being available in quantities even at an increased price.

When the Isur stated that the dagger though was isurian steel, Clyde wanted to clarify. He'd wished Terag had thought to question the Isur further, but as he wasn't sure what had been said in the foreign tongue he couldn't chance not finding out. He'd been tricked before by an Isur saying he was selling an Isurian Steel item, which in truth was just izentored. It didn't seem too far fetched then that this isur might try the reverse. He'd not been too happy when he'd learned of the last weapon in Ravok, and he wouldn't be any happier now if he was tricked.

“Is the dagger just made of Isurian steel, or is it made of Isurian steel and izentored? We were hoping for both.”

Clyde wasn't sure what would be superior, a normal item izentored, or an un-izentored item made of isurian steel, but he knew he'd prefer both, and as the Isur hadn't specified he needed to know what he'd meant.

The dagger did seem well crafted and of fine make, but he needed to know for sure its true nature.

As the other Isur wandered about the store, Clyde quietly spoke to Terag, speaking however in a way he hoped that if still overheard would make it appear Terag was in charge.

“You've heard of cold iron yes? Or I think I've heard it called cold steel at times. An interesting material I've dealt in before... Anyways, from my understanding its of superior quality than base steel. Better for weapons and items and such. Surely we'd want anything we can't get of isurian steel made of that if possible. I'm sure we both recall our... Talk... About the importance of quality in a base item.”

Clyde gave Terag a meaningful look as he referred to the conversation they'd had about Magecrafting.

“And of course we'd also want anything izentored if possible on top of whatever its made of, as we'd said before.”

Clyde fought the urge to say more, to go on, but he didn't want to hamper Terag in case he had already said these things when speaking to the Isur in their native tongue. But he felt that the points he'd made were important enough to speak them out loud.

He did kick himself however for not telling the Isur what to do as a back up material if all of it couldn't be made of isurian steel. Another failure on his leadership in going into the plan by not properly preparing Terag.
Clydes Stuff

Clyde Sullins
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Kaleidoscope on August 10th, 2016, 4:37 pm

Vacielli smiled at Terag's joke, and cast an eye of Clyde, appraising and evaluating. The man nodded, and thought for a while. Finally, he spoke up, his voice warmer as he spoke to his fellow Isur. "Well, this dagger is the only Izentored, Isurian steel weapon we have in the shop currently, and honestly I'll be sad to see it go." He repeated, in Common, "The dagger is both Izentored and Isurian, a fine piece from Sultros I believe. A smith by the name of Earne." He slipped back into Isurian to finish his speech to Terag.

"As for your worries about Izentored items, you don't need to fret. I've got a pair of hammers like you mentioned, smithed recently by my son. Cold iron, quite difficult to get hold of here. I think they would suit your friend. However, he'll need to be measured for armour, and it will take quite a while for it to be finished. What is your time limit on getting the armour made? And whilst you're consulting your friend, I will get those hammers for you."

With that, the man nodded politely towards the two, even including Clyde, now that he'd realised that they seemed serious about 'money not being an issue.' With an efficient stride towards a display case, Vacielli took out a pair of dull, silvery-grey hammers, laying them out on the desk for Clyde and Terag to inspect. He also brought forth a set of measuring sticks and rules, and a few lengths of measuring rope that he coiled neatly on the desk beside the hammers. He then waited to hear the conclusion.

OOC :
I realised I forgot to say in the previous post, but you both seemed to have realised it anyway: Vacielli is speaking Isurian unless mentioned otherwise.

Also, although Vacielli is a wonderful smith, the situation in Alvadas with getting raw materials is such that they import almost all of the metal used in the smithy. As such, even cold steel is sometimes difficult to get hold of. Thought I'd just give a little explanation there.
Ahnatep | Linkmap | OOC
Office
~
Thanks for all the fish.
Kaleidoscope
Taking a Bow

Words: 320260
Joined roleplay: January 26th, 2016, 6:13 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook

Postby Terag on August 18th, 2016, 8:28 am

Terag thought for a moment, but gave no sign that he was unable to recognize the name so as not to worry Clyde. Unfortunately with a race of smiths, it was common that even highly skilled smiths could be forgotten. Terag could tell that the dagger was high quality regardless, as was expected. The metal was special, and only those who could truly shape their work into something magnificent worked with it. Terag gave a smile towards Vacielli when the Isur mentioned he would be sad to see it go, "Well I can assure you that it will be taken care of and well used." He smiled a little more, it was always nice knowing that a tool was going to be used. That's what Isurian Steel was used for after all, it was pretty but it was made to be used. Terag nodded in response to the rest of what Vacielli said before he left into the back room once more.

Now Terag bowed his head slightly as Clyde spoke to him for a few moments. Not as a sign of submission, but more just so he could focus on the works more and be sure not to miss anything. At the look Terag gave a brief nod, he remembered the talk quite well. Partly because he still felt as if he made a fool of himself during those moments. Terag smiled briefly at Clyde to indicate he heard everything and understood. "I assume you are aware, but I must mention once myself that we will need to get you measured for the armor. Just let Vacielli know you are okay with being measured and I am sure the process will be done before you know it." After his brief statement and a smile once more, Terag returned his attention to Vacielli as the man came back with the pair of hammers and to answer the Isurian's question.

"We have until the 50th of this season before we must be off, but of course the sooner the armor can be finished the better. Of course, I do understand that true quality cannot be rushed however. I assume the dagger and this pair of hammers can be taken with us today, correct?" Terag took a few moments to look over the hammers, the metal felt even colder than the steel and iron he usually worked with. That was to be expected though, given the name of the material involved. Giving a satisfied smile and grunt, more to indicate to Clyde that the hammers were up to specification as well, Terag then continued on this time in common so Clyde could understand. "Everything looks great, what is the price of the dagger and the hammers? and the armor once it is finished?" Terag was sure the Vacielli knew at this point that he was asking more as a formality. Since Terag worked with weapons and gear at The Ironworks he knew the price for it all would add up to 160 golden mizas, give or take. Honestly, if Clyde wanted the same treatment for the armor too, that was going to be the most expensive part of this entire process. He was looking at over 3,000 Golden Mizas easily, probably closer to 4,000. But Terag was sure the mage was good for it. Or at least, he continued to appear confident.
Terag
The Singing Smith

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Clyde Sullins on August 18th, 2016, 9:04 pm

Clyde smiled and nodded at the Isur's statement about the dagger, glad to know it was of the best materials and make possible. Considering the intended to use it for Magecrafting, a particular idea he has, he wanted the base item as fine as possible.

Clyde watched as the smith took out a pair of hammers, showing them off. Money wasn't an issue, but he also didn't want to be ripped off or spend more than he had to. He hadn't amassed the money he had by being a bad negotiator and not knowing how to keep his money in pocket.

When the two Isur finally began speaking in a tongue he understood and directly to him, Clyde nodded along. He had a feeling it might be useful to learn the Isur's tongue, and considered bringing it up to Terag at some later point if he had the chance.

“Of course, I don't mind being measured, whatever is needed for the armor.”

Clyde knew that anything made to order tended to be more expensive than something made in general. Which, he knew, meant that a custom fitted set of armor would be much more costly than a similar suit without the custom fit.

For now he wouldn't ask on price, would wait and see the price now that Terag had asked, but he wasn't willing to part with too much of his funds on a suit of armor less than full isurian steel and izentored. It wasn't lack of funds, but the principle of it. He would have to wait and see what was being asked though before deciding on that.

He kept his face calm while his thoughts roiled within. Numbers, costs, payments, other things he could spend the money on, and other things of a more mercantile nature buzzed about in his head.
Clydes Stuff

Clyde Sullins
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Kaleidoscope on September 28th, 2016, 11:02 am

The Isur soon began directing Clyde on how to stand to make the best measurements. It was quite like being measured for a suit, if the mage had ever had that done for him. The Isur's measuring line stretched from arm to wrist, down his side, under his armpits and all the while the smith wrote the measurements down on a scrap of paper. Soon enough though, he was finished, and told Clyde as such.

Directed towards the mage, the smith said, "That's the measurements done for your suit of armour. It'll be cutting it fine, but your set should be available to pick up the day before you leave. That's the 49th. We'll put everyone that we can on the job to make sure it's finished. If you wanted it Izentored... well I'm afraid my friend we don't have enough time for that." Then slipping into Isurian again, he spoke towards Terag. "My apologies to your friend but this tongue is much preferable if possible. The armour will come to 300 mizas for the shirt, and 180 mizas for the leg cuisses... if your friend wants those of course. The hammers will be 66 mizas, and the dagger, that'll be 40 mizas."

Realising that the one with the mizas was Clyde though, the man repeated the prices to him. If Clyde were to try and bargain with him, or ask about the height of the prices, the Isur would seem to shut down, saying, "It's an Isur's personal pride when imparting our god-given gift to a suit of armour or a weapon. My son took many bells creating that, and the smith from Sultros capital surely would have spent a long time on this too. Any higher prices are due to the special qualities of our weapons. And the suit of armour would need much longer if we were to impart our gift onto it."

With a tight smile, the Isurian shopkeeper would begin drawing up a receipt as the two men waited in the shopfront.

Costs :
Cold steel chain shirt: Chain shirt(100 GM base price)x3(Cold steel weapon modifier)=300 GM
Cold steel leg cuisses: (60 GM base price)x3(Cold steel weapon modifier)=180 GM
Isurian steel dagger, Izentored: (2 GM base price)x5(Isurian steel modifier)+30GM(Shop's Izentored modifier)=40 GM
Pair of cold steel throwing hammers, Izentored: (1 GM base price)x3(Cold steel modifier)+30GM(Shop's Izentored modifier)=33GMx2(for the pair)=66 GM
Total:
300+180+40+66=
586 GM
Or 406 GM without the leg cuisses.
Ahnatep | Linkmap | OOC
Office
~
Thanks for all the fish.
Kaleidoscope
Taking a Bow