Jez Firetongue's Notes and Experiences

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Feel free to start IC Journaling in this forum. Each character is allowed threads here where they can store notes they learn IC, facts, or even talk about their feelings and inner thoughts. Journals don't need to be in written form, they be anything you as a player thinks suits the personality of the Characte.r

Postby Jez Firetongue on February 21st, 2017, 3:35 am

Index
Memories
Relationships
Animals
Journal
Maps

The Heart of Nature Soothes the Heart of Man More Than Any Woman Can
Last edited by Jez Firetongue on May 1st, 2017, 6:43 pm, edited 13 times in total.
Jez Firetongue
Nature answers us in time

Words: 129941
Joined roleplay: December 10th, 2012, 6:38 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Jez Firetongue on February 21st, 2017, 4:21 am

Memories

Pavi/Grassland Sign , Common, Nari

It was Spring in my seventeenth year when I finally bonded with a Strider. My Pavilion were excited for me and my Clan pleased to officially welcome me. My windmarks, fresh down my back, were worth every moment of pain. The connection to my Strider was unlike anything I had experienced, as it continues to be even now. I knew they were a sacred breed, considered people more than those who had yet to receive windmarks, but had never truly understood it until the moment I had seen Wind. Meeting the three year old stallion was a moment I would never forget. However, this memory is not the only one to stick with me.

Wind is a feisty creature, bred for the fire within him. He was meant for The Watch, to be a fast steed in case of emergency. However, he had been too stubborn, the personality of a beast that refused to be tamed by anyone. My bond to the Strider was new, still settling, and it took two weeks to develop enough for Wind to allow tack to be placed on him. The day I first tacked up the stallion was one of those memories that would stick with me.

“Morning, Wind,” I had greeted him with a yawn, approaching the stallion with a brand new pad and yvas in my arms. Said stallion snorted, ears forward, as he stared at the tack wearily. I had smiled, dumping the tack to the side. Without it on hand I was able to approach the Strider, resting a hand on the stallion’s neck. “I don’t want to force you into being ridden,” I had told him, “Your previous owners told me you were a good steed once you respected your rider, but I don’t want your respect; I want your trust. Let’s just keep getting used to each other before we try with the tack again, yeah?”

Wind had blinked and flicked his ear, nudging at my shoulder with his nose. He rested there for a few moments, and I took joy in being so close to my newly bonded Strider. I couldn’t help the grin on my face at the connection. I could see now why so many placed their bonded Striders above their own family. After travelling together, I too ended up favouring him over many people. A few moments later, Wind retreated. Disappointed, I watched, only to see that Wind was trotting over to where I had placed the yvas. The horse nickered, scraping at the ground with his front hoof.

I remember moving over slowly, confused. “What is it Wind?” The stallion seemed to roll his eyes, snorting in annoyance, and bent to pick at the fabric pad with his lips, yanking it in my direction. I bent to pick it up, turning the purple material over in his hands. It had been a gift from my uncle, my Pavilion’s Ankal, in the Clan’s colours, and would protect my Strider from the rubbing of the leather yvas. “Are you ready to let me tack you up?” I asked hopefully.

When Wind didn’t respond, I carefully moved the pad to his back. I saw my Strider watching as it was placed gently over his back and wither. Wind’s skin rippled, a sign he was ready to flee at any moment, but the horse stayed in placed. I backed away a step when the pad was in place, admiring the look of my bonded in my Clan’s colours. “Can I put on the yvas too?” I asked, taking the lack of a response or fleeing as acceptance. Slowly I bent to pick up the tack, stepping back in place beside the stallion.

“Easy, Wind,” I hushed as the horse shivered. I lifted the thick piece of leather over the stallion’s shoulder, atop the pad, carefully brushing aside the long mane so it wouldn’t get caught. I ducked to grab the underneath of the strap from the other side of the stallion’s stomach, pulling it toward myself and hooking it up to attach to the rings nearest to me. I then attached the chest strap in three places, underneath and on either side of the main yvas strap. I stepped back, almost not believing that Wind finally trusted me enough to allow this. I laugh now, thinking about my disbelief and knowing the inevitability of our bond’s strength.

Wind trotted away a little distance, almost showing off his equipment. I remember admiring how the colours of my Pavilion, decorating the pad and chest strap, looked against the stallion. Eventually I added knotwork and coloured threads to different parts of it, telling tales of our adventures together, and will continue to do so until the end. At the time I was pleased with the appearance, my stallion stunning. I was taken from my thoughts by Wind nickering, turning side on and staring at me. “Huh?” I had questioned, walking over to him. Wind flicked his tail and stamped his foot impatiently. I blinked a few times, unsure, but decided to take a risk.

“Are you letting me ride you?” I remember asking hopefully. I would quickly learn how to recognise Wind asking me to ride him, but at this early stage we had yet to learn to read each other properly. I put my hands on the pad, leaning weight onto the stallion’s back as a test. When Wind didn’t move, I pushed myself up, swinging my leg over so that in one fluid movement I was astride my stallion. I grinned, stroking lovingly down Wind’s neck. “How about we go for a run?”

Last edited by Jez Firetongue on May 1st, 2017, 6:43 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Jez Firetongue

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Jez Firetongue on March 7th, 2017, 5:47 am

Relationships

PCs

Rena Rain
Rena Rain - friend
Winter 516 AV - I met Rena when she brought her Strider mare, Opal, into the Healing Hoof to treat rope burn on her leg. She seemed friendly but I was suspicious about how she came to own a non-bonded Strider when she didn't live in Endrykas. Thankfully my suspicions were wrong and we ended up having a pleasant conversation. She inspired my Spring visit to Riverfall.
Spring 517 AV - After drinks in Baultime's Barrel, Rena and I agreed to teach Turrin to ride a horse.
My kin are wonderful, but it is also nice to have a friend outside of Endrykas.

Turrin
Turrin of the Twisted Vine - friend
Spring 517 AV - I met Turrn at Baultime's Barrel while drinking with Rena. I was shocked to find out he didn't know how to ride, and was more than happy to correct that by giving him a riding lesson the next morning. We also met later and ended up in an unarmed spar.
I am curious about him.

Adon
Adon Gloaming - teacher
Spring 517 AV - Adon found my attempting to use my shortbow the day before the Triathlon and taught me how to use it better.
It is good to have an older male figure to teach me, as I haven't had much of that in life.

Crescenta
Crescenta - stranger
Spring 517 AV - Crescenta is the first Ethaefal I have seen and I mistook her for a Zith. Knowing she is not a Zith, I am less wary of her.
It is nice to learn not to judge things as they first appear.

Merevaika
Merevaika - childhood friend
Spring 495 AV - Another Pavilion in my Clan had a child born that I was brought to see. I didn't know this would be the first meeting of a good childhood friend.
Spring 499 AV - Our first 'adventure', which was nothing more than a tiny way from the tents but started a good friendship.
Though younger than me, Mere was always more rebellious. She dragged me on many adventures as we grew up. We had a lot of fun, although I was jealous of her relationship with her father and wasn't happy when she pulled pranks on others.

Kalmor
Kalmor Bloodrazor - good friend
When Kalmor's Strider, Shadow, fell sick in early 512AV, I was one of the Drykas called in to help. During that time we got to know each other, bonded over our shared desire to one day join The Watch, and became friends. Unfortunately Shadow could not be saved, but that did not end the friendship we formed.

Quzon
Quzon - stranger
I first met Quzon when he punched me in the face, giving me a black eye.

NPCs - Firetongue Pavilion

Beka
Beka Firetongue - Ankal, Uncle (father's side) - close
I love my uncle and see him as a fair Ankal. He looks out for the Pavilion and doesn't play favourites. When I was younger he even gifted me with a Strider, Papus, though Kai ended up bonding with her. Still, I was so happy that he honored me with the thought and that happiness always comes back when he's around.

Fenrir
Fenrir Firetongue - Father - not close
While my father isn't cruel, I can't say he's particularly caring either. He is happier looking after animals than being around his children. I am not singled out as the only one he tends to ignore, but as neither the youngest nor oldest child he doesn't particularly pay attention to me either. He earned a living enough to support my large number of siblings for many years, for which I am thankful. Sometimes I wish we were closer.

Rosanna
Rosanna Firetongue - half sister (father's side) - neutral
Rosanna has always been distant from the rest of us. I assume it has to do with her mother's early death, but I have never spoken with her about it. We don't mind each other, and occasionally bond over the knowledge that neither of us is likely to get a partner (though for different reasons).

Farrah
Farrah Firetongue - brother - neutral
Despite being the closest of my full siblings in age to me, Farrah and I don't spend much time together. We used to play as children, but as adolescents he was chosen by our uncle to succeed him and become the next Ankal. I miss the time we used to spend together, but I am more proud each time I see the progress he's made in training.

Salva
Salva Firetongue - brother - close
Growing up I always tried to spend time with Salva. He's weak and often sickly, not cut out for our lifestyle. It was always assumed that he would die soon, but somehow he just kept surviving. I am prepared for the day he is taken, and know it will be sooner than most, but for now I relish the time we can spend together. Unfortunately that time isn't often as he doesn't leave the Pavilion much.

Caleb
Caleb Firetongue - brother - close
I like to spend time with Caleb. He's quiet, a nice reprieve from the bustle of our world, and always has an interesting horse anecdote. He's always around the horses, so we often catch up when I am tending to Wind.

Liam
Liam Firetongue - brother - not close
For some reason Liam and I have never really seen eye to eye. I care for him, as I do all my family, but our personalities don't click. We never really see each other anyway, so it's not a problem.

Carla
Carla Firetongue - mother - close
My mother is my biggest supporter. She is the highest ranking woman in our Pavilion and is who everyone goes to when they need advice that our Ankal shouldn't be bothered with. I was very attached to her as a child. I am not reliant on her anymore, but that doesn't mean I don't love her and spend time with her when possible.

NPCs

Balen Grasshoof
Balen Grasshoof - colleague
I have a huge respect for Balen, and always enjoy working with him at the Healing Hoof. I think he's finally getting the hint that I have no interest in his daughter too...

Denhar Tenderbloom
Denhar Tenderbloom - colleague
I can always respect a spiritual man. His loyalty to the Gods is something to admire, and it's always nice to see him worship while treating patients.

Last edited by Jez Firetongue on May 1st, 2017, 6:49 pm, edited 12 times in total.
Jez Firetongue

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Jez Firetongue on March 19th, 2017, 9:34 pm

Animals

Horses

Wind
Wind - bonded Strider (born 506 AV)
What could I say about my relationship with Wind that isn't already encompassed by our bond. He's my best friend, my most prized creature, the soul I connect to the most in this world. My windmarks will represent our relationship for the rest of my life; Wind will always be at my back. He's feisty, stubborn and a pain most of the time, but I have never loved another like I do him and I value him above all else.

Eva
Eva - Pavilion's Seme (born 499 AV)
Eva is a good wagon horse owned by my Pavilion. She's served our family well for many years and is a gentle, docile creature. Children love her and I recently found out that she's great for teaching adults to ride too.

Dogs

Bristle
Bristle - Male Silkena (trained to hunt) (born 515 AV)
I bought Bristle, along with Whisp, on the 46th Spring 517 AV from The Sanctuary in Riverfall. He had trust issues at first, now accepting me as his new owner or listening to my commands. He has improved but is still not great at listening. When he listens to commands he is very enthusiatic but often forgets what he's doing and suddenly stops. He moves in dramatic, bouncy actions. He is really attached to a piece of leather I had on me and can often be found chewing on it. He can be a pretty fussy eater. He likes to chase his tail.

Whisp
Whisp - Female Silkena (trained to hunt) (born 514 AV)
I bought Whisp, along with Bristle, on the 46th Spring 517 AV from The Sanctuary in Riverfall. She is the alpha, in charge of the dogs. She is good at listening to commands and very friendly to humans. Strangely, she is afraid of Mooneyes flowers.

Jez Firetongue

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes