PM to join Lessons by Baroque Bay (Kelski)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A lawless town of anarchists, built on the ruins of an ancient mining city. [Lore]

Moderator: Morose

Lessons by Baroque Bay (Kelski)

Postby Vasin on May 4th, 2019, 7:57 pm

Vasin had taken notice of Kelski's hesitation as he sat there in the chair opposite of her. He had hoped it had not been too personal of a question, but perhaps it was? He was hoping he had not dug too deep as he sat there waiting for a moment. The idea that his sword may be special, it was an intriguing one. How would he know? It was Cold Iron to be sure, and obviously good quality. But he didn't think that the weapons smith had imbued it with anything. Vasin glanced to the door, to the hallway thinking about where he had rested that sword on the rack. Then he looked back to Kelski as she had decided to tell him of her marks. Intently he listened, very curious of what she had to say in regards to them. The Gnosis of Semele, Gnosis of Xhyvas, and Gnosis of Akajia."Night Stalkers..." he quietly said almost to himself. That was the one she explained the most, and the Gnosis she had the most of? "I don't think I have heard of such powers before. They are good gifts, and sound really impressive." he said not knowing much about the subject.

"I am sure you will come to know them well..." he said trailing off a little at her next question. Crylon had asked him that exact same question before. Vasin shifted in his seat a little as he looked to her."I don't really worship anyone... I never really gave it any thought until after I met Crylon." he said breathing out a tad quietly."It's probably an odd thing for me to say. Plenty of places here in Sunberth where one can leave offering I know." he said with a slight shrug."Hearing what you and Crylon have said though..." Vasin said rubbing the back of his head."It's made me start thinking about it. But I haven't really been sure where to start." he said knowing that must of sounded odd and silly as well. it was obvious how one got started. You pick one, worship them, and give them offerings. But from what both of them said, it was a large commitment of one's self.

---

As she explained the limits and rules of morphing Vasin listened in carefully to what Kelski had to say about it. Only things from the plant and animal world, nothing that nature cannot duplicate. Vasin nodded, though was kinda disappointed he couldn't use it to turn his skin into metal scale armor. Regardless, he reasoned that thing was not natural anyway and plus he could still fly."Will you be able to teach me how to fly?" he questioned."I'm not sure how I would even approach it when I get to that point." he said imagining himself jumping off a building only to face plant into a dirt road. Yeah, he wanted to avoid that happening."I'm really starting to see how that exercise of memory and mine comes into this. Being familiar with a substance and material enough that you can picture it perfectly in your mind... must really make it easier. Then, being able to quiet distracting thoughts and concentrate on it." Vasin said with a very quick nod understanding."I'll need to be careful though. Sounds like over giving with morphing can be really dangerous." Vasin confirmed.

Vasin would look to her outstretched hand, and at Kelski's nails."Right, one step at a time. Like starting with a wooden sword and then moving to a sharpened blade." he said knowing that making too far of leaps was a bad idea. His previous experiences making this obvious in his mind. Vasin blinked, however, his eyes catching and then watching as she transformed her nails into the talons of an eagle. He made a silent wow expression rather impressed with the partial transformation that had happened right before his eyes."There it is." he said now having seen it right before his eyes."Something familiar..." Vasin considered what she said. Nothing came to mind within the first moment of thought."All right, I will try..." Vasin said as a memory flashed through his mind. A memory in vivid detail from long ago, one that had never truly left him."Okay... I think I know exactly what to try." Vasin said now knowing he had to hold onto that memory, and not let distracting thoughts take it away. He breathed out, the image in his mind was that of two violet eyes staring at him.

Vasin breathed in slowly and then closed his eyes gently. He took a while to clear his mind, as he tried to fully bring the image from the depths of his memory. Sometimes it shifted or disappeared, but he actively tried keeping it from disappearing. Reinforcing it with what he knew from memory. It was different, trying to have a quiet mind and then bring up an image. It was difficult to go beyond those eyes, for everything else appeared as a blur to him. Vasin breathed, starting to lose track of time entirely. He had to get it right, Vasin could not let it go now that it had passed into his mind's eye field of view. Slowly as his mind calmed more and more he explored it as intimately as he could. The world around him began to fade as he lost himself in his mind. His memory now cooperating with him more and more. His breath controlled and calm as it all came together for him. Vasin had it, and now he just had to do as Kelski said. Now with it fresh in his mind, it was time to direct his djed to do as he needed it.

Vasin followed that stream, it did not take as long to find it as he would follow that stream of power. Now more familiar to him, easier to follow to the shores of that well like a lake to him. Slowly from within he submerged himself in it and tried to influence its flow. Vasin could feel the power rising up through his core, up to his spine and to his head. Vasin took it slowly as he pushed and pulled the djed. Pulling that power from within himself he imagined what he had before. While he was interacting with the djed he began to imagine those violet eyes once more. But now, instead of merely picturing them he pictured them on his face. Or rather, in the place of his own blue eyes. Vasin tried to actively will them into place, and he could feel the djed slowly but surely pour to that point. Flowing to his eyes remained closed as he took his time wishing for it to happen. He wished to have the eyes of his mother, even if it was just that one hue.

Vasin kept the flow going for some time, not counting time by minutes or seconds. He kept directing the power unsure of when it would be finished. Vasin just had to go by his gut in this case, and slowly breathed. It took some time, that is for certain, and he wasn't sure how long it took. But, eventually, he eased up on pouring the djed to that point and willing the transformation. He had a feeling that it was ready. Pulling back into the world Vasin would slowly open his eyes looking at Kelski. His eyes were now a brilliant violet as he looked at her."Did it work?" he asked her unable to confirm for himself at that exact moment. The eyes were that of his mother in that particular hue, but perhaps further. It was the one thing that he could still picture oh so clearly in his mind of her. It had taken time to craft and make sure it was right, but here he sat now looking at Kelski hoping he had done all right.
Vasin
Player

Words: 290557
Joined roleplay: December 7th, 2018, 10:03 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Mizahar Grader (1)

Postby Kelski on June 9th, 2019, 6:07 pm

She was enjoying herself. Vasin was always good company and she had nothing bad to say about his ability to listen and absorb new information. And the conversation wasn’t just about magic. It drifted all over, filling in micro gaps in their knowledge of each other that hadn’t had a chance to be discussed before. Kelski found it odd Vasin seemed to have no knowledge of the Gods though and didn’t worship any of them. It wasn’t necessarily a bad thing, but considering how much Akajia had gotten her through hard times in her life, she wondered if Vasin had ever had anyone to lean on in a similar way. “You start by following your heart. You have a lot of good qualities the Gods and Goddesses would acknowledge and admire, Vasin. You should sometimes soon see if you could get some learning on them. I don’t know if our library here has any books on religion, but even just talking to people about religion is helpful.” Kelski advised, knowing that was true enough. The people that had gnosis mark tended to know about those that marked them. “I just find it odd how many people disbelieve in the gods. They don’t think of them as real creatures. But the truth is they are people like you and I… just extremely powerful people.” Kelski added, looking thoughtful.

The talk continued, more about magic than anything else. Archanology was useful in so many aspects and if someone could discipline their minds to utilize its knowledge, they could then use those skills on almost anything. “Sunberth confuses me often. They hate mages, but they don’t understand how much magic is so much like anything else in the world. If you can discipline yourself to focus… to concentrate… to learn… you are going to do a lot towards improving other things in your life… like even your weapons work. Mages do a lot of things that swordsmen do. There’s very little difference. And if you think about it, when practicing Morphing, it teaches you how alike everything in the world is…” Kelski said, understanding that was one of the key ways Morphers really understood morphing.

When Vasin started to concentrate, she watched him closely. They were sitting in two wing-backed chairs, side by side, but she slipped out of her seat and moved to his feet where she kneeled and studied him as he concentrated. Kelski watched up at him, no indication of what he was morphing. He meditated for a great while, silent and focusing. She could almost feel his internal well overflow and flood his senses as his djed came to the surface. He all but glowed with it when Kelski concentrated and flooded her vision with auristics power. She pooled her own djed in her eyes, concentrating on switching to the magesight that so many people of power relied on. She could see the thread of djed pulling from deep within him and pooling in his eyes. Kelski watched, mesmerized because she’d never seen this process before outside of her own body and with Auristics firmly in place.

And when Vasin opened his and asked if it worked, Kelski’s eyes widened. She saw the change in the color of his orbs. And she studied what he had done quite carefully before she nodded. “I think so. If you were going for different colored iris’. They look violet.” She said, rising from her crouch in front of him and slipping out into her master bedroom to get a hand mirror. She returned in short order and handed it to him so he could see for himself.

She let him take the change into himself, absorbing just what it was he could do now, and then shifted into her seat. Kelski tucked her legs beneath her and nodded proudly at him. “You did well, Vasin. You really did. But this is just the beginning. You are going to have to practice this magic, not just when you think of it, but daily. You need to practice and practice until you can do these changes in your sleep. Eyecolor is a lovely start, but you need to go bigger, stronger, fiercer… you’ll have to study me as an eagle… learn what I look for if you want your own wings. And you’ll have to be able to morph to reduce your size… which will come after you learn a lot more morphing.” She said softly, then smiled.

“At the beginning, you can only do small changes, Vasin, like your eye color and hair color, skin tone.. maybe growing scales or fur or claws. When you get more confident and competent, you can transform your whole body. I’m at that point now. I just learned how to become a dolphin… and swim in the sea. I’m not very good at swimming yet, but I will learn. I found a dolphin’s corpse washed up on the beach. It had been killed by a shark I think since it had a big bite out of it. I studied it intently, dragging it up to the barn, and practiced and practiced until I could shift into its form. I picked a dolphin because it was about the same size as my body… and it was handy that a model presented itself. You can change into another human – someone who’s looks you’ve studied. But remember, you can’t really change size or mass… I’m a hundred and fifteen pounds at the moment. I need to change into something that size.” Kelski added.

Then she took a breath and continued. “When you get to be an expert, you can turn into things of different sizes… a small mouse, a large draft horse. Things get more real. If you turn into a bat, you can see with how they see… their ears and their weird clicking’s. Things that can see in the dark will lend you their ability to see in the dark when you take their form. Snake? The snakebite will be real without you consciously producing poison.” Kelski added.

Then she continued. “And when you master morphing, you can turn into things that are truly amazing. They can be massive creatures…. maybe a blue whale or even something like one of Lhaviku’s children such as a giant squid. Maybe you can take on the shape of a Velispar. You can be a tiny little ant. And you just need to see a creature to model it.” Kelski said gently, knowing she was preaching what Aer’wyn had told her to another. In a way, it was an unsung djedline that had no markings or no mystical recognitions.

“Its important… this magic. Its important to practice and be safe with it, Vasin. I’m entrusting you with its secrets. Don’t pass it on unless you are sure of the person… certain of the outcome of their mindset. They need to be open to mystical things… and they have to have power. I don’t know how to describe how to know people have power… but you can tell. You really can.” Kelski said softly, watching him, wondering how he felt about that. It was important to say, but she didn’t now how to describe what she was trying to teach him.
They laugh at me because I am different.
I laugh at them because they are all the same.

Painted Sky Jewelry (The Wildlands) | Crossroads Jewelry (The Outpost)
Kelski
Freedom is earned. Fight for it.

Words: 2015452
Joined roleplay: July 3rd, 2014, 11:08 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (2)
Mizahar Grader (1) Trailblazer (1)
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Sunberth Seasonal Challenge (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Vasin on June 14th, 2019, 10:09 am

"I don't know why that is, I know that the gods are real. The world we are living in now is proof of it. How many years without winter have we had? Anyone who doubts the existence of gods at this point... surely they have not been paying attention?" he said with a shake of his head."I did speak with Crylon a little while ago. He told me about his god and how he worshiped them. It was rather... positive?" he said recalling how the worship of that god, in particular, seemed to bring out a hard-working aspect in people. Whether it be seeking excellence in fighting, or in the building."From what I have found though, the majority of the collection at the library is journals. It might be hard to find something... but I don't doubt it exists. Probably the best for me to ask around as you said." Vasin said with a nod. He was curious and interested in learning more. What traits of his would a god appreciate? As well as vise versa? He would only learn by looking.

Vasin would smile when Kelski essentially confirmed it had worked."That is indeed what I was going for!" he smiled pleased that it worked. Now all that was left was to see how it looked. He then followed her with his eyes closely watching as he saw her leave and then return with a hand mirror. When she gave it to him after a brief pause he would look at himself in the mirror. There they were, those striking eyes he could picture oh so vividly in his mind's eye and memory. He blinked absorbing the change in happy with how it had turned out."Thank you." he would say in gratitude to both when she told him he did well, and also to how she had taught him to do it."I will make sure to do it every day. "Though I should probably avoid doing it in public around here." he said being mindful knowing that the superstitious people of Sunberth would not pass up the chance to lynch a magic user."Study you?" he questioned glancing past the mirror. His eyes darted over her and paused with realization."Oh! Right. I'll need to if I want to be able to fly... to replicate all the details to do so."

Vasin listened intently as Kelski spoke, carefully so captivated by the things she told him, the things that were possible."So if I studied you, I could make my self appear like you? Not just your eagle form?" he questioned curiously."It took a lot of effort... concentration... to change the color of my eyes... so I can only just imagine what it will take to make those kind changes. To turn into a dolphin, mouse, snake... or an eagle." he said thinking it over."All I need is to study the shape of what I wish to turn into?" he said trying to take it all in."Right, it makes sense." he said knowing that is what he had to do for the eyes and it was what that exercise of memory was based on,

"I'll keep it secret... I'll keep it safe. I promise you this." he said with sincerity knowing that Kelski would not say to be careful without good reason."I will only pass it onto people who can be trusted and I know can keep safe. I am not sure though..." Vasin paused glancing off."About how I would know... if someone has the ability or talent for it. Is it something that will become obvious? Once I learn more?" Vasin questioned curiously.
Vasin
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Mizahar Grader (1)

Postby Kelski on June 23rd, 2019, 3:18 pm

It felt a little odd, sitting with this man, talking of magic, trying to show him how important it was and having him agree, listen, and absorb. Kelski vaguely remembered sitting with someone else, though that had seemed heated, almost impassioned when they had discussed magic as if sparring with weapons. She barely remembered, and only a feeling at that – not a real visual scene from her mind.

His promise to her was sincere and spoken without prompting or urging. Kelski breathed a sigh of relief. "You know they have a talent for something when they can turn their eyes violet without even half trying." She said softly, not sure how to explain. "The magic in one's soul calls to the magic in someone else's soul. How come you knew to take that walk with me that day you were reading on the pier? I was far more likely to cut your throat and take your book, than change the course of your life. But you didn't hesitate. You followed me anyhow. Can you tell me why? Or how? I can't. I bet you can't either. You will just know." She said softly, hoping that was explanation enough.

The man before her was a relief, a warm hug, a casual companion that meant more to her than the battles vaguely remembered in the back corners of her mind. Vasin listened well, and seemed to grasp the concepts she was trying to teach him, but Kelski still felt like there could be more. She finally decided the unbalance and equality would work itself out when he could trade skin for feathers as well and they could both take to the sky together. Kelski knew when he was at that point, she'd sit for him for hours and let him touch her eagle's body, running his hands over her feathers and claws, studying her beak, and the way she moved. Trust was like that.

She was working on a friendship with Vasin, and they had done multiple things together. But the room lacked an intimate warmth, a companionship, she often felt with others. She didn’t want to be just his teacher. Kelski wanted to be his friend. But there was a lot of barriers between that and where she was with him now, that gave her pause.

And she wasn’t sure why. And Kelski didn’t understand why she craved to be so close to everyone in her life. Her Kelvic nature meant she wanted to nurture him, comfort him, even bring him pleasure. But she wasn’t sure how to do that with Vasin. He was so content, satisfied with his life, driven but self-sufficient. And so the jeweler mage warred with herself as she sat beside him in the matching wing-backed chair and they talked.

Time. They just needed time. With that, Kelski's mind switched gears.

He could learn more about the Gods. Sure. Anytime anywhere, just by talking to people, priests, even researching in books or scrolls. But he needed to follow that research with his own heart. It wasn’t something she could teach. And Kelski knew by nature that paring up with a God or Goddess, offering them prayer granted more than their help. It granted a sort of power that could not be truly defined by a talk about Divine Magic. But she would tell him anyhow, and maybe someday when he needed it, he would remember her words.

Vasin was happy with his purple eyes though. And she was happy he’d been successful with them. It wasn’t easy morphing something on one’s first attempt, especially something you couldn’t see until you looked in a mirror. Vasin was doing well, better than she had on her own first awkward attempts. But then again, she’d had no one to teach her… only a few obscure words in a journal to act as her guide.

She nodded to his train of thought. “Yes, all you need to do is study something. Start small, like I said. This little bit… this eye color… is like a cornerstone or a foundation for what you can do. It’s a tiny key that unlocks so many doors.” Then she moved again, from where she had settled in her chair after handing him the hand mirror. She moved to kneel at his feet, where she could peer up at him. She pushed djed into the region of her eyes, thinking of the model she’d studied so long and hard. Vasin would see her eyes glow with power, change shape slightly, and then he’d see her slip a new eyelid in place that slowly slid over her own silver orbs protectively. It wasn’t an unfamiliar thing if one had witnessed Akalaks in any length of time.

It was their infravision eyelid. “When I learned to change my eyes, I waited at the bloodpits until an Akalak died. Then I took his eyes and the tissue around them to study these eyelids. They were my models.” She said, resting her hands on his knees as she looked up at him. “I can see in the dark with them. It’s a new way to see, not one I would expect. It is as if everything living has a heat to it, a warmth, and that warmth leaves a signature. You can track footprints cooling across any substrate if you get to the site someone walked fast enough. I can touch the arm of your chair and leave a warm handprint I can see with these eyelids. I borrow the Akalak infravision with these. Vasin, color isn’t the only thing you can change with Morphing, you can change your whole world.” Kelski said from the floor before him, her hands gently on the sides of his chair.

She blinked then, retracting the eyelids, letting the morphing magic dissolve them slowly. Then, animalistically, Kelski rose with the grace of a predator and stalked back to her chair. She settled into it gently, folding her legs under her. She watched him carefully, knowingly, as if she could see the gears in his brain whirl.

“All the power in the world means nothing, Vasin, if you can’t think of a use for it.” She said soflty. “Good mages are intelligent people. You don’t need a talent for the magic or a gift or even to be particularly strong or fast. You just need to be clever. Magic is an equalizer. It can make the weak strong.” She said softly, then thought through what she’d told him so far and what she still needed to tell him.

“There are different types of magic. There are four categories of magic, in fact. Morphing is part of a magic called Personal Magic. Auristics is also a personal magic. Reimancy and Shielding are also personal magics. I know some of all of those. I believe Personal Magic is called Personal magic because you build it from the djed inside you. It’s truly of your person.” Kelski said, moving on. She shifted, more casual, throwing a leg absently over the arm of the chair.

“World magic is another category. I only know one form of world magic because Anja practices it. It’s called Spiritism and has to do with the dead. You will have to ask him more about it. I do not think he draws from his own djed to make the magic work. I think he draws from the world.” She said thoughtfully, curious now, and wondering herself.

“The third category of magic I know about is Divine Magic. That’s the magic you can get from The Gods. That’s why it is important to learn about them, Vasin. Akajia, Semele, and Xhyvas have all marked me. I draw magic from all of them. There is so much more out there though. I know Duncan and Crylon have magic from Izurdin. Ebon heals because of his Rak’keli mark. Little Rhaus has Audius… sound magic. Mercy grows things because of her Bala mark. The Gods make us stronger because our prayers strengthen them.” She said softly, then moved on, telling him about the last category she knew of.

“Lost Disciplines are the last. They are magics that are so old they do not fit into categories we remember. The Midnight Gem is one of these… an Architectrix. I have a small item that is built from another called Dominion. I know a lot about Architectrix but almost nothing about Dominion. If there are other lost disciplines, I do not know about them. But I am watchful at all times. One never knows when the past rears up and teaches us. I suspect that place we were beneath the city where we fought the metal snake might have had old magics in it. That’s why I got so uneasy in the end and wanted to leave so fast.” She admitted softly, offering him an apologetic smile.

Kelski

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Vasin on July 7th, 2019, 12:33 am

Vasin paused saying nothing for a moment but then cracked a smirk and let out a small laugh."I suppose so." he said with a nod."I guess if it's like that then it should be pretty obvious when I meet someone with talent." Vasin said sitting back just a little."But yeah, it was just a feeling I had. I didn't know what it was at the time. You are probably right that it was your magic." he said thinking that made sense, especially in hindsight."I think I've felt that sort of pull before, always been suspicious of folks... but I've felt it without realizing it. Never as strong though..." Vasin said thinking about it as he sat there. Fate worked in mysterious ways and sometimes pulled people in new directions. It worked in multiple ways, a gut feeling or a pull by magical attraction. Mysterious events and all sorts of strange matters. Regardless, Vasin was glad it had pulled him in a direction to meet his new friend Kelski.

Vasin leaned forward a little, the hand mirror in his hand as he had watched Kelski slink onto the floor. He was curious as to what she was up to, what she was going to do. Then, he saw it, her eyes began to glow and he recognized what she was doing. Kelski was moving Djed into her eyes. Was she morphing? The answer would soon come and Vasin blinked in wonder and interest. Her eyes like silver orbs, a new eyelid that slid over it in a blink. He had never seen eyes like those before, not that he could remmember at least. He listened carefully as she explained the morphing she had just done. Vasin breathed in a little as she placed her hands on his knees, almost gulping a little as he was so consumed in watching and listening to her. The example concrete and clear as day as she told him of the benefits to it."That's amazing... to see the world in such a different way..." he said."To see the warmth of the world. It would seem that you are right... there is more that can be done with it then changing colors or flying." he said understanding the powerful nature of morphing a bit more now.

"I think I understand. It's about creativity and cleverness as you mentioned. Someone could be far stronger then you... but if you are more clever and you use your magic in a way that they cannot predict... then things go to your side more... But it's not just about fighting of course. Novel solutions can be used for well... anything." Vasin said knowing now what she was truly getting at about magic."Thinking it is just about power... I am guessing that is something that can lead mages to overgive?" Vasin would question thinking that made sense.

Vasin followed Kelski's movements watching as she casually threw her leg over the arm of the chair. He breathed out and looked to her in understanding. A slight nod before he began to speak up."That makes sense. Personal magic from the self. World Magic from the surrounding world. Devine magic is drawn from the gods. It is... well it's rather straight forward. Does each do something that the other cannot? Or well... no, I suppose a better way of putting it would be they each excel at their own domain?" Vasin wasn't exactly sure how to voice that thought or if it was even accurate at all.

Vasin nodded though was a little reassuring."It's fine, that place gave me the creeps to... But... that brings up a question..." Vasin paused thinking about it just a moment longer as he adjusted in his seat."That snake... what kind of magic would have been used to make it? Lost magic? Some kind of morphing?" he questioned.
Vasin
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Mizahar Grader (1)

Postby Kelski on July 21st, 2019, 3:07 pm

Kelski thoughtfully watched Vasin. There was so much she wanted to say to him in this moment, especially at his comment, but she held back. Once she was bolder with her affection, open, and not afraid of things that would come of it. But now, after the man she couldn’t well remember, she was more cautionary, hesitant, and afraid to ruin something that was just beginning.

Vasin was decidedly a friend. And when she’d seen him the first time reading on that dock, he’d glanced up with unworried soulful eyes and talked of a journey circumnavigating the world – Kelski had been hooked. Not on the adventure; Her life had been made up of plenty of that since she was born. But she’d been hooked on someone who could dream a dream like that and openly admit it. She’d been attracted to him as well. And she felt rather weak blaming it on her magic and on the magic he so clearly demonstrated he held today. They were kindred spirits, the two of them, and could have a relationship that would benefit them both.

The truth was Kelski was inadequate. Her ability to bond was broken. She couldn’t pick suitable mates to save her life. Vasin would make an excellent bondmate and she could tell he’d also make an amazing lover and mate. But maybe he was for anyone but her. If she pursed the situation, she’d have to deal with all the inadequacies she’d been unable to fix before. She couldn’t bond. Another mage had told her that her bonding tendrils were wrapped in a death grip around her form and weren’t like other Kelvics – outstretched and constantly reaching for others. She felt too beaten down and bloody to want another mate. Her heart already had holes it in from the first man she’d tried such things with leaving her like she was nothing more than a discarded dirty rag… ripped up, too small to be useful, and too distasteful to clean and repurpose. So she blamed the attraction on magic.

The truth was they were just kindred spirits. Kelski was done with the days where she chased others to be mates – bonded or bedwise. She liked having someone in her bed, liked having someone to lavish affection on. But she wasn’t going to be the initiator of anything with anyone. Her lesson had long been learned on that score. And as she thought all that, she suddenly realized how off course her mind had gotten and she groaned silently. Here she was trying to teach Magic to Vasin and all her mind would do was wander to whether she wanted him or not.

Thankfully he didn’t linger on the attraction, but changed the subject quickly.

She was glad he heard her about the creativity and cleverness beating brute strength and power. It was an important lesson. “Yes, power… just brute strength… leads to overgiving. But you like sailing. You’ve seen how sailors take ropes and run them through pullies and add strength to the rope… doubling sometimes tripling how much it can lift, just by the amount of pullies it’s put through? Magic is like that. And your pulley is your mind – your cleverness.” Kelski affirmed. Thinking that was a good example.

Kelski was glad he picked up on the different types of magic quickly. It was information she was holding but not true to understanding exactly. “The Gods grant gifts of magic through their gnosis marks. And each of their gifts are related to their domains. So yes, I suspect that. But I cannot tell you what each god grants through gnosis… only those that I have experienced first hand. And Vasin, there is so much I don’t know… so very much. That’s why I want to study and learn more. I have no idea what that thing was beneath the city…. The Metal Snake. That’s why I kept its skull. I don’t think its morphing. Morphing doesn’t work with metal remember? And I don’t know of any Lost Magic that does anything like that. But there could be a perfectly reasonable explanation too. One I just don’t know about. I don’t know all the kinds of magic of each variety. We’d need a library for that or a mage that does know. I’ve asked Gilthas and he just shrugs and quotes me poetry that talks about more under the stars than we can know.” She said with a grin, resettling in to her chair.

“I’ve given you a lot to think on.” She said, rising, and walking over to him where he sat. She leaned down and enfolded him in a hug. Kelski didn’t touch much, not anymore, and it kind of surprised her that she did that. “I want you to really think about all of it, Vasin. Practice… let it soak in. Learn small things… fingernails to razor sharp claws… learn clever things…. how to toughen your bare feet when you are out in the wilds in case you get stuck out there without shoes. I want you to survive your planned adventures. This magic will help. And when you are ready, just catch me aside and we’ll teach you more…. Auristics, Reimancy, the things I know… which isn’t much, but stuff you can use to help yourself.” She added, and retreated, beckoning to him.

She’d take him to the kitchen, make sure he ate, and then make sure he settled for the night before she herself took to heading to sleep. Kelski wanted to make sure Vasin got a good start as a mage and understood the importance of all of it while still practicing self care and knowing the limits of his own body. Right now, she knew his mind was full to overflowing. She’d let that settle, and if he needed more lessons, she’d certainly help with them.

Kelski

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Previous