Location [Syliras Entrance] The Main Gates

Please post here first after registering!

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

[Syliras Location] The Main Gates

Postby Marx Eisenstahl on November 5th, 2013, 8:57 pm

Autumn 20, 513 A.V.
The gates were made of old, worn stone, drab and weathered. They hunched over a squat gate, ancient wood no less strong for its age. The battlements loomed over, their shadows playing over the swaying grass below.
A guard spoke to his comrade by the gates. Their voices could be heard murmuring over the woodland before them. It was a slow day.
Eventually, a small racket gradually grew closer. Then, peaking behind a corner in the road, a trail of wagons trundled their robust wheels over to the gates.
‘Oi! You back there! Wake up; we’re ‘ear!’
Mumbling, a figure shook itself from the mound of precious goods he’d been using as a bed for the past few weeks. He sleepily picked himself up from the pile, and joined the wagon driver at the front. He was interested in what his destination looked like.
He had to admit, he was impressed. It was by far the largest city he’d ever seen, even bigger than Ahnatep. And the way the shadows mottled on the wall was gorgeous.
The wagon driver looked at him with amusement. ‘Aye, she’s not quite the same as Sunberth, is she? Mind you, you play any tricks wot you learned up there and you’ll be given a right what-for.’ The driver had somehow learned he was born in Sunberth, and was now obsessed with the idea he was a villainous knave, or some other such nonsense. Still, he’d heard about the questionable methods employed by the knights in Syliras, and it troubled him.
Presently, the wagon pulled up at the gate to be searched. The man jumped down the front of the wagon, and was immediately confronted by the guards.
‘Excuse me! What do you think you’re doing, hiding in there?’ With a sinking feeling, the man realised that he was talking to one of the Syliran Knights.
‘I wasn't hiding, Sir, I assure you,’ he replied. ‘I was merely sleeping there until we arrived- I thought it better to reveal myself now, than wait for you prod your swords int- find me on your own.’ He wasn't sure he liked the look the knight was giving him. Finally, the knight sighed and waved his hand in submission.
‘Right. I take it you’re new here. Well, you've got a lot to get used to. First being to never talk to me like that or I’ll bloody skewer you.’ It took a great deal more effort than the now sharply awake man would have liked not to recoil in fear. It wasn't as though he didn't here this kind of thing every day. It was just that he was usually the one saying it.
He saw the knight drawing in another breath, and he hurriedly nodded his head. The knight sighed again. ‘Right. So, what’s your name?’
‘Serg- Eisenstahl. Marx Eisenstahl’
‘Right, then, Mark, you go in, but I’m keeping my eye on you.’ Marx ignored the misnaming and walked through the gates as fast as he could, to the sound of the wagon driver’s booming laughter.
At first, you might think Marx Eisenstahl is merely a foot-soldier.
You could not be more correct.
Marx Eisenstahl
Defiled by huggles.

Words: 15126
Joined roleplay: November 3rd, 2013, 10:29 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Emi Ko on November 12th, 2013, 4:01 am

Summer 54th, 511 A. V.

Breathing loudly, Emi Ko had been running for quite a ways when she saw the gates. Her clothing were matted with dirt, and she was too hungry to imagine. She looked at the gates, they seemed worn out and old. Like the ones on the edge of Zeltiva. Emi Ko tried to push those memories aside, as she heard muttering from the gates ahead,

The gates slowly opened up as she approached, being the only one there. She walked in slowly, tired and sore, as the hate closed behind her. Zeltiva was big. There was no doubt about that, but seeing this new city made Emi Ko lose her footing. The city was so large she couldn't comprehend exactly what she was seeing. Building after building.

"Hey miss." Emi heard a voice behind her, and quickly looking back, she saw a knight standing before her.

"Oh.... Yes? " She cleared her throat, she wasn't used to talking, and her talking sounded like a mumble.

"Are you sick?" The deep voice sounded like a growl, as Emi Ko wanted to slip into her little hedgehog state and hid away. The man was taller then her, not a special feat, but with his armor it made him more intimidating.

"No sir..." Emi Ko looked down at the hard stone floor. Summoning up the courage she stated, "I'm Emi. Emi Ko." She tried a failed attempt to smile, but it ended up being like a crazy person.

He grunted. "Emi KO." He said in disbelief. "Your young. How did you get here? Walk?!" He chuckled, noticing Emi Ko's dirtied clothing, Emi Ko nodded.

"I'm 15 sir..... I walked sir... Well ran also." The knights chuckle turned into a frown.

"Are you kidding with me..... " he noticed Emi Ko's sword, and looked up again almost believing. "From where?!"

Emi Ko went silent for a few seconds. "From Zeltiva." She whispered. The knight took a step back, shaking his head.

"Emi Ko. Cause any trouble and you are out. If what you are saying is the truth, you have come too far to turn back now. Welcome to Sylrias Emi Ko. Welcome." Emi Ko continued on her path, wondering what was going to happen next in her mess of a life.
Last edited by Emi Ko on November 24th, 2013, 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

3/3 Threads
Common
Others Speech
Hedgehog
Emi Ko
A simple hedgehog Kelvic

Words: 8419
Joined roleplay: November 10th, 2013, 10:44 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet

Postby Khairul Rumblestone on November 13th, 2013, 1:18 pm

Panting,the Mercenary snapped his head left and right,hoping that the creatures that attacked him was gone. The creature was as weak as a glassbeak but what they lack in power they made up with quantity. there were to much for him to handle

In the distance he saw a wall,a big wall indeed. sucking in a large amount of air he use the remnant of his stamina and sprinted towards the gate

As he was getting closer he saw two figure at the gate,a knight and a squire. The moment the knight who was in his forties laid his eyes on the Isur he drawed his blade and slashed at a 45 degree.Khairul rolled backwards in the nick of time and yelled "woah woah wait I mean no harm!" the young Squire raised he's left eye brow while gripping his sheathed blade and spat sarcasticly "Sure you did,running towards us with a weapon in your hand what other reason could you have" feeling contend with his insult but his jolly expression dropped as Khairul said "I was chased by creatures that I have no knowledge of. All i seek is to find shelter in this city"

The knight noticed Khairul's left silver arm and said "you'r from Sultros?" Khairul shook his head and said "I was raised in a Akalak settlement" he nodded and ushered Khairul into the great city
Khairul Rumblestone
Player

Words: 1355
Joined roleplay: November 12th, 2013, 6:58 am
Race: Isur
Character sheet

Postby Cylos Marn on November 17th, 2013, 5:11 pm

1st of Fall, 512 A.V.

After the better part of a day and night of walking the gates of the city were, at long last, in sight. The hunter grinned lightly as he hefted his pack to sit higher on his shoulder and let his spear rest in a relaxed position across the other. He doubted that anything would be causing problems this close to the walls... but it was always better to be safe than sorry.

A few minutes later Cy was at the gates, meeting the dour stares of the guards with a bright smile and a few pleasantries," Greetings kind sirs, I hope your day hasn't been too eventful?" One of them groaned, eliciting a small chuckle from Cylos. That likely meant the man had been standing there all day with nothing to show for it. He almost felt sorry for him... almost. The patting down and inspection he was forced to endure made him less than sympathetic to the knights plight... But by now Cy was used to it.

This wasn't his first visit to the city after all... but this would be his first time coming alone, and certainly the first time he would really feel like this place was for him... For once he would be staying, and somehow that made all the difference. When the guards asked him his business he smiled," Life my friends... Life. I come to ply my trade and enjoy the fruits of your fair city."

For a moment they gave him an uncomprehending stare and he countered it with a long suffering sigh," I be a hunter lads. Come to trade pelts and meat." He hefted his spear lightly for emphasis and they nodded. Another quick run through his belongings and they gestured him through the first gate, telling him to make a stop at the employment office.

As he entered the bowls of the keep he smiled, knowing he would be here for a while this time. Might as well enjoy it while he could~
Cylos Marn
An honorable knave

Words: 16770
Joined roleplay: January 8th, 2013, 8:58 am
Character sheet
Plotnotes

Postby Danough Trema on December 2nd, 2013, 5:54 am

Code: Select all
Danough Trema
1st of Winter, 513 AV
Syliras.
The Thread is titled.

He paused just outside the entrance and pondered the people lined up at the gates.

He watched people enter. Some were questioned for issues related to health, and others were checked for weapons or illegal contraband. Whatever the knights at the gates did or did not personally think of most of their visitors was unknown. Regardless of the person, the knights were trained to maintain a polite and friendly demeanor. And they were trained in many other ways as well. This he himself knew well.

He waited his turn in line, content to let the people in front of him move forward. It never occurred to him to jump ahead or to do anything contrary to what the gate guards might have desired. He had served as a gate guard himself and he knew the protocols and procedures well.

When it was his turn he rode up to the guards. "I'm Syliran Knight Danough Trema, having just returned from a rather interesting adventure." He gave them his wing, company, regiment and quadron.

Then he went inside and on his way.

Danough Trema
Ser

Words: 42164
Joined roleplay: November 18th, 2013, 12:27 am
Character sheet

Postby Gala C'tor on December 3rd, 2013, 7:20 am

"Finally I see the gates" a heavy set man in Galas latest group on the road said. Gala had made this trip numerous times in his life he didn't look up to see that gates he knew them well enugh he knew too the two knights that would be standing there inspecting people and was not surpried a moment later when he'd stopped in a line to enter the city. Asha the Zavain horse behind him made a low whine he to knew the city and soon oats would be his. Gala waited slowly moving forward leading Asha till finally it was hiw turn. The first knight looked him up and down while the second began inspecting Asha "Business in Sylira" the first asked. "Wintering here." Gala responded pushing back the hood of his cloak. The knights never like the answer but it was the truth Gala hated the cold and Taldera was king of the cold especialy in winter. Gala moved on into the city looking around at the busy streets all the people moving this way and that gods he hated this so many people.
Gala C'tor
Player

Words: 4473
Joined roleplay: December 2nd, 2013, 4:46 am
Character sheet

Postby Marrick Corvis on December 6th, 2013, 7:33 am

[spoiler=OOC]Winter 1st 513 AV
Marrick flew toward the city gate as if it were a port in a storm. When the Kelvic was truly honest with himself, that was exactly what Syliras was to him. The City was a respite from the endless struggle of his life. The wind buffeted him from side to side as he adjusted his flight feathers and tail to give himself the optimal balance as he glided through the wind. With the gentle flap of his wings he held his dark feathered form aloft. As he drew near the gate he could feel his little bird heart beat faster with excitement. He was almost there! The city of free men! The city of justice!

Since he had been, well a youth didn’t quite count as it had only been about a year ago. He had read about Syliras in books, and Gypsy had told him stories, but nothing could prepare him for the sheer scope of such a place.

The little Kelvic angled his feathers upward against the wind and he banked to the left using his wings like a sail, allowing the breeze to push him upward and out away from the wall. There he took in the height of the wall and the multi-tiered city. The little Kelvic tried to grasp the age of such a place and the man hours it must have taken. Marrick was practically gushing with excitement. When he could wait no longer, the little Raven banked again and followed the wall down to the Gate.

With a frantic flapping of his feathers he broke his decent and alighted on an unoccupied horse post. The nearest guardsman, dressed in a winter cloak, had his back to him and the little Raven watched him briefly before he cackled as only Ravens can. The noise must have startled the young man as he turned quickly spear at the ready. When he realized it was just a Raven he chuckled at himself a moment and turned his back to him again. If Marrick had lips at the moment he would have given this fellow a frustrated smirk.

The little Kelvic contemplated on what to do about this little setback and he tried to remember a few of the words that the spider lady had tried to teach him, or perhaps something the knights had said this afternoon.

“Kel-Vic” The he croaked, and the guard turned slowly a look of concern on his face. Marrick side stepped on his perch uneasily as the guard approached, his weapon in hand. He gave the bird a once over and extended his arm to him. The dark feathered little bird eyed the guardsman’s arm suspiciously cocking his head from side to side to try and give himself a better view of where he would hop to next. This man seemed genuine enough. With a flutter of wings he hopped flapped to the man’s shoulder and croaked in a broken imitation of common. “Too-Kind.”

“You’re welcome wee lad,” The young guardsman seemed someone pleased and amused and walked back to his post, and took to standing at attention again with the large Dark Raven on his shoulder. “Would you be willing the wait a tic, I am relieved at the next chime.”

“Too-Kind” Marrick said again, his imitation just as before. He was surprised at this human. He seemed somewhat understanding, yet very busy. The Raven watched as the guardsman rubbed his hands together to warm them and Marrick realized the young fellow was likely cold. Even in his winter gear. The little Kelvic cleverly sidestepped closer to the Guardsman’s head until at last he touched the humans neck. The Guardsman reoriented his body obviously uncomfortable by his proximity. “K-old” He managed to croak as he ruffled out his feathers, fluffing himself into a little puff ball of toasty blackness.

The Guardsman relaxed somewhat and even seemed to breathe a little easier. His shivering subsided and Marrick could have sworn he even caught the man smiling from time to time as he directed folk through the gate. At last his relief arrived, and the guardsman saluted.

“I am here to relieve you!” The relief said, followed by. “You have a bird on your shoulder.” as he pointed a gloved finger to where Marrick sat perched. Marrick Cackled softly, his throat a burble of darkness.

“And he has kept me warm Sir!” His mobile perch said back. “I am relieved.” At that the pair saluted once more and Marricks perch made his way through the gate. As they passed a young woman wearing similar gear to the guardsman that Marrick rode upon, the young lady took notice of them. With a shout, she raised a hand to stop them and approached.

“You have a Kelvic on your Shoulder.” She said a look of seriousness on her face.

The Guardsman Marrick rode seemed somewhat shocked, though unsure of what to do. He simply stood there as if the woman had proclaimed he had a spider on his back.

The Guardswoman looked him over a moment, taking in his shape. “Why have you not passed through the gates as a man little one?” She said a look of studious contemplation on her face.

Marrick stared back at her, bobbing his head trying to take in her shape. Her eyes glowed softly, which the little Kelvic thought was unusual. Though, perhaps it was some form of Magic she used to see him for what he truly was. Bravely, the little Kelvic lifted his shackled leg and showed the Guardswoman what he was wearing.

“Ahh, Marrick the Slave Raven. Squire Rodistar told us to expect you! Now, I’ve been told you can mimic speech. Listen carefully.” She said as she cleared her throat. “Biz-ness, or Ple-jure,” She said, annunciating her words carefully.

Marrick contemplated them as he tilted his head from side to side. He was there for both, yet neither. The little Raven then coughed up a word he had hidden in his repertoire for quite some time, though the spider lady had taught it to him well. “Fah-ree Dom” He croaked in a very female sounding voice.

The Guardswoman smiled genuinely at that word. “Guardsman Blake.” She said to Marricks Perch. “Can you take Marrick to a smithy to get his shackle removed? It’s my understanding he has worn it since he left Ravok. That’s nearly a season of travel without change. The little one is likely to self-amputate before long just to breath air as a man again.”

With the guardswoman’s final orders, Marrick rode into the city on the shoulders of an off duty guardsman as free, as a bird.
Marrick Corvis
Rest under my Wing

Words: 268368
Joined roleplay: November 18th, 2013, 12:29 am
Blog: View Blog (1)
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (1) Overlored (1)

Postby Volduin on December 10th, 2013, 8:40 am

3rd Day of Winter, 513th Year After the Valterrain.
Syliras Gate

"Ho! Morning Sers!" The words escaped his mouth with a chilly breath. Syna's light was breaking over the horizon and the morning chill was, mercifully, retreating from his bones. The youth was jarred with every rolling movement of his powerful steed. The cold of the night still lingered in his body and the icy steel of his armor. It also made Fern want to run faster. His practice with the animal was far from perfected, but he was able to ride decently.

Fern snorted her eagerness at the sight of the looming castle. The horse was ready for a warm stable and a gentle rub down from Cyne. The squire thrust his spear over his head, hailing the six men who stood outside the open gate to Stormhold Castle. Hard men, these knights were. They needed to be. If there was an attack on the city, these few were expected to defend her gate with their lives while it was closed. Brave men all, they aught not to be misjudged, especially by the likes of him. Cyneheard gave respect where it was due.

One man stepped forward and waved him down. It was obvious that Cyneheard was a squire, but a sly enemy could disguise themselves. And mostly the men checked for illness, as Syliras was barred from none. Cyne tapped his leather bound feet against Fern's sides, signally her to slow and stop. The large hooves fell more gently, slower upon the hard packed earth.

"Who goes? And where from?" The knight said, he wore a tabard threaded with the tree of the Windoak.

"Cyneheard Nigriso, Squired to Ser Nasher Amad. I am returning from a visit to the forrest." Cyneheard spoke cheerfully, his words loosed with the wistful air of someone out of breath. He set the spear's butt against the ground, resting his weakened right arm. On the road he wore both shield and spear, with sword scabbard tucked into the tack of his saddle. It was tiring to carry his full armaments, but pain was weakness leaving him.

Ser Amad would have his hide if he found out Cyne had been slacking in any way. The youth was still wary of the Knight's uncanny ability to whittle things out of people. And no Nigriso would be caught dead slacking, least of all Cyneheard's father. Cyneheard frowned as he pictured the Knight in his family's tabard. He himself wore the torch of Nigriso on his chest as well, a single memento from his father. A remembrance of his duty.

"Go ahead in then. Best be checking in with Ser Amad. I don't know him myself, but a lax squire is a long squire as they say." The knight advised, a wry grin showing a few missing teeth. Cyneheard returned the smile and thought the advice sound. He rode on to find Ser Amad.

The comfort and majesty of Syliras enwrapped him as he rode under the stony outer walls of the city. He was home.
Volduin
Player

Words: 6207
Joined roleplay: November 17th, 2013, 11:46 am
Race: Mixed blood

Postby Khalatinu on December 12th, 2013, 3:45 pm

Winter 1st 513 AV

The city walls sprawling in front of him seemed grand in scope, but gray and dull in appearance compared to the more vibrant, sandy colors of the desert oasis that he had longed so much to abandon during his later years there.

He knew little of the city that he was to inhabit, apart from what he had learned at the market of Ahnatep from various merchants, and what he overheard some of their foreign clients tell.
It was to be a glorious thing to behold by some accounts, and an a putrid, austere place run by steel toting grunts drunk on power who fancied themselves knights, by others.

Khalatinu was never keen on bowing down to the authority of the Jackals back in the oasis of Eyktol, let alone to a bunch of self-righteous humans and their assortment of pets who liked to go about donning themselves self-congratulatory titles!

With such a predisposition he arrived at the city gates where two guards, presumably knights, stood watch. He let them inspect his belongings, while caution and open indignation waged a war over his countenance. The unpleasantness adjourned, the two guards let him pass with the same cold indifference with witch they requested his cooperation.

]
Khalatinu
Player

Words: 7356
Joined roleplay: December 10th, 2013, 8:23 pm
Race: Eypharian
Character sheet

Postby Oriah on December 14th, 2013, 9:02 am

Winter, Day 3, 513 AV

Bath. Food. Bed. Bath. Food. Bed.

Such were the things Oriah chanted to herself in her head as she trudged up toward the main gates of Syliras. It was an impressive sight, and under different circumstances she might have stopped to appreciate its majesty. But, as it stood--or as she stood, to be more accurately put--she was too dirty, hungry, and exhausted to care.

Fortunately, there didn't seem to be too many people waiting to enter the city. Good. Less time waiting, more time making herself feel human again. In a matter of a few chimes, it was the Benshira's turn to be questioned by the intimidating knights. Their reputations preceded them so far ahead that the girl found herself growing more paranoid with each step she took. What would they ask? How would they react if she told them she'd recently been in Sunberth? Would they search her things? Would they manhandle and accidentally break any of her things?

Sooner than later, however, Oriah found her anxiety to be unfounded. The fact that she was unintimidating in appearance, female, and devout follower of Yahal did nothing if not pile on points in her favor. That, and to her surprise, the knight questioning her was female.

In her Tent, most of the heavy work and hunting had been done by the men. Her own mother had abstained from all forms of violence, which only further added to her surprise at discovering women could also be knights. Granted, there had never been any evidence suggesting they couldn't, but it was a bit of an unexpected sight all the same.

"State your business, traveler," the knight inquired in an even tone.

Oriah cleared her throat, then answered in common, "Have been traveling for some time and would like to settle down for the Winter, as well as see the grandeur of Syliras for myself. I follow the ways of Yahal, and my feet have itched to come here for some time, so this city seemed a fine choice to me."

The knight nodded after a moment's worth of consideration. She gave a cursory check through the Benshira's meager belongings, lingering a while on the drums, then suggested that, if she had the coin for it, to take up lodgings at The White Swan Inn. Oriah gave her genuine thanks, then trotted off through the enormous gates.

It was time to get this adventure started!
"Common"
"Shiber"
Oriah
Never Stray

Words: 364847
Joined roleplay: December 5th, 2013, 5:06 am
Race: Human, Benshira
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Featured Thread (1)