Location [Syliras Location] The Ironworks

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

[Syliras Location] The Ironworks

Postby Leviathan on July 5th, 2011, 1:06 am

If you know what you want already, you don't need the purchase moderated.
Bad News Everybody. School is picking up, Exams are beginning to happen, homework is growing time consuming, I may soon be evicted from my apartment, I'm dealing with severe and physical fights among several of my best friends, and I can't seem to find a time to get much needed sleep. I'm terribly sorry, but don't expect to see much of me for a long while.
Leviathan
Adapt, Migrate, or Die

Words: 281278
Joined roleplay: July 25th, 2010, 6:57 pm
Race: Staff account
Character sheet
Office
Scrapbook

Postby Auron on August 24th, 2011, 3:04 pm

Day 76, Summer, 511 AV

Auron flinched as the hammer crashed against the metal. Kaedyrn would have thrown a fit. The decision to leave the horse at the stable had turned out to be a prudent one, he thought to himself. It had taken him several bells to find the shop, and this one at least offered a better atmosphere than the last forge had. Sultros Blades had been a torment to him; it was not well lit, and the shop was sunk down into the ground except for a small courtyard where the work was done. Auron had refused to enter the shop, speaking instead to one of the apprentices manning the bellows. When he learned that Sultros Blades dealt only in commissions, he had been directed to Ros Vizerian’s shop in the Ironworks.

Piles of ore towered around Auron, awaiting their turn in the fires of the Ironworks’ forges. It was not the closeness of the space that disturbed him here, but the smell. Soot hung heavily in the air, stifling every attempt that he made to breathe. The loud clank of hammer against anvil had already given Auron a headache. Apprentices and their masters were hard at work all around him, but he managed to get the attention of one getting a drink of water.

They had to shout over the noise. “I need a sword!”

The apprentice gave Auron an incredulous look. “What? Not in Syliras, you don’t! Doesn’t mean I won’t sell you one though! Come with me!” He gulped down the last of his water, then beckoned for Auron to follow.

Inside, they were at least spared some of the noise from the forges. “So just how handy are you with that bow if you need a sword besides?”

“The bow is to keep my horse happy. Kaedyrn appreciates a little bit of standoff. The sword will be so that I’m happy.” Auron smirked.

One of the master craftsmen, standing behind a counter that the apprentice led him to, took the reins of the transaction at this point. He furrowed his brow, seeming to do some quick calculations inside his head. “You’ll be in need of the reach of a long sword then, unless I’m mistaken?”

“No, that is exactly what I had in mind.”

“We’ve a few to select from. These have been refurbished. They cost less, and …”

“No, if I’m going to buy a sword then I want one that will be mine. Not that I don’t trust that these are good as new, especially after you’ve seen to them …”

“Sentimental for a Drykas …” He muttered some other things under his breath as he led Auron to another display.

Auron scanned through the rack, and settled on a sword with knot work laid into the hilt.

“May I see that one?”

The apprentice hurried to collect the sword, and handed it carefully to Auron. The rider hefted the sword in his right hand, and gave a few practice swings. Well balanced. Metals were precious to the Drykas, and though Auron had never owned a sword before, he had practiced with them.

“And she’d be mine? This isn’t one of your refurbished swords?”

“The only owner she’s had before is me, who worked the metal.”

“How much would you part with her for?”

“A sword like that … 10 gold mizas.”

When Auron left the Ironworks, his pouch might have been that much lighter, but the weight of the sword hanging from his left side more than made up for the money’s place. A dagger was thrust through the belt on his right side. It was not quite as beautiful as the sword, but it would serve its purpose.
Auron
Jack-of-All-Trades

Words: 8465
Joined roleplay: July 30th, 2011, 4:57 am
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet

Postby Vez on November 14th, 2011, 4:33 am

Timestamp: 28th day of Fall

The air was cool and crisp, with an underlying chill when the breeze blew, and the sun was high overhead warming the stones embedded in the ground. They crunched softly under brown woolen boots as Vez strolled down the street heading towards the Ironworks. He was wearing his usual plain brown leather clothes, with the hammer he inherited from his father strapped to his unadorned wide leather belt. He could feel the wooden haft of the hammer tapping his leg with each step he took. He focused on that tapping, a slow rhythmic pulse: tap…tap…tap…; anything to keep from reminding him where he was going. He had not been to the Ironworks in about a year now, not since his father had died. He used to go in everyday with his father as he taught him the ways of shaping metal. But recently it was too much to bear. However, Vez was running out of money, and he desperately needed a job.

Vez stopped walking and shuddered. He had finally reached the Ironworks. In truth, he actually missed the place. Missed the heat of the forges, the clang of metal on metal, the colors of sparks flying in every which direction. It felt like home. He did not know why exactly he had been avoiding the place; it may actually prove to be a healing experience. Swelling up with a flare of confidence, he made his way inside.

As soon as Vez was inside, the atmosphere of the area overwhelmed him. As if one of the apprentices came around and smacked him across the head with a horseshoe. Taking a few moments to readjust, Vez searched about the area to find an Isur. He wasn’t hard to find as he stood out with his greyish skin. ”Ros!” Vez called out, “I would like to speak with you, is now a good time? I want to work here again!”
Last edited by Vez on November 20th, 2011, 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vez
Simple Blacksmith

Words: 12902
Joined roleplay: September 26th, 2011, 1:03 am
Race: Human
Character sheet

Postby Dusk on November 16th, 2011, 2:08 am

Vez

Ros had been pacing through the Ironworks, examining the works of his people and giving the occasional word of encouragement or correction. When he heard his name shouted, though, he looked up with a crinkle of his brow before it smoothed into a smile as he recognized the young man who called out to him.

"Ay, Vez! I was wondering if we'd ever see you here again," he chuckled, clasping his arm in greeting. "Looking for a bit of money, eh? Well, we can always use a man willing to work. Have you kept up with your smithing?"
PLEASE NOTE: Finals are over, but summer is eating my soul. As such, as of the end of June I will not be accepting any new quests/modded threads until I finish some of the ones I've already started/agreed to. My apologies for this, but I don't want to be unfair to those who have been waiting for replies!

Dusk's Office - Information on Syliras - Help Desk
Dusk
DS: Syliras and Wildlands

Words: 341560
Joined roleplay: April 6th, 2010, 5:33 pm
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 7
Featured Contributor (1) Trailblazer (1)
Donor (1) Power Fork (2)
Trash Medal (1) Thunderspork (1)

Postby Vez on November 17th, 2011, 4:53 am

Vez smiled. “Yea I figured I might stop by,” he chuckled.

Releasing Ros’ arm he shamefully looked down. “No. Sadly I haven’t been able to keep up with it as much as I should have, but give me a week and I guarantee I’ll be working top notch again. It’s not likely I have forgotten all of my studies in a year. If you haven’t forgotten you may remember I enjoyed and had a knack for making weapons.” Vez looked back up to meet Ros’ eyes, “So, what do you say?”
Last edited by Vez on November 20th, 2011, 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vez
Simple Blacksmith

Character sheet

Postby Boindil Armorcaster on November 19th, 2011, 4:16 pm

Timestamp: 50th Fall 505 AV

Boindil had heard of the Ironworks at the moment she entered the city. It sounded a great place for her to work at what she liked best. Crafting weapons was something she couldn't go without, but engraving them to be pieces of art was a real treat for her. But besides that, she also heard that it was ran by an Isur. It could feel a bit more like home if it was.

Carrying all of her stuff on her back, loosely wrapped in a cloth that hang from her Widowmaker, she had reached the Ironworks. Seeing the furnaces, anvils and all other blacksmithing tools, her heart rejoiced. So many tools, different types of anvils, big and small. Many furnaces, all with their own temperature. It was as if she landed in heaven.

Looking around, she noticed the guy who she was looking for, namely Ros the Isur. Walking over to him, the woman asked in Isur: "Ey, got any room for an apprentice and worker? I'm still novice at blacksmithing and weaponsmithing, but I'm a fast learner. Besides, I'm also an engraver. My goal is to deliver pieces of art to people, not just an ordinary weapon." She then remembered that she also had to tell the guy his name. "Oh, the name is Boindil Armorcaster.", she didn't add her clan name because he would be able to see it from her arm anyway.
Boindil Armorcaster
Weaponsmith/Engraver at the Ironworks

Words: 13169
Joined roleplay: September 19th, 2011, 12:07 pm
Race: Isur
Character sheet

Postby Dusk on November 19th, 2011, 6:05 pm

Vez

"Ah, that's too bad," Ros said with a shake of his head, flexing the fingers of his dark grey hand. "I had hoped you'd be further along by now. But we'll see how much work you're willing to put in here. You know this place well enough - I'll tolerate no slacking here. You'll work a full day every day just like everyone else, and if your skill isn't up to making salable weapons, you'll practice that on your own time and make horseshoes and shovel heads when I'm paying you. Understood?"
PLEASE NOTE: Finals are over, but summer is eating my soul. As such, as of the end of June I will not be accepting any new quests/modded threads until I finish some of the ones I've already started/agreed to. My apologies for this, but I don't want to be unfair to those who have been waiting for replies!

Dusk

Office
Scrapbook
Donor (1) Power Fork (2)

Postby Dusk on November 19th, 2011, 6:12 pm

Boindil

Ros greeted the newest Isur with a nod, giving her a quick once-over with experienced eyes. "Well met, Terras," he said in Isurian, quirking a smile. "We're always happy to welcome another Sultros smith. And an engraver? Well, that has it's advantages without doubt. Don't mistake me, we have a great need of good, plain weapons - but there are a great number of Knights here with the coin to spend on something pretty. Are you planning to stay in Syliras for very long, or is this traveling money?" he asked, trying to gauge whether or not he would have to replace her next season as he often did with new workers.

Dusk

Office
Scrapbook
Donor (1) Power Fork (2)

Postby Boindil Armorcaster on November 19th, 2011, 6:40 pm

"I'm going to be staying for a long while. Haven't left home too long ago and I don't like roaming around too much.", the Isurian woman replied, "And I can imagine that there is never too little work here." She let her widowmaker down, it had started to hurt a little on her shoulder since she carried it for three bells already. "I've already got housing, so no need to worry about that. Hopefully I won't be there too much. I'd rather spend my time here."
Inwardly Boindil rejoiced a bit again. From the looks of it, she had a job. And one where she could be crafting weapons alot.
Boindil Armorcaster
Weaponsmith/Engraver at the Ironworks

Words: 13169
Joined roleplay: September 19th, 2011, 12:07 pm
Race: Isur
Character sheet

Postby Vez on November 20th, 2011, 12:35 am

By the time Ros had finished speaking; Vez found that he was standing at attention, and barked, “Yes-sir! I wouldn’t expect anything less! I promise my smithing will be more than enough to craft an acceptable weapon and will improve by the day! ” He then relaxed his shoulders and spoke calmly, a smile gradually spreading across his face, “It feels good to be back, Ros. When can I start?”
Vez
Simple Blacksmith

Character sheet

PreviousNext