Location [Syliras Location] Undeniable Interests

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

[Syliras Location] Undeniable Interests

Postby John Vicari on May 5th, 2010, 8:45 pm

Dusk wrote:
John Vicari

A rustle and thud from one side of the store, then shuffling steps as Dominac's head peeked out from behind a row of shelves. "Vicari?" he said, eyes darting up and down the boy. "Vicari. Didn't seem one to let her boy go wondering off by himself in the big, bad world," he cackled, making his way over to John and peering up at him. "Then again, she was always a tricky one, was Amy. I imagine you've a few tricks up your sleeve as well, yes, young man?" Shrewd eyes met his for a moment, and then he laughed again, a little less nicely this time, and shuffled around John towards the other side of the store.

"Hello Mr. Ariva. Yeah she is letting me off but on a short leash yet I hear cookies may be coming your way. You know how Father cooks but between you and me he needs better lessons." John said passing a bit of time as he smiled at the old man. Most said he was rude yet he was never that rude with John, just showed how far manners went.

"Sorry to bug you Sir but was wondering if I could get a part time job here. My Calligraphy is getting a lot better now since I got that Calligraphy Kit from you awhile ago. I use it often as I can." He said like a little kid trying something new. Yet it was just the passion John had when it came to prints and books. He was in love with them really.

"If it helps I won't ask much of a pay until I learn more of the shop and such. Just want to work and keep busy as well as helping my family out with funds. You know my grandmother, Rose, she is no longer able to do much anymore other then be wants left alone."
John Vicari
Player

Words: 107575
Joined roleplay: April 20th, 2010, 8:19 pm
Blog: View Blog (10)
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 1
Peer Reviewer (1)

Postby Alistair deGrey on May 5th, 2010, 9:51 pm

It is interesting how all thoughts of philosophy halt when an old bastard tries to swindle you.

deGrey almost sputtered when he heard the outrageous price on the brick. His eyes became saucers for the second time in the shop. "Good sir, the architecture text is fifty gold Mizas, and the philtering is thirty. We now have a tally of eighty. Add to that the twenty miza drafting guide, and now we have one hundred Mizas." deGrey was purposefully counting slowly, ensuring the old man's ears could keep up. "Then we have the religion text, fifteen Mizas. Now, if you are with me, that is a total of one hundred and fifteen Mizas."

Now Alistair gestured to the back of the shop. "Now, you are asking eighty five gold Mizas for a brick I haven't even seen. I will pay you fifteen Mizas for it." deGrey tapped his bottom lip with an index finger, "Keep in mind, my good sir, that nobody else will likely purchase this item."
Alistair deGrey
Wulgaru given Breath

Words: 209442
Joined roleplay: December 25th, 2009, 9:48 am
Blog: View Blog (2)
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Medals: 2
Lore Author (1) Trailblazer (1)

Postby Dusk on May 7th, 2010, 5:07 am

John Vicari

"Well, I can understand wanting to be left alone," Dominac grumbled, frowning a little to himself as he wiped his dust-covered hand down the front of his robes. "Someone's always bothering me, huh? Yelling from the door like they haven't the sense to look around. You want to be a scribe then?" he said, poking at John's leg with his cane. "Helpers are always disappearing after a week. Well. We'll see how you do, I suppose. Four gold a day, for now, until I see what you can do and know that you'll be hanging around. You learn how to make philters, you'll get even more. Now," he said, waving for the boy to follow him, "come, come, I've a book on philtering you can copy out for me in case that gadgeteer returns..."

OOCCongratulations! You are now employed by UI. Make sure you do some training threads and promote the store in-character in order to earn you wages. Money will be awarded at the end of the season.

Alistair deGrey

"Fifteen mizas!" the old man yelled, and clutched at his chest as if he might fall down dead in shock. "You insult me, and my noble profession! Do you really expect that I'll give you a brick from Suvan itself - which came from the very depths of the sea and is still wrapped in a bit of cloth it was brought up in - for less than I would most of my books? Bah," he scoffed, "it's unreasonable. I'll sell it for seventy gold mizas, and no less," he shot back.
PLEASE NOTE: Finals are over, but summer is eating my soul. As such, as of the end of June I will not be accepting any new quests/modded threads until I finish some of the ones I've already started/agreed to. My apologies for this, but I don't want to be unfair to those who have been waiting for replies!

Dusk's Office - Information on Syliras - Help Desk
Dusk
DS: Syliras and Wildlands

Words: 341560
Joined roleplay: April 6th, 2010, 5:33 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 7
Featured Contributor (1) Trailblazer (1)
Donor (1) Power Fork (2)
Trash Medal (1) Thunderspork (1)

Postby Alistair deGrey on May 7th, 2010, 5:32 am

Seventy gold mizas could buy Ha'na a gold ring. Two gold rings! What a dolt fish.

Alistair deGrey imitated the old man's gesture of clutching his heart, more a mockery of his actions than of shock. When he ended the charade, a small smile played across deGrey's lips. This man must have been a mummer at one point, such dramatics. He had enjoyed Dominac's small performance, more for the fact that it was a surprise from the old man than from any talent.

Dominac was curious, in Alistair's sense of the word. He tried to hide it, but deGrey found himself more willing to peel back his gruff exterior and extract the wisps of knowledge beneath. But he still wasn't paying seventy Mizas for the damned brick.

"My good sir Dominac, you did not even put any work into the brick. You said a Charoda child brought it to you. Pray tell, did you copy the brick as you do your texts? I will give you forty Mizas for that old paper weight."
Alistair deGrey
Wulgaru given Breath

Character sheet
Scrapbook

Postby Dusk on May 8th, 2010, 5:24 pm

Alistair deGrey

Dominac whuffled through his mustache, and tapped the end of his cane against the floor as if flustered. "Didn't put any work into it? My boy, do you speak the language of the Charodae? Do you know how to sail a one-manned skiff to the middle of the Suvan Sea and find the exact right place to tell the little bugger where to swim? Oh, or perhaps you know how to preserve masonry that's been underwater for hundreds of years so it doesn't just turn to dust when it dries? Pfah," he said, shaking his head. "You'll pay fifty-five gold, or you'll take your books and get out of my store, young man," he grumbled, bright eyes darting up to see what Alistair's response would be.
PLEASE NOTE: Finals are over, but summer is eating my soul. As such, as of the end of June I will not be accepting any new quests/modded threads until I finish some of the ones I've already started/agreed to. My apologies for this, but I don't want to be unfair to those who have been waiting for replies!

Dusk

Office
Scrapbook
Donor (1) Power Fork (2)

Postby Alistair deGrey on May 8th, 2010, 6:03 pm

Insult, not injury, spurs the greatest reaction from the sleepers. For some reason, we lay prone and allow ourselves to be cut and bruised. Yet, when one insults our intellect, our pride, our honor, we shake the dirt and dust off of bowed shoulders and seek realignment.

Fifty five Mizas was not an unreasonable price to Alistair, and frankly he would have accepted it had the original price not been so outrageous. deGrey decided a more efficient means of persuasion would be needed to win Dominac over. Although he hadn't the slightest as to how effective visual aides might be in the negotiation process, but Alistair now pulled out his coin purse and loosened its strings. He began to quickly count out one hundred and fifteen Mizas, setting them down seven increments of fifteen, and one of ten. Then, he lay out another three sets of fifteen. "One hundred and sixty Mizas for the entire lot."

Before waiting for an answer, Alistair pushed the conversation forward, "Do you still embark on expeditions? When might your next one be?" The thought had been fluttering through deGrey's head since Dominac had mentioned the Charoda in Suvan ruins, and now he was interested. The thought of digging through a pre-Valterric structure was euphoric. "Though I am sure the infamous Dominac needs no aid, I would be honored if I might shadow the next expedition." Alistair wrinkled his nose, he did not like the sound of that. It seemed to him as if his social skills had failed him again, so he added, "Perhaps we might delve into a more, mechanically inclined target, make my skills of greater use." Alistair was babbling now, so he shut his mouth. However, deGrey knew there was a pre-Valterric society that had essentially invented gadgetry, but it danced beyond the tip of his tongue.
Alistair deGrey
Wulgaru given Breath

Character sheet
Scrapbook

Postby Dusk on May 9th, 2010, 11:57 pm

Alistair deGrey

Dominac glared at the pile of gold-rimmed coins, bushy eyebrows scowling down as he squinted, but he finally reached out and tapped a fingertip to the counter. "Fine, fine," he said, sniffing into his mustache again as he raked all the coins up in his hands and stuffed them into various pockets in his robes. "Wait here," he groused, and decided right then that he'd get the rest of the price out of Alistair eventually. So long as the boy continued to want to learn, he'd come pay for Dominac's books - he'd just have to pay a little more from now on.

He shuffled through the store then, laughing a little to himself. "So! The inventor wants to go on a grand adventure, huh? Think you're ready to get out into the world," he drawled, sounding unconvinced as he disappeared behind one of the shelves. "Soft city-boy like you'd probably fall down the first hole you came across," he grumbled, his voice muffled by the ancient books and various objects between him and Alistair. "Then again, we all have to start somewhere, huh? Maybe you'd turn out to be a natural. Or maybe you'd piss yourself the first time a slaver pulled a knife on you. Who knows," he grunted, coming back around the corner with a wooden box under his arm.

He settled it carefully on the table beside Alistair's books, just a plain, unadorned wooden box with a simple twist-bolt on the front. "It'll dissolve if you get it wet again," he cautioned, opening the box to reveal a tattered, water-stained scrap of gray silk which had likely been black when it'd been woven. He folded it gently back, fingers suddenly careful and delicate, to reveal a brick about the size of his hand. It was a sickly yellow color, and looked almost like sandstone. "There. Now you see," he breathed, folding the silk back and closing the box. "Off with you, then. If I turn my eye towards any adventures that need a mousy inventor, I'll send you a note."

Dusk

Office
Scrapbook
Donor (1) Power Fork (2)

Postby Dusk on May 15th, 2010, 9:46 pm

XP Award!

Alistair
XP Award: Negotiation: 1 XP

Additional Note
You have a brick. Congrats!

Please deduct 160gm from your ledger, and add the books and brick to your inventory.

Dusk

Office
Scrapbook
Donor (1) Power Fork (2)

Postby Elhaym on September 1st, 2010, 11:53 pm

1st day of Fall, 510 AV

Pain walked through the entryway to the bookstore with a guarded look on her face. "What a dump." was her initial and final assessment of the store. However, she had been told that this was the best place to find any and all texts pertaining to a certain kind of magic. Pain didn't know the first thing about magic, but she hadn't much to do that day and chanced upon the store. Maybe, if the price was right, she would do a little research.

Behind the counter sat a wrinkled old man, who seemed to perk up at the appearance of a woman, then slink back down when he took in the details. Pain was dirty, bruised, and probably hadn't bathed in days. Her hair was a mess and no make up had touched her face in, well, who knows.

"lo' there shopkeep. I'm lookin' for a certain type of book. It's about, uh... what was it called now... flex? Oh, Flux. It's a type of magic of some sort. Anyhow, I want a book about it. You uh, got anything like that in this... place?" She had to bite her tongue not to say dump instead of place, knowing well that the man would probably whack her upside the head if she did, woman or not.
Elhaym
Kick! Punch! It's all in the mind.

Words: 567762
Joined roleplay: August 16th, 2010, 4:25 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 3
Artist (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1)

Postby John Vicari on September 2nd, 2010, 7:52 pm

PAIN

The wrinkled old man did not say a thing to her as he stood up and went into the back room. Not even two seconds later a younger male came out of the room with a book in hand looking towards the girl.

Blonde hair was pushed out of his eyes as he ran his fingers in placing the book down as light blue eyes peered at her.

"Hello, how can I help you?"

His voice was soft yet not in the terms of weak but soft toned and kind almost. He was the main help and worker around the shop and most knew him due to it.
John Vicari
Player

Words: 107575
Joined roleplay: April 20th, 2010, 8:19 pm
Blog: View Blog (10)
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 1
Peer Reviewer (1)

PreviousNext