Location [Syliras Location] Undeniable Interests

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

[Syliras Location] Undeniable Interests

Postby Dusk on February 23rd, 2011, 5:50 am

Dlight

There was a rustle and a crash from the back room behind the counter, and after a moment an extraordinarily old man hustled out to the front of the store. "Can't even eat a bloody meal," he grumbled to himself, swiping at his beard as if to dislodge any crumbs.

He stopped at the front of the counter, eying the strange creature before him without any sort of awe.

"Well? What do you want, Ethaefel?" he said grumpily.

Jonathan

"That's Dubois' Musings on the Eccentricities of Women. Rather good if you're looking to figure out where they like you to put your fingers," a gruff old voice said from behind him. There was no trace of humor - as if that was a perfectly useful thing to know.
PLEASE NOTE: Finals are over, but summer is eating my soul. As such, as of the end of June I will not be accepting any new quests/modded threads until I finish some of the ones I've already started/agreed to. My apologies for this, but I don't want to be unfair to those who have been waiting for replies!

Dusk's Office - Information on Syliras - Help Desk
Dusk
DS: Syliras and Wildlands

Words: 341560
Joined roleplay: April 6th, 2010, 5:33 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 7
Featured Contributor (1) Trailblazer (1)
Donor (1) Power Fork (2)
Trash Medal (1) Thunderspork (1)

Postby Dlight on February 23rd, 2011, 11:07 pm

The sudden crash from the room further behind the counter was followed by the hurried appearance of a grumbling old man. Dlight stayed where he was, watching as he wiped his beard of crumbs onto the floor and thinking that it wouldn't help the already messy state of the store. Apparently he'd interrupted the owners meal. "Sorry to disturb you."

From how scattered things were, Dlight had the feeling he wouldn't have been able to find a single thing he was looking for without assistance even if he wanted to. "Book on playing violin?" He asked, voice slightly rough from his coughing.
Last edited by Dlight on February 24th, 2011, 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dlight
Your blight is my delight

Words: 51893
Joined roleplay: December 28th, 2010, 5:32 am
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet

Postby Jonathon DuFraine on February 24th, 2011, 5:21 am

Jonathon looked back at the shopkeeper, mildly surprised, then back at the book. Part of the surprise was the sudden appearance of the shopkeep; the rest was the revelation on the title of the book. He slowly replaced it in it's spot back at the shelf. "I see. I suppose that could be helpful... in some circumstances..." Probably not any that I will be encountering, however.

"Ahem. This is quite a... quaint store you have here." Jonathon stood with his back to the storekeep, more intent on investigating the wares than chatting. "Is there anything a hunter like me would appreciate?"
Jonathon DuFraine
Vigilant Hunter

Words: 71575
Joined roleplay: December 14th, 2010, 7:35 am
Race: Human, Inarta
Character sheet

Postby Templar on April 30th, 2011, 3:20 pm

Eanos:

A hand grabbed Vicari's shoulder and pulled him back. "Go to the back" the owner of the undeniable interests said with a grumpy voice.

"Artifacts. Arti- yes." He walked off and returned a chime later carrying a pair of old looking glasses. "These were used to see the crafted work and djed in greater detail." - It was just an ordinary pair of glasses that had been in use by a magecrafter with poor eyesight.

Dlight

"Violin. You interrupt my meal for violin." He said as he walked over to the side of the store and pulled a small book from a large pile. "Broken strings - Repairing a Violin. No. You said playing. Yes, just below." He pulled another larger book from the pile. Somehow, the pile managed to not tumble over.

"This, teaches the basics of playing the violin. How to produce a correct pitch and the different bowing techniques, especially Martelé style."

Jonathon

"You want to learn how to hunt by reading a book? Suit yourself." He vanished behind some piles of assorted items and returned with a duo of books.

"This first one, is pre valterian and speaks of hunting with animals. Mainly with hunting dogs, but also briefly mentions falconry. This book, written after the Valterian by a Vantha hunter, explains the dangers and the how to hunt Talderian animals. Ah, and here. 'Hunting the fairer sex' - A great guide to getting into the sack with a lady"
Derp.
Templar
The Templar Knight!

Words: 23533
Joined roleplay: March 1st, 2011, 11:14 pm
Race: Staff account
Office

Postby Jonathon DuFraine on April 30th, 2011, 6:14 pm

Jonathon, bemused, looked over the various tomes. The first book sounded interesting, but Jonathon had never had need to know how to hunt with animals on your side before. The second book was unlikely to be helpful, since he had never heard of Talderia, and even if he had it was unlikely he would be hunting there. And the third book?

Jonathon coughed politely. "So, this is a bookstore?" He took the first two books away from the shopkeeper, inspecting them. True, they probably wouldn't be useful, but Jonathon had been taught to love reading, in whatever form, from his father. And it would only be polite to buy something...

"I was hoping for something... I don't know, a little more practical." Jonathon gazed around the shop. "Or perhaps even a trinket." Actually, if this was a bookstore, his father's birthday was coming up. Perhaps this strange man had in his possession a tome that could catch the interest of his scholarly parent.

"But, if books are your sole trade-" Here Jonathon eyed a strange apparatus on a nearby shelf- "I suppose I could use one or two..." Jonathon weighed the books in his hands. "My father's birthday is soon, and I haven't visited him in a while. He always loved books."
Jonathon DuFraine
Vigilant Hunter

Words: 71575
Joined roleplay: December 14th, 2010, 7:35 am
Character sheet

Postby Eanos on May 2nd, 2011, 7:31 pm

For a moment excitement gripped the Isur. An artifact? Something that would help ease that leap into magecraft, a study which so far had proved more than a little troublesome. His excitement waned a little at the spectacles which were presented but he shrugged it off even while transmuting some of his personal djed so that he could examine the aura of the item.

His excitement turned to puzzlement. He could sense nothing special and it took a short while before the realisation that there was nothing special about the glasses finally seeped into his awareness.

He breathed deeply and shook his head to dispel the disappointment. Perhaps there was something he could do with them.

"How much for these?" His voice was politely pitched, for there were still the volumes which he had previously selected, though he could not help but insert some scorn for the disdain of the shopkeeper, at least he charitably assume that was the motive of attempting to pass off something mundane for something almost priceless.
Eanos
Overgiven Magesmith

Words: 443521
Joined roleplay: March 22nd, 2010, 2:38 pm
Race: Isur
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 4
Featured Character (1) Peer Reviewer (1)
Donor (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Elmoch on May 13th, 2011, 6:40 pm

16th day of Spring, 511AV, Morning.

Elmoch was looking for something new. He needed to learn something interesting. He had just arrived in Syliras a day before and yet he was already bored. "These people look like sheep!" he thought, referring to Syliran citizens. It didn't take long for him to stumble upon this mysterious shop. "Aha! This is where I will find what I seek."

He opened the door slowly and entered the store, only to face piles and piles of everything one could possibly imagine. "This is amazing!" he said aloud with a large grin on his face, and it didn't take long for him to begin browsing through the wares. He would pick up something of his interest and analyze it a bit, only to get distracted with something else even more interesting, and kept on moving on to every new interesting artifact or book he could see.

"How can I choose something? It's impossible!" he said for a moment while looking around and seeing so many interesting wares scattered all around, "Impossible!" He then resumed browsing whatever was on his reach again and at the same time expecting the shop owner to show up at any moment.
Elmoch
Player

Words: 20916
Joined roleplay: May 8th, 2011, 3:03 am
Race: Human
Character sheet

Postby Devlin Parker on May 28th, 2011, 9:05 pm

15th of Spring, 511 AV

The door proved more difficult to open than expected, as a pile or two of books were sitting behind it, so Devlin had to give at an extra shove, opening it just wide enough for him to get inside. He pondered over whether he should move the obstruction so the next person wouldn't have as much trouble, but decided against it. Instead, he walked further into the shop, slowly maneuvering the mess cautiously and slowly. He had been here once before; it was certainly the oddest place he knew in Syliras, and was the first place that came into mind when he decided he wanted to acquire more knowledge on magical disciplines.

His eyes darted across the myriad of objects and collections, noticing almost everything there would most likely have supernatural characteristics. No one seemed to be inside the shop, though they could be anywhere behind the heap of items piled around the room. "Anyone there? I'd like to purchase a book or two," he spoke into thin air, hoping some sort of shopkeeper would indeed come out of one of the thin aisles or elsewhere.
Devlin Parker
Tip of the hat to you good sir

Words: 11025
Joined roleplay: May 8th, 2011, 9:54 pm
Character sheet

Postby Flick on June 18th, 2011, 10:43 pm

Spring 15th, Morning

It was a crisp morning in the city of the Knights. The sun was waking up the birds, who sang their tales high in their nests to all who would care to listen. Dew clung to the fragile spider webs interlaced between branches of trees and bushes, glimmering like some rare jewel. In the undergrowth, small creatures scurried and scampered - looking for food before the next creature could get it for the little ones they left in their burrows. The world felt fresh, primordial, alive.

A small golden animal moved through the deep forest, massive ears listening for danger and small black nose following a rich coppery scent. Tiny feet made barely a sound as they passed over fallen leaves and damp earth. Occasionally, the little creature would stop, smelling deeply and walking in a small circle. She would lift her head and smell, before running off in a new direction. Curiously, the little furry thing had a small backpack on, designed in a harness style. It would be cute to see, but the idea wasn't to be cute. Inside it held a small white dress - rolled tightly so it would fit - and a tightly rolled string bag.

As the sun rose higher in the sky, the little animal seemed to find what she was looking for. She sniffed and snorted, before finally she began to dig frantically at the dirt. Moist earth flew all around and the huge ears lay back to avoid being damaged by debriee. Stopping, she sniffed again, before moving back and wriggling out of the harness styled backpack. The forest filled with a white shimmering light, and where a small fennec fox once stood was Flick. She brushed her filthy hands off before reaching down to open the small backpack. Taking out the dress and pulling it on, Flick shook out the string bag and put her small harness inside it. Kneeling down, she moved more of the dirt aside and lifted out a round object.

It was heavy, and metallic - copper if she smelt right. Thumbing away some of the wet dirt, the blonde kelvic could see whirls and designs in the metal ball. It seemed old, smelt like old. Placing it carefully in her string bag, the girl hitched it over her shoulder and began to retrace her steps. Through the forest she moved, her nose guiding her still. Pausing beside a large sycamore, Flick bent down and picked up a leathery book. It was bound tightly in mud stained cloth and sitting beside a discarded and warped wooden container. Flick was amazed at the things people left behind. Some of them were buried with bones of long forgotten ancestors, some of them were just lost long ago.

Continuing on, the kelvic passed a small stream and paused to wash her hands, digging the dirt out from under her nails. Shaking them off, she paused. There was something glittering in the water, between rocks and sand. Reaching in, the young woman pulled out a silvery chain. It glittered in the morning sun prettily. Off the chain there hung a pendant made of silver and a strangely shifting colored gem. It was pealescent mostly, with swirls of green and pink that seemed iridescent in the sunlight. Closing it in her hand, the kelvic smiled and set off towards the city, passing out of the forest with feet bare.

As she walked through the gates, Flick nodded at the guards who smiled at her and even addressed her by name. By now, Dimitri's relationship with the girl was known by most of his colleagues - whether they approved or not. It made Flick feel special. Homey. She belonged here. Walking barefoot through the cobbled streets, she made her way to the door of the shop Dimitri had told her about.

"Undeniable Interests." She read to herself, before pushing open the door and stepping inside. Immediately she was hit with the smell of dust, old books and acrid metal - and some other scents she couldn't quite place. Walking through the small interior, Flick's dark eyes searched for the shop keep.

"Hello? Is there anyone here?" She called out, turning sideways to get past a shelf of dust covered books and bottles. There was a rocking chair in their, she could see it, but whom ever could be seated in it was hidden by a desk full of clutter.

"Hello?" She called again. There was someone else in the bookstore with her. A mans voice...calling the same thing. Turning to the sound, Flick looked around.

"Yes hello? Are you the shop keep?"

Flick
Streetfox

Words: 59171
Joined roleplay: March 22nd, 2010, 6:33 am
Blog: View Blog (1)
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet

Postby Eeyeste on July 20th, 2011, 4:11 am

1st of Summer, 511

It did not take much to keep a Nuit going in traditional terms. Eeyeste did not need to fill his belly with food, his lungs with air, or his throat with water. In fact, two of those three organs had been removed before he had moved into this body. Eeyeste did, however, need to find a job that could provide him with enough money to... do things. Vague, of course, but Eeyeste did not have what one would call dreams anymore. He was too old for that. He had had dreams, achieved them, had more dreams and achieved those. His unlife was long. But a few mizas in his pocket might lead to some interesting assests, not to mention if he could find work at Undeniable Interests he might stumble upon some no-longer-lost literary masterpiece.

With such thoughts in mind, Eeyeste shuffled otherwise aimlessly into the store. His eyes, for the most part, regarded the room with plain disinterest. Nothing excited him and nothing fascinated him. If his chest still had lungs in it, he would have drawn in a long, slow breath to sigh deeply. Tragically, such a human symptom of disappoint was beyond him physically, not that he really cared. Dull brown eyes lined with beautifully long black eyelashes rested beneath a crown of limp, deathly brown curls. A worn, obviously second- or third-hand set of clothing comprised of a washed out grey shirt and equally faded black pants completed the look. Eeyeste was obviously one who did not care. The only link that proved otherwise was an near-ancient pendant around his neck of wrought silver, though the stone had fallen out of its setting long ago.

Twisting his narrowed, thinned hips this way and that, Eeyeste maneuvered his body with relative ease between the stacks. This host body had been thin when he had taken it for his and his ichor had only decimated its fat and muscle stores further. It wouldn't last long, especially in this heat, but that was a thought for another day. It took sometime, partially because the place was so cluttered and partially because Eeyeste was in no ruse, but eventually he found his way to the desk. Which, while clean, was devoid of an occupant. It took another few minutes to find an old man but the Eeyeste did it.

Not completely sure if the man knew he was there or not, Eeyeste knocked on the nearest shelf lightly as if it were a door, "Excuse me, I was wondering if you were hiring help?" And that was it. No words wasted with Eeyeste. Dark, dark circles blackened his eyes it sharp contrast to his deathly pallor signaled clearly that he is not alive but quite dead. He was a Nuit.
Eeyeste
A memory in the making

Words: 4605
Joined roleplay: July 17th, 2011, 9:22 pm
Race: Nuit
Character sheet

PreviousNext