[Phoenix's Vlog] Listen While I Ramble

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This forum contains a new feature for Mizahar - Videos and Vblogs! Feel free to post your Videos, vblogs, chats, and comments here. Find us on Youtube under WritersRPG!

Postby Phoenix on January 5th, 2013, 5:36 pm

Alright, fellow video goers, I'm making this thread to track all the vlogs that I make personally. Instead of making a new thread each time like some people *coughtarotcough* they'll all be located HERE.

I apologize ahead of time for the videos since I am much more eloquent when I type than when I actually talk. So... without further ado, here is Part 1 of a two part discussion on Wind Reach and Lhavit.

Only two parts because I got interrupted. :P

Phoenix
The Capacity for Inspiration

Words: 782528
Joined roleplay: November 22nd, 2010, 3:54 am
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 5
Featured Contributor (1) Artist (1)
Advocate (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Trash Medal (1)

Postby Phoenix on January 5th, 2013, 6:35 pm

And here is part two. Enjoy.

Phoenix

Office
Scrapbook
Trash Medal (1)

Postby Elysium on January 5th, 2013, 8:48 pm

|:)

Elysium
Never venture, never win.

Words: 519270
Joined roleplay: December 12th, 2012, 9:49 pm
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 3
Artist (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Accolade on January 5th, 2013, 10:07 pm

I want to know what PC was "camping" in the Unforgiving? You MUST tell me.

Second, I laughed when you talked about the Inartan being boldly stupid..in which case I point to Aela

Ok on to something serious. I wanted to know if you could explain a bit more about how the people in WindReach feel about Ivak since he was released. I believe that someone, possibly you had written that most of the people were ok with him now that they know who he is.

I found that interesting given the fact that upon his release a lot of people were killed and or went missing. I believe that Aidara's own sister disappeared during that time if I'm correct? So I would think that a lot of them would have negative feelings towards him. Could you explain this a bit more? :)

Ok and now for a really tough question. What do you see for the future of Wind Reach? I know that locations are going up and seasonal events and stuff, but what do you see for the future of the city as a whole?
Accolade
The Journey begins here...

Words: 307037
Joined roleplay: August 24th, 2012, 12:45 am
Office
Featured Contributor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Trash Medal (1)

Postby Dariel on January 6th, 2013, 6:52 am

Lhavit has no port connected to it? Gods I feel smug right now.

Regarding the Asian flair of the city, I think there's nothing wrong with having some of that. It shouldn't be a carbon copy obviously. And frankly I cringe every time Katanas show up cause they're probably the single most overrated over-sized exotic knife in existence. Never mind that their fighting style does not lend itself to fighting opponents who block blade on blade (ie. someone with a European style bladed weapon) or wear steel armor. But that's just a pet peevee of mine.

A lot of the tropes are also hard to translate. Try explaining why anyone would build a quaint house made of wood and paper when space is at a premium, the building spot is constantly assaulted by high speed winds, rain, hail, snow and Skyglass is an available building material (oh, hidden bonus question: how opaque is Skyglass? I somehow always imagine it to look more like amber than glass). There is a whole slew of such 'form follows function' issues. Like, developing a Katana only makes sense if your enemies don't wear armor or their armor is stiff and soft. A lot of the actual Katana damage is delivered by cutting rather than straight-up slashing. Supple armors like non-boiled leathers or chain mail wouldn't be very impressed.

On the other hand, if done right I think it could be really enriching. The very prevalent mixture of magic and martial abilities in both the Shinya and the Towers gives off more than a bit of a Wuxia vibe. I see little wrong with indulging that conceptually. We do have cultures superficially resembling things found in earth history. Parts of Ravok are inspired by Venice, Ahnathep is reminiscent of classical Egypt. I find taking inspiration from -particularly- the Wuxia genre for a city that mixes spirituality, knowledge both mundane and arcane with martial undertakings is not a bad thing.

Conversely, I can't see your Victorian image at all. The Victorian age was an age of invention and exploration coupled with a paradoxically morally restrictive society. Lhavitians as presented seem more interested in philosophical and spiritual advancement than straight-up technological advancement. They also don't seem to leave their mountains a lot, and lastly their morals are rather liberal.

And lastly, I frankly find the fact that the Sunrise Nook offers a modern American style breakfast in Mizahar far more jarring than the Asian influences.

Oh, but I got another question. That is regarding the actual topography of the city. Most written texts seem to assume that the peaks are actually plateaus that together offer enough room for 9000 people to live. Even if a lot or all the structures have multiple stories, the large number of ceremonial and functional buildings still means we're talking about a magnitude of square miles. It would seem odd that all these peaks are actually flat tops. Sure, this might be the very reason the city founders were lead there. I'd just like a clearer idea. I could have sworn an aside somewhere suggested that Lhavit actually included platforms on several levels and thus most likely bridges and walkways along higher stories. What is the actual lay of the city like?

Edit: Regarding the Unforgiving. Either the Sultros or Isur writeup says they have opened above ground fortified trade stations inside their zone of control. That is one thing that to me suggests that travel through the Unforgiving is a thorough possibility. Unless the only people they trade with are the Inarta, but then why would they need several trade stations when all the Inarta come from the one direction, ie. Wind Reach? Moreover, Sultros is the one city in Kalea that's definitely landlocked. How do Isur PCs get out? Just looking at the regional map I'd have assumed that there'd be trade routes going to Lhavit and Alvadas and therefore also connecting the two cities in a roundabouts way. Of course I wouldn't expect paved roads (though the Romans built those through the Alps), just known or marked paths across the lowest passes. That's definitely something that should get clarified.

Also, in the real world, trees stop growing over 2-3 miles above sea level. Once you're above the treeline you can actually see pretty far. If Mizahar is roughly the same and the Unforgiving decidedly higher, staying above the treeline would be one way for travellers to stay safer from animals and monsters, though at the cost of delivering themselves to the elements. That's just a random thought though.
Dariel
Rime and Reason

Words: 98432
Joined roleplay: November 13th, 2012, 10:10 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Journal

Postby Phoenix on January 6th, 2013, 7:11 am

Dariel wrote:Lhavit has no port connected to it? Gods I feel smug right now.

Yes, I've had this pointed out quite a lot since I made the video. I get it. I overlooked it in the Misty Peaks because I never expected it to be there.

I never claimed to be an expert on Lhavit and I will address a lot of this in a later video.
Phoenix

Office
Scrapbook
Trash Medal (1)

Postby Gossamer on January 6th, 2013, 4:30 pm

Who would look for a Port in the Misty Peaks? I knew it was there, but then again I also claimed it was the dumbest location for a port ever when the wholly incompetent AS that posted it did. Why would a GUEST BABYSITTING DS know? Cut her some slack, folks. She's just babysitting and trying to help a city that has floundered under a whole lot of - lets be honest - BAD MODERATION.

Okay, I can address the Sultros trade centers.

They are on the COAST of The Suvan Sea and the Western Sea... no where near the interior. The Isur navigate the interior just fine because they do so miles and miles below ground in their massive network of tunnels. Thats why the Isur thrive in Kalea. Most everything they do is underground. I'm uploading a huge video response for Jules right now that's about 17 minutes long. I did it last night and would have posted it but I had technical issues I had to talk to Tarot about this morning and have him fix. Thanks Tarot! It will be up as soon as it uploads again - which took about an hour last time.

Look...

One thing I want to say is that there's a difference between politely disagreeing with someone and being over the top swelled head smugly rude to them. Don't be an ass. People go out on a limb to make a video and get people informed. And you should be respectful of that, not basically tell everyone everything you know and how wrong someone making a video is. It's not going to get people to keep the video's coming like everyone has already repeatedly said if all they are met with is hostility. Remember, you can get a hundred 'thanks!' and its the one 'You are SO WRONG!" video you actually remember.
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6356204
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Elysium on January 6th, 2013, 5:24 pm

Dariel, please watch your modifiers. You should really consider developing some tact. This is intended as an informational discussion. Jen made some cogent points above, but I thought since you dedicated obvious effort toward your response I thought I’d do you the same courtesy. Aside from her address of the trade routes and the port, I will provide you a general overview of what you’ve just said.

There is nothing wrong with “asian flair” as you put it, but any and all allusions to real world culture are more or less incidental. There is nothing wrong with being influenced by them, but I would like to re-iterate that Mizahar is an original world. Lhavit is going to be a synthesis of cultural elements. I’ll address this more as I go along. So, in reference to Katanas, I applaud your grasp of the weapon’s form and function but I am unfortunately failing to see the overall point mentioning it. Lhavit is a highly contained city as it is defined right now (once again reminding you that it is under construction – a detail you may have overlooked) and though the weapon may be ineffective against substantial armors, there are no heavily armored citizens roaming the streets of Lhavit. Even so, the Shinya as a whole is not limited to the use of a katana and further, is certainly not limited to a martial weapon alone.

The paper-style house is an allusion to the previous “asian flair” which would directly correlate some of the reasoning behind moving away from that particular influence. Note that skyglass is openly used as a building material. I agree that many elements of the city and it’s construction need to be expanded upon, but I would like to re-iterate that the city let alone the region is under new management and prompts a great deal of restructuring, Any inconsistencies you find can be attributed to that.

So going back to your previous point about the asian influence, we have no intention of migrating away from that in reference to the Shinya or the Towers for that matter. Any “form versus function” issues are in the process of being addressed. You will get that information in due time. However, let me say that this is not and never has been an open affront against the asian style. (Whether or not you were trying to imply that, it needs to be said.) Personally, I am looking forward to integrating some “Damascus” under Saladin influences as well as modern and Victorian influences. And for the record, the mention of Victorian at all was more or less in regard to their fashion and nothing more. I think perhaps your assumption that Lhavitians are liberal is conjecture based on your incredibly limited base of information. All of these observations are limited to the intellectual inconsistencies of many, many storytellers over time.

These problems will be rectified. Furthermore, the mountains can arguably be shaped by earth reimancy. Much of Mount Skyinarta was formed in the same fashion and therefore, I would consider that before making any assertions. The lay of the city is very clearly addressed in the lore and I would re-direct you there. Five peaks, three tiers to each peak.

Sultros is managed by Gillar. Anything in regards to Isur can be redirected to he or Gossamer, who has already beautifully addressed that question. Lhavit needs to be restructured in many different regards. That was something we hoped was obvious, but perhaps it is not. I hope I’ve managed to expand what seems to be a very narrow perspective. Thank you. :)
Elysium
Never venture, never win.

Words: 519270
Joined roleplay: December 12th, 2012, 9:49 pm
Office
Scrapbook
Artist (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Gossamer on January 6th, 2013, 7:05 pm

Round two... lets make sure this one works. It does.. finally. Webcams are so frustrating.

BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6356204
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Dumo Groneaud on January 7th, 2013, 4:09 am

That was fairly eloquent, actually. I can totally see the Victorian feeling of the city. The whole esotericism and the focus on the night, the stars and astrology itself, seem much like a Victorian thing to me. Not to mention the nostalgia of the Ethaefal. We probably owe that age much of what we have nowadays in terms of neopaganism and various other new spiritual beliefs too. It is a theme I can totally see in Lhavit, despite of the whole Asian-esque setting, it's not like the locations here can't draw inspiration from various different sources. ;)

Anyways, I wish you good luck with the city, it has a lot of potential, but it does seem to be a jigsaw puzzle with missing pieces that needs to be worked on to some extent. As for the video, it was quite informative to me, and I'm looking forward to your next ones! I am very much enjoying this whole vblog thing, it is great to hear what are the storytellers' thoughts on the various aspects of Mizahar. I think we are all learning a lot from it, as well as getting to know the people behind it all a little better.
Dumo Groneaud
Player

Words: 24489
Joined roleplay: January 4th, 2013, 4:20 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Next