[Character Sheets] Q&A

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, all the character sheets are kept for player characters. Feel free to come on in, browse the forum, look at what sort of characters others have created, and then begin your very own!

Moderator: Liaisons

[Character Sheets] Q&A

Postby Silva on January 16th, 2013, 4:39 am

Hello, I just joined about 2 minutes ago. I wasn't really going to join until I had my character fully figured out, but there are a couple questions I have that I can't seem to find the answer to without asking myself. First off, this seems more like a thread in which to ask questions pertaining specifically to the character sheet and character creation, so I don't know if this is the appropriate place to ask this. If not, feel free to direct me to a more appropriate thread (and I'm sorry if it is obvious, I couldn't find one).

I was planning on applying for a phylonura gnosis and making a phylonurist, and I wanted to know, given the 512 Djed Storms, if there were any regions that were in particular need of one, so I could alter her history/ starting point to one of these places. Depending on the answer to this, I may have several more. Thank you in advance for any help!
Silva
Player

Words: 932
Joined roleplay: January 16th, 2013, 4:07 am
Race: Human, Mixed

[Character Sheets] Q&A

Postby Hyacinthea on January 17th, 2013, 10:14 pm

Okay, I tend to be incredibly indecisive when starting out a new character, accompanied by a need for accuracy in any given moment, so naturally I've been having trouble with my CS. >_<

Please forgive any ignorance, I've never roleplayed on forums before in this type of construction, I am used to chat-based freeform.

There are a few questions I have:
1.) What is the name of the language that Myrians use that is a combination of whistles, calls, grunts, etc?
2.) I am starting my character off with Lore of Anatomy, an average book of medicinal knowledge, and medicine skill of 5pts. Obviously, I tried to link all of her stuff together to procreate a foundation for a "witchdoctor" type of character - with the basis of medicinal knowledge I can expand outward in RP successfully, I hope. However, I am trying to write her pre-creation history, and am having trouble. The book she received was from her mother, who had a lot of medicinal knowledge, but died before a lot of it could be transferred to Hyacinthea. So, would an appropriate backstory for her be that her mother taught her the lore, which proliferated from the medicine skill knowledge, and then before she died gave her the book? Also, I plan/hope to start her off with Flux 25pts -- which is/was learned from her father. Her father is still alive, does this make him an NPC that I control? I wouldn't be playing him in regards to anybody else, but only in interaction with Hyacinthea. Or would I need to find a storyteller that would accept his position? OR maybe I should backstory it so he has passed away, and thus, could continue the learning curve of Flux through a storyteller. I guess a lot of this is something I should answer for myself, but I would just like some basic input as to what works the best.
3.) Hyancinthea was born and raised, and currently resides in Falyndar. I was wanting to split her starting currency between bikka and mizas, is this possible?
4.) Also, I wanted to start her out with ear piercings, and a labret -- is this possible?

Btw, this is my work in progress character sheet for reference. (If something needs corrected, would like to know before I post it as completed.):
Hyacinthea of The Slitted Throat

Basic Information
Race: Myrian
Birthday & Age: 21 years of age;
Languages
Language 1: Myrian
Language 2: Common
Language 3: Poor

Physical Description
Hyacinthea stands about six-foot, and weighs a solid two-hundred pounds. Her physical terrain is a landscape of steel-wound muscles corded underneath honey-kissed flesh with minimal scarring. Kohl-lined sockets possess olive-green pigments that sweep with skilled scrutiny. Facial features are rather pristine and proportionate, angular features with tapering brows and lilted cheekbones, straight nose and generous lips. Rebellious tresses fall in cascading ringlets, curling around her torso and stopping just above her pelvis, braids and dreads possessing random fragments of bones. Punctures of silver rings line her ears in abundance, and one singular labret with a captive hoop.

Character Concept
--

Character History
Pre Creation: --
Post Creation: --

Training (Skills, Arcana, Gnosis, Lore)
Pre Creation:
Initial Magic:
Flux ~ 25pts

Initial Skills:
Unarmed Combat ~ 10pts
Intelligence ~ 10pts
Medicine ~ 5pts
Tracking ~ 10pts (racial bonus)

Initial Lore (two):
Lore of Anatomy
Lore of Religion: Dira

Post Creation: --

Equipment and Possessions
1 Set of Clothing
1 Waterskin
1 Backpack, including:
1 set of toiletries
Food for one week
1 eating knife
Flint & Steel
Family Heirloom: Book, Average. (From her mother, includes basic medicinal knowledge)
Housing:
Permanent Housing
Homes are all white structures, roughly 20x20ft in size, and contain a hearth, bunk, chest, chair, and table.

Ledger
16 Bikka
50 gold-rimmed mizas.

Thread List
--
Hyacinthea
Player

Words: 2468
Joined roleplay: January 15th, 2013, 5:59 pm
Race: Myrian

[Character Sheets] Q&A

Postby Talia on January 27th, 2013, 9:45 pm

Hi! I have a couple of CS related questions. First, once I've posted my CS url for review, how long can I expect it to take to be reviewed? I know the staff is really busy. Second, can I start posting right away? Or do I need to wait until my CS has been approved?
Talia
Freelancer

Words: 6288
Joined roleplay: January 25th, 2013, 11:41 pm
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet

[Character Sheets] Q&A

Postby Twister on January 27th, 2013, 9:54 pm

You can start posting as soon as your CS has been posted--no need to wait for approval. Only if it gets an Intervention from a moderator, you need to stop posting and attend any issues a moderator may've found. As for how long it takes--it greatly varies. Just keep an eye on your CS after it's been posted and watch for Interventions or a little green check-mark next to the title and don't worry about it.
Twister
Justice is Dead, Faith is Blind

Words: 258837
Joined roleplay: November 18th, 2012, 7:01 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Featured Contributor (1)

[Character Sheets] Q&A

Postby Talia on January 27th, 2013, 9:56 pm

Great! Thank you! :)
Talia
Freelancer

Character sheet

[Character Sheets] Q&A

Postby Kraken on January 28th, 2013, 4:54 pm

Silva - Hi Silva! Welcome to Mizahar. It's fine to post your questions here! You're right, however, in that this thread pertains mainly to character sheets and character creation, so I would also recommend the Questions and Answers forum.

Your Phylonura question is a very good one. Wind Reach got hit pretty hard from the Djed Storm, since that's the location where it all began, but each region has faced its own challenges. You may want to message Gossamer (who created the gnosis) or ask the Help Desk for suggestions before you submit your gnosis story.

Hyacinthea - Great questions! I'll answer them in a similar format.

1. The language is often called "Myrian Animal Calls".

2. You can definitely include a book on medicine as your heirloom (a gift from your PC's mother), as long as it would reasonably cost 50GM or less.

The bigger concern I have is your "Lore of Anatomy." This is a bit too broad. Remember, a lore is a specific piece of information, or a fact, on a certain subject. What specific piece of knowledge does your PC know of anatomy? What one race's anatomy does she have knowledge of?

If your PC's father is still alive and you'd like to use him in posts, you'll need to apply for him as an NPC at the Help Desk. This is a very straightforward process, and quite easy if you want to use him in present day interactions. You can find an application form example on this Q&A thread.

3. If your PC is residing in Taloba, the Myrian city, I believe they only use Bikka currency - regular gold mizas wouldn't have much of a place there. However, you may want to PM the current mod of Taloba, Limey, and see if splitting the currency would be all right with him.

4. Both of those piercings are definitely possible! Just be sure to purchase each piercing from the Price List and deduct the price from your ledger. You can use the price listed for "earrings" for both the ear piercings and the labret.

5. I just have a few notes on your WIP character sheet - Don't forget to state that your non-racial bonus points came from the starting package.
  • You'll also need to state exactly what is included in your PC's set of clothes.
  • Don't forget to include your PC's birthday!
  • Remember to list your language fluencies next to your languages (ie. Fluent, Basic, Poor).
  • And in terms of housing, you currently list the Black Rock housing on your CS. If your PC is living in Taloba, however, this housing will not apply. You'll need to take a peek at the Taloba CS Template.

Thank you, Twister, for addressing Talia's question!
| Starting Guide | CS Checklist | FAQ | Character Corner | CS Forum |

Important Reminder!
Character Sheets do not require approval for you to begin playing! Once you've made your CS, you can go ahead and RP. "Verified" simply means that your CS has been looked at and there are no errors. Only if an intervention is placed on your CS must you stop RP to address the note.
Kraken
CS Liaison

Words: 162496
Joined roleplay: September 7th, 2012, 3:25 pm
Featured Contributor (1)

[Character Sheets] Q&A

Postby Z'hara on January 28th, 2013, 6:04 pm

Hi I recently placed my CS in for review and I was just wondering how long does it usually take to get reviewed I mean I did see how busy the thread was and I dont expect it to be instant but just give or take how long would you say it would be before I can start playing
Z'hara
Player

Words: 3365
Joined roleplay: January 23rd, 2013, 1:59 pm
Race: Zith
Character sheet

[Character Sheets] Q&A

Postby Kraken on January 28th, 2013, 6:08 pm

Hi Z'hara,

Thanks for placing your CS to be reviewed! We're a bit backed up at the moment, but the good news is that you can begin playing as soon as your character sheet has been posted! So you're free to begin writing in the domain of your choice. The only time you'll need to pause play is to address any issues that may come up with your CS once we review it.

I hope that helps!

All the best,
Kraken

Important Reminder!
Character Sheets do not require approval for you to begin playing! Once you've made your CS, you can go ahead and RP. "Verified" simply means that your CS has been looked at and there are no errors. Only if an intervention is placed on your CS must you stop RP to address the note.
Kraken
CS Liaison

Featured Contributor (1)

[Character Sheets] Q&A

Postby Talia on January 28th, 2013, 6:33 pm

Hey so I was hoping you guys could help me with figuring out my lores? The ones I've got right now are probably crappy and too general, but I know I want something along those lines, that shows that my PC understands, first, the weakest points of the human body (aka, how best to kill people), and second, how people tend to think (aka, how best to manipulate people).

These are what I have now:
Lores:
Lore of Human Body Weakness (SP)
Lore of Human Thought Process (SP)

Does anyone have any suggestions for having similar lores that are actually acceptable? Thank you!
Talia
Freelancer

Character sheet

[Character Sheets] Q&A

Postby Kraken on January 28th, 2013, 6:52 pm

Hi Talia,

Great question! Lores can be quite tricky if you choose to create your own when you're just starting out. In the first post of the Q&A thread, there's a bit of info on lore creation:

Ask yourself what your character specifically knows about that subject. If you wanted your lore to be "Lore of Syliras" but know that it's too broad, think about the important knowledge that your PC should have about Syliras. Some examples include: Lore of Syliran Districts, Lore of Syliran Streetplan, Lore of the History of Syliran Knights, and Lore of Syliran Culture.

As well, some key questions to ask yourself would be: Is my lore a fact, belief, or tradition? Is my lore a specific piece of knowledge? Is my lore relevant to my character's background and experiences?

For your first lore, think about what human body weakness you want your PC to know about. For example, "Lore of Jabbing An Enemy's Eyes Can Momentarily Blind Them" would work as a lore. You could also use a general subject (ie. Human Body Weakness) and then pick a specific piece of knowledge your PC has. For example:
  • Lore of Human Body Weakness: The Throat
  • Lore of Human Body Weakness: The Solar Plexus
  • Lore of Human Body Weakness: Hitting The Kidneys Can Cause Internal Injury
For your second lore, think about how your character would manipulate people. What specifically does your character need to know about human thought process? For example:
  • Lore of A Smile Can Indicate Innocence
  • Lore of Human Thought Processes: Using Compliments to Encourage Hard Work
  • Lore of Human Thought Processes: Beauty Means Goodness

Does that help?

All the best,
Kraken

Important Reminder!
Kraken
CS Liaison

Featured Contributor (1)

PreviousNext