Open Closing Time [Edreina]

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

An inland sea created by Ivak's cataclismic fury during the Valterrian, the Suvan Sea is a major trade route and the foremost hub for piracy in Mizahar. [lore]

Closing Time [Edreina]

Postby Edreina on May 19th, 2013, 10:59 pm

"What did yellow mean? On mast of ship, was yellow band with black circles. What does that mean?"

Edreina frowned slightly, pulling her hair out of her face as she walked. "It's my own personal mark, shows that the ship is mine. Not everyone does it. But those of us that spend time in foreign ports do it. It proves that the ship is ours if anything e're goes awry. I just... like the color yellow. Reminds me of sunshine. And the black circles are like caves." She shrugged and smiled, remembering the day that she painted the mark.

"When you speak of parents, voice was... um... I do not know word, but voice was not good. Like... you do not go well together?"

"Oh!" Edreina had forgotten that, despite the language barrier, Razkar was very perceptive of vocal cues. She noticed the way he seemed to almost be afraid of asking the question. "No no it's not like that. We are on... good terms. I just," Edreina sighed and looked down for a minute. "I don't know how families work among Myrians, but they are not very close among Svefra. Siblings sometimes stay close, maybe even parents. But overall, the pod is responsible for the children as a whole. We raise the children together so that we are stronger as a whole. My parents... They took a lot of time to bond with my siblings, Zindr and Surai, when they were little. I was," she snorted and shook her head. "I was the product of too many drinks. They were done having kids when I was born so when I could walk and talk, they did not spend too much more time raising me. I spent most of my time with Zindr and Surai and other kids my age. My father was caring... My mother always sort of acted like I was holding her back from something." She shook her head again and shrugged her shoulders, as if shrugging off her childhood.

"And you think it is a good idea, them see me with you?"

Edreina laughed dryly, scratching the back of her head . "They probably won't care. They know that I am pretty odd and seeing me with odd company is not likely to be too much of a bother." Edreina's voice suddenly became gruff and she puffed out her chest. "Odd ones tend to stick together. That way they feel normal." Grinning, she jumped from one deck to another instead of stepping on the rather old gangplank. "Dad always managed to understand me. Whenever I was down, he would tell me that. And that I just hadn't found anyone odd enough to get me yet." Edreina was surprised at how much she was opening up to Razkar. Usually, she would just bypass personal topics. This time, she was actually delving.

They made it to her parents' ship, finally, and Edreina brightened at the sight of her father on deck. He was a man with bright red hair that had begun to gray, starting with his manicured mustache and beard. The woman sitting at his side, Edreina's mother, had the gaunt, wind-worn features of a woman who worked hard every day of her life upon the sea. From the way that the man smiled warmly and the woman eyed Razkar curiously, it was obvious from which parent Edreina had gotten which elements of her personality.

"Reina! What are you doing by today?" The man asked, opening his arms to the duo. "Not asking for money, I hope?"

Edreina laughed and rolled her eyes, trotting over to embrace her father. "No, that would be Surai." She took a quick step back and motioned to Razkar. "This is my friend, Razkar. He's of Taloba. Raz this is Gnovak and Illsa Whitewave." Her father nodded and smiled while her mother looked abruptly wary.

"A Myrian on the Anchorage? It's been awhile," Gnovak mused, stroking his beard in the way that all men seemed to once they managed to grow one. "Been enjoying yourself?" The red haired man seemed to be generally interested in the Myrian's answer as he looked him directly in the eye and nodded at its conclusion. "Good ta hear." He turned back to his daughter. "Now I know you wouldn't be botherin' ta see us if ya didn't have good reason. What's going on?"

"Well, I'll be leaving for Syliras later today..." Edreina suddenly closed up, entangling her fingers behind her back. Even at the age of 22 - 23? What day was it... - she still felt a bit nervous under the judging gaze of he mother. "I- I'll be back in a season or two."

"Leaving awfully suddenly, aren't you?" Gnovak's thick brows knitted. "And for a bit longer than usual. Why the sudden change?"

"Just need a change of-"

"You're pregnant!" Illsa's indignation was sharp and harsh. At the outburst, Gnoak seemed to be caught between surprise and confusion, head cocking to the side as he looked his daughter in the eye.

"Oh! Gods! No, mom!" Edreina's face turned a violent shade of red that was an offence to her hair color. "Why the hell would you think that?"

Illsa relaxed slightly. "Oh. You've just never introduced a man to us before. Seemed to be a logical conclusion with your... recklessness." She sniffed daintily, distaste obvious.

With a sigh, Edreina rolled her eyes and pinched the bridge of her nose. "Mom... Stop. This isn't the time for a lecture. I just wanted to say goodbye. And now I've done it." Stiffly, she hugged her father and turned to leave. Once they were out of earshot, Edreina muttered to Razkar, "She only criticizes out of jealousy... My tits don't get splinters when I walk." She sniffed and lifted her nose in an imitation of her mother's earlier expression. "Sorry you had to come along for that. Family is an odd thing, isn't it?"
Edreina
Unbound

Words: 1079180
Joined roleplay: March 18th, 2013, 1:40 am
Race: Human, Svefra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Lore Author (1) Artist (1)
Overlored (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Closing Time [Edreina]

Postby Razkar on May 20th, 2013, 12:19 pm

Razkar frowned as Edri explained the nuances of her kin, and felt a wry smile come across his face. They were so different, and in some ways, similar. The comment about her ship and its meaningful markings he nodded at and simply logged away in his memory, another interesting titbit gathered on his travels. But her family... that was something more.

"It is different with Myrians," he said as they approached a ship that Edreina seemed to be aiming them at, "Family is all very close, and clan is close. Everyone know everyone, can be... stifling, I think is your word. Or would be. To us, it is just... normal." He sighed, mirroring her own exasperation in some way. "At least until you are grown, then it is annoyance. All aunt and uncle put nose in business, and when make mistake, fifty people tell you and a hundred know."

Razkar glanced over at her and smiled. "But it is good you still respect parents, and they love. It is way world should be..."

Then she answered his other, more concerned question and once again, he was pleased with the answer, though part of him wasn't too surprised. The Svefra seemed far more welcoming of the unusual and enigmatic than the Akalaks of Riverfall or the humans he'd met... and, he thought with a sudden traitorous flash, more than his own people were.

"That is also good," he said quietly, but it was clear he was troubled by his own almost-blasphemy, even if it was just in his own head, "Odd ones more interesting, too." His face brightened as she mentioned her father. "Ah, I have same thing with my father... I think. My mother... she was kill. Long time ago."

His words clouded yet again, a veritable seesaw of emotion that she was honestly probably too early to deal with, but before she could say anything more, they were upon her parents. The two were introduced politely by their daughter and, though he noticed her mother's very obvious and very suspicious glances, her father seemed an open book.

"A Myrian on the Anchorage? It's been awhile. Been enjoying yourself?"

Razkar shrugged but put on a polite and respectful smile. It was unusual, conversing with a human so fluidly, treated like a guest rather than an interloper, but faced with the smiling good nature of the being before him, it came easily.

"Have enjoyed the Sea People, Honored Elder." He said, not noticing the amused quirk of those bushy red eyebrows until he'd spoken. "Have enjoyed telling story, too. And Edri teach me to swim. Not much need, in jungle."

That passed quickly enough and Razkar bowed to the female, the matriarch in his own world, the head of the house. That things did not work that way among the Svefra was irrelevant to him.

"Mistress, blessings on your clan and your... ship."

A sniff was all he got in reply, and the conversation wound on around him. It was a nice boat, he had to admit. Clean, orderly... and old. He could feel the years and seasons etched into the woodwork, the mast, the sails. How many times had it circled the Suvan, he wondered? Had Edri scampered and laughed in the rigging as a child? Had-

"You're pregnant!"

Razkar reverie was shattered and his head snapped around in shock, just in time to catch Edreina's defiant response. But her mother was not fully mollified, despite the slight softening of her posture.

"Oh. You've just never introduced a man to us before. Seemed to be a logical conclusion with your... recklessness."

The Myrian drew himself up and decided that he ought to help put their minds at ease. That was his first mistake. His second was assuming a mastery of Common that, as yet, he did not have.

"That is not true," he said firmly, "And we only sleep together last night."

The gulls became the loudest thing in the world. All eyes swiveled slowly his way, though her father's seemed to strike sparks rather than observe, and Edreina's face matched her hair... then exceeded it. Ever had those moments? When the wrong thing is blurted out for all the world to watch it squirm? They say time stands still in them.

They're wrong. It seems like that, but it stretches. It expands. That frozen moment of verbiage mushrooms into a full-on opera to your embarrassment and discomfort and, let's face it, likely stupidity.

Razkar's mouth worked frantically and then the words exploded.

"Just sleep! I... I mean, sleep... Sleep like... like close eyes and go to dream? You know? Edri had much ale, and-" a suppressed groan from his side "-no, not... not too much, but... but too much to go to ship, so, she pass, and, ah... and she sleep on my ship. That what I mean. She borrow my blanket."

Well, that much was accurate. Let's skip the fact you were under it with her, shall we?

What happened next he suppressed, perhaps. All he knew was that more words were spoken and they were soon walking away again, Edreina doing her best to bury that moment and let it rot. Razkar had to sway almost into the water to avoid a barking Svefra who was carrying a basket packed with chirping birds.

"Watch where yer goin'!"

"Apologies..." He rubbed at his head, running a hand through thick black hair. "Edri... I am so sorry..."
My Words | Your Words | Myrian | Fratavan | My Thoughts
Razkar has been cursed by Yahal, and as such finds little acceptance from others; they will instinctively view him as being deceptive and traitorous. However, when close to one blessed by Yahal, the effect is negated. The curse is etched onto his left pectoral, and viewing the mark causes others to feel dirty and unclean.
Razkar
War Is The Answer

Words: 2242619
Joined roleplay: October 8th, 2012, 12:04 am
Race: Myrian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 9
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (2)
Trailblazer (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Closing Time [Edreina]

Postby Edreina on May 20th, 2013, 3:21 pm

"Edri... I am so sorry..."

At this, Edreina's suppressed mirth bubbled up into hysterical giggles. She had to stop to double over, hand resting on her stomach. When finally some composure was gained, she wiped her eyes and turned to Razkar. "Sorry! Gods Raz that was great! I don't think I've seen my mother turn that color since she caught Surai..." The memory sent her into another fit of giggles. "I should... be thanking... you!" Laughter finally stopped completely save for the random chortle as her mind wandered. Grinning broadly, she stood upright once more and motioned for Razkar to follow her.

"Next part will likely be boring to you, but I need land-dweller's advice," she gave him an apologetic glance as they wove their way into the more crowded trading section of the Flotilla. Edreina was quick to find her favorite vendor - and old woman with a kind smile and gently quaking hands - and set to speaking in rapid, wildly gesturing Fratava to find out what she had in stock. Turning back to Razkar, it was obvious just how far Edriena had fallen from her element. "Women in towns... They tend to wear skirts, yes? And corsets?" She frowned and took his advice with a curt nod. "Going to do it, might as well do it right, hm?" Her smile was slightly strained. Only woman in the world who hates shopping.

Edreina attempted to be quick in her gathering of clothing, but soon found that she had gathered a couple of items of the wrong size and had to dart back into the racks. When she emerged again, her arms were draped in a few flowing garments that she took to the woman to purchase. She had bought multiples of a few simply to keep from having change made and then carried about all day, then had let the woman keep the remaining change. As it was, the clothes were already getting on her nerves. She took the purchases and bundled them in the sashes that she had bought so that she could sling it over her bare back.

"I can already tell I'm not going to like this..." Edreina muttered with a smile, shaking her head. Perhaps being stared at in the streets was a better option.

After motioning a quick goodbye to the woman, Edreina huffed and stretched her arms up, knotting them in her hair. "If I was not so damn tired of this place I would cancel my voyage simply for the sake of being able to walk around like," she motioned carelessly to her near-nude form, "this without looks..." She looked over to her friend and grinned widely. "I can only imagine the looks you get. Nearly bare and nearly an armory. Certain to cause a stir." Edreina led them in a half-circle, back towards her ship. "Supplies are back this way. I just didn't want to make you carry them the whole time I was doing that." Edreina waved back towards the clothing ship with a scrunched nose.

As they walked, Edreina's mind drifted once more to Syliras and her eyes gained a far-off look. She wondered how it had changed, how it was the same. She wondered what she would discover this time. And, despite herself, she found herself wondering what Orion had gotten up to in the years since they had seen one another. He probably has a family and all that by now... Something lonely inside Edreina twinged, causing her to sigh softly. Deep down, in the part of her that sometimes admitted loneliness and longed for a deeper care for others, she hoped that it was not so.

Abruptly, Edreina was brought back to attention by Razkar's voice but it was too quick for her to catch what she said. "I'm sorry. I was somewhere else. What did you say?"
Purchases
  • 1 Cotton, Dyed Skirt (Violet)
  • 1 Cotton, Dyed Skirt (Blue)
  • 2 Cotton Blouses (Off-white)
  • 1 Brown, Leather Corset
  • 2 Sets of Linen Undergarments
  • 1 Pair Stockings
= 33 SM, Spent 4 GM
Last edited by Edreina on May 20th, 2013, 11:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Edreina
Unbound

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Closing Time [Edreina]

Postby Razkar on May 20th, 2013, 10:11 pm

Razkar just stared for a few moments as the explosion of anger and disappointment he'd been expecting was replaced instead by bursts and peals of laughter. Many a passing Svefra just stared in surprise at the sight: the laughing, giggling, doubled-over red head and the half-naked savage staring at her incredulously.

Finally he straightened with all the dignity he could muster and muttered, "So glad to make you happy, Edri..."

But when she grinned, Razkar found it impossible to maintain his bitterness, lips pulling up to mirror her expression as she all but dragged him towards yet another ship. From there he could see it was... fluffy? No, not fluff, or mold, but endless racks and stacks of clothing.

"Women in towns... They tend to wear skirts, yes? And corsets?"

Razkar quirked an eyebrow as she started to whirl through the clothes like some desert demon, standing to one side with his arms crossed but managed to nod at himself, somehow.

"You think I know?" Then he paused, re-evaluating since he'd spent most of a year in Riverfall. "But... yes. Wear skirt and shirt, usual. But corset? Only for, ah... rich female. Like... noble? That is word. Dress, too. But depend on female. In Taloba, all dress same, but females not worry about much clothing."

It was poor advice but the sea-strider took whatever she could get and vanished once again into the mounds of linen. Razkar sat off to one side, observing warily. He'd always hated going to the market in Taloba, but a tedious-

Then his eyes fell on something. He snatched it up, ran his fingers across it. Yes... perfect. The Myrian wandered over to the old woman sunning and fanning herself alternately, a couple of children or grandchildren folding clothes behind her, and she looked up sharply... but not with the usual fear or shock he was expecting.

"Yes, dear?"

Razkar held up the item. "Price?"

"What have you got?"

Razkar rifled through his purse and was careful to avoid chinking the gold too much. If the sly old female knew he had gold-rims, he was in trouble. As it was, he managed to hustle out a handful of coppers, almost a gold miza's worth. Not a lot, by any means, but it was a slip of an item, and-

The female shrugged and let him tip the coppers into her hand. "Seems about right. No-one's much interested in it. Not really a selling color, you know?"

"Not as much as you, mistress."

She chuckled indulgently and a red-haired vision came careening round a corner, arms piled high, but Razkar palmed his recently-bought item quickly. the old woman saw it, of course, and her eyes glittered with amusement. Oh, she thought, something special for the young lady, huh? Would have charged you a bit more if I knew that...

"I can only imagine the looks you get. Nearly bare and nearly an armory. Certain to cause a stir."

Razkar chuckled at her indignation of having to swaddle herself in the civilized lands, shrugging his broad, bare shoulders, nothing but a loincloth and breeches on underneath them. "You are in luck, Edri. Usually not wear breeches. In fact, when air get more hot, will not bother at all..."

Her purchases were quickly paid for and they were on the move again, the bundle of clothes tightly packed and shoved under one of Razkar's arms. His mother would rise from Dira's embrace and pound him flat if he let a female of his company carry her own packages. As far as he could tell she was fairly astute in her shopping, getting a colorful but practical outfit and for a good price.

"Supplies are back this way. I just didn't want to make you carry them the whole time I was doing that."

Razkar's eyebrows slammed down in mocked raise, shoving a shoulder into her as they walked over a plank and nearly knocking her off it. "Oh, so Myrian is dumb muscle for smart female, hmm? Oh, I see, I see all..."

His frown of exaggerated annoyance became a sly smile instead, not noticing that her gaze had already glazed over, fixed on the distant sea to the east. Her eyes glittered and danced with hope, wonder... even memory. Razkar would have noticed this, but he was digging around in his pocket.

"I saw something, and... Edri?"

"I'm sorry. I was somewhere else. What did you say?"

He held up his hand. A yellow bandanna was between his fingers, worn and frayed at the edges, the color slightly faded but still bright as a Koo-Nari, those twittering birds from Falyndar. The Myrian shrugged, meeting her eyes over the top of it.

"Got it on clothes boat. Thought you might... add black, I think. Or just have. Is last day. Must give gift." Her hand reached out but he snatched back gently, eyes narrowing just a tad, mischief in them. "Now, tell... when you were looking, over sea, just moment ago... was it big city in you eyes... or man you talk of before?"

Reciept:Bandanna: 98cm
TOTAL: 98cm
Razkar has been cursed by Yahal, and as such finds little acceptance from others; they will instinctively view him as being deceptive and traitorous. However, when close to one blessed by Yahal, the effect is negated. The curse is etched onto his left pectoral, and viewing the mark causes others to feel dirty and unclean.
Razkar
War Is The Answer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Closing Time [Edreina]

Postby Edreina on May 20th, 2013, 11:10 pm

Edreina snapped herself from the reverie and down to the yellow bandanna held aloft by Razkar. It was a beautiful shade of yellow, lightened by the sun and frayed at the edges by salty wind. To Edreina, it looked as if someone had taken a single ray of sunlight and woven it into the fabric. Curious, Edreina's bright blue eyed met the Myrian's dancing black ones, asking a dozen wordless questions.

"Got it on clothes boat. Thought you might... add black, I think. Or just have. Is last day. Must give gift."

That made Edreina feel rotten. She had not seen it as the end of their time together, not yet. But still Razkar was bestowing upon her a wonderful little gift and she could give him nothing. Or could she? There were dozens of baubles in her ship, perhaps one would remind him of his time among the Svefra. Gently, her hand reached out to take the strip of fabric only to have it snatched back. Oh! Had she stepped over some boundary? A blush rose in her cheeks.

"Now, tell... when you were looking, over sea, just moment ago... was it big city in you eyes... or man you talk of before?"

Edreina blushed all the brighter and sighed, starting to walk once more but at a leisurely pace, silently cursing her transparency. Would she ever have an emotion that she could keep to herself? One that her windowed eyes and unlocked lips would not betray? "Yes... I was thinking of Orion." She smiled at the name, despite herself. "It has been so long since we've seen one another. I was just wondering what's changed in that time. I know I'm not the same girl who tripped through the streets with him. I was also hoping to meet new people. Exciting people." People like you. Edreina stopped herself,not wishing to show just how much her time with the Myrian had reignited her curious spirit. "I'm sure that there will be many in Syliras. And if not enough there, Riverfall." She smiled widely, glancing up at her friend.

With her answer, Razkar finally offered her the bandanna. There was a curious light in those dark eyes as he likely pondered what she had said. Edreina's smile was small and delicate as she eyed the bandanna, running her thumb over it. Upon a whim, Edreina took the bandanna and used it to tight her hair into a high knot that still managed to cascade past her shoulders. Finishing it off, she suddenly looked her age, if not younger. With high cheekbones and wide, blue eyes that spoke volumes of ever thought that flitted through her mind, some would wonder why she did not keep her hair out of her face more often. With her hair removed from her face, each little twitch of the muscles in her face as she smiled or crinkled her nose or rolled her eyes became even more exaggerated, almost.

Edreina could not name the driving force behind the look that he gave her after she grinned widely and turned her head to the side in order to display the bandanna's new home. Before she could inquire, they had reached the man who portioned out and sold off rations. There was no haggling here, simply honest, solid prices. Edreina quickly gestured for ten days worth of rations and a new fishing kit as hers had fallen overboard on one stupid afternoon.

Biting her lip, Edreina hefted the rucksack that it was all piled into and offered it to Razkar. "This is where dumb muscle Myrian makes himself useful to smart female," she said with a quick wink, voice haughty and arrogant in the instant before she dissolved into laughter once more. With that, she began leading him back in the direction of her ship. Oh how odd it felt for her to have someone else to haul about her groceries for once. Looking over her shoulder at the lightly laden Myrian, Edreina could not help but grin. Maybe I should get myself one of these, referring to men in general, permanently. If for nothing other than hauling my things about for me.

Purchases
  • Rations (10 Days)
  • Fishing Kit
  • Rucksack
=16 GM
Edreina
Unbound

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Closing Time [Edreina]

Postby Razkar on May 21st, 2013, 1:09 pm

Razkar couldn't help the odd, rueful smile cross his face when she mentioned Riverfall. How did he feel about that city, after all? He had met many fascinating beings there, left with sworn possessions and some fond memories. But his leaving was not of his choice. His bloodletting had gone too far and he'd been forced to fight for his freedom (and, most likely, his life) against a towering Sylirian Knight. Only luck and skill had saved him.

Although, he thought wryly, "forced" would be something of an exaggeration. You couldn't wait to get to grips with a knight...

"Riverfall is..." he paused, searching for the word with a frown "... interesting. Very interesting. I know you will like, though. Many people, all over world, come to there. All live. And they would like you, I know."

His smile widened when she put on the bandanna, wrapping it around her hair and leaving most of it trailing in the wind with her hair, chords of red and yellow whipping in the breeze. Razkar nodded judiciously.

"Not bad..."

The rest of the shopping was a mundane affair, but such was all retail as far as the Myrian was concerned. Just things to get to keep you... maintained, and Edreina was no different. Rations, mainly, but fishing supplies and a rucksack, too.

"Have to learn to use this, one day," he said with a smile, examining a fishing pole like it was an ancient weapon, "Use spear in jungle. Spear fish. How can pole with string catch fish? Sure not that stupid-"

Razkar turned and found a bulging bag in his face. He blinked.

"This is where dumb muscle Myrian makes himself useful to smart female."

The Myrian's face contorted rapidly. Surprise, then feigned anger, lips grimacing and pouting until finally the bag was snatched from her with mock vehemence. She'd even mocked the way he talked, the little witch!

"Fine!" He bit back, but with a smile, as he swung the bag lightly over his shoulder. "Gods know I am not man to let little girl-" he dragged out the words with relish "-stagger like drunk under heavy thing. Need man for that..."

Their good humor and smiles lasted until they got back to the Goldengrotto, yellow-and-black mast serving as a navigation point for him now. They soon had the shopping stowed and were back on the deck and... and the sun was rising her and higher. Almost to noon...

"I have go back soon."

He spoke as they both laid on the deck, gazing up at the chattering gulls and the scattered clouds, mere smudges on the bright azure sky that promised heat and light and no rain. He heard her hair crinkle as she turned to him, but Razkar's face was set.

"Made a pact with Tonio. I pay for passage, he get me to Syliras. Must finish." He paused, seeming to hesitate over his next words. "I would like you to see... to see the Cuttlefish leave." He smiled briefly, happy that his Common was strong enough. "Please?"
Razkar
War Is The Answer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Closing Time [Edreina]

Postby Edreina on May 21st, 2013, 10:52 pm

OOCYay for template change! xD
"Fine. Gods know I am not man to let little girl stagger like drunk under heavy thing. Need man for that..."

Edreina could not, for even one fraction of a chime, hide her smile. "Since when am I a little girl?" She had to fight the urge to stick out her bottom lip and pout at him like one. Such an action would only affirm his statement. The continued to poke and prod at one another's ego as they made their way back to her ship and she led him below deck. In the wan light, they stowed the purchases behind the netting that separated cargo from cabin.

Once they were both back in the sun, an odd whim snatched the both of them and drug them down to the deck to lounge in the warm sun. It was a wonderful feeling, really, to be able to lie in the sun and just watch clouds pass overhead.

"I have go back soon."

Edreina nodded to herself, having expected such any minute now. She was turning to tell him to stay where he was, he had earned a brief respite in her opinion, while she cast off when he made an assumption that had Edreina rolling her eyes. As if she would keep him from leaving on his own paid-for vessel.

"Of course!" Bunching her legs and rolling back onto her shoulders before flinging herself upwards to land - unsteadily - on her feet, the Svefra grinned. "I thought I would give you a ride back to the Cuttlefish instead of making you walk all the way back. My payment for your help, yes?" Nodding to herself, Edreina began to get underway.

First were the securing lines, Edreina's fingers worked for a few chimes to undo the time-tightened knots before managing to set herself adrift. She wound the ropes around railing cleats so that they would be easy to access later on. From there, she used one arm and a load of balance to push her ship away from its neighbor, giving her enough room to maneuver. Stepping over the Myrian who was still sprawled on her deck, Edreina trotted over to the tiller and took the main and jib lines in her hands. Unfurling the mainsail, Edreina adjusted the jib to funnel the wind just right so that they were pushed away from the Flotilla. She wrapped the main line around her big toe and then pinned it to the deck so that her left hand was free to handle the tiller. Slides of her foot could still alter the amount of sail furled or unfurled but with a steady wind, most of her work was devoted to maneuvering her ship.

Edreina took the ship from the mass of the Flotilla many stride-lengths so that sudden movements would not send another ship drifting sideways into her hull any time soon. She circumnavigated the Flotilla with practiced ease, eyes narrowed and face set as she carefully commanded the vessel. She was still not the best sailor, so she had much ground to make up through sheer diligence.

It took less time to reach the Cuttlefish by sailing through the uncrowded waters free of constant foot traffic and mandatory detours as the masses became immovable. When she was almost up beside it, Edreina released the mainline and let the sail's linear tension furl the great white canvas, slowing her to a gentle drift up beside the Cuttlefish.

"Ship abroad!" She called up, loping over to the line she had stowed earlier and tossing it up into the waiting hands of a deck hand to be secured. No sooner than she was tied to the Cuttlefish, Tonio's indignant face was seen over the railing.

"Dammit, girl," he groaned, face awash with exasperation. "Can't you see we're about to depart? What's the meani-"

"I thought you might want your Myrian back," Edreina said with a grin, jerking her thumb back at Razkar. "But if not... I'd be happy to keep him." The look on her face was full of childish mirth. "Land-strider makes a good pack-mule." She tossed a wink over her shoulder before turning back to the captain. "Mind if I tag along? I was planning on heading to Syliras any way."

"More the merrier, I suppose." Though the tone of his voice made Edreina imagine he supposed otherwise.

"Done your tribute yet?" Her voice was sing-song, almost mocking the older captain as he turned to leave.

He did not even pause, deciding instead to wave at her dismissively. Edreina's brow furrowed and she rolled her eyes, muttering mainly to herself. "Let's hope the rumors are true and a captain goes down with his ship." Shaking her head, Edreina turned back to Razkar. "Thanks again for you-" the wind caught her bandanna and brought one of its merry little strands into the Svefra's peripheral. "Wait here."

In a flash she had disappeared below deck, only to return an instant later, pale hand wrapped around something light blue. "Now you can't laugh. I made this myself and I would be horribly offended if you did." Her eyes narrowed in an attempt at sternness but ended up only enhancing the smile she was trying to desperately to hide. Gently, she raised her hand and unfolded it, proffering her meager gift with some reluctance.

In her palm rested a pale piece of fossilized blue coral, polished smooth save for the little pits that once marked this as porous coral. One end had been filed smooth and to a point, like a tiny little knife. The process had taken Edreina an afternoon in her father's company, but it was something she was proud of. Turning it in her fingers, she displayed small carvings, darkened by ink in the blunt end of the little piece of coral. "Took me awhile to find someone who knew enough Myrian to show me how to write this. I still think I might have gotten it wrong. But..." Edreina found herself blushing furiously at this point. "Anyway. Here. I was going to keep it as a momento of you but now that I have one, I thought that I would give you this..." Stupid gift... Edreina sighed and hung her head. Sometimes, the whole "people" thing managed to escape her.
Edreina
Unbound

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Closing Time [Edreina]

Postby Razkar on May 22nd, 2013, 12:53 am

The sea lapped and Svefra cursed and gulls cawed, but they were as mute to Razkar as he turned the tiny blue object over and over his his hands. It was so... fragile. But beautiful. Just like she that gave it to him, and he was stunned at how close to her own eyes the shade was. But more startling were the runes and glyphs scratched into the surface.

Later he would marvel at how Edri was able to make such clear marks without shattering the thin shell of the coral. But for the moment, his lips moved slowly... reading his own language for the first time in seasons...

"For... Friend... From... Jungle..."

His face turned up and saw her looking at her feet most intently, toes picking idly at a patch of the deck. Razkar thought it good she could not see his face, and the turbulent emotions there. The warrior visage he put forth to the world was gone now, and there was but the man.

Not that old and still so naive in many ways. Unschooled in the world and fearsome with blades, but clumsy with women and liars. Forged and molded by war and death... but still just a man, and a young one.

"Edri.."

She looked up just as his hand reached out and caressed her cheek. It was surprisingly warm, though what else would it be? Eyes that were stark black on white held no terror for her now, not with the... hesitation in them. The strength it took him to hold back and keep true to his vows... though she could see, even her who did not know how to reads eyes, how much he wanted to break them.

"Just so you know," he said, voice barely above a whisper, "This is not kiss of love. But it is close."

Edreina opened her mouth to speak but it was smothered a moment later by those lips she had tasted not many nights before. This kiss was not the instant she had touched his, though; it was long moments and while both tongues stayed in place and there was no slide into the physical passion that so many kisses blossomed into, there as fire. There was passion.

And, true to his words, there was not the love that he bore for another, so far away... but there was gratitude and affection. And perhaps regret.

The kiss ended and he rested his forehead against hers, eyes closed.

"Thank you, Edri."

Razkar's lips quirked as they opened their eyes, and he stepped away, using the words his people often did in place of the more final "goodbye".

"Until that day..."

The Myrian turned from her with the little blue treasure in his hand. He climbed onto the Cuttlefish and ignored the glowering Tonio. It was no business of his, and since Razkar did not ask questions, he expected the same of the captain of the Cuttlefish.

"Right, you sea dogs!" Tonio's voice boomed over the deck as he glared at the Myrian's back, joining the Akalak's on the fore deck. "Let's get this maiden out into the water again!"

A brief cheer as the sailors girded themselves, scrambling up the mast and unfurling the main sails. Sheet after sheet of thick white dropped down and the wind was trapped inside, billowing outwards... heading east...

The Myrian stood on the top deck, his hair... gods, how long had it been since it was in a topknot. He shook his head with a wan smile, feeling tendrils of black whip and curl around his face as the wind carried them towards land. A smaller ship followed them, a torch of flaming hair bright against the deck.

Razkar didn't know if she was watching. He hoped so. He carefully looped a few strands of his hair through the coral, and left it swinging there; a spot of shimmering blue perfection in waves of shimmering black.
Razkar
War Is The Answer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Closing Time [Edreina]

Postby Edreina on May 22nd, 2013, 3:04 am

"Edri.."

This whispered word caused Edreina's head to snap up in a motion that sent her hair whirling wildly. Just as she did so, Razkar ran a hand over her cheek. A slow, gentle motion that both unnerved and excited the redhead to the point that her heart was racing and she could not even tell why. His rough had on her soft cheek created amplified sensations for both parties, she imagined; his hand felt rougher while her skin likely felt as soft as silk. Looking away from her hand, she managed to work up the courage to meet Razkar's eyes and was utterly surprised at what she found.

Usually, his eyes were still like stone, occasionally twinkling as he did something mischievous, occasionally alight with fire as his body became a weapon. But it was suddenly as if his eyes had melted into violent pools of ink, set bubbling and brewing by a flame Edreina could not name. There was so much turmoil there, so many different emotions trying to peer through a single window that Edreina could not name even one. He wanted something, that she could tell by the softness around his eyes - Wanted what? - but there was something holding him back.

"Just so you know... This is not kiss of love. But it is close."

Edreina's lips parted in what could only be described as a question without words, for she could not put the thousands of questions that danced through her mind into a single one to be spoken. But it did not matter. By all the gods above, he was finally kissing her. Those damned exotic, enticing lips were finally upon hers in a way that made Edreina want to squirm about, to move closer, to press her skin against his and gods so many other things. But he was still and by Laviku she would not do anything to jeopardize this. So, she remained still. Utterly and completely still; hands purposefully at her side; tightened abdominals keeping her hips from wandering forward.

In their stillness, an unspoken passion finally made itself known to Edreina, surprising her, affirming considerations long beaten into silence. As the moment wore on, feeling like a weightless eternity, Edreina's eyes drifted from their wide surprise to a half-shut lidding that spoke volumes of utter complacency. Behind those lids, a thousand images danced and twirled and writhed and tangled together with nearly staggering power.

The entire time their lips were in contact, Edreina's mind was at war with itself. Part of her wanted to take control, to seize the Myrian before her and persuade him into giving her what she so desperately desired. The other part fought back with honor and respect for a relationship with which she had no business interfering. Razkar trusted her enough to do this, it would be so wrong to betray him. Besides, there was an understanding. Edreina did not love him, he did not love her. His heart belonged to his Ayatah, hers to the sea. But despite that, there was a mutual craving that seemed to burn between the two forms like wildfire.

A silent, mutual agreement ended the kiss, prying apart their tamed, hungry lips but allowing them to remain close to one another, if for just one more moment.

"Thank you, Edri."

This whisper sounded almost relieved to Edreina, as if the Myrian had needed that as much as the Svefra woman before him. Their eyes opened in the same instant and Edreina found that she had been holding her breath, and waited until they had physically separated to take a deep, trembling breath. He was already returning to the Cuttlefish and Edreina turned quickly back to her tiller.

Once there, out of sight, she released the tension in her body with a tremble that rocked her from hair to toe. It's been too long, girl... A long, ignored part of Edreina purred indulgently, tempting her with each image she had seen earlier in slower order, crisper detail. When it caused a part of Edreina to throb with gentle persistence, the woman could not help but roll her eyes at herself. A kiss and he does this to you? You have definitely been out of action for too long. Edreina smirked and bit her lip as the two vessels cast off together, a deliciously deviant thought came to mind. Good thing open sea is ahead. Plenty of space to be alone... Gods, she really had to get a handle on this whole hormone thing; she was about to revert to the antics of a teenager.

Looking up at Razkar, she was surprised to see him tying the piece of coral into his pitch colored hair, and instinctively her hand went up to stroke the bandanna in her hair. Such strange effects strange people managed to have on one another.
Edreina
Unbound

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Closing Time [Edreina]

Postby Accolade on June 26th, 2013, 1:43 am

Razkar

Experience
Skill XP Earned
Socializing + 3 XP
Rhetoric + 1 XP
Seduction + 1 XP

Lores
Lore Earned
In search of a woman and found
Saving Edreina
Test of friendship - A night with Edreina
To Syliras! - a common heading

Edreina

Experience
Skill XP Earned
Observation + 2 XP
Brawling + 1 XP
Socializing + 3 XP
Rhetoric + 1 XP
Swimming + 1 XP

Lores
Lore Earned
Bad judgement, worse consequence
Raz to the rescue!
A test of friendship - a night with Razkar
To Syliras! - a common heading

Notes :
This was a really cute thread. Loved it. Make sure that you deduct your expenses from your ledger.

The Sylir has spoken
If you have any questions or concerns regarding your grade, please send me a PM and we can figure it out. :)

Accolade
The Journey begins here...

Words: 307037
Joined roleplay: August 24th, 2012, 12:45 am
Race: Staff account
Office
Medals: 3
Featured Contributor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Trash Medal (1)

Previous