[Edreina's Scrapbook] When All is Silent, I Still Hear Waves

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The player scrapbooks forum is literally a place for writers to warm-up, brainstorm, keep little scraps of notes, or just post things to encourage themselves and each other. Each player can feel free to create their own thread - one per account - and use them accordingly.

Postby Strange on January 19th, 2014, 2:56 am

Less than a week!?! How-?! When I first started watching it took me longer than half a week just to finish the first season. You are a Goddess of TV Watching.

Okay maybe that was a weird thing to say on the first time posting on your scrap but oh well. Have lots of fun reading the books. I know I did.
"I'm such a Silverheart fangirl"
Strange
AS of Sahova

Words: 71649
Joined roleplay: January 17th, 2014, 7:07 pm
Race: Staff account
Scrapbook

Postby Edreina on January 19th, 2014, 3:05 am

Haha I did two seasons in two days and then the third took three because I had school. :P

And don't worry too much; weird is welcome in my scrap anytime. ;)
Edreina
Unbound

Words: 1079180
Joined roleplay: March 18th, 2013, 1:40 am
Race: Human, Svefra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Lore Author (1) Artist (1)
Overlored (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Edreina on January 22nd, 2014, 12:05 am

Gillar's latest scrapbook post really got the cogs in my mind turning. I want to rant, now, but would feel bad for posting it in his scrap as a response so, behold! My little rant! :D

Short posts really grind my gears in more than one way. When a post is short and lacking substance, I feel like I'm trying to paint with tapwater. You've given me no pigment! How can we weave a glorious tapestry with only black thread? I do not want to dominate the thread, but I will if you're a little empty-reaction machine. GIVE ME SOMETHING TO WORK WITH!!!

Ahem.

One thing I've learned in school, writing essays day in and day out, is that you can always expand. Sit there, write up your post once all the way through, then stop before hitting that Submit button. Hit Preview if you really need your button fix, but wait to submit it. Constantly ask yourself the following questions when encountering a train of thought/an action of your character:
  • What immediate stimuli caused your character to behave as such?
  • What past stimuli affected their decision/actions?
  • Was this decision conscious or unconscious?
  • Do they speak/act with a purpose? What is this purpose? Is it an arcing drive or a momentary one?
  • Et cetera
Point is, you can always ask yourself these questions and countless more to build your character. Even if it is not giving me something to work with directly, if will inspire you in all of their actions to come and help you build a fuller character in the long run. The subtlest details can have a great impact on both your character and who you're writing with.

For example, your character may have a habit of running their forefinger over their thumb when nervous. This seemingly simple action can affect your partner in a variety of ways. They could immediately come to unconsciously like/loath your character as it reminds them of someone else they knew. They could be curious about why you do it, leading to a grisly account of the time you nearly lost it to a banana peeler. Your character may choose a pale yellow rose out of a dozen offered because its the same color of the roses your mother used to hang in the window sill during spring, not just because it is their favorite color. Every decision is based in unconscious preferences; the more you delve into these as a writer, the more you draw in your reader.

I was talking about short posts. Crap.

Anywhoozles, I do think that, at times, short posts can be beneficial. When the main purpose of your thread is exchanging pleasantries just so that your characters have a chance to meet one another, keep it brief enough for the conversation to flow smoothly. Also, if your post is absolutely full of telling and interesting content, I will be content.

Ok another rant I have to make is about skill selection. People do what they love or what they are naturally suited for; your character should be no different. Don't make your meek and mild character a weapons master because you like to write conflict and beat people up. Don't study every magic possible because you want to write about every magic possible. You can always make more characters (unless you have five... :P ). Each skill needs to somehow relate to how your character currently is and who they hope to be.

This goes for gods, too. Don't pick a god/gnosis just because it interests you. Also, don't expect a mod to give you a gnosis because you want it. Your character has to embody that god in some way in order to even gain the deity's attention. I'm working hard now to make Edreina the character that I think Priskil would want to mark in a few seasons. Don't expect a Dira mark because you like to kill or a Rhysol mark because you killed your brother. There has to be more to is.

My final rant segment is over points/lores given in grading. I can approach this from both angles: character and staff. Seeing someone get 5 points for a lackadaisical thread just because they mentioned the skill a bunch is disappointing. Points should not be awarded just because they mentioned a skill. When I was grading, I often received PMs asking about why some skills did not receive more than one point despite being mentioned in most of the thread. Growth in a skill should be given for showing understanding and improvement upon a certain topic. I want to see characters stumble and struggle at a Novice level and utterly dominate at Master level instead of writing in the same way the entire time.

Anywho! I think I'm done! Anything to add? Any opinions? I would love to hear them! :D

(c) Wanda Endust
Edreina
Unbound

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Edreina on February 14th, 2014, 6:49 am

When my friends are going through a hard time, I honestly feel useless.

I want to just hug them and let them cry or talk it out as much as they need... but not everyone wants that. Some prefer to suffer in solitude, and I don't understand it.

Not understanding things drives me crazy.

I just hope that they know I'm here and that I'll do my best... that's all anyone can do, right?

Edreina
Unbound

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Edreina on February 19th, 2014, 10:55 pm

Anyone as obsessed with Frozen as I am?

This is how I feel trying to sing any of the songs, though...

Edreina
Unbound

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Nyxie Nadira Draer on February 20th, 2014, 3:19 am

:D YES! So obsessed. And that was quite entertaining---she was on Ellen a while back, if I remember correctly---awesome talent~

My younger sister and I always use the "Do You Wanna Build a Snowman?" song to spite each other :P Especially when one of us wants a favour. 'We used to be best buddies. And now we're not. I wish you would tell me whyyyyyyy~?'
Nyxie Nadira Draer
slaver & swindler

Words: 111204
Joined roleplay: December 14th, 2013, 3:05 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Contributor (1) Artist (1)

Postby Edreina on February 20th, 2014, 4:23 am

My friend Bella and I will run up to one another singing "In Summer" just to get it stuck in the other's head all over again. XD
Edreina
Unbound

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Kaie on February 20th, 2014, 4:25 am

You know everyone's been raving about how amazing Frozen was, and I should be able to recite the "Do You Want to Build a Snowman" song in my sleep at this point. I think you just convinced me to see it after all...!

Kaie
Player

Words: 1635197
Joined roleplay: May 9th, 2013, 3:13 am
Race: Myrian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) Riverfall Seasonal Challenge (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Edreina on February 21st, 2014, 1:28 am

A girl at my school's first album is on itunes! :D

Check it out!
Edreina
Unbound

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Edreina on April 1st, 2014, 4:59 am

How I Met Your Mother Series Finale...

Walking Dead Season Finale...

GO!

Edreina
Unbound

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

PreviousNext