Voodoo is August's Featured Contributor!

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

IC News travels slowly in Mizahar. Fortunately there is a constant stream of news from around campfires, from caravan to caravan and from merchants to merchants. Within this forum lies the best of the best of this talk. Also, within this forum, OOC news from the staff and players can be found. This forum requires all posts to be 'approved' by a Founder before they are displayed. So if you post within, be patient. Your post did display - it simply will not show to everyone until approved as actual 'news'. Please keep all Introductions, Status Updates, and various other discussions in their appropriate forums and leave this area for game news!

Postby Mirage on August 1st, 2014, 5:41 am

Attention Mizahar!

Keeping with tradition the Founders and Regional Storytellers have come together and chosen a hard working individual as Augusts 2014's Featured Contributor! Voodoo is a hard working AS based in Taloba, giving the Myrians lots of plots and the Dhani plenty to fear. Here is what she had to say in her interview!

1. Let's start with an easy one. Why did you become an ST, and why did you choose Taloba?

I wanted to become an ST because it looked like so much fun. Originally I had my heart set on Mura, as I have a medicine background in real life. However, with all the recent retirements and the general call for staff I decided to go to a somewhat populated area that needed me. I had a PC in Taloba which meant that I was more knowledgeable in the Myrian/Falyndar/Taloban lore and would actually be of help as soon as I started. I am incredibly happy with my decision to become one of the Jungle Queens and would make the same choice again.

2. It take's a lot of time and commitment to be an ST and do all that you have to do. Tell us a bit how you keep it all straight and balanced between your Mizahar life and real life?

Currently it is easy to balance because all I do is work full-time as a pharmacy assistant. I then come home and proceed to relax in front of Skyrim or Mizahar. I cannot say that I am not concerned what will happen with this balance when school starts up again. I am a veterinary student who works part time and has to study for more hours than a week has. Not that I actually do that. To me, Mizahar is what I need as a reward. If I have posts, I tell myself that I have to complete all my assignments before I can write. Does that happen all the time? As if, but heck, at least I try.

3. I have a character who plays within the Falyndar region, and so I have first hand gotten to see a lot of your development for the region and your city. Where do you find your inspiration for some of your development?

This is a tough question. The biggest project I have worked on so far is the Taloban Army. I decided to run with that because a PC in my domain wanted more to do in the army. Thus, I ran with it, and as soon as I started, I couldn’t stop. With this project, I was born and raised a military child. My dad and mom have both served, allowing for complete emersion in the society. I understand rank, fighting, sacrifice, etc. It was incredibly easy for me to come up with the Taloban Army concept based on all that. And let me tell you, the Bahadur make me smile. I want a big cat I could ride. My life would be complete.

4. Falyndar, and Taloba, are both heavily involved with the wilderness and nature. So are you the outdoors type, hunting, camping, hiking and the like? If so, has any of your experiences helped you in anyway when working in this region, or vice verse if you are not heavily into the outdoors has there been a learning curve in a way?

When I was younger, I always went camping with the Boy Scouts. I am a girl and my brother hated that I would always go with him. I have a fascination with ants too, which is kind of weird. I would watch them when I was younger. Now that I’m older and slightly more pampered, I don’t really like the outdoors. Especially bugs. My orientation for Vet School really cramped that style because there were so many large ants crawling around. One ended up down my shirt while I was sleeping which I did not appreciate. Otherwise, I’m pale so I don’t make great friends with the sun, and all around not very physically fit.

It’s rather complicated as I think about it, but I have a well-rounded love of nature I guess. When it comes to the jungle, all I know about it is what I see on the TV. Syfy movies like Congo, Predators, etc. give me lots of my ideas. Animals mauling people, people eating people, etc. What cannot be imagined in the jungle full of Myrians?

5. So of the things you have done, what do you think will be your most lasting and/or greatest achievement on site? Is there anything you are especially proud of?

I am sure I will have many projects that will have a lasting effect. Or at least, I hope so. Right now, the Taloban Army has been my crowning achievement. Getting it all organized and fleshed out was so much fun. Getting it into the Wiki was harder, and when I figured that out, I was incredibly proud of myself. But what I am most proud of is the interest that so many PCs and people showed. We had an increase in activity and that was rewarding in itself, far more than my triumph over the coding.

6. It's not all pretty flowers and rainbow farting unicorns on Mizahar. As a Mod I am sure you have experienced troubling players, frustrating situations, and days that simply did not go your way. Why not talk to us about a time in your Miza career where you have just about beat your head with your keyboard asking "WHY!?" and how did you handle/resolve this issue?

My experience with troubling players is rather limited since I have not been around Mizahar very long. The most frustration I get is from new players coming into chat to ask question when they haven’t even read the lore. I’m sure I did this. Actually, I did this. I asked stupid questions because I wanted to make sure I did not interpret the lore incorrectly. Yet, I learned. There are some new people in chat who just won’t learn, and that drives me absolutely insane.

Ultimately, my patience is a short fuse. I have a longer fuse on days that I didn’t work and deal with stupid people all day, but on days where I have had to do a majority of the work for people who can’t help themselves, I can’t help but fade into the shadows. It’s one of those ‘If you have nothing nice to say, don’t say it at all’ philosophies. I either do this to cope with my anger, take piping hot showers, or drink until I start giggling uncontrollably. Not necessarily the best ways of coping with my frustration, but they work.

Also laughing. I enjoy laughing.

7. Once more a follow up, tell us a bit about some of your best experiences as a moderator, and some of the worst. What keeps you going during those tough times? Is there anything in particular about Mizahar you are especially fond of?

I am very fortunate to say that I have no experienced a tough time during my ST-ship. All of my players have been kind and supportive, offering ideas to help me fuel my drive to develop. If there was one tough thing I would say that I had to endure, it would be the moderated threads I have done that got abandoned by players. I simply stack on another moderated thread and continue moving, as there will always be someone that needs my help as an ST.

My best experiences have to be my time here at Mizahar in general, as an ST and as a player. I have had three PCs (two which have regrettably gone to the wayside because I became an ST) that encountered so many great players. Everyone here is kind, intelligent, and quirky in their own way. They provide new ideas and new plots that just make everything interesting. It makes me smile when I have had a rough day, feel for my PCs when they are not quite where they want to be, etc. My PCs are people of their own, and it is these experiences that I cherish. They would not be there own ‘people’ without other players. I feed of creativity, and that is what makes me a better writer.

I’m sure I am about to sound like a broken record, but my favorite thing about Mizahar is the lore. When I first stumbled upon this forum, I was so enthralled with the structure. No one could just create a race and suddenly be a god. There were ranks in skills, cities, maps, travel times…and it was all based around writing. The only other forum roleplay I have done was based around a very simple online game. People often couldn’t differentiate between the writing and the game. I was a huge writer enthusiast, and the game set me back. In Mizahar, I’m only as good as my writing. Aside from that, players and STs are capable of developing the lore. It doesn’t just belong to the founders it belongs to everyone. That is something I can appreciate.

8. Our times as moderators vary depending on a lot of things. During your time what would you like to accomplish? What are your goals for the future, and what would you like to be known for?

This may sound ambitious, but I want to be known for bringing life back to Taloba. Traverse does a fantastic job, and I consider her the life and breath of all of Falyndar. I just hope I can live up to the big shoes she left behind. I have plenty of ideas to start with, including clan develop of all current Myrian Clans (hopefully to cause some interclan strife between PCs), a map of Taloba, more NPCs for the army, more quests, and awesome calendars. I plan on sticking around, so everyone can get to know my graveside manner.

9. Everyone knows about the blood feud between Myrians and Dhani. Does being the AS of Taloba in any way make you dislike or favor one race over the other OOC? Since you have a Myrian character is it ever difficult to write from the Dhani perspective in, say, modded threads or when doing development in Zinrah?

I think I was told that I had to many ‘s’ in my roleplay of Dhani. I tend to think that I am very good at separating IC from OOC. Not that anyone can truly say they are not thining of what their other character might do in this situation, but I have been asked to do a Dhani once in a while. Of course, I haven’t been asked to do them in a ‘nice’ fashion. So, being the ST of Taloba, it is easy for me to play a vulgar and cruel Dhani. That’s just how I imagine them to be anyways, but I think they have so much potential to be amazing PCs.

10. Now the most important question of all... Cookie Cake or Ice cream cake?

Of these choices, cookie cake. Ice cream cake is good, but a Cookie Cake from Mrs. Fields. With icing. Lots and lots of icing. I love icing, and like to think myself a connoisseur of icing. That is a legit thing. I will take my parents carrot cake and scrape off the icing because I don’t like carrot cake. But Costco makes good icing. Mmmmm.

11. Now as always, here is your chance to shine, to take the stage and tell Mizahar what is on your mind. Stand on your soap box Voodoo. We are all eager to hear what you have to say!

Just for the record, doing this interview was difficult. I have read all of the interviews in the past and I thought to myself: “Mine is not long enough.”

Well, that’s because I have been here such a short time. The end of this season will mark the second season since I joined Mizahar. I would like to start by thank everyone who has made it a welcoming place. After my first roleplay forum, I never thought I would find another good writing haven again. When I stumbled upon Mizahar, I was floored by the detail that the Founders and Storytellers have put into the lore; however, it is not just the staff that makes this place. The players make it even better. When I was working on the Taloban Army write-up, I was constantly bouncing ideas of chat, asking for feedback on how to make it better. Since you are listening/reading this, here is a shout out to some of those that helped me. If I forgot you, beat me in chat. I really didn’t mean it. Also, there is no particular order as I love you all equally.

Ashar, Roscoe, Vice/Ty, Kol/Mari, Pandaemus, Evalin, Gossamer, Alexander, Balian, Kel, Aoren, Xen, Trickster, Ragdoll, Nightmare, Archailist/Kwantu, and the rest of the Collective Chat Mind…thank you for all your help. From pictures to skill sets, I really did appreciate it.

Traverse gets a very special thank you, bouquet of flowers, and all the chocolates she could ever want, plus her very own whacking stick for all those Mizaharan delinquents, for taking me under her wing. She has been an astounding RS and is only full of encouragement.

Can you tell I am really not good at fluffing myself up? That’s because my work as an AS is not just mine, it belongs to everyone. I can’t do it on my own. My ideas stop at some point. I need them jarred back to life to get anywhere. Also, if people didn’t want to use my ideas or didn’t care, I would end up a shadow of my current self. I don’t want to quit providing for my jungle players. I’m here to stay as long as you will have me.

All hail Myri! Long live Taloba
Mirage
Truth is never certain

Words: 1231300
Joined roleplay: January 5th, 2012, 8:47 am
Race: Staff account
Office
Medals: 4
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)

Postby Gossamer on August 1st, 2014, 4:34 pm

Grats Voodoo.
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6356204
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Ink on August 1st, 2014, 4:42 pm

Congrats Voodoo!

As someone with a PC In Falyndar I just wanna say thank you for all your hard work!
Ink
DS in Sahova

Words: 259510
Joined roleplay: December 3rd, 2011, 6:15 pm
Office
Medals: 1
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Marionette on August 1st, 2014, 4:52 pm

I'm so happy for you, Voodoo!

You deserve this! With all the hard work you've put into Taloba, I thank you, in character and out!
Marionette
Retired Staff

Words: 35074
Joined roleplay: July 17th, 2014, 5:02 am
Office

Postby Alaia on August 1st, 2014, 5:00 pm

Congrats Voodoo! *gives every cookie she has* Wicked excited for you!
Alaia
My soul whispers to you in the silence.

Words: 181488
Joined roleplay: May 27th, 2014, 7:27 pm
Blog: View Blog (1)
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Featured Character (1)

Postby Adelaide Sitai on August 1st, 2014, 5:09 pm

Congratulations Voodoo!
Adelaide Sitai
It is easier to look the other way...

Words: 331327
Joined roleplay: September 16th, 2013, 4:10 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Overlored (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Asha on August 1st, 2014, 5:52 pm

Congrats! Great interview Voodoo!
Asha
Who is really the beast?

Words: 172478
Joined roleplay: March 30th, 2012, 9:16 pm
Race: Jamoura
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Featured Thread (1)

Postby Caelum on August 1st, 2014, 5:56 pm

*applauds wildly*
Caelum
The best way out is through.

Words: 1093768
Joined roleplay: March 18th, 2010, 10:27 pm
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Featured Thread (1) Guest Storyteller (1)
Lore Author (1) Peer Reviewer (1)
Trailblazer (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Estrellir Konrath on August 1st, 2014, 7:19 pm

Congrats! The interview might be short, but it was an incredibly interesting read!

Also, I had a look at the Taloban Army when it went up in the Wiki and really liked the concept. Makes me want to play a Myrian. But I don't really have enough words in me for all the PC ideas...
Estrellir Konrath
She Who Finds What Was Lost

Words: 338742
Joined roleplay: September 13th, 2013, 8:24 pm
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 6
Artist (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Nemesis on August 1st, 2014, 10:41 pm

A very well done, Voodoo! I have no PCs over that side of the world, but I know it's well deserved!
Nemesis
Fortune and Retribution

Words: 296717
Joined roleplay: March 30th, 2014, 8:36 pm
Office
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Contributor (1) Donor (1)

Next