Reimancy Question

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Moderators: Liaisons, Assistant Storytellers, Regional Storytellers, Domain Storytellers

Reimancy Question

Postby Nivel on November 11th, 2015, 10:14 pm

I was grading a thread and it brought up a few questions about Reimancy.
I know that once res has been transformed into it's element that it can't be turned back but can you absorb unused res back into your body?

I also would like to know if Reimancy is tied to emotions and if so if your in a near death experience can you unleash magic instinctively. I'm going to go with no on the last one but I'd still like to hear other peoples input.
Nivel
The Pint-Sized Mage

Words: 461307
Joined roleplay: March 24th, 2014, 7:06 pm
Race: Pycon
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Donor (1)

Reimancy Question

Postby Tribal on November 11th, 2015, 10:50 pm

I don't think you can reabsorb unused Res and as for "instinctively" create it, no, but in a near death experience it wouldn't be strange for someone who practices reimancy to turn to that as a last resort?

Sorry I can't offer much more.
Tribal
Lost in the Tall Grass

Words: 242363
Joined roleplay: June 28th, 2015, 11:43 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Plotnotes

Reimancy Question

Postby Evalin on November 12th, 2015, 4:16 am

To add to what Tribal said, I have actually seen quite a few reimancers reabsorb leftover res (after you factor in the rapid decay of res after its creation of course) but I do not remember any founders including Tarot saying whether or not that was a legitimate thing. Its been done ICly, but multiple people, thats about all I can say on that and personally I do not typically do this as it feels a little wrong to me. Keep in mind its pretty rare there is any res left over to reabsorb anyway, given how quickly it decays and how much is used in actual spell casting.

Reimancy I do believe can be tied to emotions, depending on how the individual personally experience the magic themselves. Evalin for example is a very emotional character and uses those emotions to understand her own reimancy, and it has been a driving factor in her growth as a character. As far as self initiating with extreme emotions or trauma, that is a definite no. Reimancy has a specific initiation process that is etched in stone, and you have to be aware and accepting of it to really work right because there is a decent chance the initiation will kill you.

Again just echoing Tribal on most points I hope this helps :)
ImageImageImage

Wretched Aura: As a Wretched One Evalin possesses an unnatural aura about her that causes unease in those who get too close. It can come as a prickle of the hair on the back of the neck, a sense of 'wrongness' about her. How people experience it is different depending on their personality and how they handle the unnatural and unknown. Animals tend to become more agitated, more easily sensing how wrong Evalin is and often avoiding contact with her.
Evalin
The Immortal Witch

Words: 1033971
Joined roleplay: March 20th, 2012, 4:05 am
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Trailblazer (1) Overlored (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Zinrah Seasonal Challenge (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Reimancy Question

Postby Nivel on November 12th, 2015, 4:21 am

Thanks, both of your answers were very helpful :)
Nivel
The Pint-Sized Mage

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Donor (1)

Reimancy Question

Postby Ball on November 12th, 2015, 2:42 pm

Actually I do want to make a mention here.

The reason why Reimancy's initation is so dangerous is because of the fact that the teacher pushes a bunch of gaseous Res into the student, this could be transmuted into any sort of elements and that wouldn't be pretty.

However, this is mentioned, straight from the Reimancy Lore:

After several minutes of this, the teacher will retract his Res, and if initiation was performed correctly, the student will now be able to study Reimancy. Slowly, they will learn how to concentrate and emit the precious fluid for casting.

I bolded the part that I wanted to emphasis. So yes, Res can be retracted. BUT it must be Res, not the elements they become:

Res that has been transformed into an element can never revert back to its former state.

So once it has been turned to the element is cannot be returned to Res and thus retracted. If it is Res, it can be returned.

Much like Eva said though, Res decays rapidly and one cannot bring in as much as they exuded.

Just thought I would give a bit from a non-user point of view, but also the Lore itself.

I was made aware that the part I had quoted above was about pulling the res out of the student, not actually back into the caster. I apparently was reading the lore in the wrong fashion (Not sure if it was just my brain or if it was because I was readig it after I read through this thread and thought 'I thought I saw something about retract res...' I did, but not in the correct context.

My apologies.
Avatar CreditsMy lovely Avatar was drawn and created by the most awesome Nivel

Graders Please Note :
As Ball is getting closer and closer to maxing out Pyken as a skill, I would like to request that in places where Ball is not doing enough to constitute Pyken XP if Pyken technique lores could be issued instead.

Examples of proper XP level for Pyken would be: Ball developing or refining his technique by adding new thing against an actual moving target, not a dummy.

The use of basic skills alone are not enough to accomplish XP at Ball's current level of Pyken.

Thank you.

I will be handling all Ball related posts on Mondays @ 1800 my time *
Ball
Ser Ball -- Pycon Knight of Syliras

Words: 460478
Joined roleplay: January 31st, 2012, 4:52 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Contributor (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1)

Reimancy Question

Postby Nivel on November 12th, 2015, 6:14 pm

That one line may have been what's causing the confusion, I understood it but I can see why some one might interpret it to mean that especially since it doesn't say any where that you can't (as far as I know.)
Nivel
The Pint-Sized Mage

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Donor (1)

Reimancy Question

Postby Clyde Sullins on November 13th, 2015, 4:00 pm

Tarot specifically states here that res can be reabsorbed by the user if not used(transmuted).

In response to this question- "Can Res (the non-transmuted stuff Reimancers emit) be reabsorbed into the body after it's been summoned, so long as it hasn't been transformed into an element?"

Tarot answered-

The answer is yes, but not with 100% efficiency. You may have noticed our magic is designed after certain pseudo-scientific concepts. In this case, it's a bit like the second law of thermodynamics: a part of the Res will be dissipated in the reconversion. The more skilled you are, the less you lose, but the process is not entirely reversible.

So this means that yes you can reabsorb unused res, but the efficiency both in exuding it and reabsorbing it will depend upon ones skill in Reimancy. A master Reimancer has almost perfect transfer in this regard, and is in part why they can produce so much res compared to lesser users, but even they aren't completely perfect and would lose a bit in exuding and reabsorbing.

But still, gaining back that small bit of res you'd have spent and lost, even if only a bit, is better than nothing.
Clydes Stuff

I am actually in RL a super intelligent hamster from Rhode Island, with a 7 year plan to take over the world.

Update 6/2/18- 1:10AM EST: His 7 year plan a success, and several weeks ahead of schedule, Clyde leaves to oversee the world he has taken over.

No new threads after end of Spring 518-Will still be checking for PM's occasionally, but focusing on a new character.

Graders note: :
Please be aware Clyde is a master Magecrafter. He therefore should not be gaining full xp(or possibly shouldn't gain any at all) for simple tasks related to this magic, such as low level MC items, particularly for repetitions of creations he has done before. Feel free to contact me if unsure of a instance of his magic use compared to his skill level.
Clyde Sullins
Player

Words: 2343955
Joined roleplay: June 18th, 2011, 1:14 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Reimancy Question

Postby Nivel on November 13th, 2015, 5:32 pm

oh okay well that's all I need to know :)
Nivel
The Pint-Sized Mage

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Donor (1)