Syliran Knights, Knighting Quests, And Volunteerism

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Feel free to post all your Mizahar related discussions here.

Postby Gossamer on July 24th, 2016, 6:29 pm

So recently I've received a rash of PMs about the Knights and their Quests. I've also received a rash of requests to join the knighthood, but I'm going to shelve that and leave that to the Sylira ST's for now.

Here's what I was thinking. I want to pose the idea to you folks and see what you think and then see if we have any volunteers for the group. I'd like to turn the development and execution of Knighting Quests over to a team of players that are creative and like to develop quests, but are too busy for full time staffing positions like becoming Storytellers. Lets call this group the Syliran Team for right now.

Basically this would be a volunteer group with their own little forum that a Syliran Knight player could approach to receive his or her Knighting Quest from. I'd like to turn these Knighting Quests over into something characters can have GST'd or even Solo'd depending upon the individual. The Syliran Team would have to go in order, develop quests as the requests came in, and then follow the quests to make sure everything was going smoothly and no one got threads dropped or abandoned. After the quest was completed, this team would be responsible for GRADING the threads and then someone from the Team could then HD ticket to have the quest approved and SS threads added to reflecting full knighthood acquired status.

Sylrian Team members would get a medal reflecting this. They would have to be experienced players. And they would have to be active graders.

This would stop the stagnation of Knighting Quests and get the gears in Syliras moving in regards to the Knighthood. Later, if this worked out, we could have them handle who joins the knighthood as well.

Also, if players wanted to be Syliran Knights in other domains (such as a spy in Ravok or stationed in Riverfall) they could do so because the Syliran Team could handle some of their requests as we expand their duties.

What do you think of this as a player? Yes, that would mean GSTs and PCs could handle the appearance of Glav Navik (aka the new Sylir) at the end of their threads for their Knighting marks just like they do in the HD for Gnosis Stories.

Are there any readily eager volunteers? There's no point in implementing this if no one wants to volunteer to be on the team. Obviously its not a huge time commitment, but its something that would help the Knighthood tremendously. And if we got the Ebonstryfe off the ground to the extent the Syliran Knights are, we could do a similar team for them.

Thoughts? Can you volunteer?
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6357243
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Dexius on July 24th, 2016, 6:33 pm

I've heard of quite a few players wanting to take their knighting quest to other parts of the world or to simply be stationed elsewhere. I think this is a good idea if only to help clean up the syliras grading clutter. Get people out to other domains and explore the world more.

If knew anything about the knighthood I would be happy to volunteer.
"Strength is born of those with a burdened soul"
"Weakness is born of those with a perfect smile"
This is Thought
This is Common
This is Symenos
Dexius
Embracing the fear, chasing the fight

Words: 115381
Joined roleplay: July 2nd, 2011, 2:21 am
Race: Symenestra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Ball on July 24th, 2016, 6:43 pm

As one of those people looking for their quest to be completed, one of thsoe knights, etc etc.

I do want to put down some input on this. Granted I do love the idea as a player, a grader, and a mod. I do have a few things I want to address though that makes me uneasy about this idea.

It is the idea of commitment and following through. As Ball I have been waiting YEARS for my quest to happen, it happened and the posting was slow to start and slow throughout, still not completed. Actually the DS just recently retired sadness there. =( However! I feel that this needs to be something that the Council would need to realize.

If they are taking on this commitment to a player as a quest you have to remain committed to completing it. Not saying don't do other posts for your characters and such, but keep in mind that you are committing to at least a 10 post thread with dire consequences for the quester. This isn't just a standard GST thread.

Other than that, I love the idea though. As a player I hope that who ever joins this reaches out to me so I can get my quest completed =D
Avatar CreditsMy lovely Avatar was drawn and created by the most awesome Nivel

Graders Please Note :
As Ball is getting closer and closer to maxing out Pyken as a skill, I would like to request that in places where Ball is not doing enough to constitute Pyken XP if Pyken technique lores could be issued instead.

Examples of proper XP level for Pyken would be: Ball developing or refining his technique by adding new thing against an actual moving target, not a dummy.

The use of basic skills alone are not enough to accomplish XP at Ball's current level of Pyken.

Thank you.

I will be handling all Ball related posts on Mondays @ 1800 my time *
Ball
Ser Ball -- Pycon Knight of Syliras

Words: 460478
Joined roleplay: January 31st, 2012, 4:52 pm
Race: Pycon
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Contributor (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Ferrin Al'Mandrikan on July 24th, 2016, 6:45 pm

I'm willing to volunteer! Of course I work now for four-five days a week for my new part time. But, I'll be happy to volunteer! I've just dropped a reminder for others that I'm still doing gst threads through my Scrap. So, I'll be up for it definitely! :)

Just let me know!

~Ferrin

"With a heart of steel, I raise my blade in combat. The only thoughts I have in my mind is whether I'd return home to my family. I am a soldier, and will fight for love and peace. That is the way of being a Syliran Knight"-Ferrin.

Sig :
Dimensions Changed to: 300x150 pixels.

Credits to Prophet for making this amazing Sig. He does a great job!
I'm Open To Guest Storytelling Let Me Know, and I'll See What I Can Do!
|| Syliras Lore * Syliras * Plotnotes * My Scrap *Ferrins CS ||
Ferrin Al'Mandrikan
Loving Family Man - Protective Squire

Words: 705389
Joined roleplay: July 16th, 2015, 1:02 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Artist (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Shimoje on July 24th, 2016, 6:49 pm

Being stationed in another region wouldn't really be all that possible sadly. I support the idea, only if select people stand up for it though and commit as Ball said. As of now though you don't see many people utilizing GSTs.
Shortly after departure of the Tipsy Wench, a deeply held secret started to show itself as Shimoje's mental stability started to become more clear. His hand will bear the mark of Lykata and glow with a symbol of Lormar.

test

Imagetest test testtest testtestesteste testtettttttt Image

test
Shimoje
Scientist

Words: 301120
Joined roleplay: March 26th, 2016, 11:25 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Gossamer on July 24th, 2016, 6:55 pm

You would have to be a GRADER to join the Syliran Team. I want to make sure that's clear even though I stated that in my initial post.
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Ferrin Al'Mandrikan on July 24th, 2016, 7:14 pm

Alrighty, once I also become a grader, I'll be able to join the team then! Thanks Goss! Hopefully soon. :)

"With a heart of steel, I raise my blade in combat. The only thoughts I have in my mind is whether I'd return home to my family. I am a soldier, and will fight for love and peace. That is the way of being a Syliran Knight"-Ferrin.

Sig :
Dimensions Changed to: 300x150 pixels.

Credits to Prophet for making this amazing Sig. He does a great job!
I'm Open To Guest Storytelling Let Me Know, and I'll See What I Can Do!
|| Syliras Lore * Syliras * Plotnotes * My Scrap *Ferrins CS ||
Ferrin Al'Mandrikan
Loving Family Man - Protective Squire

Words: 705389
Joined roleplay: July 16th, 2015, 1:02 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Artist (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Sayana on July 24th, 2016, 7:34 pm

I would volunteer for this.

Particularly in the case of Ball's quest, I've watched it go through its times of activity and inactivity, and have seen that it can be rather challenging to play a PC who is neither knight nor squire since the thread hasn't been completed. I was also rather fond of the three pycons. Not to imply favoritism, but that I have a good sense of their characters and plotlines.

I'm not sure who else is PMing you about knighthood quests, but I wouldn't be surprised if Garland, Alexander Faircroft, and maybe even Ferrin are getting close - just based off their post numbers. I know Garland's plots well, but not as much for Alex or Ferrin.

I'd have to read up on lore, particularly on Glav and the Windoak. I'd also have to flip back into a more 'heroic' writing style rather than a neutral/villainous one. But to see long outstanding quests like Ball's get completed, I would very much be willing to facilitate this and write something grand. :)

Would this also apply to PCs who start off as knights and want to do a flashback to their knighting quest?

I'm not particularly interested in being asked to GST quests for lots of new PC knights who haven't put in much work on their character and who may questionable activity in regards to roleplaying long term on Miz.

Also, how would the approval process work? Would it be similar to running a GST thread? Would approvals (for the outline) be needed from both the Syliras ST and the HD?

Edit: I've only ever run one GST thread, but I quite enjoyed it. I'm also a grader and would be more than happy to grade the quest thread once it is complete (it also just makes the most sense for the GST to then grade it).
Sayana
Dancing in the rain...

Words: 1543550
Joined roleplay: September 22nd, 2014, 12:38 am
Race: Eypharian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Peer Reviewer (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Syliras Seasonal Challenge (1) Alvadas Seasonal Challenge (1)

Postby Dove Brown on July 24th, 2016, 7:44 pm

Maybe. Let me think about it and get back to you.
Very busy at work. May not be around much for a while.
Threads: 3/3

Dove Brown
Keeping my head, my backbone, and my heart

Words: 181194
Joined roleplay: July 30th, 2015, 9:36 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
Featured Character (1) Mizahar Mentor (1)
Mizahar Grader (1) Overlored (1)

Postby Gossamer on July 24th, 2016, 8:24 pm

I'd like to have four or five definite yes I will type volunteers to get this off the ground. I think we can make this work. I also need to update the Sylir page to reflect Glav's new position and personality. The God of Peace and Civilization is a really approachable laid back guy hanging in Syliras currently. He's just not the original one that's so famous. And the Wind Oak is still a factor.

Also, it looks like we are going to have Ravok up and running so that means we'll have some enemies to deal with.

Sayana, Prophet, and perhaps Ball have agreed. If two more can jump on board I'd say get this off the ground fast. Its not going to require a lot of commitment, just the ability to plot for another player and help them see it through.

Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Next