PM to join New Connections Amidst Chaos (Bron)

Kelski looses Darvin in the riots and meets someone new.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A lawless town of anarchists, built on the ruins of an ancient mining city. [Lore]

Moderator: Morose

New Connections Amidst Chaos (Bron)

Postby Kelski on February 19th, 2018, 2:39 am

Timestamp: 50th of Winter, 517 AV

Darvin was drunker than normal. He'd started out sober, but they'd made a lot of stops along the way. Kelski didn't like him much when he was sober because he had the personality of a rabid nasty dog, but when he was falling down drunk it was embarrassing. They'd been walking.... quietly walking... doing errands both for Darvin's side businesses and for Kelski because she'd hoped to drop by Dagwood Metals and Darvin had promised to take her if she'd agreed to carry his packages.

He hadn't told her what the 'packages' were.

The aging Guardian had been slowly working on her strength and stamina, but the training hadn't come in the form of weight lifting or sprints etc. It had come in the form of chores. Scrub that, lift that, carry that... fetch and packhorse were his favorite games. Kelski was loaded down. The little jeweler carried two kegs, both heavy, something Darvin had traded bur-lapped wrapped packages for.

Kelski panted, sweat dampening her body, as she had trailed after the far larger stronger man. They'd just left about the third place he'd gotten a strong series of drinks from, when he'd cut down a short alley and into what looked like a crowd. Darvin was curious what everyone was talking about, and slapped a pretty tall blond woman on the ass, then cupped her rump, to give it a better feel, before he pushed her out of the way. "Out of the way, Pretty Ass..." He said with a loud guffaw until they were past the startled woman, Kelski's expression apologetic.

People were talking loudly, and a body of a young girl was sprawled in the center of the street, blood leaking out from under her, slowly painting the cobbles and mud crimson. Darvin had stopped, got a good look at the body, and had frozen. A woman had been in the crowd, screaming, and pointing at the girl all but hysterical. Kelski wasn't sure what was going on, but the girl's throat was cut and the crowd was mingling in anger.

"Mage!" The chant had started up and the woman had shrieked a denial, still trying to get at the corpse. Someone, Kelski didn't see rightly who, dumped a tankard of something on the body and someone else had tossed some sort of rolled up cigarello they'd been smoking, igniting it immediately. It was a horrible sight, and the Kelvic had tried to scramble back, to get away from the crowd that was also backing up and still chanting.

Darvin had just stood there, staring, until the woman spotted him, screamed his name, and pointed at the body. "Darvin! They killed her!" She shrieked. Kelski blinked. Her Guardian knew the dead girl? Darvin glanced at the body again, his drunken expression had gone nasty and he was one of the first to throw a punch. He'd tried to push through to get to the clearing in the crowd where the body was, but no one was moving. So Darvin started moving them with his fists. Someone else fought back, and suddenly the crowd exploded.

Someone shoved Kelski, and someone else snatched one of her heavy kegs from her arms. She whirled, calling out... "Hey!" But stopped short when she saw how well armed the man was that had snapped up her keg. She glanced around for Darvin but he was ten people deep in the crowd fighting. The surging bodies easily separated them, as Kelski found herself alone in a sea of fighting people. The man's gaze was downright nasty and he sneered at her through a curtain of greasy hair.

"Little girl lost something? Like her guard?" He snarled, starting towards her.

A keg wasn't worth her life. Missing one keg, Kelski turned and ran, trying to shoulder her way through the crowd that was already exchanging blows in her immediate area. She ducked a punch, then used the keg she carried to knock someone else out of her way. It was an all out brawl by now, and Kelski had no idea where she was in Sunberth let alone where to run too.

The Kelvic decided she'd just get away from the people as a first priority and then, and only then, try to figure out how to get back to The Barracks. Her flight took her headlong into someone else... it was the same woman that Darvin had fondled just moments ago. Kelski started to apologize and back off, but the Keg slipped from her hands then, falling to the street where the band around its center pinged open and the boards - now loose - sprung, wrecking the keg. Mead flowed everywhere... and Kelski cried out involuntarily.

"He's going to kill me...." She said, glancing around frantically. The crowd was angry, milling, and several more people were fighting... but Darvin was nowhere in sight.
Last edited by Kelski on February 25th, 2018, 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
They laugh at me because I am different.
I laugh at them because they are all the same.

Painted Sky Jewelry (The Wildlands) | Crossroads Jewelry (The Outpost)
Kelski
Freedom is earned. Fight for it.

Words: 2015452
Joined roleplay: July 3rd, 2014, 11:08 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (2)
Mizahar Grader (1) Trailblazer (1)
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Sunberth Seasonal Challenge (1) Power Fork (1)

New Connections Admist Chaos (Bron)

Postby Bronwen on February 19th, 2018, 10:43 pm

"When was the last time you've gone swimming, Bron?" Matrim Druva asked his daughter, as they made their way through the city. "Never.." Bron replied, giving her Father a sideways glance. "I don't know how to swim." she added. Matrim smiled, regarding his daughter. "Exactly!"

Bronwen and Matrim had been in Sunberth for nearly half a season, and though his daughter's mood had greatly improved, Ser Mat knew his daughter still had much to learn about their new surroundings. Always the soldier, Matrim was ever eager to continue teaching his naive daughter the ways of the world and no better place was there to learn about the worst of the world than Sunberth. Today, however, it was swimming, and Bron was nervous.

"I've never even so much as dipped a toe in water, save taking a bath, and you want me to go into a river?" Matrim gave Bron a wry smile "Go in, or be thrown in, I'm going to teach you to swim." Bron sighed audibly, knowing the man meant what he said. Matrim Druva always meant what he said. "But what am I..what's wrong?" Bron's words trailed off seeing that her Father's expression had suddenly changed, his long strides coming to a sudden halt. Following her fathers line of sight, the girl quickly saw what concerned the warrior.

A group of people stood over a female's motionless form, as countless others shoved and shouted in a full on brawl. "It looks like a riot of some sort." Mat stated. "why?" Bron asked, dazed at the sight. "I don't know." Mat answered absently, eyes locked on the mass. Pulling Bron's staff from her back, his tone was suddenly stern. "Stay here and don't move, this looks serious." Shoving the quarterstaff in his daughters hands, Mat disappeared into the mass, sword coming free. She got the message, and for once, didn't argue.

Bronwen had not been standing alone a mere chime, before feeling an unwanted hand grab her ass. This wasn't something unusual in this petching city, she had come to learn, but the shove the hand gave her a moment later pissed her off. Tightening the grip on her staff, Bron whirled, but the look on the strikingly beautiful woman's face by the brutes side, stayed her hand. The woman was mesmerizing and the girl found her attention following the beauty and not the man.

She watched as the two stopped near the prone woman, her eyes never leaving the brunette, even as one of burden's was relieved from her. A chime or two later, the crowd finally erupted into chaos, and Bron's line of sight was broke, as several fighting individuals came running in her direction. Bron sidestepped the advancing men, managing to trip one with her staff, and give another a good shove, before stepping clear. Turning back toward the crowd, another figure slammed into her, nearly sending her to the mud. Regaining herself, Bron looked down, and her eyes widened.

It was her!

The brunette that had caught her attention stood before her, hands now empty, as mead flowed across the ground between their feet. Bron stammered at her response, before finally finding words. "No one is going to kill anyone." she said, her tone much more confident than she felt. Just then Bron caught sight of the man that had taken the woman's keg, stepping free of the crowd, obviously looking for a place to stash his loot. Licking her lips, she made a decision. "What's your name?" she asked, tugging on the woman's shoulder to move her out of the way of yet more fighters barreling toward her. "Stay right here, okay?" she waited for confirmation the woman understood, then added, "I'm going to help you out," before moving away.

Stepping in behind the thief, Bron searched the man's retreating form for something worth while. Spotting a pouch of tobacco in his britches, Bron darted forward, snatching it from his pocket. The man spun on her instantly, and Bron did the best she could to look 'caught'. Praying he would put down the keg first, Bron propped her quarterstaff just behind her leg, out of sight of the man. And, though her hand still held tight to it's shaft, the man would have to look hard to notice that her arm wasn't just by her side. Or so she hoped. This was the first time she had tried such a thing.

Thankfully, the man did sit down the keg, and as he began to straighten, Bron pulled her staff around and struck, but the end of her quarterstaff caught on her boot, sending her arching blow off. The end of the staff slammed into the thief's jaw and cheek area. Bron grunted, as the man fell -she had been aiming for the temple. Standing over the stunned man, Bron slammed the end against his temple, and he didn't move again.

Slinging her staff around her shoulder, Bron leaned down and collected the keg, nearly dropping it as she stood -damn thing was heavier than it looked- and waddled her burden back to where she had left the woman. "Here," she said, offering the heavy thing forward, "maybe it will help if you're only missing one."

Last edited by Bronwen on March 1st, 2018, 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bronwen
Making myself unforgetable

Words: 127034
Joined roleplay: May 29th, 2014, 6:13 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Mizahar Grader (1)

Postby Kelski on February 20th, 2018, 1:57 am

Kelski’s eyes widened as she met the pretty woman’s eyes. The Kelvic looked like an animal caught in sudden bright light in the darkness, frozen and wide-eyed. The sea-eagle stared, tilting her head up, caught in the woman’s bright grey-blue gaze. She opened her mouth to respond and then closed it again at the woman’s words. Her name? Kelski had no idea in that moment of panic. All she knew is the woman told her to stay there and she did so, trustingly, because she had in that moment nothing else but the fear inside of her to cling too.

Sunberth was making Kelski a coward, and for good reason. The Kelvic didn’t answer the woman other than to nod, stepping quietly to the side, out of the way of the rest of the people surging by. Help? How could this woman help her? She watched the sheer cleverness of the woman backwards attack the man that had just accosted her, stealing his tobacco. The Kelvic tilted her head as far as the thick slave collar around her neck would let her as she watched…. and learned.

It took almost no time before the woman with the quarterstaff had her keg back and the thief that had stolen the keg was prone on the ground, being trod upon and jumped over by more of the crowd that was fleeing the fire and riot. Kelski could no longer see Darvin, nor anyone she knew, and she had no idea where she was in the city.

The Kelvic took the keg gratefully, and nodded, not sure it would help at all, but willing to try. It was heavy but there were worse things Darvin had made her carry. “Thank you. I… don’t know what to say. That man seemed bigger, stronger, and better armed when he took that keg from me. Against you, he seemed smaller somehow. I liked that…” The Kelvic said, her voice stammering out her uncertainty.

“My name is Kelski. I was carrying these for a Sun Birth’s Dragoon who was guarding me. I… “ Kelski stammered to a halt, backing up even further as the crowd beyond surged again. Now that Bron was studying her face to face, the quarterstaff wielding woman could see the other woman didn’t in fact have brunette hair but had black and white brindled locks. Though she was young, streaks of white fell across her forehead and partially covered a pair of wide steel-grey eyes. Her face was a mass of piercings that continued downward on her chest and through the flesh of her cheeks and lip. The Kelvic shifted uncomfortably under the taller woman’s scrutiny.

“I am afraid I do not know who you are. I saw Darvin…. my guardian… grab you earlier. I am very sorry. That man is a pig. He has very little respect for women and … he is well into his drinks… which actually makes him nicer.” The Kelvic said, tossing her head and snorting as if she had a hard time linking Darvin’s name to the term nice. Her collar had a tag, much like a dog would wear, that dangled down and held the emblem of the Sun’s Birth. It was clear she was a slave… a slave to a gang.

“It won’t help…. having just one.” Kelski said suddenly, abruptly. “I don’t even know what’s in them.” She said, suddenly realizing one was definitely gone for good and her voice edged with panic. “… or in this.” She added. Kelski could guess it was liquor, but she had no idea what kind. Maybe she was completely wrong. Darvin often bought kegs of philtering components too, things to cook up his drugs with. This could be one of those.

Kelski swung her head around, scanning the crowd wildly. It was still surging, though they were on the outskirts of it. “I don’t know where we are.” She said abruptly, shifting as if to make herself smaller and to move against the wall of the nearest building. The Kelvic clutched at the keg, glad her burden was lightened by half, but still scared it wouldn’t be enough to pacify the Dragoon. Someone jostled the Kelvic hard and then more bodies pressed into them as the crowd pattern seemed to move, bringing more of the brawl closer. If they lingered where they were any longer, they would definitely be amidst the brawl once again.

“We need…. I need to leave… its not safe here.” Kelski said abruptly, her sharp eyes spotting an escape path down an alley and out into an adjacent street. She started to move that way, with one eye scanning the crowd looking for her keeper again. Kelski glanced at the woman, certain now she could take care of herself.

“I don’t even know your name….” She said abruptly, suddenly wanting it before she fled further.

Kelski

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Bronwen on February 25th, 2018, 1:23 am

So much younger than she looked, did this woman, this Kelski seem, as Bron stared down on her, that the Syliran felt an instant and instinctual need to protect her. She found herself smiling at the dark haired woman and at her comment. "It's the staff," Bron replied, "sometimes my quarterstaff makes me feel bigger, too, but.." she continued, smiling, remembering her Father's lessons, "a weapon makes you bigger, or stronger, than your foe only if you know how to use it."

Bron considered the woman then, taking in her features and the many jewels and loops of metal that adorned it. Kelski's eyes, though, she could become lost in that innocent gaze looking up at her, and, Bron realized, suddenly, those eyes were not unlike Noah's, a golden eagle Kelvic Bron had once known. Bron wondered, vaguely, at the thought, but a more pressing notion won dominence of her thoughts and she opened her mouth to inquire about who, in Sylir's name, the Dragoons were, but snapped it closed again, as a mass of angry men swelled toward them, obliging Bron to plant the firm end of her staff against the back of one getting to close for comfort.

Grey eyes suddenly widened as they alighted on the collar at Kelski's neck. "You're a slave." more a statement, than a question, but before the Syliran could inquire further, she was hit from behind by a rioter, nearly knocking her to the ground. Bron straightened with a grimace. "I think you are right," she said, shoving yet another Sunberthian with her staff, "it's flight or fight and I think we need to leave." The tall woman spared a smile for the slave. "My name is Bronwen." Then, nodding in the direction that Kelski's eyes surveyed, Bron smiled. "Go and I'll go with you."

Bron followed the young slave into the alleyway and had nearly made it to the street beyond, before 3 individuals stood upright from some deed they were undertaking against the wall. "Well, where y'all two pretties off to in such a hurry?" A tall bean pole of a man said, as he stood from his stoop.

Bron grabbed Kelski from behind, forcing her to stop, then stepped around to stand in front of the slave, her quarterstaff twirling once to a defensive hold. The daughter of a Knight may have been raised in a fortified city, but Bronwen Druva knew full well what sinister looked like and she knew she now stared it in the face. Bron took a step back, then another, forcing Kelski to back up with her. She wanted to turn and run, but the fear that these men would charge her as soon as she did had her frozen.

"Look, Nate, dat' one brought ale to da party" A shorter, more squat man stepped up beside bean poll, his completely hairless head was filthy, and streaks of sweat had carved cleaner paths down his face. The third man stumbled out to stand beside the other two, his tangled hair laid in greasy strips to his shoulders, and, just to look at him, Bron knew he was drunk, and dared not wonder why his pants were stained and untied.

Bron glanced to the wall where the three had been hovering and a sick knot formed in her gut; she could see it now, the motionless form of a small female. Bron nearly screamed in outrage, but there was nothing she could do for the poor thing, but she could, at least, get Kelski to safety. Turning her face to speak quietly over her shoulder, she never took her eyes off the men. "When I say now, drop your keg, turn around, and run..." Bron forced Kelski back again with another backward step, again, one more, then yelled..."Now!" and promptly stopped in a dead halt; the riot had surged to the mouth of the alleyway and they were cut off.

Spinning around, Bron brought her focus back on the three thugs, the smile on their faces revealing that they, too, knew that the two females were cut off. A jolt of adrenaline ran through the tall female as realization dawned. "Kelski, if you have a weapon, get it out!"

Bean pole charged forward, his hand wielding a small dagger. Bron swung her staff in a hip to shoulder blow, catching the man beneath his chin, but even as that blow landed, the drunk swiveled passed the flailing staff and bore down on Kelski. Bron yelled out in rage and caught the drunk with a downward blow to his shoulder. It gave the girl enough room to ram Kelski's body against the wall, shielding the smaller frame with her own. With two of them injured, and the other looking a bit apprehensive Bron made a decision...

Flight had just went out of their options, now they would be left with fight!

\

Bronwen

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Mizahar Grader (1)

Postby Kelski on February 25th, 2018, 9:55 pm

The woman was not like anyone she’d ever met. Kelski couldn’t help but stare, even as the woman casually explained her strength away as being the staff. It wasn’t the staff and anyone, even someone with no mind, could tell it wasn’t the staff. It was the woman. She had wise words too, words that echoed something Darvin had told Kelski. The weapon was only as good as the wielder.

“I am owned. There is a difference. I am no man’s slave.” Kelski said automatically, as if she was used to repeating that. The Kelvic twisted her head rolling it around the confines of the collar, resenting the collar not for the first time this day as the crowd surged once more.

“Bronwen.” Kelski repeated. She stared at the woman like Kelski was seeing something that shouldn’t have existed. Women in Sunberth were comfortable in their skin and used it to their advantage or they were beaten down and broken. This woman reminded her of someone from Lhavit, someone proud and whole and smart. And so she listened when Bronwen told her to go, and she did, keeping an eye on the young woman to make sure she came with. She was dragged to a stop shortly thereafter though when Bron saw something and threw herself in front of Kelski after halting her mid-flight.

Kelski clutched the keg, recognizing it as a weapon moreso than anything else at the moment. Bronwen gave instructions for Kelski to drop her keg and run, but the Kelvic had been slowly trained to do differently. She hadn’t indured night after night of being dosed with drugs by Darvin to not learn the lessons the drug testing paid for.

Never give up your element of surprise.
Never waste an opportunity.
Never drop a weapon.

Bronwen wanted her to run, to turn and flee, but Kelski had already spotted the surging crowd. The three men had obviously hurt a woman, not even an adult by the looks of things, and yet here they were ready for more. Kelski’s face twisted in a mask of disgust. She was watching the ones not targeting Bron and therefore missed Bron’s skinny target taking a hit and giving Bron time to slam into Kelski and press her into the wall.

The Kelvic hissed in surprised. “Get off me. I’m not helpless. I’ll fight. Gods, you're harder than a wall.” Kelski complained, still clutching the Keg. The sea eagle could smell the drink on the drunk’s breath. She still hadn’t dropped the keg and put it to good use as the man went down with the blow on his shoulder. Kelski used her hip to shove Bron out of the way, using the wall to push off against and raised the keg to bring it down on the man’s head. He crumpled immediately, eyes rolling up in his head and Kelski hoped in that moment that his head cracked beneath the rim of the keg she used on his unprotected head.

“One for each of us. I’m not a fighter, but they don’t look like they are in very good shape either. Drugs, or drink…. doesn’t matter. I don’t know where we are so I don’t know if these are gangs or not. I hope they aren’t but … we can’t …. stay here.” Kelski reiterated again, swinging the keg wide once more. Darvin had told her never to throw away a weapon. If he wanted her to build strength and stamina lugging his kegs around, she was going to listen. And she was going to use the knowledge he gave her.

The bigger of the two men, one with a nasty scar on his face that bisected his lips and ran down his chin grinned at Bron. “I like my women feisty. And I can see you like long hard staffs girl! Well, I got one of those right here in my pocket. Lets see if you like it as well as the one you are waving about.” He said with a laugh, not seemingly worried that his companion was still crumpled to the ground and there was now a pool of blood oozing out from under his fallen form. Kelski might very well have cracked his skull open or indeed Bronwen’s blow opened up his shoulder. The girls weren’t sticking around to investigate.

The big guy advanced on Bronwen, drawing a sword looking like he was a kid that just walked into the candy store. “I got thirds on that girl. I want firsts with you. Gods you have legs for miles….” He said with a partially toothed grin. He moved well, but Kelski could see with her sharp eyes that his pupils were a bit dilated. It was a sure sign he was on something… probably something that meant he was feeling no pain. “He’s on something… look at his eyes.” She hissed, clueing in the taller sleek warrior that there was something amiss about the guy.

Meanwhile, the third man had his sights set on Kelski and he didn’t stand around wanting to bullshit like his bigger buddy. He made a beeline straight for her, circling clear of Bronwen, and grinning at the smaller Kelvic. “Pretty little slave. If you won’t fight, I won’t cut your throat like I did that other little bitch…” He said with a snarl. Kelski could hear a slur to his words. Drunk. He was a mean drunk but not drunk enough to be dysfunctional as a male. Her experience with Darvin had taught her all the signs. Darvin wasn’t a mean drunk but he hung out with plenty of men who were. The two girls luck just wasn’t holding.

As the man advanced, Kelski waited until he was almost on top of her and threw the keg straight at him. Like a typical Sunberther, he wasn’t going to let what could be a potential booze windfall slide so he didn’t even try to duck it. Instead, he caught it neatly out of the air as if it weighed nothing. Kelski didn’t waste the opportunity. Instead she shoved forward, drawing her dagger out of the back of her belt and holding it close to her body, concealed against her as she lead with her weaponless hand.

She cried piteously…. “Don’t hurt us… please Gods… I’m just a slave. You can do whatever, just don’t hurt us!” Her free weaponless hand waved in a pleading manner, as if trying to ward off the man’s advances. The Kelvic reached out when both their momentums put them together, grabbing the man’s shirt like Darvin had taught her and latched onto him while his arms were still full of the keg. She pressed in, mean as a snake, and began driving the dagger into his torso over and over and over again, just as the big Dragoon had instructed.

Distract.
Deceive.
Latch on.
Strike repeatedly.
Kill before you got killed.

Kelski had no idea if she could cut the man down, but she was determined to put Darvin’s ‘Down and Dirty Sunberth Fighting 101’ to good use.

Kelski

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Bronwen on March 1st, 2018, 6:59 pm

Bronwen spared a quick sideways glance down at Kelski, one thin brow arching slightly in appreciation, seeing the now prone thug. There was more to this little slave than meets the eye -maybe there is a difference between one being owned and one enslaved. "I'm not sure where we are, either" Bron replied, casting her eyes around the passage, "or where my Father is" she added, more to herself.

Attention returning to scar face, Bron refused to react to his attempt at intimidation, his sword, however.... Pivoting from one foot to the other, the Syliran fell into a fighting stance, grey eyes following the man's approach. Of all the bells upon bells that Matrim Druva had drilled, trained, and practiced the quarterstaff with his daughter, Bron was never so grateful than this moment. Remembering these lesson's, she planted her grey eyes on the man's chest, taking in his sword arm and stance with one look, letting his body language tell her what his next move would be.

One, two, three steps and the man lifted his sword for a powerful, downward slash aimed for Bron's head. Bron spun right, missing the blow by inches, and jabbed the end of her staff into the man's ribs in passing. The swordsman spun and slashed in one smooth motion at the girl's midsection, obliging Bron to jump back to avoid the belly opening hit. They circled one another, each waiting for the other to move. Standing opposite of how they had begun, Bron now faced the end of the alleyway, where the crowd surged and fought.

Sliding her hand down the shaft of the staff, Bron swung it like a broom stick at the man's head, but the man parried with his sword. Bron winced as the blow reverberated up the wooden staff, but maintained the momentum, then added to it with a complete turn, aiming low. At the last chime, Bron tried to stop the momentum, though, seeing that the man had changed sword arms, but she was too slow. With an open hand, scar face grabbed the staff and jerked Bronwen forward, the hilt of his sword coming down on her head.

Mat had watched his daughters flight from the opposite side of the surging crowd and had spent the last several chimes trying to fight his way toward her. Finally, stepping free of the violence, his long stride took him down the alleyway quickly, as grey eyes surveyed the scene before him. Closing the distance between himself and a petite, dark haired female struggling with a much bigger man, Mat grabbed the man by his shirt and his belt with massive arms, and hurled him face first into the wall beside him. The drunk hit the wall and slid, leaving a crimson streak behind.

The soldier turned on Kelski, hand upraised to indicate he meant no harm to her, then, pulling his sword free, moved toward Bron. Scar face had heard the commotion and stood ready to meet the taller man, the look on the thugs face decidedly less sure of himself. Bron crawled to a wall and pulled herself up on wobbling legs, shaking her head, attempting to clear it, as Mat and the man came together in a flurry of metal, the sound near deafening in the small passageway.

It wasn't Mat's sword that finished off the scar faced man, but a long, powerful leg planted in the middle of his chest, leaving him gurgling with a crushed rib cage. Behind Mat, one of the other thugs stumbled to his feet. Bron's eyes went wide "Father!" she screamed, but the warning wasn't necessary. Before Bron closed her mouth, Mat had thrust his sword backwards and the attacker crumpled.

The warrior straightened and leaned over the still form of the female that lay against the wall. Bron looked down. The poor girl couldn't have been more than 12 years old, her small form still in death, blood pooling out from beneath a head full of blonde hair. Mat's head bowed as his hand found a breathless chest. Standing, the soldier pulled Kelski and Bronwen to his forefront and ushered them out of the alley and onto the street beyond. Breathing heavily, he looked at each female in turn, his long strides leading them to safety. "You hurt?" he asked, then, settled his hard gaze on Kelski, taking in her features "And who might you be, madam?"

Bronwen

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Mizahar Grader (1)

Postby Kelski on March 5th, 2018, 12:29 am

Kelski caught the glance Bronwen gave her and grinned somewhat ferally at the young woman. At the indication that Bron was looking for a father, Kelski glanced around, uncertain what a real father looked like. The closest figure she had to one was Darvin, and he truthfully had very little nurturing in him. “What does he look like?” Kelski started to ask until the scarred man rudely interrupted.

She started to tense up and step to defend Bron, but the girl had things well under control. Kelski studied the way the girl fell into a fighting stance and mimicked the motion, scanning the area trying to keep the two of them safe while Bronwen was occupied. She was beautiful fighting, so strong and proud and most importantly free. Kelski at once was filled with a strange emotion… admiration tinged with jealousy. She held off the man with the sword beautifully until one slow reaction started to cost her dearly. Kelski surged forward with a cry, cocking back a dagger to throw it when a brute of a man lunged out of the crowd and grabbed the man. Kelski stilled her motion, frantically looking between Bron and the man, as the man made the hands up gesture. Mat. Kelski recognized him immediately. And then she cursed herself because Bron and Mat looked so similar, even she could see the resemblance. It wasn’t just the height. It was the strength. She jumped at the impact against the wall and moved instinctually, putting Bron behind her, watching the rest of the crowd.

Kelski glanced over her shoulder at Bron crawling up the wall, then glanced back at the battle in front of her. The men were out of her league, but Mat was clearly the superior. She frowned as Bron cried out, the action could have easily distracted the man, but held herself stoic keeping the girl on the wall and the crowd between her and the wounded beauty. Kelski felt instinctually protective. The girl was all that Kelski wanted to be. And she didn’t want to see it destroyed like everything else in Sunberth always was.

The Kelvic didn’t protest as she was ‘handled’ out of the alley and into the open. And she shook her head as he asked if they were hurt. “See to Bron. He hit her hard.” She said, gesturing to the other girl the Knight wasn’t seemingly letting go of either. She blinked, shifting herself so she wasn’t so much controlled by Mat, but on the other side of Bron, supporting her. “I think he hit her head hard.” Kelski guessed, having not actually seen what had caused the girl to go down. She’d been busy defending their immediate area.

“I am Kelski. I was at the island… with the Daggerhands and the Priest of Dira. Thank you for helping us. I don’t know why the crowd is so angry today. I got separated from my guard. I was pack horsing kegs for him today.” She said softly, growing even paler for a moment – if that was possible – at the reminder that her kegs were now gone. There would be a cost for the carelessness when she returned, but for now she tried not to think of it.

Kelski delicately touched Bron’s forehead, narrowing her eyes and looking for signs of a blow. “Are you okay? We can stop a chime or two if we can find someplace safe. I still don’t know where we are.” Kelski said, glancing around, throwing her gaze wide and seeing if she could spot anything. The streets behind them where chaos, but they looked clear to either side and in front of them.

The Kelvic glanced at Mat uncertain. She truthfully was fully lost.

Kelski

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Bronwen on March 5th, 2018, 1:35 am

A dizzy and rattled Bronwen happily excepted Kelski's support, as they marched along the street. "I'm okay," Bron said, as Kelski gestured for Matrim to see to her, "I think I'll be fine." Matrim glanced from Bron to the young slave, then smiled, "Yes, I do recognize you." he said, inclining his head at her thanks, either reluctantly refraining from saying anything further about their earlier encounter, or deliberately quiet, Bronwen didn't know, but her Fathers visage suddenly went stern, and he fell quiet.

Bron glanced over to Kelski, her fingers warm against her forehead. "I think I will stop a chime." Bron smiled gently at the young woman, then all but fell onto a barrel in the street. "Just a chime." she repeated, head leaning back against a cobblestone wall. Mat scanned a careful eye over his daughter, then turned to Kelski, something fierce in him that his daughter had never known before. Bron watched the two threw lowered lashes.

The soldier's eyes studied the small female before speaking. "Your guardian," he began, his jaw visibly working behind clinched teeth, grey eyes falling to the collar around Kelski's petite neck. And with that, Bronwen knew exactly what rankled her Father, "made you a pack horse?" Mat turned away, rubbing a thumb across his forehead, then, turning back, he visibly reclaimed his demeanor. "You aided my daughter in that alleyway?" Mat glanced to Bron, who nodded. Mat, turning back, bowed, "I owe you a debt, M'lady, and I shall repay this debt in any means you see fit."

Bron glanced to Kelski, then her Father, who seemed debating upon something silently. Standing, Bron gestured for retreat to continue, only swaying slightly. But Mat turned back to Kelski. "Do you know how to swim, lass?"

"Father!" Bron interrupted, "are you seriously still wanting to go swimming?" The warrior grinned, as if nothing had just happened in the alleyway. "But you just..you just did that!" Bron couldn't find the correct words, but her father just nodded his understanding. "I did," he said, "and I did what was necessary." The look he gave silenced the Syliran and she glanced to the young slave, fingers rubbing up against her forehead, as she tried to understand a Syliran soldiers unwavering continence.

"Until your," Mat cleared his throat, "guard returns I do wish for you to stay close, this place is no where a young woman should be alone." The smile that Matrim Druva gave the young slave woman, then, made even his daughter blush.

Bronwen

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Mizahar Grader (1)

Postby Kelski on March 6th, 2018, 2:44 am

Kelski knew showing weakness in Sunberth was like an open invitation for someone to take advantage of you. She was glad Bron was okay, but the sea eagle still worried that Bron was just covering for weakness. It was not something she blamed the dark-haired girl for. Instead, she admired her for not giving in to what might be something serious. The Kelvic reached out gently, even while still supporting Bron, and stroked the back of her head. She leaned in and nibbled at Bron’s shoulder preening her to give her comfort unconsciously while the girl leaned on her momentarily. Kelski was happy suddenly to be helping the taller older man support his daughter.

She liked them both… oh so much.

Matrim’s attention was hard for Kelski to bare. He had an intense gaze and radiated confidence and strength in a way that was new to her. Usually these traits were images the gang leadership and more powerful thugs projected like an odd sort of armor or even a weapon, which they lashed out with in vicious ways. But this didn’t seem to be Matrim. He had a quiet gentleness beneath the bulk that drew her like a magnet and confused her because Kelski felt pulls as a Kelvic she’d never felt before. It was like she wanted his entire attention and yet if it were captured, she’d run in a heartbeat because it would be too much for her to handle. Torn by the feelings, Bron became a sort of anchor that Kelski clung too.

Bronwen was a woman with a father… a father that loved her. The girl had a family. She was strong and tall and proud and not afraid to fight. Bron had freedom. The young woman was everything Kelski admired and desired for her own life.

And she seemed to value it and understand that she had it. That was such a precious trait.

When Bron abruptly sat down, Kelski released her and bent in front of her peering at her eyes. She ran her hand across Bron’s face, seeing if the darker color of her gaze would shrink and expand. It did. She sighed in relief. If they wouldn’t, the Kelvic knew it meant grave danger, perhaps even death, because the head could be fragile. Then she glanced both directions and checked the way. It seemed clear. “I think we can rest here a few chimes. We’re clear of the riot for now.” She said softly, reaching out to take one of Bron’s hands.

Kelski truthfully didn’t want to stop touching her. She didn’t fully understand why, it felt instinctual and hard-wired, and the Kelvic gave into the urge. If Bron pulled away, she’d simply let her. But if the young woman would let her keep her hand, she’d squeeze it gently, and encourage her that she was safe.

The Kelvic abruptly released Bron’s hand, ready to run, when Mat once more turned his attention back to her. It was that feeling again… she needed his attention but couldn’t stand to have it once she had it. She eased back away from the man, not running, but putting space between them. There was something in his eyes, something hard and dangerous. She didn’t know if she caused it or there was something else behind the emotion. Matrim was a stranger to her, for all that she knew his name and had fought alongside him before.

The metal her master made her wear in her face and body embarrassed her too, made her self-conscious under close scrutiny. The piercings were garish and unnecessary but Jaren liked her decorated. She hated it. She hoped Bron and Matrim didn’t see them and realize what they truly were. Kelski brushed a hand up and across her mouth, hiding a few of them casually under the pretense of rubbing her jawline.

When he repeated what she’d said… about Darvin…. Kelski gently shook her head. “No, Ser. It is not like that. I.. am a craftswoman. I was brought here against my will and sold by the Svefra. I am a jeweler, not the type that strings beads or makes trinkets. But the kind that can cut gemstones and works metal at a forge. I spent much time inside indoors working at the whim of my Master. My owner does not like me to go out. My guard, Darvin, is gracious even though his motivations are his own. I trade with him… things I can… for training and I asked him to help me be stronger. For things like this when we need to fight. So he takes me out under the sky. He gives me heavy things to carry to make me stronger. He treats me no different than the other Sun Birth’s recruits. Without him, I could not go outside. I could not fight when I need too.” What she didn’t say immediately was what she traded Darvin for the time outside under the sky and the training.

Her guard tested his drugs on her to make sure his batches he cooked were non-lethal. And she was often sick because of it. And when she wasn’t sick, she was craving more of what he made. It was a vicious cycle.

She didn’t know why he turned away or made to smooth the troubles off his forehead. Kelski met his gaze as he turned back to her, more questions in his eyes. Unlike the other people she’d met in Sunberth who often didn’t vocalize what was on their minds, Matrim did. She seemed surprised that in his own way he thanked her, even though Kelski didn’t do anything in her mind.

“Your daughter is strong and brave. I didn’t help her. She helped me. Bron… protected me.” Kelski said, glancing at the young woman. “I like her. She is much of what I hope I can be someday, strong and fierce. And she has a family. People here forget they can be kind and still be strong. Bronwen seems to still remember this. I hope she never forgets.” The Kelvic said, glancing between father and daughter.

“There is no debt owed. Thank you though for thinking such a thing. I have very few needs in this world, and the one need I have is not something easily given.” It was the one thing slaves always wanted who were still unbroken and partially whole. Kelski wanted her freedom. She glanced at the sky as she said that and fingered her collar. She hated the ornate thing with its dog tag.

“If you still think a debt is owed, the one thing you can do that is within your power is to protect your daughter in this city. I have lived free in a far-off place in a city of the sun, moon, and stars. It was lovely and breathtaking. But here, people do not realize that this city is like a giant rotting corpse. Its decaying all around them, slowly poisoning them. It steals their hope and joy and even their strength. It makes them vicious. Make sure that doesn’t touch her.” Kelski said, moving to Bronwen again, reaching out and touching her hair, trying to sooth her by gently stroking it. The Kelvic wished she had her beak. She only knew how to show affection as a bird. Such things in human form were beyond her and she felt clumsy and awkward at it.

At the mention of swimming, Kelski brightened and turned to face Matrim, leaving Brom’s now smoothed hair. “I was born out to sea. I love the water. I do not know how to swim, but it brings me much joy to be in and around it. Are there fish? I love fish.” She said slightly excited, hoping Bron felt up to it. She wanted to go. She wanted to spend more time with the pair. They didn’t exclude her or make her feel unwelcome. In fact, she could easily pretend she was supposed to be there with them.

The pair would not know it, but the young Kelvic hardly ever spoke unless spoken too. This was perhaps one of the first times in her life she had opened up so immediately and easily.

She caught Matrim’s smile and it was like the sun breaking out from the darkest clouds. Kelski stared at him stunned for a moment and reached out her hand. She gently touched him on his arm and then took a step closer and leaned her forehead against that same arm. It reminded her of leaning against a brick wall. Kelski felt as if her brain was telling her the pair weren’t real and she had to keep touching them to reinforce the fact that they were. She stood there a full chime before she stepped back and glanced up at him. Then she looked at Bron.

“I will stay close. Darvin will find us eventually. I am still not sure where we are, but there is a nice stretch of beach on the river near one of the broken bridges, and there is more beach where the river meets the sea. If you walk slightly north there are very few waves and the water always seems calm to me.” She said softly, not realizing she hadn’t released his arm yet. She did then, turning to Bron, and offering her an arm.

“If we can find the useless bridges, we can find the river and the sea.” Kelski said helpfully.

“Getting out of the city a bit will help your head. The air clears and the tang of salt is fresher. I might even be able to find some crabs. Fresh meat will help your head. I know how to hunt them from my time in Lhavit.” She said, wondering how long she could dodge Darvin and if they indeed walked to the mouth of the river and a bit up the coast, he would have to look everywhere else in the city first before he found her. There would be repercussions later, of course, but Kelski valued these little times she slipped away and had a chance to pretend her life wasn’t what it was.

Kelski

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Bronwen on March 9th, 2018, 3:35 pm

Bron glanced down at Kelski, frowning, feeling her bite at her shoulder, then seeing no malice in the young slave, smiled quizzically at her, before watching the hand that passed by her face. The slave seemed satisfied with what ever her motion deduced. Bron watched Kelski close, nearly jumping to her feat to calm the girl's fear of her father, but this woman had a gentleness, or genuine sweetness, about her that made Bron smile. Being raised around Knights and in a fortified city, gentleness was greatly appreciated and admired by the warrior's daughter and Kelski's seemingly true concern of Bronwen's well being in the city only solidified this observation. Instinctively, Bron lowered her arm, wrapping it about the slaves slim shoulders, and leaned her head against her, as the slaves slim fingers ran through her hair, strangely calmed by the woman's touch and humbled by her words.

As Kelski turned away, Bron stood, resigned to their watery fate, but also amused at Kelski's excitement at the prospect. Mat's face still retained the look of deep thought it had acquired while listening to the slave speak, but went instantly surprised when the dark haired woman pressed her head against his arm. He shot a glance to Bron, who tried to mimic him putting his arm around the slim slave, but Mat waited too long, and Kelski drew away. Bron rolled her eyes as the soldiers brows shot skyward.

After listening to Kelski's direction, Mat looked for Dira's guidance, nodded, and headed off northward. Bron slid her arm around Kelski's and the two fell in behind the tall soldier's stride. "My father is an honorable man," Bron said, glancing at her father's back, "he wont hurt you in any way, in fact," Bron looked at Kelski, "I think he might be able to help you in ways you may think others would fail." she added, then fell silent, looking thoughtful.

Bronwen wanted to come right out and tell her new friend that her father might could even help give her back freedom, but the Syliran wasn't sure about slavery, and whether or not Kelski did, indeed, want to be free. Some slaves were lost without their master and Kelski seemed to be fond of her guardian, in some ways, at least, and Kelski had stated that she was owned, not enslaved. Bron didn't know if there was a difference between the two.

"You know," Bron began, thinking back at how the slave seemed ashamed of her piercings, "Myrian's have piercings and their warriors pierce their face, too, as a sign of strength and bravery." Bronwen had no idea if this was true, she had only ever laid eyes on a Myrian maybe once or twice in her lifetime, but she wanted, somehow, to make Kelski feel better. "Maybe yours," she continued, stepping around a mud puddle, "can be a sign of your kindness and your beauty."

Bron smiled down at the shorter woman, all playfulness gone from her tone. "You are a beautiful woman, Kelski, you know that? In fact, every where I look some man is checking you out." Bron nodded her head to where a man stared as they passed by, a carving knife and piece of wood forgotten in his hands, "see. And you deserve to be treated as a beautiful woman and not as someones property."
Bron was quiet for a long while, hoping that she hadn't gone too far with what she had said, then added, with a smile, "I just thought you should know that."

After a short while, Mat turned around, his hand raised, indicating a broken bridge in the distance. Not waiting on a reply, he led the way down to the shore line. Having reached the waters edge first, Mat stripped off his clothes, leaving on a pair of dark blue shorts that he had fashioned from an old pair of cotton pants. Splashing several steps into the water, the warrior dove and disappeared beneath the surface.

By the time Bronwen and Kelski had reached the shore, Mat was wading toward them, smiling, water draining off his head and shoulders, down strong arms and a thick, muscular chest, and down a flat, chiseled stomach. Bron smiled, letting go of Kelski. She knew that women found her Father very handsome and she didn't want to embarrass the woman if she did also. Bron removed her clothes down to a bathing suit, then, crossing arms over a bare belly, glared at her Father, blaming him for her bashfulness. Matrim grinned, "Alright," he said, "we ready?"

oocFeel free to control Mat :nod:

Bron's swimsuitImage

Bronwen

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Mizahar Grader (1)

Next