Closed [The Midnight Gem] Live to see the sun rise

(Kelski) History is cyclical. To live long enough is to see the past repeat itself.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A lawless town of anarchists, built on the ruins of an ancient mining city. [Lore]

Moderator: Morose

[The Midnight Gem] Live to see the sun rise

Postby Kynier on August 14th, 2018, 9:06 pm

Every chime felt as long as a whole night as he knelt there, holding the loose hand in his own. Despite resting in a tub with waters tainted red, leaving pink trails of water across her skin, Kelski looked at peace. Kynier just watched in silence. So enthralled was he that Ebon reached under his shirt and used his divine gifted powers to cleanse the mage’s wound. Had the human been aware of it happening he would’ve fought the night lion off him. Demanding that he spend that power on Kelski until she was back in perfect health. As it was, Kynier couldn’t take his eyes off her and was ignorant of his surroundings.

When Ebon was done the mage felt better. There was a brief surge of energy to his muscles and limbs. But it was like pouring a glass of water back into a dry well. It quickly dissipated and left the mage feeling the need to sleep even more. But when Kelski’s eyes open, Kynier called on that glass of water in the well. “Kelski,” he whispered with significant relief. But there was something going on in the silver eyes. Kelski did not smile at him but looked at him with something that looked like bewilderment. Perhaps even annoyance. Her statement struck him senseless. “What’re you…?”

In his exhaustion he failed to see the intensity of her movements. Kelski was thrashing in the water and took control of his hand as it came closer to her form. A sharp pinch enveloped his knuckles as her teeth dug through the skin and even through muscle. “Ow!” Instinctively he took his hand away. Blood already welling up through the jagged tears in his flesh. Kynier cradled it against his body and managed to get up to his feet. The sea eagle was still thrashing around the tub as he inspected his hand. “Kelski! What the pe…” The rest of the words failed to come out as somehow she propelled herself out of the tub and wrapped herself around him.

The application of her body weight was too much to bear in his condition. After the initial impact Kynier fell backwards. Body crashing hard on the chamber floor. Kelski followed him down and buried her face deep into the highest point of his neck. For an instant Kynier panicked and thought she was going for his throat next. But the soaked kelvic just rested herself on top of him. Kynier felt the pull of her hands on his clothes pulling him closer, as well as the squeeze of her legs around his own. When his confusion subsided Kynier wrapped his arms around her wet shivering body.

By the gods, what happened?

Aches and exhaustion filled him in equal measure. With the liberation of knowing she was here, that she was still alive and no longer gone, the darkness of sleep dared to draw his eyes closed. The mage forced himself to not fully close his lids. No longer did he need to see but wanted to consciously feel her presence. So muted were all other senses that Kynier was unaware of little Rhaus wandering around making inquiries. Sleep was taking him into Nysel’s embrace.

“Imbecile!” cried the voice so loud that Kynier felt instantly awake. “Be mindful of your surroundings!”

Through the haze of his thoughts Kynier turned his head this way and that. Everyone was looking at Aer’wyn strangely. Kynier turned to see the Akalak pick up his weapon and hold it in his hand. After that he swept the animated idol off the ground and spoke to it. The voice was the same, yet not at all the same. Tone was painted darker with what sounded like malicious intent. Eyes of innocence were reshaped to something harder.

Vel.

The dark soul had reclaimed dominion of the body. From the sound of his words Aer’wyn may not be able to reclaim control for a long while. Kynier held Kelski close and tried to roll onto his good side. With her resting on top of him he failed to acquire the necessary strength to do so. But he couldn’t just lay on the ground helpless! Kynier adjusted his arm to get it underneath Kelski’s hip. Straining and groaning, he managed to shift her off him, though her body dragged across his wound and away from the Akalak. Kynier winced loudly at that as he adjusted himself to be between the two of them. When Kynier noticed Ebon he looked up at the night lion with a firm expression.

“Ebon, get my cloak. First wardrobe on the left outside the chamber. Wrap it around Kelski.” Kynier rose to knee and rested his nearer hand on Kelski’s shoulder. Kynier felt her need to keep in contact and accommodated it as much as the situation allowed. The mage looked up at the blue giant with half dead eyes and a smile. The words that came from his mouth were of the Tukant tongue. Long drawn syllables of a complex language he knew very little of passed through his lips. “I see you Vel.”

Kynier sought to keep all of the Akalak’s attention. For a long time he suspected there were two personalities inside that body. The mage had seen two souls competing for control a few times through Auristics. Vel was the first one he met. But only once. Kynier knew nothing of this being from beyond their encounter at the mysterious slab. The next words the mage spoke were in the common tongue again. “You still hold your weapon.” Kynier rested a hand on the hilt of his short sword and gripped the hilt. “Is it your intention to use it?”

He prayed not. But the Akalak’s size and weapon would not be advantageous in the bath chamber. With one swing the fighter could make a solid connection with two of the walls. The ceiling was nearly high enough above his head to allow for swinging either. Kynier’s short sword would have the advantage, but that was more than neutralized by his current condition.

Boxcode credit goes to Gossamer!
Kynier
Player

Words: 1156083
Joined roleplay: May 13th, 2018, 3:14 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Overlored (1) One Million Words! (1)
Sunberth Seasonal Challenge (1) 2018 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)
2018 Top NaNo Word Count (1)

Postby Kelski on August 18th, 2018, 12:13 am

Nothing had been okay for days. Nothing. And even as Kelski had staggered up the steps to the Living Quarters above the retail store and her workshop, she hadn’t really made it home… until her soaking wet arms wrapped around Kynier, the taste of his blood still in her mouth, and clung. Then and only then was she truly home. Despite all the fussing, the bath, the questions… everything… nothing had been okay until her face was buried in the crook of Kynier’s neck and her arms in a death grip around him.

She lost her fight with exhaustion and consciousness slipped from her being even as Kynier tried to stabilize them both. Safe. He was safe. He was home. And everything was okay in her mind in that moment even as she slipped away.

Ebon reacted to Kynier’s urgent warning; the male’s command making the choice for Ebon whether to attack or react. He reacted, skipping fetching Kynier’s cloak altogether and grabbing a coverlet off the bed in the other room to wrap around Kelski. He pulled the Kelvic gently from Kynier’s arms and cradled her close, backing up with her and taking her out of the room completely. He settling on the master bed with the unconscious Kelvic safely tucked against me. “I’ve got her, Kynier. She’s okay.” He said called back into the bathing chamber trying to pitch his voice with reassurance, his worried gaze glancing between the bathing chamber and Kelski, and the odd shadow Vel was casting on the wall that he could see through the archway.

Back in the bathing chamber, Little Rhaus bounced backwards as Vellisius set him on the ground after giving him a ride to his eye level free of charge. The little statue backed up quickly, his feet making clinks on the wooden floor as he scrambled to get back. He had no tools to work with at his level. No sound manipulation would help the situation. He darted behind Ren. “I wouldn’t get close. He has monster huge hands!” The statue stated, his voice high pitched and upset. He kept backing up, behind Ren, trying to decide what to do. The statue was brave. He’d been around for a long time, since his magical firing and he’d come out of the kiln all ready to sing. So he pulled his lute from his back, strummed its strings, and carefully and quietly began to play.

There wasn’t much else he could do beside play, hoping the music would tame the situation down. It wouldn’t work at first, but the more they focused on each other and not on him, the more he could infuse calm in the tune and impose it on them. It was all the little statue could offer the Kelvic in her home she’d carried him too. He’d hoped to find a place here, a family, but this was not exactly what he’d expected.

Back in the bedroom, inside Kelski’s mind, she was still surrounded by the familiar. Kynier’s scent had been replaced by Ebon’s, but the Kelvic still trusted the Night Lion and knew her mate was close. She had no idea what Vel had revealed nor what Kynier had said. She had no idea of Ren’s reaction or what Little Rhaus was doing. Instead she just drifted in the warmth of someone’s arms, feeling safe, and like she could finally finally rest.
They laugh at me because I am different.
I laugh at them because they are all the same.

Painted Sky Jewelry (The Wildlands) | Crossroads Jewelry (The Outpost)
Kelski
Freedom is earned. Fight for it.

Words: 2015452
Joined roleplay: July 3rd, 2014, 11:08 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (2)
Mizahar Grader (1) Trailblazer (1)
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Sunberth Seasonal Challenge (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Aer'wyn Grisghul on August 19th, 2018, 4:41 am

He hadn’t paid attention to what went on between the two wounded lovers. The fear, the bite, the realisation and alas the Kelvic’s return home, to the arms of the man who’d sacrifice himself for her in a heart beat. Such things were far out of reach to him. Instead his hand and attention was far too preoccupied with the little statue. Eyes of darkness trailed after the creature as it scuttled off to hide in the safety of the pack where blissful music enveloped the situation in a sound as soothing as honey.

Perhaps it was this divine sound that calmed the Akalak. So many times had he envisioned this moment. The raging fire he could unleash on the world of his light brother, turning all the things he loved into dust and ash. Nothing but skeletons would remain in the darkness of his fantasies when locked behind gates of iron will. But now that he lived it, the fantasies disappeared out of reach. What took him over was cold and calm and damn inside his heart which abandoned, gathered mould and cobwebs.

He saw Kelskihe carried off by the caring arms of her friend, into the other room where it was far safer than in here. He saw Ren crouched by a man but it was the man that his attention drifted to. Kynier - that was a name he wouldn’t forget quickly. And now memory summoned it to use.

“I see you too Kynier, old friend.” He said with a curve of his lip. Indeed the human had all his attention on him now for better or for worse.

A singular step advanced the Akalak towards Kynier, and then another. Slowly he walked closer, the sword still in his hand, lowered to the ground. But at the distance he came to, all it would take was a flick of the wrist and the human’s head could roll across the floor. He hadn’t of course intended to kill the Nightstalker. Not him nor his beloved. But in his calm, brought on by the music, he was still so very guarded, like a tower on which vices had found their nesting place from years of abandonment.

Vel hunched, a little closer to the human’s height but still not yet quite. “And so what if I was? Are you prepared to take your chance with that little needle at your side?” He scoffed mockingly. “How cute you are, little knight. But your blood is not what I’m after. You’ll keep it in your veins tonight.”
Aer'wyn Grisghul
I'm blue, dabu-di dabu-da...

Words: 107489
Joined roleplay: June 15th, 2018, 2:43 pm
Race: Akalak
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Rene Rafar on September 4th, 2018, 2:00 pm

Ren looked from Kyiner to the Akalak and back not sure what she could or should do. She was confused Why Aer'wyn would act like this no not Aer'wyn but Vel he said his name was Vel something. It has to be for he doesn't smell or sound like Aer'wyn its a darker more dangerous. the sent and tone compared to the one I thought of as a friend. Did he lie to us the whole time? She thought before speaking aloud.

"I don't understand. What do you mean your Vel?" Ren crouched ready to fight or flee depending on the two males. She knew she wouldn't be much help if they decided to fight each other with their weapons. She knew Kelski was safe for it was Ebon who is now protecting her from the safety of her and Kynier's bedroom. As for the stone statue she could hear his calming music coming from the now forgotten pack.

"W-what are you after then?" Her voice breaking just a little in fear swallowing she tried again and this time it was stronger. "Have we wronged you or caused you harm in all the time you have been here at the Gem? Please help me understand." If Ren even thought the Akalak would move to attack she would be shifting to her feline skin and bolting from the room.
Rene Rafar
Player

Words: 47214
Joined roleplay: March 19th, 2018, 2:29 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Kynier on September 5th, 2018, 2:12 am

Where the energy to be able to stand on his feet came from, he couldn’t say. The only possible was if his djed was acting as a source of strength. Only a few chimes ago he was ready to collapse and enter a deep hibernation. He was grateful that Ebon didn’t question his direction and took Kelski to the bed, leaving him and Rene with Vel in the bath chamber. The two of them in peak condition may have stood a chance against the akalak if he turned hostile. As it was now the probably didn’t stand a chance

When Vel spoke to him, the mage’s spine was jolted with a tingling sensation. Slowly, in a more theatrical sense, Kynier drew his short sword. The cold iron blade lowered to be next to his leg, pointed at the ground like Vel’s bastard sword. Kynier did his best to straighten his posture and took a step forward to the Akalak. His hazel eyes searched those of the warrior before him. While the smirk on the warrior’s face had a bloodthirsty nature to it Vel’s eyes did not appear to share the hunger.

The music from the strange idol was very detrimental to Kynier. Whatever remaining surge of strength he had was dissipating. Kynier wasn’t sure how he felt being addressed as a little knight. The emphasis on little was most likely second nature to the warrior, being at least a foot taller than most of the world that he walked. Kynier didn’t let that deter him. While he couldn’t say that he truly knew Aer’wyn, he didn’t know Vel at all. The light soul had urged that Vel was a lie. A persona he took to disguise himself in a fashion on the streets of Sunberth. The mage always suspected that that wasn’t the truth. But why had Vel reappeared now?

All he would be able to do was speak, so he decided to try and make it count. “Know this Vel. Everyone that lives within the Midnight Gem is under my protection. And that includes you. Kelski still needs a guard. Now more than before. And I need you to do that while I rest. But if you intend to harm anyone here, you will suffer my fury. Even if I should fall to your blade, I will ensure that you’re scared for life in that battle. It may only be a needle, but I’ve learned the best places to put it.”

Kynier stared hard into the warrior’s eyes to enforce the intent of his words. Now it was best to lower the tension before he lost himself to his injuries and exhaustion. “Ren,” he said without looking away from the warrior before him. “You should change into your other skin and sleep at Kelski’s feet tonight. I think she would appreciate waking up surrounded by those she cares about.” Kynier took a step backwards from the warrior, and pointed at him with his unarmed hand. “You should sleep in your own room. To the others, you’re a stranger. And in the days to come you will need to explain to them what has happened here.”

Kynier
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Kelski on September 6th, 2018, 3:14 am

Kelski was too far gone, exhausted, to deal with the situation that was unfolding in The Gem. She was curled around Ebon who had shifted into his Night Lion form across the bed and was sound asleep with her head pillowed on his lionfish flank. The lion was licking her shoulder carefully, his paws flexing into the mattress as he purred a soothing tune. His purr was so loud, Kelski couldn’t even hear the argument unfold in the next room, though Little Rhaus’ music did surround her as well.

Little Rhaus kept playing, infusing the serene tune with calm. All these people were strangers to him, but he didn’t think the big Akalak was evil. The man’s hands could have crushed him like he was made of powder, but he had set him gently aside and scooted him out of the way. That spoke volumes to Little Rhaus who just wanted to see everyone get along.

The statue watched both men, eyes glancing between them, even as Ren spoke and said words that seemed sensible enough to the magical creature. Little Rhaus kept playing, but he added his own words to Ren’s voice.

Musical, almost lyrical, what he said fit the music as if the words were lyrics. “She said if she got here it was a place of peace… that we’d be safe. Neither of you are acting like this is a safe place. I just want to be safe. So does she. I’ve not known her long but I think she is worthy of peace. Every living thing is. Please… stop this fighting. Can’t we all get some rest and healing… this man here seems to need it.” Little Rhaus said, gesturing at Kynier… “And talk all of this out in the morning?” He said, gesturing into the far room.

“No one should sword fight in a bathing chamber…. No one.” He said, shaking his little ceramic head, stroking his lute one more time, and then slinging it back on his back. He stroked his beard, and then turned and walked in a click click click march back towards the Master Suite where the lion and eagle were curled together. If nothing else, he’d play for them all night because he liked animals, especially Kelvics, and they made more sense to him than humans and giant blue men ever could.
They laugh at me because I am different.
I laugh at them because they are all the same.

Painted Sky Jewelry (The Wildlands) | Crossroads Jewelry (The Outpost)
Kelski
Freedom is earned. Fight for it.

Words: 2015452
Joined roleplay: July 3rd, 2014, 11:08 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (2)
Mizahar Grader (1) Trailblazer (1)
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Sunberth Seasonal Challenge (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Kynier on October 19th, 2018, 1:59 pm

The silence had lingered for a moment, only disturbed by the last few notes that the animated idol had performed before leaving. Watching Vel’s body language, Kynier felt more certain that there would not be a battle tonight. Especially after the words that had been spoken by the idol. Rest was something that was ready to force itself upon the mage. He took a step towards the bedroom and sheathed his short sword in a slow and careful motion, so that Vel couldn’t mistake his intention. “It may not be tomorrow, but we will talk more about what has occurred here tonight. Go to your room now, please.”

The Akalak’s eyes betrayed a serious contemplation for several moments. Eventually, he took his leave and left the master suite entirely. Kynier closed the door behind the Akalak and did something he had never done before at the Midnight Gem. He locked the door. Once he did, all the built-up tension in his body suddenly left and he swayed on his feet. Ren steadied him and assisted in removing his gear and boots. “Thank you, Ren. I feel that it would be best if we all shared the bed tonight.” The ocelot did not give any argument to the proposal. Once Kynier had his shirt removed Ren saw his wound and immediately went back to the bath chamber for a medical wrap.

Once he had been bandaged by the Kelvic, Ren shifted and took her place on the bed. Little Rhuas had begun a new tune. This one was slower in pace, if that were even possible, and blanketed the room with a peaceful energy. Kelski’s head rested on Ebon’s flank, and the night lion watched Kynier approach the bed. While Kynier wanted to take Kelski and hold her close, something in Ebon’s eye told him that that was not going to be allowed. The place that Kynier took on the bed was low enough to not set his head against Ebon in any way.

With the pillows buried beneath the night lion, Kynier rested his head on his bent arm. His other hand reached out and took Kelski’s. The feeling of her skin gave him assurance. Enough that once his body was still his eyelids fell like anvils. Before the end of his next breath, Kynier was asleep. One that would last for well over a day.

Kynier
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Kynier on October 19th, 2018, 2:46 pm

Grades!

Aer
If you decide to return, PM me for your grade.

Kelski
Skill Rewards
  • Endurance +3
  • Persuasion +1
  • Unarmed Combat +1

Lores Learned
  • Aer’wyn: Called himself Vellisius
  • Observation: The taste of the real Kynier’s blood
  • Self: Considers Kynier home

Ren
If you decide to return, PM me for your grade.

Kynier
Skill Rewards
  • Endurance +3
  • Interrogation +1
  • Intimidation +1
  • Leadership +4
  • Socialization +1

Lores Learned
  • Leadership: Keeping people from turning on each other
  • Leadership: Standing up to a superior threat
  • Observation: Believing more than your sense of sight

If you have any questions or concerns about your grade please feel free to PM me.
Kynier
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Previous