PM to join [The Drunken Fish] Business As Usual (Crylon)

Kelski is working on a business deal and meets a person new to the city.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A lawless town of anarchists, built on the ruins of an ancient mining city. [Lore]

Moderator: Morose

[The Drunken Fish] Business As Usual (Crylon)

Postby Kelski on December 15th, 2018, 9:25 pm

Timestamp: 66th of Winter, 518 A.V.

The four people sat at the tavern's corner table discussing business openly in quiet voices. Two men were contractors that the Kelvic had worked with before. They’d both remodeled her jewelry store and had built her stable in the late fall. But she wasn’t done. Davyd Rodgers and Ergus Rodgers were taking notes carefully on parchment with inked quills while a third woman, Sastivas sat with what looked like a contract.

Kelski slide a sack filled with coins to Sastiva – one of Goldfinger’s agents – and in return the woman passed her the contract which she signed in duplicate and passed half of it back. The woman smiled pleased and then gestured to the two contractors. “You can build whatever you want on it…. now that it’s yours.” She added and Kelski smiled, glancing back at the contractors. They both nodded, looking up from their notes.

“It looks like what you want is going to cost more than you have, Kelski.” Davyd said plainly. The Kelvic nodded, not surprised by this. “In essence you want to build a tavern, add in a kitchen, and put in a space that people can do events from. This is more like an Inn, than anything else. Lets break down the cost. First level… 1 Simple Tavern, 1 Simple Stables (double sq.footage), 1 Servants' Quarters, 1 Simple Storage, 1 Elaborate Kitchen (basement), 5 Simple Bedrooms. The second level will be 5 Simple Bedrooms. Total Cost: 8,700 gm + 400 gm for basement built with wood + 2000 gm for second level built with wood, an office at 200 gm and a dining hall for 1500 gm = 12,800 (-25% or 3,200) for a total of 9,600 GM. And its going to take us a while to start building it.” Kelski nodded.

“And I just bought the land, which was a thousand. So… that means I need to come up with the 9,600 GM. How much do you need down to start on it?” Kelski asked, curious.

The men put their heads together and looked thoughtful. “We’d need half down to start, and the other half when you take possession of the finished property. So, 4,800 GM.” He said firmly. Kelski nodded. “And when do you have time to start? I know you have other projects.” The Kelvic added, glancing at Sastiva who only smiled. The Assistant was glad to see another business in Sunberth, but was not inclined to offer Kelski another loan. The Kelvic was too good at paying them back and since Goldfinger could not default on people that paid in full, he really made no profit off of those who were good to their word.

“We can start around the end of Winter. We have two other big projects and if they don’t get delayed then. In the mean time you’ll need to clear rubble off the property, lay out where you want the building to be, and draw up plans on it. We don’t frankly think you have time to do all of this yourself, so you might consider hiring a project manager to oversee the initial stages and someone who will talk at length with you to know what exactly you want so when we do break ground and start building we have access to them whenever we need a decision made.” Ergus suggested.

Kelski nodded.

“I’ll find someone. And I’ll have the first half by the end of the season. Will you please put me on your schedule? I will have the coin to you before you are ready to start so you can supply yourself with materials like usual.” Kelski said, looking thoughtful.

Both men agreed, and then they too handed over a document which Kelski borrowed their quill to sign in duplicate. Keeping one of the two pages, she passed the document back over to the contractors and smiled. At that point, all three rose, two shook her hand, while Sastiva took a moment to hug the Kelvic. “I think you are doing the right thing. The land next to The Midnight Gem has been vacant a great deal, and another place for people to gravitate towards will be welcome. Maybe with this part of the city slowly cleaning up, others will think to do the same and maybe everything will get a bit better.” Sastiva said gently, giving Kelski a wave as the trio headed out of the tavern.

Kelski sat there a moment later, opening the documents she’d carefully folded when the ink had dried and re-read them. “A manager, huh? I need to find a project manager… and someone not minding getting their hands dirty in order to get the site ready….” The Kelvic shook her head, not knowing who else she knew that might want a job or would be inclined to work a job for a living rather than steal or cut throats as was Sunberthian habit. Sighing, she refolded the parchment, looked around, and tried to decide what was on her agenda for the rest of the day. This business was secured and the land held in her hands firmly. She also had a tentative timeline for the project, so the next step would take time but would also give her something to look forward too in the future.
They laugh at me because I am different.
I laugh at them because they are all the same.

Painted Sky Jewelry (The Wildlands) | Crossroads Jewelry (The Outpost)
Kelski
Freedom is earned. Fight for it.

Words: 2015452
Joined roleplay: July 3rd, 2014, 11:08 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (2)
Mizahar Grader (1) Trailblazer (1)
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Sunberth Seasonal Challenge (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Crylon Stonecraft on December 16th, 2018, 10:39 pm

66 Winter 518

Crylon had not been in Sunberth long, and had yet to venture far from the docks. He was slowly expanding his explorations, but he had soon learned that the city was not safe by any measure and careful preparation and caution was required before exploring any new area. In time he did not doubt he would learn of the city in detail, but for now he was familiar with little more than the tavern of the fish who had become inebriated.

Heading inside Crylon paid the few coppers for an ale, and headed to an empty table. As always when he had been there, the tavern was busy, with a great mass of human flesh moving about, talking, fighting, drinking, and fighting some more. On his way to a table he saw a man quickly quaff a mug of ale, before promptly smashing it over the man sitting beside hims head and tackling him to the ground. The rest at the table did not seem to even bat an eye, continuing to sip their ales at a more measured pace.

While the two fought one of the other men seated surreptitiously snaked out an arm to take the half drunk ale from where the man who had been tackled had sat.

Finally Crylon found a seat not far from the corner, hearing somewhat hushed conversations from a group at a table undertaking much more civil discussions.

As he sat and began to sip at his ale Crylon noticed the piles of paper on the table, noticeable in the bar when compared to the rest of its inhabitants. He was not sure most of the others even knew how to read, let alone how to write more than a mark for their name.

He also noticed the jingle of coins as a sack was pushed across the table, but lost much of what was said after that as the earlier scuffle came to its crescendo.

"Build... Want... Yours..."

Common was not Crylon's first tongue, but he could understand it a bit better than he spoke it. He assumed from what he heard and the coins passing hands that something was being bought... Land? A building? This was of course interesting to Crylon, though not immediately relevant.

Crylon's ears began to pick up the conversation again as numbers and parts were listed off, and a note from the one man about it taking awhile to build, or to even start doing so. From what he did hear, it seemed a sizable structure.

After that he began to hear more, as they spoke on what was needed doing. He did not get all of it, but he got the main thrust. Clearing the land, plotting out the land for the buildings to be placed, and drawing up blueprints for the actual structures. It also seemed the woman who was having the building made did not know how to do this, or did not have the time to do so. Or both.

Considering he was trying to find a job doing something not too far from that, helping design and build structures in the Sunberthian style, this was of course interesting even more to him. He could not make the plans, was not skilled enough yet to design such a structure, but the other things...

As Crylon finished his ale more talking and signing was done, but it seemed much of their planning was over with.

Most of the members of the table left after this, leaving the woman planning to build a new structure by herself. By herself, she then began to leaf through the papers she'd been given before glancing about the room. For a moment her eyes passed over Crylon, but they did not pause in their sweep.

Taking one last swig and resting the drained mug on the table, Crylon rose to his feet and headed for the woman's table. At the moment he was not overly dressed, wearing only his pants and boots. He would have preferred going barefoot, but did not trust the city to not leave something in his path that might pierce even his tough skin if stepped upon.

Compared to the woman he was short, coming in just barely at five foot. His more distinctive feature though was his left arm, the limb looking like a cross between metal and black onyx, or both, but still alive and functional and more resilient than even Isurian Steel.

And of course of note was his bluish tinged skin and bright silver raised veins crisscrossing his body like tiny snakes. This was even more prominent on his left arm when combined with the black background.

Short cut bluish black hair, with a few days growth on his face, Crylon felt his appearance combined to give off an aura of seriousness and competency. This combined with his using his own name and his family name would he felt be a good way of putting his best foot forward.

At least it would be to anyone who understood such Isurian customs, and the meaning of giving more than ones first name. Which might not include this person.

“I... Apologizes, Common not first tongue... I Crylon Stonecraft. I hear you speaking, looking to build. This I know do. What not know, I learn. Am interested, if you hiring. Would need plan made, to follow, but can help. Can build, can help with follow plan. You needing of help?”
Crylon Stonecraft
Player

Words: 679695
Joined roleplay: June 2nd, 2018, 4:26 am
Race: Isur
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 4
Featured Thread (2) Mizahar Grader (1)
Overlored (1)

Postby Kelski on December 16th, 2018, 11:09 pm

Kelski looked up when the stranger’s shadow crossed between her table and the fire. The hand not holding the documents slipped down to a dagger tucked at the small of her back. However, once her eyes focused on the form of the Isur, she relaxed a little. He wasn’t human. And he didn’t hesitate in introducing himself. His accent was a great deal like Duncan’s so Kelski had no trouble following his words.

“Please, have a seat, Crylon. It's nice to meet you.” She said thoughtfully, still trying to process all the Isur had said. She studied him intently, took in his black arm, and recalled what Duncan had taught her of the clans and how each one had different arms. This man was a Peethreeus? Pithras? She was certain of it because the colors didn’t lie, though she couldn’t remember the correct way to pronounce the word. The Kelvic offered him a smile and looked down at her papers.

“I’m familiar with your people. In fact, I live with an Isur who works at my business. He is a good friend. He’s a Vyyzaariun. You’re a Peethreeus? He’s taught me about Izurdin and how he created your people. I like his stories. It sounds like you come from a beautiful place full of rich… culture?” The Kelvic struggled with how to put into words how Duncan had described Sultros. “I am looking for a Project Manager for a project that will start near the end of the season, but I cannot finance its beginning until the beginning of the next season so the ground breaking will be in the Spring. There will be a lot to do before then, so there will be a job position open, for sure… what have you built?” Kelski asked, not minding that it seemed Crylon had overheard their conversation.

They were in a tavern, after all, not the private offices of the contractor or of Goldfingers, and some races had extraordinary hearing. Kelski was well familiar with that for her sight was far better than most humans. “I’m Kelski. I just bought some land… just now actually… in Baroque Bay in order to expand my business interests there. I was thinking of opening a sort of gathering place, a club for people to exchange ideas, have a drink or a bite to eat, and host events like weddings or parties.” Kelski added, not sure if she was speaking clearly enough.

She’d slowed her words down and was taking care to pronounce everything slightly slower than normal in case Crylon wasn’t exactly conversational in Common. She should bother Duncan to learn some language lessons in Isur. At least enough to maybe help out if something got lost in translation between the two of them.

“If you have the skills to do something like this, what kind of salary would you like?” Kelski asked, not sure what sort of funding a project manager required. “I could offer room and board as well if you’d like a place to stay. It would be a private room, and there’s a barn if you have a mount, but it also requires active participation in the upkeep of the place and a rotation of cooking and cleaning.” The Kelvic said, knowing that was a deal breaker for some. “You can work and live offsite, though there is no bonus for that. I’m a jeweler, you see… and I am often busy with my shop making inventory.” Kelski added, nodding to the waitress to come over and see if Crylon needed anything to drink. She herself took a refill of her wine and another plate of cheese and bread. The Kelvic was constantly nibbling and usually hungry. It was well past her time to break fast and sometimes she got snarly when she got too hungry.

Kelski

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Crylon Stonecraft on December 17th, 2018, 2:58 am

Crylon was happy to find that the human had manners, offering him a seat and for them to continue speaking. Crylon of course took the offered seat, not at all surprised that the woman would be interested in him and his aid in her work.

This was starkly juxtaposed against many of the other humans around the tavern, which by most definitions were feral. Turning on each other, fighting, destroying rather than building.

Crylon sat stoically, back straight, as she examined him. It was something he was used to in humans, not used to seeing Isur all of the time, and so he simply allowed it to happen and waited for it to pass and for them to continue their discussion. He was surprised somewhat though when he found out that not only had the woman met Isur before, but that the Isur had told her of their clans and other such things best discussed among Isur.

He was not sure if the other assumed Isur, not that they could easily be mistaken for anything else or something else could be confused for them, had told her wrong or she simply mis-remembered the facts.

He supposed though if this other person had told her so much of the Isur, she was a trusted friend of this Isur... Which meant perhaps Crylon should trust her as well.

It had never occurred to him to tell a human he had met in his travels such things, nor had he met anyone who he felt had earned such things. It was one thing to discuss work, crafting, making... But their culture, their intricacies... If nothing else it made Crylon question this other Isur.

A visible cringe came to his face at her attempt at speaking their clan names. Slowly Crylon let out a breath, taking in a new one just as slowly but until his lungs fully expanded, trying to let the emotion wash over and out of him. He was quickly able to school his expression before responding to her.

“Is... Ah... Not quite... Is Pitrius. And believe... Vizerian.”

Perhaps this other Isur was more trusting simply? Or thought to convert her, and so told her more deeply of their people than normal? It did explain some things, if he was a Vizerian as she said, and he thought to convert her to Izurdin.

“Is place great beauty. Much different here, in human lands. Began learn build there. Most recent... In Ravok, help rebuild, plan rebuild, damage from freeze. Not begun design own yet, but will some day. For now... Assist, help. Learn make, learn put together better. Much learn. But is why here, learn.”

As Crylon spoke he was clearly at times having trouble and would pause to find the correct word to explain himself. Sometimes this would be for a few moments, but once or twice it was a good half chime before he was ready to move into his next sentence. He was better with technical terms, but fluid speaking and concepts were much trickier. Trickier perhaps than anything but turns of phrases and non-literal wordings.

He noted her name, Kelski, storing it away. He also noted that she seemed to be making a genuine attempt to communicate clearly, slowing her words compared to before when speaking with the other humans. This was of course of great help, helping to avoid having her repeat things or for him to miss things in passing.

“Sounds good place... Very different from here. Different... Customer, here. These people, many like break more than build. Sound like place to build, not break. Break easy, build not so. Not many places here, yes, for people build? More place like this, people who break.”

As the question of pay came up, Crylon pondered. This was, he knew, where the negotiation began, and his first offer would strongly affect things either for ill or good. Too high, and she would lose interest. Too low, and he would not be paid his worth and she would question why he was offering so low. Finally he settled on what he had been offered back in Ravok, as a starting point at least.

“For start? Six gold mizas a day, for start. Once learn more, get better, can do more, more then? Yes? Not expect pay more till offer more. I will learn, do more, but take time. And can stay on site if wish. No place now, just arrive days ago. Can help keep up. Fix. have tools. Will clean, if tell what do. Not cook fore, not know, but help if need. No ride, just Crylon now.”

At her mention of her own work, making jewelry, a small smile crossed Crylon's lips. Perhaps another reason the other Isur had told her some things, if she was another maker of things.

“You know of Izurdin, you say, other Isur tell? You do, you make, make of jewels and metal. Is gift of Izurdin, the making. Small gift for all. To make, is worship of Izurdin. I build, is show worship too. All make, is show to him, of gift he given.”

Seeing the person who worked at the tavern return, Crylon recalled that he himself was hungry. He ordered a loaf of bread to sate the worst of his hunger, and another ale to wash it down with. Unlike Ravok with clean water throughout the entire lake, clean water was not so easy to find in Sunberth. The ale though seemed clean, and filling enough combined with some food.

“I know better, to plan, to help plan, than build. Still learning of to build, but will learn. I build, get better, I learn. I also make, of metal. Hammer. Not jewels, as you, but make with metal. Iron. Hammer metal to make. Smith. Is do before build.”
Crylon Stonecraft
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Kelski on December 27th, 2018, 9:10 pm

Kelski tilted her head and nodded. “Yes, Pitrius. Vizerian. I’m sorry, your language is new to me. Duncan is a Hammer of Isurdin, and he’s very kind to answer my questions about other places, other cultures. But I haven’t worked on my language. My apologies for the mispronunciation.” Kelski said softly, leaning forward to catch the rest of his words. He wasn’t without common, it was just that he had a strange accent and his words were more truncated and less flowy making listening require more attention.

Ah. He was a student. He didn’t design much on his own yet, but he was good at assisting in projects. Kelski nodded, understanding what the Isur meant immediately. She was also glad he spoke carefully, otherwise she’d have lost his meaning multiple times.

“The whole of the world is beautiful, but sometimes when you put humans in it, they turn it ugly. I don’t honestly trust humans that much… not at all in fact. They are creatures of great greed and self-absorption. They do not treat my people, the Kelvics, very well at all. You will find they will be hard on your people as well. And yes, they do like to destroy. I think perhaps sometimes they are a plague upon the world with their destructive tendencies. I want to make a place of beauty people can appreciate and maybe show them that there can be honest business in this rough part of the world.” She said softly, not sure if it was a fools dream or not. But the truth was, she wanted to do something with her income with The Midnight Gem and what she did would provide jobs and a place maybe to give hope to others.

She wasn’t sure if she knew what he was saying at the next part. He wanted six miza’s a day, he was handy, could clean, didn’t want to cook she thought? But he’d help if it need… no ride? Did that mean he had no horse? Just Crylon. He was alone? Kelski was quiet for a moment, and looked thoughtful.

“How about five this season, for a trial, with free board and you help with cleaning… help with cooking only if you want. You will have to take turns getting groceries… shopping. But everyone does. And at the beginning of next season, depending on how you did this season, I’ll give you a raise to at least six mizas.” That way she was being smart. If he stuck around, did a great job, she’d reflect that in his pay and probably in a bonus.

But what he said about Izurdin gave her pause. She tilted her head, looked thoughtful once more and slowly nodded. “I never thought of it that way, but its true. Crafting… Creating… is in a way honoring. I did not think of it that way. It is indeed a act of faith and devotion, of … worship. I see what you mean. I follow Akajia, Crylon. She is the Goddess of The Night, of Secrets, of Shadows and Stealth. She’s marked me as hers and I learn from her. I learn for her. She teaches me to see beyond the known, beyond the obvious, and to ask questions, to be curious, to listen to my feelings, my heart, and follow my instinct. I think she appreciates Kelvics.” Kelski said softly, smiling slightly.

“I taught Duncan a bit about her in exchange for knowledge of Izurdin. I also have a very good friend that follows Rhaus. He’s the God of Music and Poetry… and my friend is something of a bard. You’ll meet him if you join us. I think… I think following The Gods is important. I think knowing of them… Knowledge itself… is very important.” She was trying to tell him she was a scholar. That she loved to learn, but she wasn’t sure if it came through… if she was being clear.

“So much knowledge was lost when humans tried to wreck the world. The more we know now... the more we learn or relearn… the better the world will be. Even in places like this full of humans and their brutality and greed. We can make it… better?” She said softly. Would he think her a dreamer? A fool? He might. But it was best he know who he was taking employment from.

When the server returned, Kelski asked to have her wine filled again, and though it was winter, there was still fruit and she asked for some. The woman left to get her order and Crylon’s ale and bread. When Crylon confessed he was something of a smith, Kelski brightened.

“I’m learning Metalsmithing too, as part of my job. I have a small forge in my workshop but there’s room for a Smithy off the stable if we had someone who could build one and knew enough about bigger ones to do so. I know forges aren’t complex, but its labor intensive… moving and arranging stone. Is that something you could do? It’s something I’d be willing to pay extra for if its something you might be able to create. We’re always looking for things we can improve about The Gem, and we’ll be saving so much money if we can forge our own fasteners and hardware building the new building.” Then Kelski laughed and shook her head.

“Nevermind, that forge is something we probably should leave to the future. One thing at a time. I have been planning… a lot. Looking towards what will make tomorrow easier, more secure. I know Duncan said something about a forge too. I think you Isur love your metalworking. It is your people, after all, that bring the best of it to the world. I’ve seen some stuff, rarely, but I’ve seen it… traded in the market.” Kelski said, shaking her head admiringly.

“And now that makes sense…. that forging… that creating and crafting… is an act of worship. That is beautiful, Crylon.” Kelski would have never thought of it that way. But that was why it was so important to meet new people, talk to them, learn what they thought and knew. Humans were so dead inside in comparison so often. But these people… the Isur… and people like Gilthas… the Eth… they were so different, so much more complex. She wanted to surround herself with them.

“Do you have any other hobbies? Hobbies… things you like to do that aren’t work? I like to fly, to roam to wild places.. I like to explore new things, talk to new people, and read.” Kelski said, not mentioning magic… which was also a growing obsession with her. Magic was never safe to mention in Sunberth. Not ever.

Kelski

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Crylon Stonecraft on December 28th, 2018, 10:40 pm

Crylon nodded in response to Kelski's apology, translation issues being quite understandable to someone who had such issues with most everyone in the city.

He was however surprised to hear that the other Isur was a Hammer. He knew enough of them to know it was a respected occupation, though it left him wondering what a Hammer was doing in Sunberth and so far from Sultros... What need would they have to be here? He was not aligned with any organizations, and so had that freedom, but a Hammer... It left him with more questions than answers.

The more she talked the more Crylon found himself surprised. Like learning that she was not, as he had first thought, a human. She was apparently in fact a Kelvic, one of those animal persons he had heard of and met on occasion but did not fully understand. They were not so common in the Kingdom, and he had not had much time to meet them since he had left.

“Many humans, yes, are such. But not all. Each own. Have seen good and bad of all. I still have hope. Hope for good. See good. Help build good. Seems you want build, have hope to, or not try, yes? Seek dark, will only find dark. But if look for light, will find light.”

As the negotiations progressed it was clear the Kelvic was considering his offer, mulling it over and weighing it as a skill negotiator. Or at least more skilled than Crylon. But still he was trying, was learning, and would he knew only get better the more he practiced.

“Five this season, start work tomorrow. If do good, more later. Yes, agree. Clean. Fix. And will cook if others eat but... No know how, so may better I help not do, til learn if must. Maybe if someone teach, show, can do more.”

Groceries took him a moment, only somewhat clarified by shopping. After a few moments though and backing up in the conversation, he understood from the context she meant buying or shopping for food.

“Can get food, if know what get, and if know where go. Now, new city, not know where stuff at. But if someone show, can do yes.”

As he discussed Izurdin, he was glad to see her actually consider his words and their deeper meaning. If nothing else she seemed open minded, good at listening, and ready to consider other views. He was not familiar with her Gods, but he supposed he would learn of them in time. He was also not surprised to hear that she was marked by Gods, seeming to be the type of person who would garner such interest. Not some simpleton or passerby simply letting life take them where or as it would.

“Akja. Secrets. Not sun... Night... Not know of her fore. Or Rowse. I try sing fore, not good. Still new. Not much learned on music. Bard... Is maker music?”

While he had spent a good bit of time learning and using more technical things in common from his life and work, many specific words in other areas were still new to him. Many he could understand or puzzle out from context, but not always.

“I learner us well. Is life, to learn. Isur people of action. We learn. We grow. We make. We do. Not people who sit still. Not people who not do. Is Sunberth have place of learning? Place of... School? Or... Books?”

“Always hope more. Always try build. If give up, never made. If let others do, they not. Sometimes do self to get do. But must have goal, to hope to get to, or not happen. Not all humans good, but not all bad. Many worth hope, many worth try. If not think so, not here. Is why here. Otherwise be home, not in human lands.”

When he heard that Kelski was interested in his own craft, working metal, he was gladdened. Working metal was an innate part of being Isurian. Something that was best done by them, but not only done by them. But also, it was something they all knew, something they learned from a young age.

“If want, can make smithy. Maybe better make though, before make building, as you say. If not in hurry to make building, maybe make better. Make easier, if can make own. Not know how now, and some stuff will need buy. Anvil, tools, things. Supplies. But if get directions, see other made in town, maybe can build own. You know where other smithy, can see? Or where might have writing... Plans, on how make?”

The idea of having a forge in his home, or where he was staying, was a tempting one. In Sultros...

“Sulltros, where from, many forges. Family has own forge. Is place of making, but also place of worship, of Izurdin. Forge like... Forge like his temple, in way. Would like see one make, help make.”

As their talking tapered off, the conversation turned from more business like matters to less so ones. More personal. And more difficult for him to answer.

“Hobbies... Make do not work... I do... Learn. I like learn well us you. Also like see places, go places not others go or see. Like make shapes on things, though not do much yet... Call... Cut on things? Uh... Not sure... Is make design on, but not in shape of thing. Just to look at. Cut in...”

“But like you say, many things forgotten, many things lost. Many thing not liked others, things against or not interested in learn. But I think... Think all knowing, learning, good. Knowing, is all tools. Learn new thing, new tool. Tool not bad, not good, just tool. Tool can make, or hurt, or unmake. Or hurt self. Is how use. I like gathering new tools. More tools, more options. Options good. Give more choices.”
Crylon Stonecraft
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Kelski on December 30th, 2018, 5:15 pm

She could see Crylon deep in thought. It was tough negotiating with someone who only spoke the language sparingly and was from another race other than the humans she was used too. He had values she didn’t have or was privy too, and the most she listened the more she learned of his ethics which she actually liked. Kelski was somewhat stuck on his ideals. The thought kept moving through her of him explaining to her, however awkwardly, that action could be prayer or worship. It was a hefty topic for two people that just met. And he had an idealism that spoke of perhaps him not being in Sunberth long. He had hope for humans, that there were both good and bad. Kelski knew Crylon was right, but lately there had been far more bad than good, and the rare good ones she ran across always seemed to come up tainted.

Did she have hope? Not really. She just wanted to better the neighborhood, make a bit more profit, maybe clean up part of Sunberth to prove to people it could be done. Was that hope? Maybe? She longed to ask Crylon what he considered hope, but she was afraid it would be too deep of a conversation for their limited vocabulary and newly met acquaintanceship. And honestly, for all the language barrier, they were doing fairly well.

When he agreed to five, she raised an eyebrow and nodded. “That sounds great. Five it is. I can show you the site when we finish here. It’s a short walk, here in Baroque Bay. And show you the housing I spoke of. Its actually close as well. I will provide you additional funding too, to hire a clean up crew and to start some basic projects on the site.” She added, knowing it was just a few businesses over and he’d understand the additional moneys when he got there. Ruins in Sunberth were common. She’d walk him through the lot, and he’d get a bit bigger of an idea of what was needed. She’d also discuss giving him a budget for hiring some help – labor mostly – since a lot of the cleaning off of the debris on the property would need to be done by hand and was labor intensive. She wasn’t hiring him for his brute strength. She was hiring him for his mind. Truthfully, she really liked the way the Isur thought.

“We have accounts… prearranged deliveries. We also have vendors in the market we pick up for every five days. I pick up the current order at the beginning of the five-day and drop off a list and the coin for the next order, and give them the five days to put it together. I can show you where, and we have a cart you can take if it’s a large order. Then we usually drop by the butchers and see what is for sale or what he has available. What we don’t buy we hunt. So, it just depends on what we’ve hunted. I also do a lot of foraging… clams, fishing, that sort of thing. I’ll find what you like to eat once I know what it is. I’m learning to get shrimp. Duncan likes those.” Kelski said with a smile.

She smiled at his use of the names of the Goddess’ and Gods’ she’d spoken of. “Yes… bards are music makers, but more than that. They teach, entertain, tell stories. Bards are good to keep around. They have the ability to shift the mood. They also tend to know a lot of history… which a lot of people don’t understand around here. There’s… no place to learn here. I mean… there are places to seek knowledge. I know I’ve found a great deal of knowledge in the Temple of The Unknown. It’s a ruined holy place, but it still holds many many secrets. There are no schools, but I do know of one woman who has a huge collection of books she will let you read, let you copy or you can pay her to copy them. It’s called a library, and I think its something amazing. I’ll show you if you’d like. The owner, Remmy, is pretty amazing.” Kelski said, looking thoughtful. “But there is no school. I’ve lived places where there are. Lhavit had towers where wizards learned magic. People were calmer there, less angry, less willing to take your head for a heel of bread. I think a school here would be a good thing, if people would let one be around long enough.” She said, leaning forward to whisper the part about wizards to Crylon, knowing being overheard might cause trouble. “I’ve never had a problem with magic. Not like some people do here in the city. Those with it often know more, have more learning, than those without it.” She said softly, then sat back up, resuming her normal voice.

“I know what you mean, Crylon… about just doing it because no one else will. I was a slave for a long time. No one tried to save me. No one cared. No one swooped down from the heavens as a God and pulled me out of that misery. I got myself out of it. I never lost sight of freedom. Nor will I ever take advantage of it. I feel the same way about learning. I think we should keep learning always. I know a bit of metalsmithing. I’m competent at it because I’m a jeweler and it sometimes goes hand in hand with the work I do now. But I want to learn more. I have these incredible plans I found….” She said, leaning closer, as if taking him into confidence.

“Its for a spyglass, but not any sort of spyglass. It’s for a spyglass that’s telescoping like they use on the water for under it. I need to make some cylinders for it to work… and I already have the lens. But it looks like an amazing project. I could do it on my small jewelery forge now, but a bigger forge would be so much easier… and I could make it the size the plans call for. I thought it would be amazing to have on a building… just to look around… to keep watch with. I love things like that… projects that are new and stretch my understanding of metal.” She added, smiling brightly, pleased at the idea he might want to make the forge.

“Seriously? Everyone has forges? That’s so amazing. It would make life so much easier too if you could just walk down to your forge to fix something or put an edge back on a blade. Adding a new gate? You’d have the means to make hinges. Do you know how often we need things like that? I can do some of it on my forge, but a jewelry forge is petite, specialized, and you aren’t going to get a blade in there for example for any sort of forging.” She added, looking thoughtful. “I think I would like Sultros.” She said wistfully. She'd also heard that Sultros didn't like strangers, especially non-Isur.

She tried to puzzle out what he was saying, but it was hard. Call, Cut on things? “Do you etch?” She asked, indicating a necklace she was wearing that had little circles etched into its flat back. “Like this?” She asked, tilting her head, puzzled, trying to understand. “Do you engrave maybe?” She said, looking for words, knowing too that if he didn’t know the words already he probably wouldn’t know strange ones she was throwing out.

Kelski finally nodded. The last part she understood. She offered him a smile. “I like making things too. I like making things easier, though not to the degree some people do that invent all sorts of crazy things. I just like hard things easier like a hoe for the garden to have a wrapped handle its not as hard on the hands or a window to swing outwards instead of just be frozen in the side of a building so you can let the breeze in when the slag heap isn’t bellowing smoke.” She added, hoping he understood. “I also love gems. Gemstones are my obsession. I love taking a hunk of what looks like nothing, and cutting and faceting it until its something gleaming and brilliant. It’s the same with metal ore… I love making it into art.. wearable art. Sometimes metal or stone sings to me… like a bard would… and I have to fashion something out of it then.” She added, turning at last to her food. She dug in, wanting to finish that and her wine suddenly so she could take him out of the Drunken Fish and show him both the lot and where he could live if he chose.

“So, do you have any more questions for me? If not, lets eat the rest of this, drink our drinks, and be on our way.” She said, excited now about getting started and glad she’d ran into Crylon and that he had the skills or was willing to learn to manage her build at The Trade Secrets site.

Kelski

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Crylon Stonecraft on December 30th, 2018, 6:52 pm

Crylon nodded, eating his bit of food he had ordered and sipping at his ale as Kelski spoke. She had quite a few things to say, and while she seemed to not like humans she also seemed to have no troubles with Isur.

They had settled on his wages to start for the rest of the season, of course they were closer to the end of the current season than the beginning.

The work site was also apparently not too far, also in the bay, along with where he would be living. That would mean a short commute to and from work. It also appeared she would be giving him some money for other needed purchases to do what he had been hired to do. He would need to buy tools for the work, gloves and things for the workers. Large smashing hammers for tearing things apart. Other things he already had. Hammers, saws, and the like.

He was less sure on hiring a crew, not really sure where to go or who to ask for such a thing. He did not think he would trust many he had seen so far in the city for such a thing... But if nothing else would need to make sure to not pay until the end of the day's work. He considered such things, but until he knew what he was dealing with and needed clearing he knew preparing for it was moot.

From her description it appeared her household had a formalized set up for acquiring supplies, food by his understanding. This would make anything he had to do much simpler, if things were already arranged and she simply needed someone to pick things up.

“If workers eat, may need more food... Will have to see. Not sure who will hire. How many. But will need to see work first, fore else.”

Kelski spoke of a ruined holy place, a library, and other such explanations of the many things he had asked before.

“Library. Yes. Place books. Maybe have some things. Otherwise... Need see other forge, maybe help see how make. But like see, library us well.”

He was a bit surprised to hear her speak of magic, particularly in the way she did. Magic seemed a somewhat forbidden topic in Sunberth, and most of the times he had heard words on it soon after followed curses or violence. It seemed Sunberth in general did not like magic, he was gathering, though he himself had no such issue against it. Nor did this woman. Kelvic. Still when she did say this she did so in rather hushed tones, making it clear she was not advertising these facts. And in the noisy bar, he doubted anyone would overhear beyond their own table.

As she spoke of working metal though, a furrow came to his brow. He was not sure if it was an issue in translation, or perhaps understanding, but she seemed to be speaking of several things as one.

“You mean metal work, like with hammer, smithing? Or metal work, like with... Melt things, form new when cool and harden? I know first, use hammer, not know second, but like learn. If use second, perhaps can better... Reuse metal, scrap? When find in stuff.”

Once more though she seemed to become secretive, telling her of some designs she had found and wanted to make. This time she spoke of some design for a seeing device of some sort. Glasses for water, under it, in it, which could telescope... Extend and un-extend?

Her surprise at most if not all in Sultros having forges seemed odd to him, but so then had it been odd to him when he first came to a human city after leaving Sultros and found them so rare. But then, he supposed, the Isur as a race were all smiths, all knew something of it, combined it with their worship of Izurdin, and so he supposed were more linked with the craft than many others.

“Yes, seems you would like home. Is grand place. Someday I go back, but not yet. Still learning. Still growing. But will some day. We have outer posts... Outposts. Many non-Isur come, trade there. I spend much time there, growing up. Is how learn common, speak to humans.”

As they continued, more issues of communicating did come up, more due to a lack of him knowing the word for something than anything else. But once he heard her use the word, and in context, he was better able to remember and know its meaning and if it wasthe proper one.

Etching... Was using chemicals and things he believe. So not that. Engraving... This sounded more right, though perhaps it would simply be easier to show her.

“Think engrave. Use thing, cut into other thing. Etch different... Engrave I think... Well... Can show, if you find me something simple. Bit of rock, something not worked... Unworked.”

Many of the other things she spoke of he while interested in did not have as much knowledge in. He was unsure what the slag heap was, though from its name it did not sound too nice. Gems, working them, was something he was interested in, though something he had yet to learn to do.

“What heap of the slag? This place? Thing? And mmm... Not know of gems, yet. But would like learn.”

Once the bits he had brought up had been addressed and Kelski questioned him on if he had any other questions he shook his head. By then he had finished the small bit of food he had ordered, and polished off his ale.

“No more questions for now, besides one ask afore. Maybe once see work place, but not till then.”
Crylon Stonecraft
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Kelski on December 30th, 2018, 8:23 pm

Kelski paused when he asked his question. She wasn’t sure exactly what the difference was between smithing and melting things, but she slowed down her words and explained the best she could. “In my Jewelcrafting business, I need to take metal ingots and smelter them into alloys. I often also use silver, bronze, copper, and gold. And gold I can make in various Carats… qualities. I take the ingots and form them into sheets sometimes, or even run them through presses, pouring wire blanks and then stretching the wire over and over making it smaller and smaller until I cut and solder it together making chains. Much of Jewelry Making is metalsmithing just on a small and delicate fragile scale. I want to learn to do bigger things, stronger things, maybe even armor or weapons?” She explained, trying to clear up what she did. “I call it Metalsmithing. But you might use a different term. I can build simple things too, like nails, hinges, even pouring molds from things that already exist… like daggers. Some of that involves pounding the metal with hammers, but small ones…” She added, knowing he probably knew about oil sand casting and did it himself. It was a fairly common procedure and she couldn’t imagine the Isur doing it vastly differently.

“Maybe someday I can visit Sultros too. Do they let Kelvics go there?” She asked, knowing that sometimes visitors were not welcome to such places. But sometimes they were. It never hurts to ask.” She said with a smile.

She was happy to find out he engraved. It was one skill she hadn’t picked up but could be really useful for a jeweler. “I don’t know how to do that. I would love to learn some engraving in exchange for you learning something of gemcutting and jewelcrafting?” She said, offering to trade lessons if he liked. If he didn’t, she’d certainly see how well he engraved and if he did a great job, she’d contract work out to him when she wasn’t skilled enough to do so or had no time. It was something she’d bring up later though, when they knew each other better and she saw how he worked. He might not be human, but that didn’t mean she wouldn’t trust him with everything immediately. Trust took time.

His question about the slag heap took her off guard. She looked thoughtful and wondered who had told her first about it. “To the south of the city, on the coast, is a bunch of …. Mine tailings. I don’t know what you’d call them. The Earth they dig out of the ground when they tunnel under it… and the leftovers they have once they pull ore from earth?” She said the statement more of a question, hoping she wouldn’t lose him completely in trying to explain it. “It’s a huge thing, as large as a small mountain, and its on fire. It’s been burning as long as Sunberth has existed. Maybe longer. I’m not certain. But they citizens here call it The Slag Heap.” She added. “It’s why the city is so smoky sometimes, with the hair so hazy and brown its hard to breathe.” The Sea Eagle said thoughtfully. The Slag Heap burning was something of a mystery to everyone. And the place itself did not hold good memories for her.

“Well, no more questions? Let’s go then.” She said, rising after taking the last drink of her wine, and beckoned to him. If Crylon followed, Kelski would cheerfully lead him out of the Drunken Fish and down the street. It was a _very_ short trip. The next building on the street way out on the point was a Jewelery Store with a black gemstone hanging on a large shingle outside of it. She pointed at the path leading to the shop as they passed it by. The building was a brick and beam two story massive thing. The lower story had big beautiful windows with bars across them and pots of flowers outside cheerfully welcoming visitors. It was obvious the back of the store opened up onto the beach. “We’ll visit there last. That’s my place… The Midnight Gem. And the room I offered is above it, which is fairly large as it is. Below, in the basement, is a training quarters for… the health of the body. We practice fighting and defending ourselves there. There are places to exercise and sooth the tension of the day there.” She replied, not sure how she could describe a workout room or sparring space for Crylon. He didn’t look particularly violent or bristling with weapons, but then again, he did look incredibly physically fit.

It was the next lot over that held her interest for the moment. Like the Midnight Gem’s lot, this one held an acre of land with it as well. There were no structures per say on it, other than the bones of what was once a big house or business that had long since fallen to ruin. Kelski opened a gate to the place, which was funny since there was no fence to give the gate any impact at all, and escorted Crylon onto the premises. What there was, instead, was a bunch of debris, trash, the remains of a stone wall, and assorted other abandoned detritus. “I’d like the stone wall around the property rebuilt so we can add some gardens in later if we’d like. The main building will be basically the same footprint as the old foundation and the ruins of what is already here, but we need to sit down and draw up some plans and evaluate some costs. Otherwise, this place simply needs cleaned up and perhaps a small workroom/storage shed for tools or something otherwise brought in to secure things." Kelski said, pausing to take a breath.

She continued on after a chime and a breath. "Since The Midnight Gem is so close, we can store a lot in the stables or even in the main house if we need too. So that shed might not be as pressing as I am suggesting. I’d like the lot cleared, debris removed, the green stuff cleared back to just grass and the main trees, and from there we evaluate what we have going. In the meantime, plans need to be drawn up, workers hired, and costs evaluated as well as materials priced. We’ll need a list of tools if the contractors can’t supply them, and probably a good old-fashioned comparison if we hire this done or if we build a crew and complete the project ourselves.” She added, knowing it would nice to have some sort of command central – at least a covered area with a work table and a place to put plans, sketches, and a chalk board for notes or something. She wasn’t sure what Crylon thought or wanted. Now that they were on site looking, he might have other ideas.

“What do you think?” She asked, hopeful he saw the same potential on the property she did.
Last edited by Kelski on December 30th, 2018, 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kelski

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Crylon Stonecraft on December 30th, 2018, 11:37 pm

Crylon shook his head in response to her explanation of working metal. He then paused for several moments, searching for the right words, before launching into as best an explanation as he could. Admittedly it was somewhat basic, as while he had a basic idea of metal and how it was worked, the specifics and intricacies of other forms were lost on him. But he knew enough of the first to know what he did not know of the second, at least to a degree. He was as much connecting his understanding to what she had said as informing her of something he already knew.

“Differ. Not same. Is... Two... Techniques. One, is use hammer, blacksmithing. Is put metal in forge, heat up, make flexible. Bend, shape. Then cool. With other... Much hotter. Make metal like liquid, pour into shape as you said. Cool. Differ. Not same. I know how to smith, use hammer, not other. If mixing metals, make liquid and mix, think that this other thing, not same. Is difference of how hot need, of how do, and tools use. I know little second, not do fore, just hear of. What forms you use, how make, to pour into?”

Pausing for a moment, Crylon had to consider her meaning from before further.

“Is you want smithy, forge, like for first? Is forge, anvil, and hammers and things. This other, what tools, parts, things, it use? Think not same. Can maybe make first, if see another made, but if you wanting second place, not sure how make.”

With the mention of Sultros, Crylon smiled, but a less sure and free of a smile.

“Ah, maybe. Some places in Sultros, let non-Isur. Some places in Sultros, not let non-Isur. Some places not let, may let if with Isur. But other places, if not Isur never let go. Depends on who with, and who are. But maybe if with Isur, could see some of. Isur... Protective, of home. Not let outsiders see some places.”

At firs their conversation had been a give and take, back and forth. But it seemed the last few questions and responses had been nothing but him either admitting how much he did not know, and asking her to explain something. When she brought up engraving, it seemed this was another one of those things.

“Ah, only learning, of to grave. Only try few times. And not try with tools. Cut with arm, stone. Use nails, to grave in.”

Realizing that Kelski might not fully understand how his arm worked, and that therefore the explanation he had given on engraving might not make sense, Crylon tried to expand upon his explanation. He started by gesturing with his left arm, the black one, patting it once with his other arm.

“Special arm, not just color. Is... Work different, with things. Touch by Izurdin, lets things not can do with normal arm. With arm, take not worked stone, not worked wood and... Can shape, similar clay. I use nails, cut, grave in. Detail. Not try much, not as good as with tools. Simple. Like work of clay, not pretty. But get job done. Only work with certain things, usually not worked stuff. Like wood. Stone. Metal if heat first.”

When Keslki got around to explaining the slag heap, his eyes widened. Growing up in Sultros he had a very basic understanding of mining as well, his people being miners as well as crafters, for where else would they get the stone and metal needed for their buildings and craftings? He had not realized though that Sunberth was that heavily mined, perhaps even a town of mines. Self consciously Crylon looked down at the ground, as if he thought that should he step to hard just then the ground would open up and a mine shaft collapse to suck in the building.

But logically if they had mined the town, under it, and dug so much that the bits they kicked up to the surface were a small mountain of its own... Then the tunneling and mining had to be quite extensive, egregiously so.

“I see. Is mining. Lots of mining. Mining here. Did not know. Is something consider.”

Letting out a sigh, Crylon rose, following along with Kelski to the work site. Leaving the bar they turned and headed down the street... And to his surprise almost immediately arrived at their destination. Which, Crylon recalled, was probably one of the reasons she was having her dealings there if it was so close.

Crylon took in the first building, a well made two story afair, made of laid bricks and heavy timber beams, bars over the windows. It appeared this would be where he would be resting, and taking his room. Apparently it had other facilities, including a place for fighting and training physically. When she querried Crylon on what to call it, Crylon recalled back to Ravok where he had trained and sparred and worked his body.

“Is been one before, in other city. Business where train, learn, take lessons, of this. There, call dojo. But not sure if that name business, or name word.”

Passing that business, they came to the next lot which was apparently where they would be doing the work on the new facilities.

This lot currently held the remains of some kind of structure, rather large but now barely standing... And in some spots not standing at all. The rest was a little of trash, debris, and other refuse, with a stone wall that was incomplete or broken.

He listened to her advice, her plans, her wants for the land. He remained silent, doing his best to categorize and analyze as she spoke.

Clean it. Remove excess foliage, all but grass and trees. Storage area, secondary, for use in building, in meantime can use other building to store things... But would want assumed done before begin main building... Store tools and supplies as received, and in between work. Need lock. Plans formed. Hire people to work. Judge costs, materials and labor and things. Tools. Once she was done and asked his opinion, Crylon closed his eyes and held up one arm to forestall any talking as he ran it all through his mind. Opened his eyes, hand still up, to eye the land. Made some rough estimates. Considered shapes. Considered the ruins still there. Considered what she wanted... Which he had only half heard and would need a recounting of. After considering for about five chimes, a rather lengthy bit of time, Crylon let out a huff of air before responding.

“You say mine. Or say, stuff on surface, from mine. Means lots of mining. Lots of shafts, if that much dug out. But how far mines go? Just deep? Or wide? Maybe go out to here? If so, might need careful, afore put too much weight on land. Previous building, it ruin. Not standing. But why? If foundation not good, maybe need rebuild. Make new. Or make new anyways, if bigger building need so hold more weight. And if mine below... May need reinforce ground. Will need to do some testing. Dig some holes, things, see if find any signs. If do, may need reinforce, or fill, before continue make bottom, foundation. But not know till know, till test. Till check. And even so, may miss. Need to be thorough. If lots of mine... Shafts... If any below, may be problem. Mine shafts, things ever fall in? Things on surface collapse, into shaft?”

“To start... Can clear land. Remove bad. Make room. But not prepare ground, not make build, until make sure ground good, hold weight. Will take time. Make test shaft, for lay foundation, see if anything below... They make foundation for other building? It good? Need replace? Even put in one?”

Letting out a sigh, Crylon looked at Kelski, letting out one more huff of air.

“Lots work. Take time. But need good ground, afore do anything more. Otherwise, may be problems later.”
Crylon Stonecraft
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Next