[Generic Humans' Pride] Oh the Humanity!

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This forum is dedicated to housing a thread for each race wherein each race gets to keep in touch with each other, check-in, chit-chat, plot the further advancement of their race, tell jokes, post pictures, keep in contact, etc. Look for your race's thread and feel free to join in the discussion - whatever that may be on any given day!

Postby Gale Austin McCenry on February 7th, 2013, 4:41 am

No Racial pride since last year! How horrifying!! Come on you guys, we haven't died down yet, have we?!

To try and kick this thread back into action, I'm going to answer the previous questions and then ask one of my own.

Alric Wilmot wrote:No, no. I'm glad you posted Growl. The Human pride thread has been lacking lately. You know, we all realize the wonderful freedom in being human. And each of us has said as much in our own special ways. But I wonder, what are we doing with our freedom? What are we becoming?

I'd like to ask everyone to share their character's immediate and long term goals. Let us see how high we can aim, when not bound by limits. My own character's immediate goal is to master Hypnosis, my long term, to master everything. Tell me everyone, are your dreams also so impossible? Or are you more in touch with reality?

As for Gale, it's a fairly long list, but Gale needs them, if you know what I mean.

1: Obviously, get over his wife's death. That's an important one, for sure.

2: Become a phenomena expert, maybe a phenomena investigator? Who knows.

3: Travel Mizahar collecting stories and possibly take his findings and making it into a book of some sort. He doesn't know this one yet.

4: Go to Endrykas, bond with a Strider, and learn webbing. This is the one I am currently working on, of the smaller goals.

5: settling down with someone. Have a kid. MAYBE a pet other then his strider.

6: He doesn't know it yet, but creating his own story is basically what he wants to achieve with his life. Yes, getting over Hana is a major goal for him, and he thinks that's what he wants, but in reality, he'll only realize that it contributes to his story later.

But enough of that. O-o

Minerva Agatha Zipporah wrote:/No human pride since Valentine's Day

*sad face*

/New human pride:

GUYS!

Why did you pick normal human? There are 20 races to choose from, and humans don't get any "cool" stuff like water breathing, shapeshifting, stone arms, and so forth. SO... what drew you to the human race?

*eagerly awaits your answers*

Why is Gale human? Now that is an interesting question. I suppose the main reason is that I just can't picture Gale as anything else. I mean, Gale as a buff Akalak? A giant Jamoura? I just can't see it. I didn't pick a sub race because I didn't find any fitting either, besides the Vantha. But then again, his eyes would stay the same to colour for forever since Gale always has that sad tone to him... for now.

But I guess another reason is because being human means I can start off "easy", so I am not being hunted down or spat on when I first begin or anything. Though, I was proven wrong when Gale got in a whole bunch of issues in his first few threads... But hey, that's the joy of writing and I'm glad it happened, and that I chose human.

Now, for my question. Since I've created this idea for Gale, I've been curious to see what others have to say about their characters.

What is the story that you hope to complete with your character? Is your story and their hopes for a story the same? What is something that you wish to inspire others with your character, if any? To be polite, I'll answer them as well.

I would say that Gale's story and my version of the story are very similar. Though Gale doesn't really know what he wants, in the big picture, his motives and wishes are in the general direction of what he thinks his story is, and along the guidelines of what my version is. If that made any sense.

As for inspiration goes, I suppose I'd like to create that feeling where something is tugging at your heart to do something or to try something new (Both IC and OOC! OOC is good too!) . One that would make you go,"Oh! I want my character to do this..." "I want her to become that...", ect. If Gale ever causes someone to try something new (IC or OOC) then I have done my job. ;)

Gale Austin McCenry
McPainty

Words: 701701
Joined roleplay: May 6th, 2012, 2:25 am
Blog: View Blog (1)
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 6
Featured Contributor (1) Mizahar Mentor (1)
Artist (1) Peer Reviewer (1)
Overlored (1) Trash Medal (1)

Postby Vincent C on February 28th, 2013, 8:21 pm

McGale wrote:What is the story that you hope to complete with your character? Is your story and their hopes for a story the same? What is something that you wish to inspire others with your character, if any?

Good questions. I'll have a crack at them.

1. The story you hope to complete.

A slew of answers comes to mind when considering the overall story arc of Vincent Canterville. On the one hand I have a somewhat clear direction I want to aim towards, but on the other I'm definitely prone to spontaneity, chance and good old changes of heart.

Plan too much and I find myself restricted. It was this very problem I had when first writing my character sheet. I spent too long going over the details again and again, changing things here and there depending on what mood I was in. The result was a forever edited mishmash of ideas that over time began to degrade in quality, (at least for me).

The cure for what was essentially a form of procrastination proved simple.

First of all we printed out every last page we had on Vincent, a stack of information that clocked in at 236 pages. We drank margaritas and laughed about how George Lucas ruined the magic of our childhood memories when Jedi were just Jedi without all the midichlorian crap. Once the printer sputtered out the last page and died, we collected our mammoth stack and headed into the wild, (another name for outside the house).

After sifting through our third trash can, doubts began to creep in that we might not find the disbanded and tattered clothes we knew we'd seen Mr. Cartwright discard the day before. But thankfully trash can number four proved fruitful and our mission could carry on in earnest.

Taking the clothes, we stuffed them full of the papers we had printed until we had created a somewhat overweight Guy Faulks looking figure. Using some hay from Mr. Cartwright's stable we were able to plug the arms and legs, and in the process giving our Guy a more 'scarecrow' looking demeanor.

Next we sat Guy upon a bed of miscellaneous junk that we judged ideal fuel for our bonfire of burning. The finishing touch was a dousing of petrol that we had to extract from the car, and we were done. Lighting that match and watching Guy go up in flames was one of the most powerful experiences I've ever had, though not for the way we had intended.

Instead of burning away all our doubts, worries and concerns over Vincent's character sheet, instead we were shocked yet amazed to find that the unruly fire had extended to the stables. Thankfully the stable was vacant of any horses since Mr. Cartwright had long since sold them to be used as pretend beef in lasagnes. But horses or not, the flames raced up the walls of the stable at a gallop and before long the entire building was awash in fire.

Mr. Cartwright was not best pleased. Furthermore we were unable to call for the fire services since the signal up here is just terrible. Driving into the nearest town was out too since we had foolishly used all the gas from the car to get this party started in the first place. Eventually the stables burned out and in its place was an ash covered carcass of a building that, in one way, I considered to be Vincent's purged soul. Gathering enough of the ashes to fill a teapot, I now keep it by my computer as a reminder of the perils of trying to plan things too much.

2. Your story versus Vincent's story.

I'm going to try very hard to answer this one sensibly. Here goes.

For now Vincent's just taking things day to day and for a lot of people that tends to be a pattern that we get into until a catalyst comes along. Why do today what you can put off until tomorrow? It's not a great philosophy, but it works for him all the same. If you really pressed him for answers, IC he'd shy away from discussing it. But deep down he knows that one day soon life can change. It's a change he fears and for now tries to ignore.

Now as for my own intentions for his story, I doubt Vincent would be too pleased to hear about it. Essentially a good character is one who grows. Sure, there was a time when I'd have gone for the warrior with the cool dual wield swords and a real bad attitude. Don't get me wrong, these 'win at everything' characters can work in the right hands, but those hands aren't mine.

So for Vincent I wanted to have someone who is very flawed. He's no athlete, instead walks with a limp and has a bad back. He's not handsome and well dressed, instead earthy and scruffy. But deep down he's not a bad person, (or a good person). That's something that might not ever be defined in such a black or white sense. It's the grey in between that for me has the most color. Hopefully out of that will grow a detailed character who's both interesting to write with and for others to read.

That's the plan anyway.

3. Inspiration to others.

Have fun and don't sweat the small stuff.

My Question

Alright, so to keep this thread going here is my question.

If your human could have one character trait from any of the other races, what would it be and why?
Vincent C
Player

Words: 7264
Joined roleplay: August 13th, 2012, 5:17 am

Postby Ethan Terran on April 10th, 2013, 6:21 am

So yeah go humans! Just popping for a bit :)

Ok so what trait from any race would i want Ethan to have? The Zith's hearing ability of course! How epic would that be for a blind man?
Ethan Terran
Through the Eyes of the Heart

Words: 60804
Joined roleplay: April 9th, 2013, 7:08 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby bladefu on June 6th, 2013, 5:47 pm

^^ Humans: Simple, brainy, and not oddballs! ^^ Who killed Hitler? Who started up English and outer-space translators from human to another language and another language to human? HUMANS!
bladefu
Player

Words: 54
Joined roleplay: June 6th, 2013, 5:38 pm

Postby Alric Wilmot on August 8th, 2013, 5:05 pm

It seems that this place has been rather vacant lately. Let's see if we can stir it up a bit. Now, we know humans are great, but what if you weren't human? What other creature would you be?

I think I might be a Charodae, if only because I really like the race but never see them. Of course, I have an alt... and he's a Benshira. But honestly that's because I have an actual story set up for him. If I could manage it, I would love to have another alt, but I barely pay attention to poor Davin as it is.

and, to answer the trait question, I would like to have the Konti's gifts. I always admired those.
"I'm Speaking"
"I'm speaking and using hypnosis"
I'm implanting thoughts using hypnosis
I have implanted an Obsession
Alric Wilmot
The Last Wilmot

Words: 375060
Joined roleplay: September 8th, 2011, 12:05 am
Blog: View Blog (7)
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Peer Reviewer (1) Overlored (1)

Postby Iliana on August 9th, 2013, 1:12 am

Welcome back Alric!! You may or may not remember me, its been a while ^.^. If you happen to be in Alvadas send me a PM and we can thread! <3
Iliana
Light Footed and Light Hearted

Words: 69751
Joined roleplay: October 19th, 2011, 5:47 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Gale Austin McCenry on December 30th, 2013, 8:26 pm

These poor, poor racial pride threads! Come on you humans! As Albert Einstin said!

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Oops, wrong quote. Here's his quote!

Human beings must have action; and they will make it if they cannot find it.

Let's show those other species that we're still in for the count!! Woo! Go humans! *throws confetti and blows air horns*

Gale Austin McCenry
McPainty

Words: 701701
Joined roleplay: May 6th, 2012, 2:25 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 6
Featured Contributor (1) Mizahar Mentor (1)
Artist (1) Peer Reviewer (1)
Overlored (1) Trash Medal (1)

Postby Shane Wallsly on December 30th, 2013, 10:06 pm

I picked Humanity because it's easy to forget the complex intricacies of man when you have such a brilliant work of High Fantasy like Mizahar. Mizahar is a bit like Middle Earth in it's uniqueness at the time. Middle Earth was incredibly unique and wonderful when first Tolkien dreamt it up and it was full of races and creatures bizarelly unhuman but Tolkien never forgot Man. The Hobbit, a book full of Dwarves and Hobbits, left the final dragon slaying moment to Bard a simple Man with a bow. Even in the Lord of the Rings which was chock full of Men the most interesting roles like Boromir and Aragorns were given to us the most unspectacular race of them all.

It is in our very nature to create from what we know and in these races, even in Mizahar, we have imparted a part of ourselves. The Akalak bred from our honour and vanity. The Konti from beauty and grace. Etc Etc but only Man the most simple and the most intricate can we find the truest and most original form.

Also, Go Humans... We rule!
Group Threads: 1/3

ImageImageImage

Clerk at Mystic Eye Fortune Telling
Shane Wallsly
Success Is The Only Option

Words: 284445
Joined roleplay: September 30th, 2013, 9:10 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 2
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)

Postby Cale Valiant Fox on March 8th, 2014, 9:30 pm

Why do humans rock? Best racial skill bonus!... And... Ummmm...
Credit to Yuri Lehrer for awesome Sig
Cale Valiant Fox
Chef and Aspiring Hero

Words: 10459
Joined roleplay: January 3rd, 2013, 11:23 pm
Character sheet

PreviousNext