The Price of Fortune (Marcus)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A city floating in the center of a lake, Ravok is a place of dark beauty, romance and culture. Behind it all though is the presence of Rhysol, God of Evil and Betrayal. The city is controlled by The Black Sun, a religious organization devoted to Rhysol. [Lore]

Postby Eselle on March 6th, 2012, 9:11 pm

Timestamp: Spring 5th, 511 AV

Eselle learned quickly there was an art to being an unknown observer; an art in which she herself was not particularly versed. The first few days after the storm had been chaotic to say the least and that very chaos is probably what had kept her free so far. When the commotion passed the seeress needed to find what she’d had come to Ravok seeking. Unfortunately, she saw no way to work with the governing people in her search. Even if she wasn’t an outsider and a potentially valuable commodity, Eselle had nothing but the vaguest sense of what she sought. It was a particularly vague calling; all she knew for certain was that her answers lay in Ravok. Simply being here had gotten her no closer so she had no choice but to begin searching, cautiously.

Never in Mura had she had cause to be afraid of the world beyond her doors, but it had taken bells just to leave the threshold of her rented room at Tarsin’s. When she finally left, it was only to find herself aimlessly wandering unsure of where to go or how to find the undefined. Though her furred cloak hid her face, especially the shimmering scales, she still felt exposed. It was a precarious hobby and so she took the first option she could find to get off the streets; a sign for The Silver Sliver pointed the way.

Lunch must just have passed because the barmaids seemed especially busy pulling back dishes into the kitchen. When one had time for the woman in white she ordered a common meal and mug of the tavern’s namesake. The Konti was careful to keep to simple sentences because a drawn out conversation would certainly reveal her lack of knowledge about their language. While in her room the last three days, Eselle had focused hard on mimicking the accent she had heard since her arrival. Even still, she could only maintain the accent with great focus and only for short period of time. She was a seer, a fortune teller, not a master of disguise.

After eating, she lingered. Without direction there was no way to search and discretion had to be an emphasis. In her mind, a slave would never be able to find the person she was called to. Her hands clasped around her deck of cards as she sought comfort from the familiar.

The epiphany came slowly but once the wick caught the candle burned brightly. A fortune teller was considered eccentric in most human cultures, a mysterious woman performing what they considered a parlor trick wouldn’t be terribly remarkable. Placing the cards down upon the table, besides her mostly full mug, Eselle called out to the first passerby. “Your fortune for two silver mizas?
Eselle
Fortune Teller

Words: 48492
Joined roleplay: March 2nd, 2012, 9:22 pm
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Marcus Ahysen on March 6th, 2012, 11:42 pm

And the first person to pass her by completely ignored her, as would many in Ravok. But Marcus didn't. Marcus noticed right off the pretty woman who entered the popular establishment, and when she started offering to read cards his interest was fully piqued. He'd always found fortune-tellers amusing, though he'd never met any who had any real talent. Now that would be something useful to the Black Sun, he thought to himself as he rose from his table to join the woman.

"I'll have a go," Marcus said as he arrived, placing a gold miza on the table as payment and taking his seat.

The Konti may not have been a master of disguise, but Marcus was certainly competent. He was not dressed as an Agent of the Black Sun that day. In fact, he rarely was. He was wearing all white. Beneath the collar of his shirt one could just make out his tattoos, painted on of course, and a truly knowledgeable person would recognize them as Wind Marks. Marcus had darkened his skin slightly with powders and cream so as to appear a man of the outdoors, and his already muscular build only added to the effect. To finish the job he had a false scar on his cheek to make it appear as if he'd been slashed. His accent, though not actually Drykas because he'd never actually met a Drykas, was not Ravokian either, but something he'd just made up on the fly.

Marcus noticed the cloak she had pulled up to hide her face, wondering if perhaps she was someone that shouldn't be there, or if she was just trying to appear mysterious. It could have been either, considering the profession she was in, but Marcus couldn't help but imagine what wonders hid in those shadows. Still, he'd only just arrived, and he couldn't over-do it much yet.

"Let's see what my future has in store, will we? If it involves another encounter with you I'm sure it will be a future worth having," he added with a wink.
Marcus Ahysen
Player

Words: 119215
Joined roleplay: January 24th, 2012, 10:20 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Eselle on March 7th, 2012, 3:32 pm

For a time, Eselle worried that no one would stop which would make this tactic completely ineffective. She even considered finding a new venue, perhaps this was simply a bad place. Until finally a voice spoke up to take her offer, “Please have a seat.” Bobbing her head gently in a nod she motion to the chair across from her. Most futures are inevitable she wanted to say but hadn’t all the words to articulate it appropriately in Common. Instead, she opted for a different turn of phrase. “Future is the Gods’ design, the cards may translate such events into ideas we may comprehend.” It seemed suitable mysterious to the Konti seeress. It confounded her how the other cultures so rarely understood the great benefit that insights into the future could provide.

Eselle spoke quietly but clearly, “Please shuffle the deck.” Reaching out to take the gold miza, she tried to be swift though slightest of hand weren’t her forte. The pale blue blouse could cover the backs of hand but not her knuckles where the golden scales ended; she hoped that if her hands were fast enough they would appear to be rings. Exchanging the gold miza for eight silver rimed coins in her purse she placed them back on the table. As if an amendment she had forgotten the Konti added, “With care.” The humans might not know to respect such tools as her sisters would.

If she had been more suited for stealth, Eselle would have taken the time to learn upon which hand the slaves were branded. One hand would be safer to show than the other, if he couldn’t confirm that she wasn’t a slave it might provide her a small shield of safety. Reaching out with her dominant left hand she placed it palm up upon the table to receive the cards back from her customer. If she could make the man touch her hand she would learn her first piece of information about him.

Have you had your fortune told before?” she inquired mostly innocently. Eselle already had a layout in mind but if he knew about her art then she would need to change. To most humans it might seem a petty diversion where the placement of the cards didn’t matter, but the Konti knew certain arrangements could reveal more than others
Eselle
Fortune Teller

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Marcus Ahysen on March 8th, 2012, 11:49 pm

"Ah," Marcus responded with a chuckle as he reached for the deck and began to carefully shuffle. "But there are some who might say only the gods should now their designs, are there not?"

After he was done he handed the deck back, not shying away from the upturned palm. "Do not worry, though, I am not such a man that shares those beliefs." When their skin touched Eselle would know he was marked, but of course Marcus didn't know that. He kept his eyes forward, trying to pierce the veil of shadow beneath the woman's hood. There was something there, something unique, that he couldn't quite place his finger on. Whatever it was, it was surely alluring. If things went the way he hoped they would he would certainly be seeing this mysterious temptress again, in a more private setting ideally.

"I have," he gave in answer to her question, "Though I find it hard to believe he was possessed of any real talent. According to him, I should have married and had kids years ago."

Indeed Marcus had seen a fortune teller before, but he knew for a fact the man wasn't real. It was all just part of the act, a peddler of fortunes in a stage production which Marcus himself had played the leading role. The man wasn't even a real fortune teller though he had told Marcus, or rather Flavius the Decider, that he would be married and have many children. The konti didn't need to know that though, she asked and Marcus told. Was it a lie when it was partially true? Not that Marcus ever worried about the truth. Even his appearance at that moment was a lie.

"If you don't mind my asking, does the fortune teller have a name? I'd tell you mine, but perhaps you were going to guess it? The last one surely tried."
Marcus Ahysen
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Eselle on April 2nd, 2012, 1:46 am

oocI am so very sorry for my long time between these replies, things got crazy!

Eselle smiled obligingly, “The fortune is in you, not us. He was surely fake if he claimed something so...certain. ” The briefest touch they shared, in way, brought the Konti comfort. On Mura, everyone felt as he did and it was familiar, but her comfort lasted only a moment. Reminding herself that this was not Mura, he was not a Konti, and that whichever God and taken an interest in this man it was likely not Avalis. On two counts the seeress had to watch her guard, one this was Ravok and anyone may be an enemy and two he was a man; a creature which she was woefully inexperienced with.

One-by-one, Eselle placed the cards between them. Three making up one row should be sufficient, more could illuminate more but she dare not ask for specifics if he had his fortune told before. It could prove disastrous if he recognized the layout and knew she fed him only half-truths. Adjusting the cards she answered after careful thought, “I think that if any God wishes us not to know their plans, we would not; especially so if you are speaking of Ravok’s.” Though the Konti hadn’t actually used his name; Rhysol, she still felt nervous at the reference which made her eye the cards, worried what effects this city may have on the outcome. Please not the Tower again. she begged inwardly.

Throwing her customer a simper accompanied with mild closed-lipped laugh, “I don’t have my runestones here or perhaps I might. But you may call me Es-“. She cut off momentarily she flipped the first card. To her may have seemed an appropriate excuse but in reality she’d almost given her name. “Esther. May I know yours?” Her eyes slid from the cards upwards to meet his just briefly and in quick flick they returned to the cards.

This first, is past.” The fortune teller tapped the left most card with a delicate fingertip. Still she refused to place both hands in sight, deferring to her left. The card itself was a lovingly hand-painted rendition of the three of chalices. Three cheerful goblets interconnected with woven seaweed and open shells for each corner. “Three chalices for your past is a happy card. It means times remembered with friends or family, or perhaps a grand party.” The Konti could not help but laugh, it was much more forward than before an organic emotion. “it could even mean a wedding.
Eselle
Fortune Teller

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Marcus Ahysen on April 2nd, 2012, 9:28 pm

OOCQuite alright, I'm not in any rush.

It was a bit odd how she only used one hand, and how she always held it in such a way that Marcus could only see the palm. But the thought was so minor, so fleeting, that it passed with barely an instant's consideration. For all he knew the thing with the hands could simply be her method of telling fortunes.

Marcus did note two curious things, however. First was her avoidance at using the name of Rhysol, and the second was her abrupt interruption in telling him her name. True, she tried to play it off by flipping the card, but as one who was experienced in taking on false identities, Marcus could tell a lie when he saw one. Truly though, neither were unusual. Outsiders were often afraid to speak of Rhysol, for they did not yet understand him, and many people in Ravok used fake names for one reason or another.

"Esther, is it? Such a beautiful name for a beautiful lady. My name is," Marcus barely paused as a list of names ran through his head and he picked the first one that came to mind, "Victor. Victor Lark. It's a pleasure to meet you."

Marcus inwardly chuckled at the name he'd chosen. Any long time resident of Ravok would know he was lying about being a Lark, but Esther was clearly not from around. And Victor had not been seen in Ravok for many years. Most presumed him dead, which was in fact exactly why Marcus had chosen the name. Who would recognize Victor, save for his family? And there was very little chance he might accidentally run into the real Victor, thus, a perfect alias.

Marcus chuckled as she revealed the meaning of the first card, the chalices. "Alas, no weddings in my wife, I am single. Not to say I'm not on the lookout for a lovely lady, that is." Marcus paused, considering his response to the rest of the explanation. "I do suppose it has been a while since I last saw my family. Those were good times." Marcus briefly toyed with the idea in his mind that perhaps the grand party she mentioned was in fact his celebration after receiving his mark, though that party was not with his biological family, but his family under Rhysol.

"Let's see the next card," he said after a moment, enjoying the strange little game they were playing.. or rather he was playing. He wasn't certain yet if she had caught on.
Marcus Ahysen
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Eselle on April 4th, 2012, 6:46 am

Eselle bobbed her head in acquiescence and reached for the middle card. Mumuring above the constant conversation around them, she supplied the appropriate nicety. "A pleasure to meet you, Victor," she said with eyes trained upon the card's face. So simple, the card was dominated by a large gold rimmed miza, and in meaning the interpretation was easy as well. What had the Konti nervous was what the card may mean in this context. To hide her nerves she explained, “The second card is about the present. A choice you will make soon. This card is the ace of mizas, it means a good chance or gift…” The seeress paused with dual intent, the best explanation she could provide that kept her out of harm’s way but also the language barrier had interceded. “Like a road that splits suddenly; one way will be good fortunes but the other is still unknown.” The truth of the matter was that the ace of mizas implied an opportunity for monetary gain, perhaps an as of yet unseen opportunity; such as a free Konti in Ravok.

Reaching for her nearly untouched mug, the Konti tried to hide her anxiety in her drink. The entire situation seemed to illuminate just how foolish this entire trip had been, call or not; she was unprepared. Setting the cup down far more gently than tavern tableware often saw, she turned back to Marcus. “It seems you are lucky, Victor. And, there is still one card left.” Though she knew all of the cards, Eselle was hard-pressed to fathom a card both better for him and worse for her that might appear during the reading. At least the Tower has not appeared. She tried to take it as a blessing, but that middle card made her unsure. Then again this was his fortune; the chance that it had nothing to do with the woman reading for him was feasible. To allow the subject to draw their own conclusion was a basic element of fortune telling and so she tried not to influence him further.

Now, the final card is an important part of your future.” Eselle offered the precursor before gingerly flipping the final card. “Another ace, very good. You must be an important person for two to show for you.” It was mostly babble to cover her growing unease, though this card was not nearly as foreboding as the second had been. The ace of staves hand shown upright, curiously the Konti noted now that all three cards had shown upright; not remarkably unusual but still worthy of remark. The ace of staves showed what appear to be no more than a traveler’s walking staff though some might recognize it for more if they noted the delicate line work painted upon the rod. “This card means that you will receive a chance in the future and you should accept it fully. This chance may be started by good health…” She paused to paw through her internal lexicon, “good creativity, or a child.” It was a poor translation but the Konti simply didn’t have the word ‘fertility’ to offer as explanation. Lips spreading into a gentle, though forced, smile, Eselle looked up from the cards upon the table towards Marcus. “It was a good reading; few people are given such good signs.

Silently behind her faked smile the Konti prayed to her Goddess that the man would not see the possibilities she did in these cards. That Victor would supply an alternate meaning. With the reading done and the chance for any further omens complete, her nerves began to settle and wait for his interpretation; if he even chose to share it.
Eselle
Fortune Teller

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Marcus Ahysen on April 13th, 2012, 9:33 pm

Victor sat quietly through the rest of the reading, allowing her to tell his fortune as she would. The second card was an interesting one. What gift could her card be talking about? Marcus could think of only one gift he wanted at that moment that had to do with the present, and it was sitting right before him. Not as a slave, no, but as a beautiful woman who was in desperate need of a night in his bed. But then again, he hadn't noticed the scales yet, he didn't know what she really was. Still, the fortune seemed pleasing enough to him.

The final card was sealed the deal in his mind. Fertility? Well, he wasn't looking to have a child, but that was always a risk when two people spent the night together. It was a sure enough sigh that she wanted the same thing that he did. He didn't really believe that the cards had anything to do with the actual future, but her explanations were a clear enough sign to him.

Marcus offered her a sincere smile in return and leaned forward a bit, his right hand reaching across the table to gently clasp around hers. "Thank you very much for the reading, Esther. It was quite enlightening." He let go and sat back, likely to the relief of the konti across from him. He hadn't noticed the scales, or if he had, he said nothing about them. Instead his mind was on other things.

"So... do you have somewhere to stay tonight? Nights in Ravok have been rather chilling lately. It would be a shame for you to have to spend them cold and alone."

OOCSorry for taking so long to respond. It's been rather busy IRL for me lately.
Marcus Ahysen
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Sphinx on December 20th, 2012, 6:07 am

Eselle

Award
Skill XP Earned Lore Earned
Disguise 3 XP • Rightfully Wary of Ravok and Her People
Subterfuge 1 XP • Disguise: Esther the Fortune Teller
Fortune Telling 2 XP • Flirting with Danger

Marcus Ahysen

Award
Skill XP Earned Lore Earned
Disguise 3 XP • Disguise: Drykas Male
Subterfuge 2 XP • Disguise: My Name is Victor Lark

The Sphinx's Riddle
This was a great thread! I loved the lying and flirting and all the little nuances these two had with eachother. I particularly found "Victor Lark" an amusing choice of name. It's too bad this thread ended so soon!

Good show!

If you have any questions or concerns regarding your grade, please send me a PM and we can figure it out. :)

Sphinx
She smiled, and it was frightening.

Words: 76081
Joined roleplay: May 29th, 2012, 6:54 pm
Race: Kelvic
Office
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes